Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• jimlockeyjimlockey Posts: 265
    There are two changes that I would like to see for the 500. Add a diesel option and find out about the new automatic transmissions coming out of Europe that gives fuel mileage almost as good as a manual transmission. Add those and I will purchase the 500 from now on.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    I wonder if the telescoping steering column from the Volvo S80 or something else would fit the Montego? ANT14 - do you know?
  • If the telescoping steering column from the Focus was good enough to be used in the Ford GT, maybe it's good enough to be used in the Five Hundred...

Yes, I know that Ford has some reason, but it is a bit odd that a telescoping steering column isn't available when Ford includes them as standard in so many of their other vehicles.
  • Mark,
    If you live near one of TireRacks warehouses, you can even just drive over to it and they will mount and balance the tires for free. No shipping charges that way, either!
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    but we have a discussion here where you can Ask Connor at the Tire Rack anything about tires or about Tire Rack or anything like that. Just thought I'd give you a link in case you are interested.
  • garandmangarandman Posts: 524
    It's pretty bad when a Hyundai Sonata kicks butt big time with what it offers to buyers, and the new up-graded XG350, forgot the new name, is unreal, and will draw maybe people from all car dealers. Talk about going in the right direction, something Ford doesn't seem to understand.

Yes, legions of Ford, Honda, and Toyota owners are streaming to Hyundai dealers to look at the smaller, less powerful, and more expensive to own (as calculated by the Edmunds TMV) XG350. Or not....;-)

The rear end of the 350 is proof that Ford's decision to style the 500 conservatively [ie, tastefully] was the right one for the large sedan market.
  • Why not look for 17"rims for snow tread?Rims should be available buy 17" snow treads and change them from the 18.5's one time cost,may make !8.5's last for yrs.
    lizzzard
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    I don't know if this is the correct answer about why there is no telescoping steering column but here is something that alot of people may not know about the Ford Five Hundred. The Five Hundred has one of the first uses of an:

Adaptive steering column
    Collapses in different ways during frontal impacts, depending on the amount of crash energy, the driver's size and seat position. An energy absorbing "bend sheet" holds the upper and lower portions of the steering column together. The shape of the bend sheet helps control the collapse of the steering column in an impact. Using components of the Personal Safety System,™ a computer "brain" determines how quickly the steering column should collapse.

Mark
    The adaptive steering column is good for safety, but what good is it if you can't be comfortable driving the car? I found a Ford dealer who will rent a Five Hundred, and a Mercury dealer who offered a five hour test drive in a Montego, so I will do one or both to give the car one more chance.

To me, the Montego and Magnum are both cars with big cargo areas. The Montego Premier AWD with every option except the sun roof has almost an identical invoice price ($27,581) as the Magnum SXT with the head curtain air bags, power pedals, Bluetooth, Sirius, and upgraded sound system ($27,406), but the Montego has the following features not on the Magnum:

Uses regular gasoline
    Side (torso) air bags in addition to the head curtain air bags
    HID headlights
    LED tail lights
    No blind spots
    Top crash test ratings
    All wheel drive
    Compass
    Homelink
    Reverse proximity sensors
    Automatic headlights (although the 300C switch is easy to add)
    Classy appearance
    Bottle holders in doors
    Automatic two zone air conditioning
    Leather seats with perforations
    Heated seats
    Leather steering wheel
    Trip Computer
    More color choices
    Steering wheel radio controls

The Magnum has the following features not on the Montego:

Telescoping steering wheel
    Wider seats and more spacious interior
    Factory Bluetooth option
    Factory Sirius radio option
    Stability control
    cabin air filter
    dimming exterior mirrors from the 300C could be installed
    rain sensing wipers from the 300C could be installed
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    That post was not in reference to the XG350, but the XG350 *replacement*, the Azera. (Which will be similar in size to the Five Hundred, hella more powerful, and offer more amenities at a similar price... including stability control standard and side thorax and curtains for ALL outboard passengers).

