Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,565
    As with any brand new model in which the dealers have little or no inventory, you are probably up against the wall in trying to negotiate much, but it never hurts to try.

You may want to check your dealer's web site, sometimes they have internet coupons you can printout that might save you a few bucks. Also if you work for a company that is a vendor to Ford, you may qualify for that discount. X-plan is it?

Otherwise, about the only option is to wait until dealer stocks become sufficient. With Ford using one plant for both Five Hundred and Freestyle, they really may not be able to kick out the volumes they could like when they had two full plants available for just Taurus and Sable production, so it could be big discounts will be slow in coming, but this is just a guess on my part.

On the other hand, half a plant's production may be enough, given the current auto market with the blossoming of more and more models to choose from from both Ford and all the competitors.
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Posts: 396
    The retooled Chicago Assembly Plant features a flexible body shop that allows one set of tooling to build the new Mercury Montego and the new Ford Freestyle and Five Hundred. Montego is based on the same underlying architecture as the Ford Five Hundred and Freestyle – but with quite a different execution.
  • fdcapt2fdcapt2 Posts: 122
    When I was quoted the price of $29,500, the salesman said that's the best we can do for you "now". If you have the oppurtunity to wait a little while, it might benefit your wallet. Like I stated in my post, the salesman couldn't show all his cards, but the way he was talking, it sounded like something was in the works. I'm still up in the air as to which car I end up buying, but I think if the right deal was offered, a Montego Premier AWD/CVT in Merlot, black interior, with all the toys might end up in my driveway.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    The salesman is merely speculating. No one at any dealer KNOWS what incentive is coming next on any car until the old incentive (on the Five Hundred, it is currently low rate financing only) expires. But his speculation is probably pretty good. Ford MAY put incentives on Five Hundred if it doesn't sell to expectations.

Heck, in this market, they may put incentives on it anyway, just to keep it selling. Still, I don't see that Ford did what GM often does---price the car high enough to take incentives into account. This is what hurts residuals, increases depreciation and makes the cars look "cheap" in the market--as in: "Unlike the Accord, the Impala does not keep its value very well at all---must not be a good car, Hilda!"

Sales to rental car companies do much the same thing.
  • I recently drove both the Montego Prem and the 500 Limited. Very nice cars. However, there was more legroom in the rear seat at the expense of the intruding wheel wells in the front. In this case, I can not stretch out on a long drive.

The front seats are comfortable, however the rear seats were not comfortable. The rear seat was very firm with little padding. The rear seat arched backward (opposite of a persons back). You must lean all the way back to feel it. I asked the sales person to drive while I rode in the back. Since no one has mentioned this, I can only assume all the potential buyers here did not ride in the back seat.

Is this typical of folding rear seats. My 91 Cougar had a split folding rear seat and I would say it was almost as bad.

Would the rear seat of the 500 been better if it had not been a folding design?

Anyone else sit in the back seat for more than 10 minutes.
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    For the rear seat backrest to lie totally flat when folding it, such measures like altering the cushion shape are required. If the cushion were much softer, it wouldn't be as obvious, but at the expense of wearing down much faster the cushion, as well as the fabric on it as well. For a few kids I've seen sitting on the rear seat, it seems to fit them much better though.

I remember having a Mustang, where on the front seat, everything from my mid back, north...Nothing touched. I'm sure anyone who had a 83-89 Tbird, Cougar understands as well since it followered that design.
  • While I was at the Merc dealer waiting on the Montego, I sat in a Mariner. I really like the vehicle. What disappointed me was the lack of the auto A/C. I noticed you spoke of it in the Mariner forum. Was it left off for technical or cost considerations? Mercury can rebadge if they want to, but they do need to offer a trim and appointment levels above Ford.
    Cost consideration. It was enough they did those suade inserts on the seating which cost quite a bit, as for the aluminum-like trims and exterior details. I'm sure in it's next generation, it'll be addressed.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    I have had several vehicles with automatic HVAC systems, and all but one (the '94 Thunderbird) was nothing but a nuisance requiring frequent adjustment. The worst is our '02 M-B C230. I would rather have a manual system, allowing me to set the temperature and fan speed as needed with three simple knobs or sliding levers.

