Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• z9z9z9z9z9z9z9z9 Posts: 101
    My observations on build quality...

So far I've seen two samples: one Montego and one Five Hundred, both base models. The Montego had good exterior panel alignment for the most part, especially around the hood and doors. The trunk was average. The Ford was good around the doors as well, but had a misaligned hood. It usually takes a couple months production to get this dialed in, so it may get better. The paint on both cars displayed an average amount of orange peel for a car in this price range.

The only other issues I noticed are the interior door latch handles (which look like they came from the same parts bin as the '05 Mustang) don't line up in their recesses very well, and the carpet is cut close to the front side of the front seats, especially on the passenger side. The raw edge of the carpet is visible if the seat is pushed all the way back.

Other than that they look pretty good.
  • I just saw the Limited at the local dealer. I was impressed with everything, except the front seat. I am 6'2", and need more support under my thighs...I was sorely disappointed in the lack of "seat depth". While there was sufficient head-room, and leg room, I can not see driving long distances in that car. I would really like to buy the 500, but unless they fix the front-seat, I will have to go elsewhere.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Seats are very very important - you spent all you driving time in them. It's kind of item #1 with me.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    JOHN there is a blue sel on my lot that just got delivered yesterday, maybe we got your car by mistake. Hopefully yours will be in soon.

Mark
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    I stopped reading MT years ago when their editors started appearing in ads for crappy GM cars. TALK about lack of journalistic integrity...geeze....People that read that magzine always seem to feel MT afterwords.

Mark
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,761
    Although I'm not a regular reader of MT, now that David E. Davis is at the helm (founder and editor emeritus of Automobile) I wouldn't be surprised to see the quality of the writing improve.
    Do you think the 500 is big enough to be used for livery service?
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    Definately, what type of livery service? It has the largest trunk on it's class, and spacious back seat.
    Can it be stretched like a Town Car can?
    Yes, the platform can be stretched in the future, if need be. These platforms are highly fliexbile to do so.
    I need to go see one of these I guess. My L/M dealer doesn't have any yet, at least that he admits to. And I don't like to go to the Ford dealer here, they don't know me, so I don't get the treatment I'm used to, you know, throw me the keys, etc. Unfortunately for me, I guess, that Ford dealer just bought my L/M store, so things may change for me in the future anyway... Gotta go drive one of these, see for myself how impressed I can be. If it's built as well as the Monterey and Mountaineer I have, and the Mariner I just drove, I'll be impressed....
    I was thinking in place of Town Cars/Devilles in the executive sedan trade. I've seen Crown Vics/Grand Marquis masquerading in this market and since the 500 is euro-generic it could work well. One large livery service here in Boston once used Volvo S80's. I think they now use S430's.

Is Ford perhaps working on a heavy duty use 500 ala taxi or police version?
    Ford will be using the 500's platform, as the next Town Car and LS replacements, with AWD.

This will keep CV for strict rental and police duty...for awhile....
    The 500 platform can double for cars as small as the LS and as large as the Town Car? I don't see how, but...if you say so. I guess the magic question is - what will YOUR next car be, ANT??? Because I'm completely with you on the current LS. I'm wondering you YOU think a worthy personal replacement for it will be....? I guess, there's always the S-Type, if you want to spend the extra money.
    That platform is flexible. Everything from the smallish S60, to the XC90, Freestyle and 500, it's easily tailored. Although next generation S80 will stem from another C-1 Platform derivative.

Many goodies debuting in the next few years. Personally I would like to go back to something with 2 doors, not hardcore as Mustang, but Cougar possibility. This whole "OH we want to go in your car" senario is getting annoying.

Since the LS replacement will run AWD on a P2 platform, I'm content over the AWD issue. I myself have wanted to go into AWD for quite sometime, unfortuantely there's never been an alternative. Also looking at the Volvo C70 replacement, and possible C90 Super Coupe. which should address all my concerns.

I have around 2 years left on my 2nd LS before I hit 100K mark and trade again, therefore I'm hoping there's better options than last time around.
    Thanks for sharing those viewpoints. I'm a lot older than you are, ANT, but I share a lot of the headthoughts you have, I think. It helps me shape my plans for future car acquisitions.

I doubt a Montego will grace my garage, but I'm very interested in it from a progress in concept perspective. The Freestyle could find its way into my fleet someday. I've about decided that SUVs are perfect for everything, now that they come in so many flavors, I doubt I'll go back to a regular sedan, but who knows. If so, it would be more in the Town Car theme...
    Crossovers will definately be the new wave. And there's numerous cross-overs that will debut from Ford and Volvo overall. Mazda, and Mercury will also receive there's respectively. Mazda will release their Mazda5, which will have 3 rows of seating, yet be a small offering (think Focus C-Max) priced around $18K (minivan sliding rear doors). I'm interested in seeing how the U.S. consumer's accept that vehicle.

I myself can't deal with an SUV. Mainly because of how aggresive I drive, dislike having extra people in the car, do not wish to carry much cargo, and like to make it known "Single and loving it, no responsibilities for me" hehe...

Unfortunately sales are dwindling and the market is fragmented, therefore don't be surprised if numerous coupes are built off exsisting modified sedans, longer refreshining cycles, or killed off totally.

Now, the P2 platform can be modified for a Coupe structure if need be, although it'll add some weight.
    Are you saying there may a new Cougar under development? Is the cat coming back for life #5? That's hot news!! I wasn't a big fan of the last version, but I respected it as a small sports car in the affordable range. My preference for a Cougar, would be something more like the 83-88 version, but this is big news, if you're letting it slip here!!
  • Let us hope if a new coup is developed it will be more like the 91 Cougar and not the 83 garbage.

