Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• pnewbypnewby Posts: 277
    For anyone with x-plan access, here is an example of the x-plan pricing. This car had all options except AWD and safety canopy package.

1. 2005 Five Hundred Limited
    VIN: 1FAFP25135G104845

X-Plan*:

Total MSRP:
    $26,115.68(xplan)

$28,230.00(msrp)
  • WHat's X-Plan?
  • A discount plan offered to Ford suppliers and "partners." You must be eligible to use it.
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    A, X, Z Plans, are all plans that allow Ford employee's, their relatives, their friends, supplier's, etc. (even the Maid if you wanted to) to purchase a vehicle with a discount. You get a "PIN" and use it when purchasing your vehicle and they tell you how much your eligible for.
  • The last post is a little misleading, "A" plan is for current Ford employees and immediate specific relatives (no friends), the "Z" plan is for retired Ford employees and specific relatives (no friends), the "X" plan does not enjoy the discount afforded to the "A" & "Z" plans but never the less a significant savings can be had for "Friends of Ford" - suppliers, distributors, many corporations, university, friends of active Ford employees and still others.. There is also the "D" plan sponsored by Ford based on specific requirements for Ford dealership employees.
    Didn't go into the details of what each one does differently, just stating in general what they were.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    First Five Hundred rolled off the carrier today. SEL AWD Red Fire with gray gut.

I personally think a beige gut would go better with red exterior...(or black as on limited)

Sticker is $28,800ish with a Roof and Leather as options. Traction control is std right now.

Hope to go for a ride as soon as it leaves prep.

The brake rotors are immense on this thing.

Mark
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I was very impressed by the USA Today review, and am looking forward to driving one. When are the market numbers that are spoken of in terms of acceleration going to be released? Additionally, ANT, which "rivals" is James Healy speaking in his several comparisons to those models?

~alpha
  • "The brake rotors are immense on this thing."

Do you think 15 or 16 inch wheels would fit over those rotors?

I like the 500, and want one, but personaaly, I can't afford 17 or 18 inch high performace tires, and with only 200 horsepower, I really don't see where this car needs them anyway. Besides, I drive about 20,000 miles a year, and don't want to plunk down $1,000 a year on tires I wouldn't need if I had smaller wheels.
  • No, the rotors will not fit over wheels that small. In addition, if you ever had a serious accident and injured someone else after modifying the wheels, your insurance company MAY not cover you. Just a thought. And handling would be adversely affected, as well.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,565
    You should get at least 40K miles out of the OEM 17" tires on a 500. I have never had problems getting at least that, and though I am not an overly agressive driver, I am not that gentle. My 2000 Taurus with 16" tires is at 41K now and will go at least another 8-10 K before I think of replacing them. I don't plan on spending more than $70-$80 per wheel for new tires that will be better performers than the OEMs.

My guess is you will be able to keep tire cost to under $100 a wheel, unless you buy super high performance tires, which you will not need to do.
    Thus, we are talking maybe at most $400 every two years in your situation, or only 20% of your "$1000 per year" exageration.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    You can buy a set of four performance 17" and 18" tires, even top ones such as the Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS for About $100 per tire. For example, discount tire direct has the 245/55/18 g-Force T/A KDWS at $97 each.

I drive 25,000 to 30,000 miles per year, and easily get over 40,000 miles out of each set of tires.
    Alpha,
    " When are the market numbers that are spoken of in terms of acceleration going to be released?"

You mean acceleration times, didn't those already come out, 7.4sec-8.4sec.

Bobby,
    "I like the 500, and want one, but personaaly, I can't afford 17 or 18 inch high performace tires, and with only 200 horsepower, I really don't see where this car needs them anyway."

If these vehicle had smaller wheels, it would look sooooo ugly, because the porportions would look quite different having the wheel wells exposed so much.
  • nedc2nedc2 Posts: 192
    I'm a little leery about getting a car for which snow tires seem to be difficult to find. I'm currently running an RWD car with all seasons and it ain't pretty, but even with FWD, ABS and traction control, I'd feel a bit more confident with snow tires on a brand new car. The old one's a beater so I'm less worried about it and I hadn't been needing to do lots of driving the past couple years so I never bothered to invest in winter tires. A new car would change that though.
    How about choosing AWD as an option ?

Between AWD, ABS, Traction Control, that' s like putting 3 condoms on.
  • Hey mschmal,

As many of us are interested in when we'll see the Five Hundred locally, could you tell us which dealer?, state?..

