Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• z9z9z9z9z9z9z9z9 Posts: 101
    My observations on build quality...

So far I've seen two samples: one Montego and one Five Hundred, both base models. The Montego had good exterior panel alignment for the most part, especially around the hood and doors. The trunk was average. The Ford was good around the doors as well, but had a misaligned hood. It usually takes a couple months production to get this dialed in, so it may get better. The paint on both cars displayed an average amount of orange peel for a car in this price range.

The only other issues I noticed are the interior door latch handles (which look like they came from the same parts bin as the '05 Mustang) don't line up in their recesses very well, and the carpet is cut close to the front side of the front seats, especially on the passenger side. The raw edge of the carpet is visible if the seat is pushed all the way back.

Other than that they look pretty good.
  • I just saw the Limited at the local dealer. I was impressed with everything, except the front seat. I am 6'2", and need more support under my thighs...I was sorely disappointed in the lack of "seat depth". While there was sufficient head-room, and leg room, I can not see driving long distances in that car. I would really like to buy the 500, but unless they fix the front-seat, I will have to go elsewhere.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Seats are very very important - you spent all you driving time in them. It's kind of item #1 with me.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    JOHN there is a blue sel on my lot that just got delivered yesterday, maybe we got your car by mistake. Hopefully yours will be in soon.

Mark
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    I stopped reading MT years ago when their editors started appearing in ads for crappy GM cars. TALK about lack of journalistic integrity...geeze....People that read that magzine always seem to feel MT afterwords.

Mark
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,737
    Although I'm not a regular reader of MT, now that David E. Davis is at the helm (founder and editor emeritus of Automobile) I wouldn't be surprised to see the quality of the writing improve.
    Do you think the 500 is big enough to be used for livery service?
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    Definately, what type of livery service? It has the largest trunk on it's class, and spacious back seat.
    Can it be stretched like a Town Car can?
    Yes, the platform can be stretched in the future, if need be. These platforms are highly fliexbile to do so.
    I need to go see one of these I guess. My L/M dealer doesn't have any yet, at least that he admits to. And I don't like to go to the Ford dealer here, they don't know me, so I don't get the treatment I'm used to, you know, throw me the keys, etc. Unfortunately for me, I guess, that Ford dealer just bought my L/M store, so things may change for me in the future anyway... Gotta go drive one of these, see for myself how impressed I can be. If it's built as well as the Monterey and Mountaineer I have, and the Mariner I just drove, I'll be impressed....
    I was thinking in place of Town Cars/Devilles in the executive sedan trade. I've seen Crown Vics/Grand Marquis masquerading in this market and since the 500 is euro-generic it could work well. One large livery service here in Boston once used Volvo S80's. I think they now use S430's.

Is Ford perhaps working on a heavy duty use 500 ala taxi or police version?
    Ford will be using the 500's platform, as the next Town Car and LS replacements, with AWD.

This will keep CV for strict rental and police duty...for awhile....
    The 500 platform can double for cars as small as the LS and as large as the Town Car? I don't see how, but...if you say so. I guess the magic question is - what will YOUR next car be, ANT??? Because I'm completely with you on the current LS. I'm wondering you YOU think a worthy personal replacement for it will be....? I guess, there's always the S-Type, if you want to spend the extra money.
    That platform is flexible. Everything from the smallish S60, to the XC90, Freestyle and 500, it's easily tailored. Although next generation S80 will stem from another C-1 Platform derivative.

Many goodies debuting in the next few years. Personally I would like to go back to something with 2 doors, not hardcore as Mustang, but Cougar possibility. This whole "OH we want to go in your car" senario is getting annoying.

Since the LS replacement will run AWD on a P2 platform, I'm content over the AWD issue. I myself have wanted to go into AWD for quite sometime, unfortuantely there's never been an alternative. Also looking at the Volvo C70 replacement, and possible C90 Super Coupe. which should address all my concerns.

I have around 2 years left on my 2nd LS before I hit 100K mark and trade again, therefore I'm hoping there's better options than last time around.
    Thanks for sharing those viewpoints. I'm a lot older than you are, ANT, but I share a lot of the headthoughts you have, I think. It helps me shape my plans for future car acquisitions.

I doubt a Montego will grace my garage, but I'm very interested in it from a progress in concept perspective. The Freestyle could find its way into my fleet someday. I've about decided that SUVs are perfect for everything, now that they come in so many flavors, I doubt I'll go back to a regular sedan, but who knows. If so, it would be more in the Town Car theme...
    Crossovers will definately be the new wave. And there's numerous cross-overs that will debut from Ford and Volvo overall. Mazda, and Mercury will also receive there's respectively. Mazda will release their Mazda5, which will have 3 rows of seating, yet be a small offering (think Focus C-Max) priced around $18K (minivan sliding rear doors). I'm interested in seeing how the U.S. consumer's accept that vehicle.

I myself can't deal with an SUV. Mainly because of how aggresive I drive, dislike having extra people in the car, do not wish to carry much cargo, and like to make it known "Single and loving it, no responsibilities for me" hehe...

Unfortunately sales are dwindling and the market is fragmented, therefore don't be surprised if numerous coupes are built off exsisting modified sedans, longer refreshining cycles, or killed off totally.

Now, the P2 platform can be modified for a Coupe structure if need be, although it'll add some weight.
    Are you saying there may a new Cougar under development? Is the cat coming back for life #5? That's hot news!! I wasn't a big fan of the last version, but I respected it as a small sports car in the affordable range. My preference for a Cougar, would be something more like the 83-88 version, but this is big news, if you're letting it slip here!!
  • Let us hope if a new coup is developed it will be more like the 91 Cougar and not the 83 garbage.

Starting in 91 we saw a true Cat. Fully independent rear suspension, H type front suspension. Adjustable shocks. But the 91 series did needed a stiffer unibody.

But we will most likey see a FWD with a 3.5 with sales at about 40k units.
    Not exactly, it's still being considered but Mustang based RWD definately.