Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    You know the 500 is longer than the Freestyle by an inch
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    You know the 500 is longer than the Freestyle by an inch

But it's not pachydermically high. :D
    With the roof rack it's 8" higher and about 5" without the rack and that's at the rear of the Freestyle, but it's even lower by a few inches in the front roofline. And they're the exact same width. But it's all perception if you're only talking about a few inches.
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    We just don't like the way it looks, it's not about inches and measurements, it's about "looks" a purely subjective matter that EVERYONE takes into account. The Freestyle is no more in contention then any other brand's Imnotaminvans. :)

As I've said, I like the 500 on paper, it's just a bit too bland in my opinion. We're drviing it tomorrow and if we really like it, we'll wait a year for the restyled one...with the bigger engine being a bonus.

They should have made a proper Station Wagon version of the 500, call it the Ford 500: Country Squire. :) :) Every manufacturer seems obsessed with turning SW's into psuedo-minivans and psuedo-SUV's... I like REAL station wagons. That is one reason the Mazda6 is getting such a strong look from us.. an actual sporty station wagon, with a MANUAL transmission, for a reasonable price! :)

I apologize to anyone who is feeling defensive about the 500, Freestyle & Montego. I am NOT ripping on the vehicle. Just expressing my subjective opinion on styling, nothing more. I've said over and over that it is a great car.
    No need to apologize for opinions! I think that the Freestyle looks more like a SUV Ford Explorer than minivan. If you had a Freestyle, Explorer & Odyssey/Sienna/etc. sitting next to each other, I think you'd also say that the Freestyle is more SUV looking than minivan looking. But it's true that these are not small, sporty sports-wagons, but that's a different market. I'm not so concerned with style; however, if they put wood panelling on the Freestyle I doubt if I would have bought it!
  • Can you give me more info re the better engine you said is coming out in 07/08 ? What changes will be made ?
    Thank you,
  • When do thr revised versions come out and what changes will be made ?
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,419
    Although the 3.0 liter has been panned--mostly because it is the only engine available in this large car--it is more than adequate for most people's purposes.

The 3.5 liter (250 hp, 240 torque) that is first being installed in Lincoln models (and the Ford Edge) will be made available in the 500 too. I have not seen a definite "when" yet, because Ford has to ramp up enough engine manufacturing to cover many different models.
  • gene_vgene_v Posts: 235
    Post #3082 is the most info on the revised version that I have seen.
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    Checked it out today, the Five Hundred is big, and a bargain, but I was so un-excited about it I didn't even test drive it.

Wide, nice materials, great features and great price. Great front leg room thanks to the high seats, but I wanted the seat to go back at least another inch... needs more belly room. :)

Great salesman, not pushy at all, understood that I was just not into it, and appreciated me not wasting his time going out on a test drive.

I may revisit it again after the redesign. :(
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    Driving it is believing it.
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    It would be interesting to know how many are fleet sales. My company is replacing the Taurus with the 500 as the leases come due......
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    500 Fleet sales are limited to only 15% of the overall total.

Impala (at 50%), G6 (30%), 300 (25%), Magnum (25%), are mainly the vehicles that are picking up the fleet sales Ford is no longer interested in entertaining.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,419
    And that partially explains to me why the Impala is doing so incredibly well in sales numbers, even though there is nothing particularly remarkable about it. Thank you.

Ford continues to sell a huge volume of the lame duck Taurus for the same reason, I guess. Maybe the lower 500 volume is better. It will at least help resale values stay out of the toilet.
  • pnewbypnewby Posts: 277
    I agree, and as has been stated before, Fleet sales are not automatically bad. Other than rental companies, all others bring a reasonable profit, and are kept long term so they don't flood the market with nearly new cars. Only an over supply of nearly new cars is going to tank the resale. Company cars, service vehicles, govt. motor pool cars, tend to be either kept for a long while, or driven excessively, and that doesn't hurt resale.
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    Chevy has the "Malibu Classic" (previous generation Malibu, sold exclusively as fleet sales. Ford took the same approach with the Taurus this year, allowing it to sell exclusively to the fleet market. In Chevy's case, the total is added to the regular Malibu sales, and in turn, hurting current Malibu resale as well.

GM is touting how well the Impala is selling, yet they fail to point out that 50% is fleet sales, which is being picked up from ex-Ford customers. As it stands, the Taurus was actually selling 50% to fleet as well, now the Impala is the fleet sales darling.

With the introduction of the 500, Ford capped it at 15%. This is allow because of the flexible manufacturing factory in Chicago which allows them to build either a 500/FS/Mtg. depending upon on the need. Whereas previously, the Taurus plants (Chicago and ATL) HAD to Taurus/Sable to keep the factories running, then saturated the market with fleet vehicles lowering the resale.

As it stands, the 500 enjoys a 48% depreciation rate after 3 years, a digit away from Camry/Accord for comparisons sake.

Some fleet sales are good in the sense it allows people to have exposure over the vehicle at rental car outlets. There have been many conquest sales due to that. But too much of it isn't a good thing either.

Ironically just a few days ago receiving some of this information I was informed that Consumer Reports (a publication the media in starting to harp on for inconsistant reporting) have chosen the Impala as a recommended vehicle. You would think resale value is something they would have taken into the equation.
  • ronically just a few days ago receiving some of this information I was informed that Consumer Reports (a publication the media in starting to harp on for inconsistant reporting) have chosen the Impala as a recommended vehicle. You would think resale value is something they would have taken into the equation.

That's "Communist Reports" and there's NOTHING inconsistent about it. If it's American, it stinks. If it's Japanese, it's great. Total consistency. LOL
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Your statement is inconsistent. CR has just recommended the Impala. Last I checked, it isn't Japanese. . .
  • Well, even Communist Reports can't bat 1.000 :P