(nothing in maine, usa yet?)
  • fdcapt2fdcapt2 Posts: 122
    Nothing here on Long Island either. I talked with salespeople from Ford and Mercury dealers today, and they told me between 15-20 days before they get here. I guess they did pull them back because of way to many 2004's still on the lots. Or that's what was said in a few articles I read. Some of the reviews on the three new models said that they had no real pizazz to catch the peoples eye, and they could really use more power. A few also said the interior materials looked "bargain basement". Before anyone gets their shorts all twisted, this is what supposed professional car reviewers are saying. I'm also a bit put off with paying over $30,000 for a Ford. I realize they have new technology, but it still seems a bit much. I guess I'll have to wait and see, and maybe hold off a while to see what problems come up, if any.......
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    James Healy states "The vehicles also seemed sluggish in the standstill-to-30 mph dash that marks much of U.S. driving. Independent tests by AMCI (Automotive Marketing Consultants Inc.) show the Fords make up the deficit as speeds rise, dashing to 60 mph as much as 1 second quicker than rivals with significantly more power."

Has Ford made this information available? Car and Driver's estimate for 0-60 times for the 500 are 8.6-8.8, which isnt very impressive for a new vehicle thats not going to be getting a new engine for some time.

I think Ford's major cause for concern with this vehicle will be the new Avalon, debuting in just 6 months...

~alpha
    Ford claims a 0-60 time of 7.45 sec. for the Five Hundred when equipped with the CVT and for the heavier Freestyle they're claiming 8.65 sec. in AMCI certified. Judging from the way they felt when I stomped on the pedal I'd believe those numbers. Unfortunately the Ford brochure doesn't make it clear if the numbers apply to both FWD and AWD.
    Winter rubber is different, much softer, and modern winter tires usually incorporate additives to improve grip on ice. AWD, ABS, Traction Control are all great but generally won't make stopping distances shorter. And you really have to experience a Northern Michigan winter to believe it. Around Detroit most all season tires will be fine for all but about 10 to 20 days each winter, and "acceptable" on most of those days but on trips up north in January or February they're out of their league. Alpena frequently gets to -20 F or lower, and many side streets and secondary roads are ice covered for weeks or months on end. AWD would help, but I really don't need it that often, and it cost $1700.00, plus you get worse mileage. I'm thinking about it but I'd rather avoid it.
    Nedc,

Ironically my family lives in Montreal, so I've been "blessed" with numerous winter blizzards when I grew up. A far cry from the humid heat we have here in the Refugee Republic of Miami. My grandparents have always maintained RWD MBenz's up there, and with Stability Control systems do quite well, in situations where even FWD vehicles were slipping and sliding on the roads.

What I like about the Haldex system in the 500 is that it only engages when needed. And when it does, it kicks in quickly, unlike other systems which the wheels have to spin 7/10th of a turn before it kicks in. The Haldex system takes milliseconds for it to kick in, without being bulky and weighing 400lbs like other AWD systems.

As for added costs, it's one of those issues that if it can save myself from an accident, I opt. for it. Then again, my driving behavior is quite "unique", so I need every safety system available. heh...

Alpha,

Ford already discussed all the acceleration times that were conducted by an independent firm (AMCI) as Nedc stated. And this information is also being printed in their brochures, supplements, teasers, etc.
  • I must be shopping at the wrong tire places. The only 17" tires I could find in stock were huge offroad truck tires. They could special order Z-rated (or somthing like that) low profile tires that were hideously expensive had had about a 20,000 mile life expectancy. Great for a Corvette, not so good for a family car. I'll have to do a little more looking and see who sells non-speed rated tires.

One good thing, though. Full-size Fords have traditionally been known for having good brakes. Looks like the 500 will be no exception. Picked up a brochure at the Ford dealer this morning, and it mentioned the massive rotors, as well as dual piston calipers, so hauling the car down from warp speed shouldn't be a problem.

The brochure also claimed that thanks to the CVT, the 200 hp Ford could out accelerate a 250 hp Chrysler 300. Haven't drag raced either car, so I'll take Ford's word on that for the time being.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    Autoweek has a nice article on the Montego.

The online tire places have the best prices, and shipping is not very expensive.

The exact size on the Five Hundred / Montego / Freestyle (225/55/18) is unique, but for such a high volume car, the exact same tire and other choices will quickly become available. Also, you don't need the exact same size. To keep the speedometer accurate, the diameter should be similar, but even that is not a big deal, as long as you know it is reading high or low.

I lived in St. Louis my first 29 years, and had few problems with rear wheel drive, a limited slip differential, and studded snow tires. With all of the fancy mechanical and electronic equipment now on cars, and the wonderful snow tires now available, winter driving should not be much of an issue. Ice is the worst, especially black ice, but that is were all of the new technology really helps.
This discussion has been closed.