Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• lzclzc Posts: 483
    My original point was that *most* of the earlier gains in mpg came from the dramatic drop in average vehicle weight, post 1970. The more recent small weight gain doesn't alter that.

The improved efficiencies of new engines is amazing. I took a test drive today in an Avalon, the Japanese Buick. 0 to 60 mph time is 6-something seconds, and the mpg is decent. I just wonder how much more mpg one might get if the acceleration, however nice, didn't match, and better, the muscle cars of the 70s.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,419
    Depends how you look at it. So many vehicles driven these days are defined as "trucks" (to get around CAFE regulations), but you and I know that "crossovers" are cars.

Furthermore, subcompacts and compact sedans have gotten a lot heavier than they used to be in the 70's and 80's, due to chassis stiffening, added safety equipment, and the fact that what used to be considered optional is now often standard equipment. Look at the huge weight difference between the VW Rabbit and the last couple generations of the Golf.
  • lunarmistlunarmist Posts: 39
    For anyone in Massachusetts:

When we received our Mass registration renewal in Jan '06, it came with an offer to test drive any Ford and get a $100.00 Gift card. I did drive a V6 Fusion but was not impressed, especially the cheap hard plastic inside trim.

Since I did not make a copy of the offer coupon I do not have the phone number or website to check the status of the offer. Anyone out there have the info ?

Thanks
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    I stand corrected.

Thanks.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    You got an offer in your Massachusetts Registration renewal from Ford? Is the state of Massachusetts selling advertising rights in with their registration renewals? Interesting, but I suppose any way they can get revenue without raising taxes!

I got a $50 gift card test drive offer in January direct from Ford for test driving a Fusion. Just got the card last week. The toll free customer service number in my offer to check the status is 866-261-3596. I don't know if this number will work for your offer, but it is worth a try.

I disagree with your Fusion appraisal, by the way. I thought the interior was just fine. Every vehicle's interior is filled with plastic, some hard, some soft, some wood trim, some fake metal trim. Hard plastics in areas you rarely touch don't bother me a bit. In fact they stand up better to wear and tear in the long run anyways.
  • lunarmistlunarmist Posts: 39
    First, thank you for the info, I was able to contact someone.

Second, I should had mentioned I was comparing the 2006 Fusion to my 2005 Camry. The most disappoint aspect of the vehicle was where it was built, Mexico. The engine was from the U.S. and the six-speed automatic was from Japan. I'd like to know where the General Manager of a Ford factory in Michigan would allow the Fusion to be parked if owned by an employee. He makes Ford employees who drive "foreign" cars park far away from the entrance to the plant..
    Good point. What is an "American" car is pretty darn arbitrary these days.
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Posts: 1,106
    It's not THAT arbitrary, really. Just look at where each company has its roots, who runs it, etc.
  • pnewbypnewby Posts: 277
    And also take into account the "owner" of the brand. Ford- American, GM- American, Toyota- Japanese, KIA- Korean, BMW- German, Chrysler- German, Mazda- almost American, Volvo- American, and so forth.
    Chrysler- German, Mazda- almost American, Volvo- American, and so forth.
    I certainly see what you are saying, but you won't get universal agreement, that, say, for instance Volvo is American. If you can't get consensus, there isn't any...and that was my point.
  • gene_vgene_v Posts: 235
    My Windstar:

Origin - Oakville Canada
    Seats - Canada
    Engine - Windsor Canada
    Wiring Harnesses - Mexico
    Fuel Injection - Germany
    Battery - Oh My, USA

American Car? Not in my book.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    some of you have mistaken our conversation here for this discussion: Buying American Cars: What Does It Mean? ;)
    Sorry. This is a discussion of the boring 500, right? ;)
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Heh, well, if it's boring you, feel free to join the discussion at that link I posted and carry on! ;)
    How long can such a discussion BE?

American company produces American cars.

Japanese company produces Japanese cars.

Korean company produces Korean cars.

And that's ALL there is to it. :D
    Would that it were that simple. I don't think you could even get everyone to agree that the 500 is an "American" car.
    Well, Ford's an American company.

Granted, it's basically a Volvo design. But Ford bought Volvo, right?

Let's say the Russians stole American plans for a satellite, then built it and launched it. Would it be an American or Russian satellite? It would clearly be Russian . . even if based on an American design.

I guess it doesn't really matter. Except that if Volvo had built the Five Hundred, it would've cost too much, and I wouldn't have bought it. :surprise:
  • For a 270hp, 6 speed Five Hundred with the new look and some new features, like hopefully a manual shift mode.
    Does anybody actually USE those manual shifts on cars, other than a few times as a toy?

I play with them a bit on rental cars, but the novelty wears off after a few hours.
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    I play with them a bit on rental cars, but the novelty wears off after a few hours.

Ditto, only in my case it wears off after a few minutes...

After having driven stick-shifts for well over 10 years, I'm glad to have converted to automatics. Just give me a torquey engine, and one has to nit-pick to tell the difference in performance.

Automatics don't convey the engine brake power as well as a stick anyway, so those paddles wouldn't help much around corners either. And given that good automatics don't upshift nor downshift around corners, I don't see in such novelty anything but a marketing gimmick.

But that's only me... ;)