Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• gene_vgene_v Posts: 235
    The Five Hundred can't compete with the Hyundai Azera.
    Unbelievable car loaded with standard features. Its what a flagship car should be. :sick: :sick:
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    Let's see - The Hyundai does not have all wheel drive, does not have a huge trunk, does not have a Gold safety rating from the Insurance Institute For Highway Safety, and does have the reasale value of Hyundai. Yes, it has features the Five Hundred and Montego need to have available NOW (e.g. rain sensing wipers).
    I thought I would get a rise. Just having fun. You miss a lot of things. Eight airbags are standard, as are electronic stability control, traction control, antilock brakes with electronic brake-force distribution and active front seat head restraints. A 16.6 cu ft trunk is not small. It has more headroom than a 500 40.2 vs 39.4. It has more legroom 43.7 vs 41.2. And it is not underpowered with a 3,8 liter cvvt 260 HP engine. And it is quiet inside.
    Then there is the interior - it beats the 500 hands down.
    Sound system is awesome.
    Just go look at it.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    I just lumped everything into one category - features. I have sat in Azeras at the car shows and felt the interior was cheap and flimsy. Given the price of the Five Hundred and Montego, Ford just can not afford to stay so far behind so many competitors when it comes to features. The Azera, Avalon, Chrysler 300, and even new Camry exceed it by a wide margin when it comes to features, and the 300 even also offers AWD. The Volvo S80 and Lincoln Mark S will probably have a long and even more impressive list of features, but those cars will sell in far smaller volumes than the Five Hundred and Montego could and should, so it seems that Ford has their priorities reversed.
  • pnewbypnewby Posts: 277
    :confuse: I agree about the features, both standard and optional. If anyone from Ford is watching, they probably won't care since I stayed in a Ford brand, but I didn't buy a newer LS than my late 99, 2000 model because instead of having more features in '05, they had fewer. I'm one of those "unusual" guys that looked at the '05 LS and said, "No rain sensing wipers?" I may as well buy something less expensive and get as moany or more features. Decided th AWD on my Freestyle was a good deal.
    "Given the price of the Five Hundred and Montego, Ford just can not afford to stay so far behind so many competitors when it comes to features."

Thats my point in posting about the Azera.

I thought the interior was great. Some analysts have compared the fit and finish of the Azera with BMW series 3.

One of the biggest criticisms about the Five Hundred on this thread is the drivers comfort. "The Ultimate Package ($2500) includes the sunroof and stereo plus power adjustable pedals and tilt-and-telescope steering wheel, memory for the driver's seat, mirrors, and steering column, rain-sensing wipers and power folding outside mirrors." Headroom and legroom exceed the Five Hundred.

Then there is the power and noise issue that is brought up on this thread so much. The Azera is REALLY QUIET.

I am not in the market for a car for two more years. I have had numerous Ford, Mercury and Lincoln products and currently have a Windstar. I wouuld like to continue wwith Ford but it is getting difficult to justify.

The newer enhanced Five Hundred better be on the mark.
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    "I am not in the market for a car for two more years. I have had numerous Ford, Mercury and Lincoln products and currently have a Windstar. I would like to continue with Ford but it is getting difficult to justify."

Apparently, you are not alone. The sales of Ford products, other than the Mustang and F150 are poor at best.

The 500 was ordered for a "redesign" almost right after it hit the streets. The design of the 500 at best is boring, when compared to others. And of course, the CVT transmission was a poor idea from the start. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with them, but public acceptance has been poor. I drive an '05 Taurus (company car) that I picked up brand new-what a joke it is!
  • With the best dealerships in the business you would think Ford would work much harder to put out a better car. I'm not saying the 500 is all bad, but it would get a whole lot better fuel mileage if you added a diesel about the same size as the Passat TDI. The 500 is better than the highly touted Fusion. The 500 has a much better automatic transmission than the Fusion. The Jetta is a little smaller with the same transmission but with a diesel option. What I'm saying is Europe has much better cars that get much better mileage.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Europe also has widespread diesel availability, MUCH higher gas prices, and much cleaner diesel fuel that makes it easier to meet emissions standards. There are almost NO diesel cars for sale in the US right now. There is a reason.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,634
    My wife picked up her 06 500 company car a few weeks ago. It replaced her 03 Taurus company car. I agree the Taurus is terrible. While it was reliable it was horrible to drive, just way to slow, felt cheap, rattled etc.