We drove a Premier AWD at the Mission Veijo, CA mall yesterday and I used my $25 certificate to reduce the price of a mall item to close to reasonable. They also had Mariners, and they sure are much nicer than the Escape was in 2001 when I was shopping for an bought my '02 Mountaineer. The engine of the Montego labored up the hills going out of the mall, but with the test drive worker talking, it was difficult to concentrate on the vehicle. I still will not place my order until I am able to drive one for 30 or more miles on some rough freeways, so I'll have to wait until the dealers have more of them.
  • "... nothing but a nuisance requiring frequent adjustment"

All 3 of my Fords have been great. The idea is you set it at 76 and leave it. Maybe that is the problem, you fiddle too much.

If you get hot and then cold, may I suggest hormone replacement therapy ;)
    Ok here's an example, which I believe might be a nuisance to some people dealing with Auto A/C. Majority of systems will initially blow the air on high to cool down the vehicle then automatically lower the blower level as it becomes cooler. When reaching the set temperature, it'll continue to blow the cooled air, BUT now mixes a bit of hot air, along with it to reach the set temperature.

This is noticeable on some systems where for a split second you feel (and maybe smell) the hot air being mixed into the cool air as it blows across your face. Unfortunately for many systems, instead of giving you the lowest blower speed, and simply cool it, it'll give you a medium level (which you can still hear) while mixing hot air into the mix.

One example, in my friends Saturn L300 (which all the above is evident). I rather just turn it off Auto mode, then just place the blower at it's lowest level and have it simply blow cool air. If not, then the system goes up a few notches (which can get noisy) and blow mix of hot/cooled air, which is quite noticeable.

Some systems your able to detect that more than others. Which is why some people might simply over-ride and go manual. And in some A/C systems, you can't go fully manual either.
    HUT for a guy? You also have to deal with situations where one side of the vehicle is in the sun (the dual system on my Mountaineer does not have sun sensors on each side, so you have to adjust for this). The fan is too loud, or not strong enough. I would rather have simple knobs or levers, and something less expensive to buy and less likely to break.
  • zeenzeen Posts: 391
    How can Ford design a new model that looks five years old as soon as it hits the road? They must have pulled the designer out of a grave. The 500 (and the Montego as well) is one of the ugliest new designs I've seen in a long time. The car may be fine mechanically (even with an outdated engine), but Ford better find some designers or they can fold up now.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,736
    the design may be 5 years old, but that doesn't mean ugly. i think it's supposed to be 'inoffensive'(?).
    after seeing the '500' in person, it looks ok.
    actually, i like it better than the freestyle, which suprised me.
    my wife saw a picture of the 500 and said 'i want that'.
    what i am wondering is; can you get it with heated seats? living in the northeast, i really enjoy the benefits of heated seats, especially with leather. even my focus has them(heated seats, no leather)!
    explorerx4: If you use Edmunds or the Ford site to configure a vehicle, you will see that the leather seats are heated.

To my wife and me, the 500/Montego looks very good, and better than in photos. While we might have bought a Chrysler 300C if it had a big enough trunk, it is an ugly car, and the excellent open greenhouse of the Five Hundred / Montego will always be better than something with obstructed views in all directions. The side profile with the three windows is especailly well designed. The Mustang, these cars, the Mazda 6, Mazda 3, and upcoming Fusion/Milan/Zephyr prove that Ford with J. Mays is on the right track.
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Posts: 396
    The Five Hundred Limited has leather seating surfaces 8-way power heated driver & 4-way power heated passenger with manual lumbar as standard equipment.
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    To my taste, the 500 looks beautiful. I just love the style. The Freestyle is more plain, but not bad either.

I sat in one 500, and I noticed a problem with the sun-visors. Most manufacturers stopped offering a "visor extender" which is so useful when the sun is hitting from another angle around the sun visor. They try to make up for that with some black dots on the top of the windshield which is worthless, compared to a real visor extender.

But the real problem is when you move the visor sidewards b/c the sun is at your left side, half of the window will stay uncovered! That's a big problem to me.