~alpha
    After posting the above, I realized that the Magnum was too much of a compromise. I rechecked teh NHTSA side wreck test results, and the Five Hundred without side bags did far better than the Magnum with the side curtain bags. I canceled the Magnum order. I will wait and buy a 2007 model - either a Five Hundred sedan or a SportTrac car-truck.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    No offense, but to my knowledge, the Dodge Magnum has never been tested by NHTSA with its optional side curtain airbags, and the scores are only one star behind the Five Hundred's.

http://www.safercar.gov/Index2.cfm

(You have to select the 2005 Dodge Magnum from that link. Only one entry will show up, and when you click on it, you will see that it was not tested with side airbags).

~alpha
  • Alpha,
    If you look at the crash test of the Five Hundred, you will notice that it was not tested with the option side airbags either. I remember hearing that the Five Hundred is the first car to ever receive a 5-star side impact rating without side airbags. Has anyone else heard that? Is it true?
    If you click on the stars on the NHTSA web site, it gives more detail, especially the head injury and thorasic injury numbers - the numbers for the Five Hundred are far lower. Also, most new Ford vehicles, including the Five Hundred, have both side (torso) air bags and head curtain air bags, while the Magnum only has the head curtain air bags.
  • fdcapt2fdcapt2 Posts: 122
    Thanks for understanding my post, Alpha. I thought I made it clear that I was talking about the Azera, and not the 350. As far as people "streaming" to Hyundai dealers, I bet it'll be a strong possibility once the new Sonata and Azera are in stock. If the Montego only had some of the extras that the Azera has, it'd be a killer car, and I'd be driving one by now. But it doesn't come close, which is a real shame. I really do wish that I could wait for the more powerful engine to be ready, but I can't. Ford tried to do the right thing with the 500/Montego but didn't have all the right pieces in place. Who knows, maybe I'll still end up with a Montego some day, but not like the ones they are selling now. :cry:
    fdcapt2 - Yes, the current progress of Hyundai/Kia is amazing, although they are still behind on engines. I think that Ford simply underestimated the market. I strongly suspect that there are many others like me who would not mind paying $3,000 more for the car if that money bought the missing features we want. The reportedly much higher than expected sales of the Limited/Premier versions and all-wheel drive is ample evidence of the market demand for something more than stripped cars cheap. I even think that the rough and unpleasant engine noises are just as much, or more, of a problem than lack of power.

I just read the list of 2006 production start dates. They will start production of the 2006 Five Hundred / Montego / Freestyle on July 18, 2005. That is only three months away, so I wonder why we do not know more about the changes?
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Posts: 468
    In this discussion of crash results, we are forgetting an important safety factor: visibility- the Magnum is like driving in a cave. Visibility in the 500-Montego-Freestyle is excellent.
  • tiger10tiger10 Posts: 46
    fords glory and good days seem to be coming to an end right now.including the Lincoln/Mercury. sales are considerably going down as shown on tv. their sales are dropping every month. while GM is also doing pretty bad but nowhere near where Ford is. BMW,TOYOTA,NISSAN and HYUNDAI are having a nice time their sales are going up like rockets. the main reason for the downfall of ford is that they looked more into trucks while the others got away with the cars,suvs trucks everything and even introduced the hybrids first(JAPANESE ARE SMART).and GM doesnt even have a hybrid right now, they are planning to introduce one later this year. good luck to Ford.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    You might want to check out our News & Views board to discuss that point of view. We are talking about the Five Hundred/Montego here, not the state of Ford as a manufacturer.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    ...with the harping about "missing features" and being prepared to spend $3k more for them. I am unprepared to spend that sort of money on the kinds of alleged shortcomings I've heard about here. The only thing I find to grump about with this car is making the complete safety package optional - all the airbags, including the curtains, should just be part of the deal. More power? Only if it could be had without compromising fuel consumption.

If this car can establish, within a couple of model years, a sound reputation for reliability and fit/finish to rival the Japanese, then they will have nothing to worry about. That's the make-or-break issue for me, not the grumbling about this or that missing feature. It's already a great package, if they can only prove they know how to screw them together properly....we'll see...