Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• garandmangarandman Posts: 524
    Hre's what I don't get. Car writers fall all over themselves over the extraordinarily mundane Accord (I own one) and Camry. But the tasteful 500 gets clobbered. What gives?
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    It's fashionable and hip to bash American cars and like foreign cars, even if (some would say particularly if) you do not know what you are talking about....

That's a good part of it, for sure...
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    Gmctruck - The very first time I sat in a Five Hundred, I tried to pull the steering wheel out. After sitting in and driving many of them, I finally gave up on them (Five Hundred, Montego, Freestyle) just because of the problem of obtaining a good seating position and the excessive noise from the drivetrain. I would like to have the better fuel mileage of the Freestyle, but have a 2006 Explorer on order. It would be a real surprise if Ford does not offer a telescoping steering column in 2007. The power pedals do not help, as they are more for short drivers, not tall drivers. I also visited a Ford dealer which offered to allow me to take a Freestyle for a long / overnight test drive.
    It is interesting to note that the Fusion/Milan, a smaller midsize to come from Ford this fall, DOES have a telescoping/tilt wheel....

Perhaps Ford has learned a lesson and will indeed include it in the next reskin for the Five Hundred/Montego...
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Come on over to Ford, they won't bite! I did in 1990 switching off from GM sedans and haven't gone back. GM just turned me off when my 1983 Chevy Celebrity had the same bugs that GM didn't fix from Citation of four years earlier which shared much of the same drive train, suspension and brakes, which I had hoped GM would have improved, but they did not.

Seriously I know GM's quality has made leaps and bounds, just like all the domestics, but I have not had a good reason to go back from Ford for mainstream family sedans.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Mazda6 has a telescoping wheel, Ford probably found it cheaper to keep than to decontent.

also ALL FWD Five Hundreds come with the Aisin 6 speed.
    ALL AWD Five Hundreds come with the ZF/Ford CVT

Mark
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    That is not true, at least in the early production runs. I have checked inventory on line of local dealers and they have FWD versions with the CVT. Ford may have changed the mix due to availability issues of the CVT, but CVT front wheel only Five Hundreds are on some dealer lots.

It is true however that all AWD versions have the CVT exclusively.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    If you get around to test driving a Dodge Charger with the 3.5, the same engine in the Dodge Magnum or the Chrysler 300, I'd be interested in your impressions.
    Originally, the FWD SEL and Limited came with the 6 speed, while the FWD SE and all AWD's came with the CVT. I later heard that all FWD SE's were switched to the 6 speed, yet after that still saw newly produced FWD SE's come onto the lots with the CVT. Confused yet?

The ONE thing I DO know is that there are indeed Limiteds built with either transmission..but in all the Limiteds, the CVTs are in the AWD and the 6 speeds in the FWD...
  • gmctruckgmctruck Posts: 186
    Well now... it's funny that you mentioned that! I did stop by our local Dodge dealer to ask about the charger. The dealer had sold the only one they had, but three more are on the way and will be in next week. I was promised a phone call when they hit the ground, so we'll see next week. :D :D
  • rjj60rjj60 Posts: 1
    Not true. Five Hundred FWD SE has CVT, the only FWD Five Hundred to have this. All other levels of FWD have 6-speed. ALL AWD models have CVT.
    Newly built FWD SE's are now available with the 6 speed.... I know, I saw one today! Right beside it was another SE with a CVT. All other FWD models (SEL and Limited) have only the six speed. Originally, you could only get the FWD SE with a CVT....

As you can see here, the FWD SE now is built with the 6 speed:

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/ford/fivehundred/100396387/prices.html

BUT, click on options, and a CVT is a $0 option!!!!

Haven't we about beat this horse to death?
  • jlsnmjlsnm Posts: 2
    johnclineii, I always appreciate your sensible posts, and those of ANT14. My wife and I recently test-drove a Five Hundred with the 6 speed. We found it comfortable, quiet, nimble for its size, and plenty powerful. The entry-level SE is an excellent value. Just one thing: I long for the return of interior colors beyond the ubiquitous gray, black, and tan.
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    Remember the "seafoam" green of the 90's...or the full blount red some Lincolns had? Or even the blue interior? Those were amusing then, but unfortunately they just add complexity to the build of a vehicle. The most you might get now is sort of a 2-tone (with a shocking color) like that of the Mustang. Available in red/black. But other than that, the selection is limited on all vehicles because of build complexity.

Now the industry norm is really just 2 colors, black and tan. Next you have the black, tan, grey combo which is common with some automakers. Then you have luxury vehicles which have anything from "parchment" to "saddle".... then again, your paying the luxury sticker for that choice as well.
  • savethelandsavetheland Posts: 671
    I love Mercedes E class. It has blue interior. Very refreshing.
    The GTO also offers various interior colors. I also remember cars with more interior color choices. Why would offering more interior colors be more complex now than in 1965?
  • kpevavkpevav Posts: 41
    I bought a 500 SEL about six weeks ago and have 900 miles on it. I find almost everything about it just fine, including the seating, power, handling, and construction. However, my left foot is never comfortable -- I cannot move it far enough to the left to make it so. I'm not tall, either, it just never rests correctly. I have seen several other posts about the cramped foot space and wonder why this is such an annoying problem. I have even priced trading it in on something else!
    I think that it would not be too difficult to add some material, perhaps a shaped block of wood attached with double stick tape, to make the entire area at the left dead pedal even. You might even be able to place it under the carpet. Ford could and should obviously do something much nicer. A piece of plywood was very helpful in making our '94 Thunderbird (LX, so no dead pedal) comfortable for me to drive.

The right side of the footwell also needs work, as the console is too wide, and for no good reason. The one in the Freestyle is narrower, and there is still plenty of room for the shifter and cup holders. It would also look better if it were not so wide and square, and the shifter would look less like something tacked on top of the console as an afterthought.

I read that the console was redesigned by some guy in Europe at the last minute after the Ford market research people told him that the cup holders were not big enough.

If you sit in a Volvo S-80, the left footwell problem and the too-wide console are both there.
  • kpevavkpevav Posts: 41
    I had thought that a triangle-shaped piece of wood might be useful, and so am glad to hear your solution. I will work out the measurements -- unless someone already has done so -- and see if I can get it cut for me.
    Although primarily about Fusion, there are some interesting hints about the future of Five Hundred here (and perhaps even more so about Crown Vic/Grand Marquis):

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0507/03/A01-235800.htm