Starting in 91 we saw a true Cat. Fully independent rear suspension, H type front suspension. Adjustable shocks. But the 91 series did needed a stiffer unibody.

But we will most likey see a FWD with a 3.5 with sales at about 40k units.
    Not exactly, it's still being considered but Mustang based RWD definately.
    "Let us hope if a new coup is developed it will be more like the 91 Cougar and not the 83 garbage."

Hey, I object!!! Look, I had an 84, a 90, and a 94, and while I liked the big body cats too, appreciated the technology and all, the 83-88 models handed better in my opinion, especially at high speed. Much more nimble cats. Not that the later ones were bad, I'm just saying, the earlier versions were not "garbage" at all, as you put it. Not even close. I could name some garbage, if you need me to, but Ford Coupes don't qualify.
  • smith1smith1 Posts: 283
    Was getting breakfast today at the local McDonald's in Rantoul, IL and spotted a 500, Montego and Freestyle in the parking lot. They were all marked "Job 2" and were test cars. I talked to the drivers, employees of the Chicago assembly plant, and sat briefly in the 500 and Montego. Nice looking cars, loads of room in the back seat, humungous trunk. But as a guy who's 6'5" and 280 lbs, I have to say they didn't configure the interior to take full advantage of its size. You definitely sit high up. The Montego had a sunroof and even with the seat lowered all the way my head touched the roof. The 500 with no sunroof afforded maybe 1" clearance with the seat lowered all the way. I wanted an inch or two more rear travel in the driver's seat. The center console is very wide and the driver's footwell area is not very spacious. Overall the cars provided less room FOR THE DRIVER than my Passat GL.

I don't understand why Ford would design a super tall car with huge rear legroom and then not provide enough downward and rearward travel of the driver's seat to COMFORTABLY accomodate large drivers. Missed opportunity here.
  • you met the worker who build the car? Were are eager to get you in the car, so you could try it out. Worker morale is very important to level of uqlaity in the car, if they don't believe they are in a good place, making good product, they won't work right. Same as in an office job.

I heard these compains here and elseware about the five-hundreds smallish front quarters. A big car has to have big space. Like the Crown Vic or Grand Marquis. These are excellent cars for big drivers, and the latter is really quiet and pelasant.

Meybe ford did this unpurpose with the 500 so that larger buyrs stay with the full size models and SUV's. All i know if that i would have maximsed room, because this cars doesn't have the 300C's pizzaz, its biggest selling point is practicality (largest trunk, etc) and the bigger the interrior is for its size the more practical it is.

Did the fact that they did not have wood paneling on the doors bother you? I'm just curious if they asked your opinnion on the car, and if they were ready to do anything about it...
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    You are 6'5" tall and probably in the 95th or higher percentile in height, so it would not be unusual for you to be a tight fit in most cars. Your Passat probably only fits because the seat travel must go way back, leaving no room behind you for rear seat passengers.

There will never be a car that suits everybody, or we would have a pretty boring world on wheels, right?
    Yes I'm in the minority as far as height, but some MUCH SMALLER cars see fit to provide seat travel that accomodates very tall people....most Volkswagens and many Nissans for example...even if that means that there isn't much room behind the driver when the seat is all the way back. Actually, the Passat has reasonable room behind the driver even with the front seat all the way back.

The point is, when you put the driver's seat all the way back in the new Fords there is still ridiculous amounts of rear legroom -- it would have been trivial to provide more seat travel for the driver. There are few cars that have this potential, so why not use it to make the vehicle attractive to that couple of percent of potential customers on the tall end of the curve, when there is no downside to doing so?
    The design of the doors didn't bother me.

I don't know that the drivers actually built the cars, I just asked if they were from the Chicago plant and they replied yes. They didn't ask my opinion of the car. They were OK with me sitting in it for a few minutes but didn't appear to be specifically tasked with soliciting reactions.
    I've also had issues with interior headroom, but mainly because I have long legs. I've actually had decent headroom in cars like Mustangs, Mark8... It's not till my LS that I'm a bit tight, but there's ways I go around adjusting the seat so it doesn't feel like it.

I agree, Passat does have good headroom for tall driver, as I have many friends that have owned those cars (one of the few and rare compliments I'll give a Passat because of how astrociously unreliable they have been for ALL my friends).

I can't say I've had headroom issues with the 500, maybe of how I adjust my seats and even wearing a cap I still have a few fingers before hitting the roof. But I also recline my seat quite a bit back, so that might be how it works for me.
  • nedc2nedc2 Posts: 192
    I'm just under 6'3" tall, have a 34" inseam, wear size 12B shoes, and weigh about 190 lbs. Granted, you are bigger, but I can't see why you'd need more seat travel, when I'm sitting behind the wheel of a Five Hundred or Montego I don't have the seat at anywhere near its limit and have ample legroom. I do tend to put my seat relatively high and have the seatback set rather upright, so with the sunroof there is an issue of headroom but that has much more to do with the type of "cassette" Ford uses which is thicker than some other manufacturers use, I'd estimate that its a good 2 inches thicker than the one Mercedes uses in the C class cars, I'd also agree that the wheel wells are narrower than ideal but I find them acceptable, though I don't think I'd recommend the car to someone who wears size 16 EEEs ;) Even at 6' 5" you should have either ample legroom or headroom in this car (without the sunroof) if not both. And as for the Passat, yes the front seat is roomy, but except for the footwells, which are a little wider, and less intrusion on headroom on sunroof equipped models, again this is due to the design of the sunroof cassette which Ford is using, it's no roomier than the Five Hundred. And compared to the Five Hundred, the Passat's rear seat room and trunk space are a joke, I don't need to put the driver's seat all the way back in a Passat, but nevertheless when I have that seat adjusted to where I'm comfortable behind the wheel, the my knees are making dents in the back of the front sear if I move back there.