Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    There is no such thing as Mercury in Canada. The Grand Marquis is a FORD in Canada!

See: http://www.ford.ca
  • boydocboydoc Posts: 3
    There is no such thing as Mercury in Canada. The Grand Marquis is a FORD in Canada!

The only Mercuries sold in Canada are the Grand Marquis and the Marauder. But they are sold at Ford dealerships
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    The Db rating for the 500/Montego is something that they have concentrated on as well. Ford has done quite well with the F-150 and Freestar in that regard, and the next few vehicles will follow that principle.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Having rented a lot of Windstars, the Freestar/Monterey is surprisingly improved in the NVH department, IMO. As good as any minivan I've driven to date.
    The Freestar has been praised by a few journalists for being just as quiet as the Sienna. That itself is a great feat considering how much harder it is to quiet a passenger van over a car.
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    The Freestar's only noise is from the engine. I hope the new engine in the 500 will be much quieter (it will definitely be!)

The Sienna is not that quiet (some owners even state that the previous generation Sienna was even quieter than the new one), but Toyota produces refined and very quiet engines.

Now GM are also concentrating on quietness inside the vehicles, which improves the quality feel of a vehicle.

So I'm pretty sure that the 500/montego will be very quiet.
    Anything is quieter than the old 3.8L/4.2L, arrrgggg And mainly it's the manifold that causes noise issues when it pertains to engines.
    Well, now, most everything GM is still making is noiser than the 4.2L. Especially whatever cornbinder they have in the current Cavalier.
    OHV usually make more noise, over OHC, and since GM insists of continuing OHV engine developments, then noise is something they'll continue to deal with. The most they can do is stuff more insulation into their vehicles to quell the noise a bit, as they have done in the new Malibu.
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    Has done an excellent job with the noise levels in the new Malibu. And they expect to repeat that again in some other new models, like the new crossover vans, and the new Equinox. The GM 3.4L and 3.5L engines feels more refined than Ford's 3.8L and 4.2L engines.

Fortunately, Ford cars will be much better with the new Duratec 3.5L (hopefully).
    "The GM 3.4L and 3.5L engines feels more refined than Ford's 3.8L and 4.2L engines."

That wouldn't take a lot, actually. The essex engines are updated, yet old tech.
  • fdcapt2fdcapt2 Posts: 122
    I've seen a lot of posts talking about the new engines, and the type of warranty that might be offered on these cars. Does anyone have any idea on what might be offered? Ant, you seem to be the most informative in this area. I have thought a great deal about either car, and will probably wait the extra year to get the better engine, horsepower wise. I'm hoping to get something in the 260HP range. Is this a reasonable expectation??
    The 3.5L can deliver anywhere from 240HP (relaxed), to 285+ (peaky) if need be. All depends on how they wish to tune the vehicle. Obviously they'll tune it lower at first, so throughout the years they can up the horsepower, as the vehicle's life ages.

I'm betting on a good solid 250HP/250TQ. to start with. But that's just MY personal guestimate.
    Interesting, as that is what the four cylinder turbo in the upcoming Legacy/Outback will produce, and the car is much lighter.

The relatively lower power output in the 2005 Five Hundred/Montego is what started me looking at the Subarus in a serious way. I may still wait for the Fords, but it is far more likely I will buy the Subaru. Sad, really, as I much prefer the body size and style of the Fords.

I have 151,000 miles on my 2000 Impala LS, and can't wait much longer. I have serious concerns whether the 200hp engine in the Five Hundred is enough power for me. I live where coal trucks and two lane roads are frequently encountered, and power is a necessity, not a nice to have. And I am definitely interested in AWD.

The fact the Subaru primarily drives the rear wheels while the Fords primarily drive the fronts is also a factor for me, as is Subaru's relatively much longer experience in AWD. On Ford's side, there are many more dealers, parts should be easier to get. On Subaru's, the transmissions are much more of a proven commodity than is the CVT I would be interested in.

What to do, what to do....

I also would MUCH prefer a sedan to a wagon, but the Subaru sedans are too small for me and my needs...
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    Why not also look at the 2005 Chrysler 300? It has proven parts, and the same large interior space as the 500 (except for a smaller trunk). It is available now with a 250Hp V6 or a 340HP V8, both connected to proven transmissions. All of the winter drive tests and reviews show that it and its Dodge Magnum Wagon twin do very well in slippery conditions without all wheel drive, but that will be available this Fall.

The Ford is something to consider several years from now, when it will have the bigger engine and the bugs will have been worked out of all of the new parts.
    I saw it at the auto show, and unlike the Ford, the high beltline made me feel VERY claustrophobic. Also, Chrysler bought a 1994 Concorde back from me due to suspension problems the dealer never could fix. I am not too pleased with Chrysler's reliability, and would rather take my chances with a new Ford than with even a supposedly proven Chrysler....

I just wish the inaugural Ford Five Hundreds had more power...
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    Toyota will also have a new Avalon for 2005 to compete with the 500/Monterey, and it will certainly have substantially more power.

Honda will also have a four door car truck based on the next generation Pilot / Odyssey/ MDX platform. Yes, I think it will be competition for the 500, as it also addresses the needs of people who need space and a big "trunk." It will also have more power than the current vehicles, and therefore far more than the Ford.

It still seems obvious that Ford needs to find a way to either get the new 3.5 V6 into production (with power to match the Nissan and Honda engines) sooner, or get more out of the current engine (the same Eaton supercharger used on the GM 3800 V6 would be one good choice).

Subaru is controlled by GM - not a comforting thought with regard to quality.

Also, Chrysler has a better warranty than Ford. It seems that Ford would have an easier time selling the 500 / CVT with a better warranty.
    Subaru is owned by Fuji Heavy, in which GM has only a 20 percent interest, which is NOT controlling. And I have had good service from my Impala. GM has good quality, even though some time back that was NOT true.

Be that as it may, the ONLY reason I probably will NOT be buying the Five Hundred is the lack of engine power given its large size.
  • fdcapt2fdcapt2 Posts: 122
    Why would Ford/Mercury allow the other manufacturers to get such a jump on them by using the 30 Duratec in the 500/Montego?? It really doesn't make sense to bring out 2 beautiful new cars that are underpowered when stacked up against almost all the other cars in their class. Someone really dropped the ball, BIG TIME. I also think they should change the warranty they offer.
    It's not as easy as it sounds to bring out a new car, or a new engine. And worse than bringing the new car out with an old engine, would bringing the new car out, with bad new engines. Until they are ready, tested and tested again, and clearly a solid, reliable and certified product, Ford shouldn't release them. They've done that in the past, and they get drubbed for every part failure.

So, why not just hold the car up another year until the engine is ready? Talk about the competition getting the jump on them! They are in a bind, no doubt, and it's unfortunate that Ford wasn't able to bring it all to market right now, but things being what they have been the past few years, Nassergate, Firestone/Explorer issues, stock price, p/e ratios, etc., it now is what it is. And while we're all enthusiasts and pretty sensitive to the power issue, there are lots of folks who will probably think it's peppy. We'll see. If it's a "dog", well, that won't be a good thing, but other than a 4 cylinder Ranger, I haven't seen a really slow
    Ford in 30 years.