The 500 is a nice car (makes a great company car anyway). It still lacks the refinement and pep of a v6 Accord or Camry, but the car itself seems nice and the overall interior and truck space is impressive.

Some of the interior parts seem overly cheap, but overall it seems solid. My biggest complaint is with the Duratec 3.O. It's gutless at low rpm and thrashes crudely at high rpm. It has to be the worst DOHC v6 I've ever driven, Toyota and Nissan had smoother v6s 20 years ago. I do like the CVT, it allows for peppy performance once underway and you don't have to the gear hunting some Ford transmissions have been known for. My wife only keeps her company cars for 2 years or 50k miles, so the CVT should last that long I'd hope.
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    What I'm saying is Europe has much better cars that get much better mileage.

Having spent 10 days and 1000mls with a Toyota Avalon, a car about the size of Civic, powered by a 1.6 I4, it delivered mediocre 23MPG in combined driving. That's the same I get with my V6 sedans.

Yet, the compact chugger cost over $20000 over there. Americans get much more of a car for this figure.

Your statement above is quite inaccurate.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    A Toyota Avalan about the size of a Civic?

Did I miss something?
    "My wife picked up her 06 500 company car a few weeks ago. It replaced her 03 Taurus company car. I agree the Taurus is terrible. While it was reliable it was horrible to drive, just way to slow, felt cheap, rattled etc."

Yes, my company is replacing the Taurus with the 500 also. My Taurus is written for a two-year 75,000 mile lease, With the miles I am driving, it will come in right at that at the end of this year. The problem is if the 500 is the "Fleet Vehicle", I am not sure if this will help the resale value of those regular folks who buy one.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    People talk about Fleet Sales being bad. Its really a certain KIND of fleet sales that are bad, those are the short term leases to the daily rental companies.

They show up at auction about 6 months later with between 15 to 20k miles on them and bring in about 50% of the new car window sticker.

As a result they end up dragging down the residuals and sapping the pool of new car buyers. "Why by new when you can have a certified pre-owned for $$$$$ less?

Now selling the 500 to large companies who are going to lease them for 3 or more years shouldn't really affect the residual. Ford just needs to be smart and make sure that a whole fleet doesn't show up at auction at the same time in 3 years.

Mark.
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    A Toyota Avalan about the size of a Civic?

Oops, my bad. I meant a Toyota Avensis.

Sorry.
    "Now selling the 500 to large companies who are going to lease them for 3 or more years shouldn't really affect the residual. Ford just needs to be smart and make sure that a whole fleet doesn't show up at auction at the same time in 3 years."

Mark, to the best of my knowledge most companies lease cars for two years for their sales people. Most sales people are going to drive AT LEAST 30K a year. A three year lease would be far more expensive. I would imagine at between 70,000 to 90,000 miles one could count on some repairs on cars that are driven hard in heavy traffic.

And I don't really think that Ford has any control over when private (non-rental type) corporations replace their vehicles.
  • "Why by new when you can have a certified pre-owned for $$$$$ less?

I'll tell you why. Because the darned car was a RENTAL. Have you SEEN how people drive these things?
    "I'll tell you why. Because the darned car was a RENTAL. Have you SEEN how people drive these things?"

There is a dealership in California that sells only ex-rentals on their used car lot. These are mostly Chevrolets, Cadillacs, and Buicks. All have less than 30,000 miles on them. Also SUV such as Trail Blazers. Some PT Crusiers are starting to show up there as well. It's a small family - owned dealership...and they sell 600 used cars a month! There is very little downside to buying a "off rental" if you still have the factory warranty left. I have purchased three off rentals, all have provided good service.
  • Anybody know when the facelifted five hundred will come out? I keep hearing spring 07' but that would make it an 08' or an 071/2' ALso any possible pics or rumors for what its gonna look like?
  • Same questions from me....(although only regarding the Five Hundred, since we don't get the (any) Mercury in Canada).

My wife and I have looked at alot of cars in different price ranges, and there is nothing better out there, in our opinion, for the money, with the SAFETY (Gold award from the IIHS) AND Features. We also happen to like the looks, especially in the Merlot colour (burgundy) with the pebble (tan) interior.

The only thing we think needs improving is the engine. (Even the CVT seems ok, although in two different Limited AWD cars we drove, one had a very annoying loud noise on acceleration and the other was quiet - one of the reasons we are waiting for the improved version).

Thanks!!