Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• I wonder if there will be an uproar from Taurus purists who might decry that the rebadged Five Hundred is not a "true Taurus?"

Not me . . the Five Hundred is everything the Taurus should've become . . in a slightly larger package.
  • At the end of last year -- I took my father shopping for a new car. I live in GA -- he lives in NY. I had no intention of buying a car. We came across a 2005 Montego Premier AWD leftover -- (50 miles on it)

After sitting in it -- taking it for a test drive -- and looking at the features for the money -- I decided this was definitely a GREAT buy at 21,600.

Since I typically buy a car with the intent of running it into the ground -- and that the differences between the 2005, 06 and 07 are really minimal -- all the better.

Yes -- off the line it could use a bit more power -- but I'm not drag racing. On the highway -- the car flies and acceleration is terrific.

Passenger leg and head room -- along with cargo space is great.

So far the mileage has lived up to the rating -- Highway (I have a heavy foot -- typically 75 to 85 mph) I average 25+ mpg -- and around town -- between 18 and 20.

People complain that the exterior styling is boring. You must also think that the BMW 500 series and the Mercedes 300 series is boring too. Numerous people have told me from the side it and back it looks very similar to either of these cars. I think the fact that it is black -- with 18" wheels has a lot to do with it. This car seems to look much better and more luxurious in black and the dark gray than many other of the colors in which it is offered.

While many may not agree -- ALL in ALL -- in my opinion -- this car is a great value for the money.
  • I hope they hope they don't change the Montego name, at least.

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_display.cfm?release=24679
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,415
    Good move.

Now, if they bring the Mondeo over, they could still use the Montego name.
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    According to Ford the mercury will be called the Sable again.
  • They should have NEVER changed their names in the first place! They should not have changed names over at Lincoln either.
    Like I said, good move. The names never should have been changed, for sure. Lots of dumb moves under Bill Ford's watch. I think Mullaly and the market have put a lid on some of the nonsensical culture around the company.
  • I am upset.

What will the depreciation on the Montego be? This really sucks for some people. I do hope that customers forgive ford for playing musical chairs with its names.

oh man :mad:
    I don't think it will affect resale at all. Due to tne Montego's low sales and lack of recognition, resale isn't anything to write home about. Becoming the Sable isn't likely to upset that applecart. Heck, if the Sable actually sells in better numbers, it could help the Montego.
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    The problem with sales of the Ford Five Hundred isn't the name. Car critics have been saying for the past couple years the car is too mainstream, to bland, nothing exciting. Call it what you want, sales will not increase with a warm over freshening for 2008, and a name change to Taurus, a car name that was fleet champion throughout its 21 years of service. It served its purpose during its run, were in different times now where exciting looking cars are in the pipeline from all manufactures. The 2008 Taurus will look more like the Fusion. Consumers are too smart for that. Lets see where sales are of this NEW Taurus a year from now.
  • If you think that Ford changed the name of the current 500/Montego expecting big sales increases you are smoking something. This is all about the NEXT redesign, and positioning Ford for the future.

My bet is that the next "Taurus/Sable" will be smaller than the current 500/Montego, which is HUGE!! It will be more in-line size-wise with the old Taurus, which was already bigger than the CamCords. In turn, the Fusion will move down a step, and will be made based on the European Mondeo platform (stretched and revised, much as the current Fusion is on the stretched Mazda 6 platform), but still built in Mexico and still called the Fusion. I for one loved my Contour and hated the fact that Ford abandoned the segment and the Mondeo platform. There was a market for a car between the entry-level Focus and the Taurus. That car was the contour, and now the car is the Fusion...see where i'm going? To compete against the Camcords, you might need two sedans -- a smaller, more fuel-efficient 4 cyl model (Fusion) and a larger, more powerful model (6 cyl Taurus).

This will give Ford their performance-based midsize sedan to compete on the sport side of the equation, while they also will have a more camry-like staid sedan in the Taurus, though the exterior will likely get a major refresh to make it sexier ala the new Malibu or the last Altima.

