Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Antennas imbedded in glass have much poorer reception than mast antennas. Ford, keep the mast antennas, please! Don't compromise functionality for style ever!
  • Will MY2006 500/Montego get a Fusion style grille?
  • jrdoajrdoa Posts: 11
    A few questions.

1. What, if any, are the differences between these two cars?
    2. Has the problem in the ordering/getting the AWD Montego's been resolved?
    3. Will incentives ever kick-in on either model?
    4. How long have people waited on their ordered AWD cars?
  • corcor Posts: 27
    That's odd...... neither one of my parents BMW's have ever had any reception problems. Neither has my brother's Volvo for that matter. FoMoCo....compromising functionality for style... NEVER. At least relocate it to the rear of the car OR give it a roof mounted whip antenna.
  • willie19willie19 Posts: 139
    Have you got the link to your source for the MY2006 Ford Five Hundred changes?
    Also interested to know changes to the '06 Freestyle, if any.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Not everything official is on the web. I am pretty sure the information shared with us is not official as of yet...and you aren't going to find such a link for quite a long time...months, not weeks....
    OK I realize Ford is not about to officially disclose the MY2006 changes in their website for retail customers at this early date.However the order bank for '06s have just been opened for fleet operations.Just hoping that some resourceful person can find out more than was mentioned in #2539, or is that all for the Five Hundred and also for the Freestyle.

Right now even some good "hints" will suffice.Another thing I want to add is that the '05 Freestyle Limited FWD ( which unfortunately was Not Available) was originally very well packaged in Canada as everything was standard equipment except for AWD & DVD.That was too good to be true.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Hey guys the information I posted is from the 2006 MY Order Guide. A public link is not available at this time.

Here are the changes for the 06 Freestyle

• Colors Added: — Silver Birch
    • Colors Deleted:— Silver Frost Clearcoat Metallic, Norsea Blue

FUNCTIONAL CHANGES • Traction Control Optional on FWD (Standard
    AWD)

OPTION CHANGES • Navigation System Available

again, no public link is available.

Mark
  • maybrookmaybrook Posts: 4
    I tend to agree with you on the Town Car seats, and your preference for the Mazda/Ranger seating. I don't agree with you on the Montego's seats however. The only thing I like about the Montego's seating is the high seat position. I don't like to sit "on the floor" with knees higher than hips.

I've kept my 1995 Explorer XLT with leather, because I am not happy with the Montego. The 1995 Explorer's seats are my Idea of comfort. They are 1-2 inches wider in width and longer in depth, provide some lateral support, have power side bolsters, and adjustable pull out thigh supports. If only I could have this in the Montego. You should try this Explorer seating. I don't know if they retained that seat beyond 1995. Another vehicle that seems to have very comfortable seating is the Trailblazer/Envoy.
    Thanks Mark for the help.
  • Anyone have any thoughts on an extended warranty for a 500 ?
    Thanks
    Steve1313 :confuse:
  • lostlost Posts: 64
    I have been looking at the replacement cost of 225/55/18 tires that come with the limited 500. They are hard to find AND they start at $200. and go up to $240 EACH! at a discount tire dealer, these prices are for the tire only not including mounting etc.. I have to reconsider the Limited and instead look at the SEL.
  • donl1donl1 Posts: 109
    The Tire Rack lists the 225/55/18 at $95 and in stock. Maybe check with them to be sure before going a different size and direction.
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Posts: 468
    The extended warranty from Ford seems to be a good deal. Don't buy one from the dealer.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    I finally saw a Montego driving in southern CA, earlier today on the 57 freeway. They are handsome cars.

Maybe the 2006 models will be a nice surprise.

Since my 2006 Magnum has not come in yet, I sat in a Montego again a few days ago and confirmed that I just can not find a comfortable seating position without a telescoping steering column. Either my legs are squeezed together or my arms are straight out to reach the steering wheel. Any chance that a telescoping column will be available for 2006?

The seats lack lumbar support, but that is not much of an issue, since it is easy to add some foam in the right place. The hump in the floor to the left of the dead pedal is also a nuisance, but again it is somewhat easy to fix.

Ford just needs to realize that some (and probably many) of us would be glad to pay more for the car to get things such as the telescoping column, satellite radio, Bluetooth, dimming exterior mirrors, bigger and quieter engine, and rain-sensing wipers. The high sales level of the Limited and AWD models are strong evidence of this. The excellent crash test results, the presence of both side and head curtain air bags, and the all wheel drive more than make up for the lack of stability control. Ford got so many things right, it is unfortunate to see the lack of simple things which must be in the parts bins for other Ford models holding the Five Hundrerd / Montego, and Freestyle back.
  • fdcapt2fdcapt2 Posts: 122
    :confuse: I'm hoping for some major changes for both the 500/Montego like #2557 stated. It'll still be under powered for it's size and weight, but maybe with some "updates" people might overlook that. The fact that they had many features in some of the cars in the 80's and 90's that are no longer available just says to me that they are not moving to keep up with the rest of the car world. Some of the cars back then had power seats, driver and passenger, with the drivers seat having a power lumbar support. Four wheel disc brakes, remote gas fill door, power antenna, etc., etc., and so on. It's pretty bad when a Hyundai Sonata kicks butt big time with what it offers to buyers, and the new up-graded XG350, forgot the new name, is unreal, and will draw maybe people from all car dealers. Talk about going in the right direction, something Ford doesn't seem to understand. :sick:
  • avantiavanti Posts: 27
    Do we have any idea what is changing on the Montego for 2006? Not much, probably...
    I drive a 2002 Mazda Protege5. Anyway really weird tire size. I actually got 40k out of my speed rated tires but I absolutely could not find a local store with rubber in stock. Long story short, I ordered them from TireRack. I would definitely do this again. UPS delivered the tires to my door then I went down to the local NTB and paid like $40 total for mounting balancing etc.

