Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    Will we see anything significant at the Detroit show for the 2007 model year, or will the Five Hundred and Montego languish without improvement until the 2008 model year?
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    Define improvement? This year it received DVD, and Navi system.

Anything significant such as the larger 3.5L Duratec V6, or new re-styling won't come up till the mid-cycle upgrades, which is still about over a year away.
    Thanks, ANT14. I was hoping that they might push ahead the mid-cycle revision, but I guess that I should have known that the strong sales would preclude that.

I haven't been to Detroit (the city) since the mid-1980s. It seems that January of 2007, when the show will feature the 2008 models, will be a better time to go to Detroit and take my wife to the Ford Museum and so-forth. The last time I was there, I was a customer of a software company which held a private party for the user group members in the Ford Museum.

I'll just go to the Anaheim show this week and the LA show in 2007.

Is anyone else here going to Anaheim?
  • had better have at least 250 hp, preferably 280 now that the avalon is out.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    Two years ago, having a 3.5 was probably an imperative, but right now I'd say the strongest selling points of the Five Hundred are

safety - from its Volvo "dna";

size inside vs. size outside - out of the most space efficient cars out there (and the stadium seating gives a "commanding" view of the road; and

GAS MILEAGE, say what you will about the "smallness" of the 3.0, gas mileage is among the best for this size car - and it still accelerates 8.5 0-60! That gas mileage is a direct result of the small displacement of the current engine!
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Posts: 468
    Has anyone with a CVT 500 or Montego had any problems?
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    "had better have at least 250 hp, preferably 280 now that the avalon is out."

The Avalon now has 268HP...280HP was before the new standards of reporting correct HP where phased in this a few months ago..
  • Why should Ford, and American companies, in general, be content with matching the competition?

Why can't we have 280hp when toyota has 268. Their power has been lowered, thats great, but it does not mean we have to relax, now is the time to STRIKE!

Ford could score a big hit if they smash the avalon HP while keeping the fuel economy constant. Ford has a great car on its hands. They need to finish the job. Offer the 3.5, and make it top notch. We know it can do 270. We should see this in the Five Hundred.

I'm telling you ant, if the sales and MKT share gains won't recoup the investment, the media representation for the FIve Hundred will be well worth it.

Otherwise its just... "Ford has improved, but still lags behind the superior Japanese competition."

Not something any red while and blue blooded American wants to hear.
    Hell, Ford can do it this time, its all a matter of will.
    We went to the Anaheim Auto Show yesterday. I am still drawn to the Five Hundred and Montego. The front of both is stodgy, but the sides and rear look very nice. I sat in one of them again and found a comfortable seating position where my arms were slightly flexed to reach the steering wheel. However, my right leg was hard against the boxy console, and my left foot was forced towards to far to the center. I like to sit with my legs spaced with 18" to 19" between the centers of my knees. If I moved the seat back to get more leg space, I could not reach the steering wheel. I still do not understand why they are waiting untilthe 2008 model year to add a tlescopings teering column, redesign the console and part of the instrument panel it intersects, add satellite radio, and add teh bigger engine (not for power, but to get rid of the noise when it struggles to move the car).

Besides the Lexus LS430, they are the only cars with a such a big trunk.
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    For you CVT owners:

1) On continued steady up-grades, does the engine/transmission sound or feel distressed?

2) Do you get adequate engine braking on down-grades?
  • w9cww9cw Posts: 888
    micweb wrote: "size inside vs. size outside - out of the most space efficient cars out there (and the stadium seating gives a "commanding" view of the road; and"

I'm in the market for a Five Hundred, and was looking through a couple of magazines recently, and interestingly the interior dimensions listed for both the Five Hundred and Taurus were somewhat baffling. In practically every interior dimension (front and rear) listed, except for only a couple, the Taurus' were greater than the Five Hundred. Hmm . . . I need to take my tape measure and do some measuring.
  • jtfordjtford Posts: 12
    How is it that the Fusion has variable valve timing and 220hp in the 3.0L V6 while the larger Ford 500 does not and must continue to makes do with 203hp?

-Jeff
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Posts: 468
    The Fusion version may have more horsepower, but at higher rpms. It has a little less torque. I doubt you could tell the difference in the same weight vehicle. Maybe the 500 Duratec needs the broader torque band and the Fusion may benefit from higher rpm driving????
  • jtfordjtford Posts: 12
    Does anyone know if any aftermarket stereo manufacturer makes a head unit (preferably double-DIN, but not a must-have requirement) that allows both satellite radio functionality yet still interfaces with the Ford 500's steering wheel controls?

-Jeff
  • fdcapt2fdcapt2 Posts: 122
    After many, many months of checking out all kinds of cars, I stopped at a local Ford dealer tonight to see if they had the Fusion, they didn't. They had an '06 500 SEL, Blue w/ pebble interior. I was knocked out by how good this car looked, and I've test driven the 500/Montego many times, so I've seen these cars before. Maybe it was the color, but whatever, it was really nice. I was really impressed with the fit and finish of the interior, much better then the first few times I checked out these cars. If it only had the 3.5, I'd be driving it tomorrow. I never had a blue car before, this might change.....
  • There is news about ford making a lincoln coupe based on the mustang platform, does anyoneknow anything about this??? If true, I hope lincoln won't screw up the name like they did with the "mark LT" when it should have been the "Navigator LT".

Meybe, PLEASE, could they call it the Mark IX?
  • gene_vgene_v Posts: 235
    The local dealer is loaded with SE's with CVT.
    Priced around 23K. Couldn't find them on 2005's.
  • Is the Montego a quieter ride than the 500?
  • gene_vgene_v Posts: 235
    Put "Montego Insulation" in the above search box.
  • Thanks, Gene!