I also believe Ford will stop selling the Taurus/Fusion to rental fleets altogether, as this will help their resale value. Ford will also go to a bumper-to-bumper 5 year 100,000 mile warranty. These "bold moves" will help the company regain the trust of the american buyer.

If these moves fail (which I don't think they will), say hello to Ford, a wholly owned subsidiary of Toyota.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Taurus is a better name and much more recognizable name than 500 was regardless of how many previous Tauruses were sold to fleet. This is a different car and they are not selling that many to fleets anymore. The old body style Taurus probably ran on for at least 3 or 4 years too long without a complete redesign. Now, the redesign is finally here.
    It looks like they fixed everything except greatly improving the looks and making it sexy-looking.
    The new grill is not enough to make the car stylish, but at least bland styling is better than wild styling that goes wrong.
    They are replacing the weak engine with one that at least has competive power.
    It will finally have stability control, AUX input, nav system, Bluetooth and so on that it had been lacking compared to the competition.
    I am sure sales are going to improve somewhat since this is "better" than it was, but it just won't sell anywhere near to levels of Camry and Accord.
  • New Sable looks better on photo than new Taurus. Now Taurus/Sable compete more with Avalon and 300 than with Camry. But take into account that Camry was not a competition to original Taurus - Taurus was competing with Accord. Camry was non-descript compact car. Then it became larger car in 1992 and after that competition started and finally it unseated Taurus as a best-selling car in USA.
    The current Mondeo platform is plenty roomy and needs no stretching whatsoever to compete in the midsize segment (unlike the Contour which had a ridiculously small back seat for its size). The Fusion offers no more usable room. The Fusion is not going to move down any step. The Mondeo could, however replace the redundant Milan, and thereby give Mercury something interesting and different to sell.

The Taurus and Sable will sell better than the 500/Montego, mot because they are different, or gobs better, but because people know the names, and millions of people either owned those names or rode in them or rented them. Not true with 500/Montego. Since Ford cannot revise those two cars as fast as the market demands, at least more folks will be exposed to what decent rides they are as they stand. It is a brilliant move in a rough time, and the cheapest thing they could do to increase sales. The dumbest thing they did was to change the names in the first place.
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    All Taurus in my company are being replaced by 500's. I have one on order for my Taurus replacment. BTW...61K in 21 months on the '05 Taurus and no issues whatsoever and 23mpg!

And I see alot of other fellow "Industrial Salespeople" tooling around in the 500's as well.

I don't know how resale is affected going in to "fleets" as opposed to "rental units".

I don't know how significant the private fleet numbers are.
  • You can see it at Mercury's website

http://www.mercuryvehicles.com/sable08/?intcmp=B_08SableInts_MVHomepage_08SableI- nterstitial_20070207#

To say truth I like Montego name better. Sable does not sound right for the car even though I own one and does not have the same equity as Taurus. But whatever - new Sable looks less massive than Montego. But certainly it is move upward for Sable.
  • pnewbypnewby Posts: 277
    I've always been told that true "fleet" sales will not hurt resale since they are generaly either longer term or higher mileage units (maybe both), and don't get sold cheaply to keep newer low mileage cars to attract customers. Kinda like people that buy CVs from the police dept. after the cops have decided they are worn out. Companys and the gov. sell them when it is less expensive to replace than it is to maintain. I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule, but the majority follow the rule.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• OK, this month you can get about $6000 off MSRP with the combo of incentives on the 500/Montego. Or you can wait til summer and pay approx. sticker for a 2008. What am i losing out on by buying now? I know about the engine but what about the tranny and the AWD. Is giving up the CVT and the Haldex AWD for the new unproven 3.5 a good tradeoff?
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    There will be much less incentives and discounts available for the 2008s, but there is no way they will be going for sticker or even close.
    Too many other choices available for that to happen to the still boring 2008 Taurus.