Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    So which does the 500 have?
  • nedc2nedc2 Posts: 192
    Disc brakes. Specifically dual piston calipers and 12.4" discs up front, and 13" discs with single piston calipers in rear. They seem to work really well. When I test drove a Freestyle, which shares the Five Hundred's mechanicals, I practically stood on them from about 30-35 mph going over the rumble strips on the test course on Belle Isle and there was no nosediving, or any loss of composure, and a surprisingly short stoppping distance, keep in mind that the vehicle had been going through this kind driving for about 5 hours before I got my shot. They are worlds better than the disc drum setup in the Sable I borrowwed recently or the 4 wheel discs on my Crown Vic.
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Posts: 396
    The Five Hundred/Montego/Freestyle all have 12.5" vented discs in the front and depending on Fords own presskit for each model, which I believe to be just another Ford "faux pas" the Five Hundred has 12" solid discs in the rear the others have 13"

http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_display.cfm?vehicle_id=10- 51&press_section_id=398&make_id=92

http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_display.cfm?vehicle_id=10- 53&press_section_id=398&make_id=94

http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_display.cfm?vehicle_id=10- 54&press_section_id=398&make_id=92
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    its 13 inch solid rear rotors on Five Hundred. This gives the Five Hundred bigger discs than some so called "Full Size" pickups on the market.

Mark
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Posts: 396
    you concluded that hah! That was the thrust of my post, just another typo along with the many other typos, like 6speed auto with AWD.
    Yeah, the press realeases are full of typos, but the rear discs are approx. 13" and they are HUGE, I've seen the cars up close and have driven them. They have really impressive brakes.
  • iantgiantg Posts: 1
    Today, I attended the Ford Innovation Drive in Orlando, Fl. Got to take the Five Hundred Limited AWD, the Freestyle SE, and the new f350 for a spin. The Five Hundred is very comfortable, and the acceleration issue doesn't seem to be too terrible with the cvt. Then again, I have a focus zx3 with five speed, and found performance to be slightly better than what I'm used to. The freestyle's styling is a little uninspired, but the five hundred looks promising. Since it rides on the Volvo S80 platform, the amount of mounting hardware for the 3.0 liter duratec makes it obvious. Considering that this architecture is wide enough to accomodate an inline six, I think we can expect some interesting cars on this promising platform. I recommend playing with a Volvo S80 before tying one out. You'll see where everything comes from. It's not incredibly obvious, but it's the little things that make this car, well, unusual for a Ford Product.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Since I have lots of experience with the S-80, and love it (except for the FWD aspect, which I tolerate, not love), I bet I like the 500......
  • fdcapt2fdcapt2 Posts: 122
    The other day I priced out the 500 and Montego. I was a bit surprised how high the prices ended up being. My question is, will they create packages for the options, or will it be each individual option. I know in the past there have been certain options that were grouped together, and you ended up saving money that way. I find it hard to spend 30 grand on a Mercury that doesn't have half the options I have in my Acura TL. I can pick up a new Acura for just about what you'll be paying for a loaded Montego. I think Ford better re-think their pricing
    The pricing looks pretty good to me. The Montego Luxury, with the safety and convenience packages, and the reverse sensing option, the only options I'd be interested in comes to under $27K whereas the base TL comes to over $33K, list prices not invoice.
    The two cars are rather hard to compare though, they're not really aimed at the same market. the TL is a luxury sport sedan, the Montego, while it might be peppy and handle reasonably well, the Ford Five Hundred certainly felt so to me, is MUCH larger and less sporting in character. It is however a more versatile transporter of people and cargo. I don't really think that too many Montego shoppers would have seriously considered the TL, more likely they'd be cross shopping with Avalons, V6 Chrysler 300s, Park Avenues, Subaru Legacys, base model Volvo S80s, and maybe even some minivans. I'm also interested in what options you found missing. Navigation? Moon roof? Manual transmisson?
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    "I think Ford better re-think their pricing..."

See this article:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=18901
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Man you are totally negative about these cars why do you even bother posting.

The pricing on these cars is thousands less then the competition.

the lowest priced 500 with awd is about 5k less than the lowest priced chrysler 300 with awd.

the only less expensive car in this catagory is the chevy impalla which is an old design that is hardly competitive.

why don't you just go buy a chrysler 300 if thats what you want.
    Mark
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    "Prices will begin at $22,795 for the front-drive Five Hundred SE. The SE with all-wheel drive begins at $24,495 - more than $5,000 below the most affordable all-wheel drive Chrysler 300."

But what are the differences in equipment levels?