I have an '02 Windstar, which I think is the most smart design I've seen. You don't need an extender at all, and it covers the entire side window, and a huge part of the windshield.

This is not a 'minor' thing to me (as unlighted glove box), but can be dangerous at times when the sun is very bright and the road is wet, etc.
    I agree, I have this black out peelable/reappliable removable static cling type of vinyl that I bought at a chain auto parts store, which I usually use when I must travel on the turnpike on the late afternoon and have the sun hitting me on the left. And it does allow a certain amount of light in, it looks like what's left over of the dot-matrix applique when they pulled it off the windshield, but blocks a good 95% of it.

A bit annoying to have to take out and apply as you drive but considering a few hours need to be killed, why not.
  • I saw a new add for the 500,

It showed a dark street (i think) and an intersection, and it was wet. Cars were sliding and skating along sidways and in circles, and then the 500 shows up and goes normaly. It had its headlights on, and was really cool. I never liked the design too much, but the was they shot the car was with all the right angles. And it looked good on screen. The 45 degree above view about 20 feet above is especially appealing.

Man, at the prices they are offering, Ford should sell quite a few of em. The ad was very good for any recent ford add IMO.
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    And BTW, my Windstar's top of windshield is lightly tinted, to further reduce any extreme sun shine. They also stopped this one. And those pesky black dots should replace them all!

Just too bad and upsetting. I can't figure out why car manufacturers should get worse from year to year. Yeah, I know, it's cost cutting... blah blah blah.......
    Here's the link to the new Ford commercials...

http://www.fordvehicles.com/nextgeneration/commercials/

There's 2 varieties for the 500.
    Samnoe - the Five Hundred / Montego / freestyle visors do extend! Simply turn it sideways (parallel to the side window) then slide it back on the support rod. It is the same idea as on our Mercedes. I agree that visors which do not extend are a problem, especially for taller drivers who sit back further.
  • hvanhvan Posts: 56
    I like the new design of the 500. It reminds me of the current Avalon/LS430 design. The tail light is somewhat similar to the previous generation of MB S class. Knockoffs?

By the way, the front grill is hideous looking!!! As with any car (Escalade, 300, MB, Lexus), the front grill is what gives the car its identity! What was Ford thinking?
  • I decided to give the Ford 500 a test drive to see if I would like it.

It's not a bad vehicle, but there were three items that caught my attention.

1. The Rear View Mirror is obstructed by the Sunglass/Map Light while driving. You can see the image of the Map Light as you drive. I noticed this in the Freestyle as well, but I did not test drive the Freestyle.

2. The Side Mirrors are extremely boxy. They also don't bend in. This was a style flaw in my opinion.

3. The drive was good, but the Engine was extremely loud.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,565
    Ford web site says outside mirrors are foldable.

My guess on the rear view mirror is that it was just raised up too close to the headliner. Rear view mirrors are mounted on an arm with swivels on both ends of the arm and may have been raised too high.

Noisy engine? I've got the Duratech V-6 in my Taurus and do not find it particularly noisy. Maybe not dead quiet on acceleration, but not objectionably loud. Maybe the Duratech winds out more on the Five Hundred than my Taurus during hard acceleration, especially if you drove a CVT equipped model, however I would expect it to be quite quiet at steady speeds as the engine is going to turn at slower rpm than my Taurus does.

I haven't driven a Five Hundred however, so the noise issue is just speculation on my part. Any early owners want to comment?
  • The Mirrors definitely fold in. I folded them in so the dealer could drive the beast out of the showroom. I find them a bit large/trucklike, but can get use to them.

I found the 6 Speed quite loud as it would kick down and race. The CVT seemed much quieter. The only thing that would keep me from choosing 6 speed over CVT is the newness of the latter technology.

I did not notice any rear view mirror obstruction.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,736
    ...and buckwheat. thanks for the info. i was looking at the 'sticker', which did not indicate the seats were heated.
    My guess as to why the engine noise, and non-foldable mirrors were an issue might have been the SE model being tested. It has a bit less noise insulation. But competitive with other vehicles.
This discussion has been closed.