Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• "... nothing but a nuisance requiring frequent adjustment"

All 3 of my Fords have been great. The idea is you set it at 76 and leave it. Maybe that is the problem, you fiddle too much.

If you get hot and then cold, may I suggest hormone replacement therapy ;)
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    Ok here's an example, which I believe might be a nuisance to some people dealing with Auto A/C. Majority of systems will initially blow the air on high to cool down the vehicle then automatically lower the blower level as it becomes cooler. When reaching the set temperature, it'll continue to blow the cooled air, BUT now mixes a bit of hot air, along with it to reach the set temperature.

This is noticeable on some systems where for a split second you feel (and maybe smell) the hot air being mixed into the cool air as it blows across your face. Unfortunately for many systems, instead of giving you the lowest blower speed, and simply cool it, it'll give you a medium level (which you can still hear) while mixing hot air into the mix.

One example, in my friends Saturn L300 (which all the above is evident). I rather just turn it off Auto mode, then just place the blower at it's lowest level and have it simply blow cool air. If not, then the system goes up a few notches (which can get noisy) and blow mix of hot/cooled air, which is quite noticeable.

Some systems your able to detect that more than others. Which is why some people might simply over-ride and go manual. And in some A/C systems, you can't go fully manual either.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    HUT for a guy? You also have to deal with situations where one side of the vehicle is in the sun (the dual system on my Mountaineer does not have sun sensors on each side, so you have to adjust for this). The fan is too loud, or not strong enough. I would rather have simple knobs or levers, and something less expensive to buy and less likely to break.
  • zeenzeen Posts: 390
    How can Ford design a new model that looks five years old as soon as it hits the road? They must have pulled the designer out of a grave. The 500 (and the Montego as well) is one of the ugliest new designs I've seen in a long time. The car may be fine mechanically (even with an outdated engine), but Ford better find some designers or they can fold up now.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,444
    the design may be 5 years old, but that doesn't mean ugly. i think it's supposed to be 'inoffensive'(?).
    after seeing the '500' in person, it looks ok.
    actually, i like it better than the freestyle, which suprised me.
    my wife saw a picture of the 500 and said 'i want that'.
    what i am wondering is; can you get it with heated seats? living in the northeast, i really enjoy the benefits of heated seats, especially with leather. even my focus has them(heated seats, no leather)!
    explorerx4: If you use Edmunds or the Ford site to configure a vehicle, you will see that the leather seats are heated.

To my wife and me, the 500/Montego looks very good, and better than in photos. While we might have bought a Chrysler 300C if it had a big enough trunk, it is an ugly car, and the excellent open greenhouse of the Five Hundred / Montego will always be better than something with obstructed views in all directions. The side profile with the three windows is especailly well designed. The Mustang, these cars, the Mazda 6, Mazda 3, and upcoming Fusion/Milan/Zephyr prove that Ford with J. Mays is on the right track.
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Posts: 396
    The Five Hundred Limited has leather seating surfaces 8-way power heated driver & 4-way power heated passenger with manual lumbar as standard equipment.
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    To my taste, the 500 looks beautiful. I just love the style. The Freestyle is more plain, but not bad either.

I sat in one 500, and I noticed a problem with the sun-visors. Most manufacturers stopped offering a "visor extender" which is so useful when the sun is hitting from another angle around the sun visor. They try to make up for that with some black dots on the top of the windshield which is worthless, compared to a real visor extender.

But the real problem is when you move the visor sidewards b/c the sun is at your left side, half of the window will stay uncovered! That's a big problem to me.

I have an '02 Windstar, which I think is the most smart design I've seen. You don't need an extender at all, and it covers the entire side window, and a huge part of the windshield.

This is not a 'minor' thing to me (as unlighted glove box), but can be dangerous at times when the sun is very bright and the road is wet, etc.
    I agree, I have this black out peelable/reappliable removable static cling type of vinyl that I bought at a chain auto parts store, which I usually use when I must travel on the turnpike on the late afternoon and have the sun hitting me on the left. And it does allow a certain amount of light in, it looks like what's left over of the dot-matrix applique when they pulled it off the windshield, but blocks a good 95% of it.

A bit annoying to have to take out and apply as you drive but considering a few hours need to be killed, why not.
  • I saw a new add for the 500,

It showed a dark street (i think) and an intersection, and it was wet. Cars were sliding and skating along sidways and in circles, and then the 500 shows up and goes normaly. It had its headlights on, and was really cool. I never liked the design too much, but the was they shot the car was with all the right angles. And it looked good on screen. The 45 degree above view about 20 feet above is especially appealing.

Man, at the prices they are offering, Ford should sell quite a few of em. The ad was very good for any recent ford add IMO.
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    And BTW, my Windstar's top of windshield is lightly tinted, to further reduce any extreme sun shine. They also stopped this one. And those pesky black dots should replace them all!

Just too bad and upsetting. I can't figure out why car manufacturers should get worse from year to year. Yeah, I know, it's cost cutting... blah blah blah.......
    Here's the link to the new Ford commercials...

http://www.fordvehicles.com/nextgeneration/commercials/

There's 2 varieties for the 500.
    Samnoe - the Five Hundred / Montego / freestyle visors do extend! Simply turn it sideways (parallel to the side window) then slide it back on the support rod. It is the same idea as on our Mercedes. I agree that visors which do not extend are a problem, especially for taller drivers who sit back further.
  • hvanhvan Posts: 56
    I like the new design of the 500. It reminds me of the current Avalon/LS430 design. The tail light is somewhat similar to the previous generation of MB S class. Knockoffs?

By the way, the front grill is hideous looking!!! As with any car (Escalade, 300, MB, Lexus), the front grill is what gives the car its identity! What was Ford thinking?
  • I decided to give the Ford 500 a test drive to see if I would like it.

It's not a bad vehicle, but there were three items that caught my attention.

1. The Rear View Mirror is obstructed by the Sunglass/Map Light while driving. You can see the image of the Map Light as you drive. I noticed this in the Freestyle as well, but I did not test drive the Freestyle.

2. The Side Mirrors are extremely boxy. They also don't bend in. This was a style flaw in my opinion.

3. The drive was good, but the Engine was extremely loud.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Ford web site says outside mirrors are foldable.

My guess on the rear view mirror is that it was just raised up too close to the headliner. Rear view mirrors are mounted on an arm with swivels on both ends of the arm and may have been raised too high.

Noisy engine? I've got the Duratech V-6 in my Taurus and do not find it particularly noisy. Maybe not dead quiet on acceleration, but not objectionably loud. Maybe the Duratech winds out more on the Five Hundred than my Taurus during hard acceleration, especially if you drove a CVT equipped model, however I would expect it to be quite quiet at steady speeds as the engine is going to turn at slower rpm than my Taurus does.

I haven't driven a Five Hundred however, so the noise issue is just speculation on my part. Any early owners want to comment?
  • The Mirrors definitely fold in. I folded them in so the dealer could drive the beast out of the showroom. I find them a bit large/trucklike, but can get use to them.

I found the 6 Speed quite loud as it would kick down and race. The CVT seemed much quieter. The only thing that would keep me from choosing 6 speed over CVT is the newness of the latter technology.

I did not notice any rear view mirror obstruction.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,444
    ...and buckwheat. thanks for the info. i was looking at the 'sticker', which did not indicate the seats were heated.
    My guess as to why the engine noise, and non-foldable mirrors were an issue might have been the SE model being tested. It has a bit less noise insulation. But competitive with other vehicles.