Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I think the LaCrosse is much better looking, at least from the front and profile. Have not seen the rear of the car, and I must say, I think this is the Five Hundred's strongpoint. Why are people saying the LaCrosse is going to be at minimum, $30,000? Isnt the car intended to replace the Century/Regal? I don't think that, even with a new "direction" Buick is completely abondoning the mid- $20,000 range. Addtionally, with the 3.6L DOHC 240hp CTS shared optional, the LaCrosse has something the Five Hundred doesnt offer- a competitive engine.

~alpha
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    I saw some pictures of the LaCrosse as well... Taurus side stamping certainly, even with the shape of the 3rd side light. And the front looks Hyundai Sonata like lights except with an Taurus grill opening.

You know, it might not be a bad thing for Buick... Most of the customer's have one foot in the grave and probably can't see well anyways, so I say styling isn't something they will be too concerned about, even if it looks like a cross-eyed fish :)
    Actually this vehicle isn't a make it or break it, in the economic scale some envision. The emphansize of this vehicle is integration of various resources within the Ford group in general. How to maximize usage of exsisting components, and take expertise from various brands to integrate them in a standard brand. (Volvo's P2 platform for example).

While the Focus (Euro), Mazda3, and Volvo S40 is another synergy, almost similar stradegy. IN that one, the same principal as stated above, BUT in a more diverse fashion by taking a standard brand platform and injecting it with enough sophistication and engineering to be sold even as a premium offering such as the S40.

The objective that most of the media will concentrate on with the 500 release will be if Ford can produce a sedan, and launch it without any glitches. If Ford still has the recipe of making a good sedan, as they once did with the original Taurus.

So with combined synergies mentionined in the first 2 paragraphs.. you make investors happy, in turn caushing stock values to rise.

With media perception, you gain respect and attract attention to the vehicle whereas some consumer's wouldn't have thought of shopping such a vehicle. Also a boost for investors.

Final one, consumer appeal. Is this a car they believe deliver's solid value for their money. That classy interior will surely convey that, as the soft touch materials and careful attention to detail.

All these factors help each other quite a bit. But the profit margins of these vehicles aren't quite as big as those of an F-150 or Navigator for example, therefore this isn't going to break the company.

Granted, all vehicles debuting currently are helping Ford's image, and all are important in one way or another. The Mustang will be released towards the end of the year. And that itself convey's a message. A few Mercury vehicles will debut, and they will convey a message as well.

The next "incredibly important" product that Ford will release will be the Futura. That importance will be high up there, as that of the new F-150. I say, if the F-150 can pull it off and the media, investors, and consumer have welcomed it well, then I don't see why the Futura can't.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    maybe the montego is important here as its higher level of luxury may be able to 'out-cush' Buick.

hate to bring it up again, but the 500 only coming out of the chute with the 3.0 is bad here....both of the LaCrosse's engines will have more hp (even if the 3800 is junk) they can take out full page ads and show comparisons on how the buick engines out-hp the duratec.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Sigh, reg. It isn't appropriate to get into long drawn out discussions about other cars here, but the 3800 is NOT junk. Just because it isn't OHC doesn't mean it is junk. That's true for 98 percent of Americans and nearly 100 percent of these two cars' target markets. Face it. Other than you and a few other diehards, no one in this market segment cares about OHV vs. OHC.

Now, GM WILL be able to post much higher HP and Torque statistics. Still, where is GM's AWD in the Buick? Where is its CVT? Does the vehicle have the huge rear seat and trunk that the Five Hundred/Montego does? Does either vehicle cruise as effortlessly, quietly and cushily as does the Panther platform of the LeSabre? These are far more relevant questions to the target market.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Personally, the AWD option is nice to have- but if you live in the southern US, does it really matter that much? I'm not convinced that CVT is the wave of the future, either. If a 4, 5, or 6 speed auto can match a CVT's transparency in operation, while extracting similar or better MPG, whats the difference to the 98% of the people you speak of?

In terms of powertrains, as long as the smoothness AND efficien combination of acceleration & fuel economy are present, most consumers won't care.

ANT, from what I've read, it seems like the LaCrosse will indeed compete with the Five-Hundred on price.

~alpha
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    1. Buick is not a luxury brand, never has and never will be.

2. In the family sedan segment, features and quality are more important than futuristic, trendy styling. Examples: The PT Cruiser and VW Bug drew raves at early Auto Shows, now look at their sales.

The complaint "It looks like a 5 year old Audi"? Well, those 5 year old Audis look like the 2004s and 15-20 year old Audis, with timeless looks.
    I haven't read much on LaCrosse pricing, considering it'll be shown on the 3rd at the Chicago show, hopefully they'll release more specifics on that.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Certain things about the 500 remind me of the feelings I had about the first 86 Taurus I saw. They may have something as good going here, if not as revolutionary.
  • grbeckgrbeck Posts: 2,361
    The tail is the weakest part of the Five Hundred...the front and the side look pretty good.
  • What I like about the Five Hundred is it that it shows that Ford is watching the competition in terms of interior material. I don't know what GM or Daimlerchrysler is looking at some times, but the Five Hundred's interior addresses the issue that Detroit can't make a competitive sedan in terms of ride, interior quality, and "craftsmanship". The Five Hundred I saw was from a different Detroit, a different Dearborn. In my view, they have stepped up to the plate.

And really, I can't say I dislike any of Ford's new interiors - except for maybe the Freestar. I just hope Ford can push the bar even more when it comes to Mercury and Lincoln. Those 2 should be at an even higher level than what the Five Hundred is showing us, and I would say the Five Hundred is at a pretty high level already.
    The F-150 was just awarded "best truck interior", by Detroit News. This demonstrates the fact of Ford's promise to triple investment for interior's of all their coming vehicles.
    I like the tail more than the front! Go figure!

The front resembles the Focus to me.
    The tail reminds me of an S-Class Mercedes. Sure that'll tick MB off....
    You mean how the Mercedes copied the Ford Granada in 1975, Ant???
    One good turn deserves another :-) I keep saying it, a sedan that's 1/3rd the price of equally looking luxury vehicles, can't beat that bargain Hehehe
    You can probably tell, I'm more interested in the Montego than the 500, as I like the tarted up versions more than the base models.
    This year we will see the Futura debut, the Mercury version (Montclair) should receive similar attention to seperate it from Futura.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    One other thing about "revolutionary" styling. For years BMW's were known for driving dynamics and engineering, not styling. Now, when they introduce "expressive" cars, they are getting heavy criticism.

And regarding "5 year old Passat" knocks, I bet the next generation Passat will be evolutionary like the new Golf that is out in Europe now. And "auto critics" will call it the "best ever", even if it looks similar. I also don't see too many complaints of the VW Pheaton for "looking bland".