I paid $195 per tire ordering them through TireRack. NTB would have ordered the same tire for me for $250 a pop. So even paying for mounting and balancing I still came out on top.

www.tirerack.com

Mark
  • jimlockeyjimlockey Posts: 265
    There are two changes that I would like to see for the 500. Add a diesel option and find out about the new automatic transmissions coming out of Europe that gives fuel mileage almost as good as a manual transmission. Add those and I will purchase the 500 from now on.
    I wonder if the telescoping steering column from the Volvo S80 or something else would fit the Montego? ANT14 - do you know?
  • If the telescoping steering column from the Focus was good enough to be used in the Ford GT, maybe it's good enough to be used in the Five Hundred...

Yes, I know that Ford has some reason, but it is a bit odd that a telescoping steering column isn't available when Ford includes them as standard in so many of their other vehicles.
  • Mark,
    If you live near one of TireRacks warehouses, you can even just drive over to it and they will mount and balance the tires for free. No shipping charges that way, either!
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    but we have a discussion here where you can Ask Connor at the Tire Rack anything about tires or about Tire Rack or anything like that. Just thought I'd give you a link in case you are interested.
  • garandmangarandman Posts: 524
    It's pretty bad when a Hyundai Sonata kicks butt big time with what it offers to buyers, and the new up-graded XG350, forgot the new name, is unreal, and will draw maybe people from all car dealers. Talk about going in the right direction, something Ford doesn't seem to understand.

Yes, legions of Ford, Honda, and Toyota owners are streaming to Hyundai dealers to look at the smaller, less powerful, and more expensive to own (as calculated by the Edmunds TMV) XG350. Or not....;-)

The rear end of the 350 is proof that Ford's decision to style the 500 conservatively [ie, tastefully] was the right one for the large sedan market.
  • Why not look for 17"rims for snow tread?Rims should be available buy 17" snow treads and change them from the 18.5's one time cost,may make !8.5's last for yrs.
    lizzzard
    I don't know if this is the correct answer about why there is no telescoping steering column but here is something that alot of people may not know about the Ford Five Hundred. The Five Hundred has one of the first uses of an:

Adaptive steering column
    Collapses in different ways during frontal impacts, depending on the amount of crash energy, the driver's size and seat position. An energy absorbing "bend sheet" holds the upper and lower portions of the steering column together. The shape of the bend sheet helps control the collapse of the steering column in an impact. Using components of the Personal Safety System,™ a computer "brain" determines how quickly the steering column should collapse.

Mark
    The adaptive steering column is good for safety, but what good is it if you can't be comfortable driving the car? I found a Ford dealer who will rent a Five Hundred, and a Mercury dealer who offered a five hour test drive in a Montego, so I will do one or both to give the car one more chance.

To me, the Montego and Magnum are both cars with big cargo areas. The Montego Premier AWD with every option except the sun roof has almost an identical invoice price ($27,581) as the Magnum SXT with the head curtain air bags, power pedals, Bluetooth, Sirius, and upgraded sound system ($27,406), but the Montego has the following features not on the Magnum:

Uses regular gasoline
    Side (torso) air bags in addition to the head curtain air bags
    HID headlights
    LED tail lights
    No blind spots
    Top crash test ratings
    All wheel drive
    Compass
    Homelink
    Reverse proximity sensors
    Automatic headlights (although the 300C switch is easy to add)
    Classy appearance
    Bottle holders in doors
    Automatic two zone air conditioning
    Leather seats with perforations
    Heated seats
    Leather steering wheel
    Trip Computer
    More color choices
    Steering wheel radio controls

The Magnum has the following features not on the Montego:

Telescoping steering wheel
    Wider seats and more spacious interior
    Factory Bluetooth option
    Factory Sirius radio option
    Stability control
    cabin air filter
    dimming exterior mirrors from the 300C could be installed
    rain sensing wipers from the 300C could be installed
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    That post was not in reference to the XG350, but the XG350 *replacement*, the Azera. (Which will be similar in size to the Five Hundred, hella more powerful, and offer more amenities at a similar price... including stability control standard and side thorax and curtains for ALL outboard passengers).

~alpha