Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    www.fordwarrantys.com

Bought mine there for the Explorer I own. Very pleasant buying experience. I saved over $600.00 vs. buying in Southern California! :)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,622
    i have actually been to that dealership. they usually have a good selection of the better fords.
  • tacoboytacoboy Posts: 25
    I have just read (Autoweek) that Volvo is working on 3 new I6 engines for use across the ford family. An N/A 3.2L ~230hp, and two turbocharged 3.0L engines. I wonder what the odds are that one or more of these will end up in the 500 line? Makes sense considering it's S80 roots.
  • ehaaseehaase Posts: 328
    Since the Five Hundred will be receiving a new 3.5L V6 within 2 years, it is highly unlikely that it will ever get the new Volvo inline six.
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    The Volvo engines will not be shared with Ford anytime soon. The new I-6's are to be used on Volvo's, Jaguars, and LR's. The Yamaha V8 will be shared with one Lincoln. Ford will use the Duratec35. F/L/M must use their own engines, to allow for V/J/LR to differentiate itself from them a bit. Plus, Inline engines are something well known to Volvo's, it's proper that they continue that tradition.
  • danielj6danielj6 Posts: 285
    Two questions:
    Did the IIHS test bumper strength on the 500 and Montego?? I mean low speed crashes.

Do these results also include the Freestyle too?
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    Not yet, the bumper bashing tests might take place later this year.
  • frizz2112frizz2112 Posts: 84
    Is it just me or does Ford have a wee bit of a problem on it's hands offering the Fusion with a 221 HP V6 and the 500 with only a 203 HP V6? Perhaps it's not the biggest deal in the world, but I can't imagine this will help with 500 sales. I suppose they will upgrade the 3.0 in the 500 to the 221 HP version when the 3.5 is added in a year or so?
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    Check the torque figures, torque is more important (a car can have high peak horsepower, but if it only comes in at 6,000 rpm, it isn't very useful). It is very common for manufacturers to drop the horsepower, increase the torque when an engine is dropped into a larger, heavier car (or when it moves from a standard transmission to an automatic, for example). For example, the 2.2 Ecotec loses horsepower but gains torque when it is retuned for the heavier Malibu from the lighter Cobalt.

But this begs the question. Do most of us think the Five Hundred should have a bigger, stronger engine? Yes, despite Ford's arguments about good gas mileage and making back performance by using 6 speed automatics or a CVT transmission.
  • frizz2112frizz2112 Posts: 84
    Micweb, I agree with your point regarding torque, and it would not surprise me if the engines were hard to tell apart in real world driving. I was thinking more from a marketing perspective. Asking someone to pay more for a car with a less powerful (on paper) engine puts Ford at a disadvantage. Perhaps it's not one that matters to the majority of customers, but it's there just the same.

I also agree that the 500 needs a more powerful engine, period. Again the marketing reasons are just as important as the practical ones. For all the pre-release hype about the CVT and 6 speed making up the difference, the 500 consistently gets beaten by significant margins by the Chrysler 300 with the 3.5 V6; which Ford showed in some early literature as being about on par with the 500 performance wise. It's less about what you need that what you get for your dollar. I've driven a 500 with the CVT, and I found the power to be adequate, but if a rival gets me noticeably more power for the money, that's a significant advantage.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    I have said this before but the topic keeps coming up.

The Ford Escape uses a different CVT that Ford calls an eCVT and its my understanding that its planetary gear based rather than chain based. Not withstanding same, the Escape Hybrid receives a 150k warranty on unique hybrid components, including the eCVT, in green states such as CA, PA, NY,NJ, DE, CT, MA.

Mark
  • Yes I agree about the power too, glad ford will be addressing this issue soon. I thought because the updated 3.0L uses VCT, the torque has remained the same?

Remember one thing, though. Today this car's strength is the interrior room and comfort, along with an exellent trunk. This car is also ellegant, more so than the new Avalon.

So what is the deal with the new 3.0 VCT?
  • gmctruckgmctruck Posts: 186
    Last week I went to a Ford dealer to look at the 500 Limited. After a short test drive, the salesman offered to let me take the car home for the night, which I accepted. I liked the exterior styling and the interior space of the car. What I didn't like was the rear view mirror is mounted too high and too close to the map lights which obstructs the view. My son didn't like the fact that the rear doors do not unlock when the engine is turned off like the front doors do. I had trouble finding my comfort zone between leg room and the steering wheel. By that I mean when I adjusted the seat to give me enough leg room, the steering wheel felt too far away and my arms were uncomfortable reaching so far forward. The memory seats are nice for when the wife changes everything when she drives. The dash mounted clock looks nice, but it seemed kind of a waste since the radio has a digital clock. The trunk lid on this car did not open and close very well. When you hit the trunk button, the trunk unlocks, but the lid does not move or open. Also the lid did not close with a smooth motion. It was more like a slam shut even though I was not slamming the lid down at all. The car cruised well on the highway and does have a nice ride, but the engine is underpowered and the interior noise level could have been better. I did like the big tires and the car handled very well. The rear backup sensors are a nice safety feature. I also liked the dual climate control and the heated seats. The sound system was adequate for most drivers, but not spectacular compared with GM. With a few tweaks, I think Ford will have a winner with the 500 Limited, but not yet... I do credit the dealer for the way they treated me even though I didn't buy the car. If I do buy a Ford, they are tops on my choice list of dealers.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    You probably just did not pull the rearview mirror down. It has two pivots, one at the roof, one behind the mirror and it is likely it just was pushed up too far close to the roof.