~alpha
  • fdcapt2fdcapt2 Posts: 122
    Being a Ford/Mercury owner for almost 40 years, I'll say what I want about these cars. Yes, I'm negative about the way Ford blew it with these cars. I guess working for Ford makes you get very touchy. I guess it is tough explaining to your customers why your new car has 50 HP less then just about everything in it's class. I find it tough to handle the way these cars were pushed out maybe a year or 2 to early. Maybe it would have made better sense to wait, instead of what they did this year. If you read some of the reviews and articles in Forbes, USA, Detroit News, etc., you'll see that I'm not the only one who thinks Ford screwed up.
    These cars don't seem half baked to me. I've seen more Five Hundreds, Freestyles, and Montegos on the road over the past year than I've seen of preproduction test vehicles of any Ford over the past 20 years. I've seen some that looked like they'd been used for extensive off-road testing. The car is being built on a proven platform, the Volvo derived P2 or D3 as Ford calls it. It has a proven engine. The CVT is the cars one new technology, and I do worry about it, but having driven one I can say that it performs impressively, the car is very quick and incrdibly smooth. Only time will tell of its durability, but it has been extensively tested. I'd also argue that many cars today are overpowered, some ridiculously so. Does one really need a family sedan that do zero to 60 in under 6 seconds?

What these cars do offer is impressive packaging, the kind of rear seat space usually fond oly in large luxury cars, cavernous luggage capacity, flexible seating, and excellent visiblity, unlike the Chrysler 300/Dodge Magnum. They are eminently practical cars, and they handle very well, with terrific braking and suspension. People who yearn for a HEMI or an exotic luxury sports sedan with all the latest gadgets may not be impressed, but if you want something comfortable to move people and stuff, that's also a pleasure to drive these cars seem hard to beat.

Ford couldn't afford to wait on these cars, and it really doesn't need to wait for the Duratec 35 to be ready in 18 months the car is quite powerful enough. It is very well appointed even if it's not a true luxury car. It lacks some high end options, notably Navigation, but this is a very expensive option on most cars that have it, it is one of the biggest causes of complaints on cars equipped with, and frankly it's not as useful in most of North America as it is in some other places where street naming and numbering conventions can be a little odd.
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    Let's take something into consideration. We are grabbing a $30K+ platform used in the S60, thru S80 and XC90, maximize it's porportions/dimensions to make the best interior accomodations possible, and thrown in materials/qualities of cars costing $10K more.... All this with a starting price of $22K. Seems like quite a bargain to me.

Take other vehicles for example...Altima starts around $17K, but surely... we all want the loaded $29-30K model. Camry, same issue...starts low, ends up a bit over $30K fully loaded, Avalon..a bit more. Accord can hit $28-29K as well. 300M can hit $36K loaded.

Conclusion: If you think $28K-30K is too much, get the lesser trims starting around $22-24K with less toys, and the same with occur with the competition like Impala, Avalon, etc.
  • frasierdogfrasierdog Posts: 128
    I learned something while shopping for binoculars recently. I picked out the model I just new was the very best, it was recommended by everyone. I went to the store and picked it up and did not like it at all. Other's opinions just did not matter in this case. It did not work for me.

The same will be true with a car. Until I get drive and play with the new 500, I really will not know if I like or dislike it.

I thought I would really like the XG350. Looks great on paper. When I drove the car, my knees hit the steering wheel. Scratch that off the list.

The biggest challenge for me will be going from a RWD to FWD.

There are so many intangibles to a car. Everything looks good in a glossy print. But what will you buy.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    The final pricing now up on Edmunds and elsewhere confirms that the Montego is a bargain. An AWD Montego with all options except the sunroof is $140 less than the Five Hundred, and has three features not available on the Five Hundred - perforated seats, LED tail lights, and HID headlights.
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    That is correct, but to counteract that.... I would share with you that in the long run, the average Mercury buyer will bargain less, than a Ford buyer. I forgot the numerical statistics, but overall Mercury costumer's happen to bargain much less than numerous other brands... I think Buick was up there in that list as well.

So in the long run, the Mercury shopper will probably spend a bit more because they haggle less. Whereas the Ford shopper will probably have a canniption, and if they still can't get their way, they'll go to Mercury.

Hence, the cycle.

And I do know of some shoppers that have gone to a Ford dealership, NOT get the vehicle they wanted for haggling too much. Goes to Mercury, spends the same exact thing they were fight for at the Ford dealership, yet because it has a few toys, they allow it to slide.

Go figure...
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    ANT14 - that is good and interesting information. Rather than haggling, I decide what I want, then send bid letters to a number of dealers with a place for them to write in their full price (with tax, license, and everything else), then sign it and return it to me.