The trunk doesn't pop open because it has a linkage and gas strut design and this design means there is little force initially due to the lack of mechanical advantage of the gas struts until the trunk gets open further. On the plus side, you will not have the gooseneck hinges intruding on trunk space like you did with older designs, like my Taurus. So the tradeoff here is more trunk space but no pop open trunk. I think the no trunk intrusion is more valuable than the pop open trunk. Also the gas struts act as dampers when closing, so the faster you try to slam it, the resistance goes up, unlike the torsion bar springs and gooseneck hinges of old.

The fact the rear doors do not unlock is more of a safety feature for keeping young children from getting out on their own. Note also, if the front doors are like my Taurus, they do not "unlock themselves" but they do allow opening the door from the inside without pressing the unlock button, as the inside door latch overides the locks. A quick press of the unlock button lets the rear passengers out, but I suppose this is a little less convenient.

As far as power and noise level, this has been noted many times, with most people claiming the power levels are adequate, if not earth shattering, and engine noise levels are only noticeable during hard acceleration. Once under way, it quiets down nicely.

Did your test Five hundred have adjustable pedals? If so, you may have been able to adjust those to get you closer to the steering wheel.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    The front doors do NOT unlock themselves, they act just like your Taurus does.

I would be curious as to whether gmctruck test drove a 6 speed or a CVT. I own an AWD SEL and I have not had any problems with lack of power....that is not to say I would not be interested in a more powerful engine, I would be...

Automatic unlocking of all doors is a safety hazard in this day and age. It is NOT that difficult to open a door...sheesh, the switch is on the door or just pull up the button....This is just a difference from your current vehicle(s), and you will quickly adapt. Note the useful numerical keyless entry on the exterior of the driver's door. You will be amazed how handy that is and how quickly one becomes used to that!

Noise levels are MUCH lower on the SEL and SE, which do not come with the low profile 18 inch tires that the Limited does....
    One thing about the CVT is there is a switch that gets pressed when you floor the gas pedal. This switch tells the CVT that hard acceleration is required and the CVT steps immediately down to the tallest gear ratio available.

If you don't floor the pedal than you may experience "poor midrange acceleration". This takes some getting use to because most people who drive this type of car don't go around flooring them. However because of the electronic throttle, there is no way to hurt the engine.

If you have a CVT and don't think you are getting good acceleration, try flooring it.

Mark
    The 500 Limited only comes with the 6-speed (no CVT). The one I drove was not AWD though. The front doors did unlock when the engine was turned off, but the rear doors did not. I understand it may be a safety feature, but to an 11 year old boy, it's a PITA when dad always forgets to unlock the rear doors... :D
    Ahhh.... you have explained many things.... Thank You! I did adjust the pedals and the seat, but never found my comfort zone. If the steering wheel could be adjusted out, then I would be good to go. Maybe it did and I just didn't know about it like the other stuff. When I told the dealer about the mirror, they didn't explain things the way you have. I did try to adjust the mirror, but didn't want to force anything too hard since it wasn't my car.

Ford did have good incentives on the 500... plus I would get the X-plan discount. It was tempting, but I'm not ready to pull the trigger just yet. I've always been a GM man, so it's hard to make the switch to unfamiliar territory :shades: ... but I do have a Volvo.
    gmctruck: The 500 Limited IS AVAILABLE with a CVT...I have many friends who have one....and I just rode in one of their cars last week....The CVT comes with AWD....and originally was only available on FWD cars with the SE, but now doesn't come with FWD at all, I believe...
  • garandmangarandman Posts: 524
    Hre's what I don't get. Car writers fall all over themselves over the extraordinarily mundane Accord (I own one) and Camry. But the tasteful 500 gets clobbered. What gives?
    It's fashionable and hip to bash American cars and like foreign cars, even if (some would say particularly if) you do not know what you are talking about....

That's a good part of it, for sure...
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    Gmctruck - The very first time I sat in a Five Hundred, I tried to pull the steering wheel out. After sitting in and driving many of them, I finally gave up on them (Five Hundred, Montego, Freestyle) just because of the problem of obtaining a good seating position and the excessive noise from the drivetrain. I would like to have the better fuel mileage of the Freestyle, but have a 2006 Explorer on order. It would be a real surprise if Ford does not offer a telescoping steering column in 2007. The power pedals do not help, as they are more for short drivers, not tall drivers. I also visited a Ford dealer which offered to allow me to take a Freestyle for a long / overnight test drive.
    It is interesting to note that the Fusion/Milan, a smaller midsize to come from Ford this fall, DOES have a telescoping/tilt wheel....

Perhaps Ford has learned a lesson and will indeed include it in the next reskin for the Five Hundred/Montego...
    Come on over to Ford, they won't bite! I did in 1990 switching off from GM sedans and haven't gone back. GM just turned me off when my 1983 Chevy Celebrity had the same bugs that GM didn't fix from Citation of four years earlier which shared much of the same drive train, suspension and brakes, which I had hoped GM would have improved, but they did not.

Seriously I know GM's quality has made leaps and bounds, just like all the domestics, but I have not had a good reason to go back from Ford for mainstream family sedans.
    Mazda6 has a telescoping wheel, Ford probably found it cheaper to keep than to decontent.

also ALL FWD Five Hundreds come with the Aisin 6 speed.
    ALL AWD Five Hundreds come with the ZF/Ford CVT

Mark
    That is not true, at least in the early production runs. I have checked inventory on line of local dealers and they have FWD versions with the CVT. Ford may have changed the mix due to availability issues of the CVT, but CVT front wheel only Five Hundreds are on some dealer lots.

It is true however that all AWD versions have the CVT exclusively.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    If you get around to test driving a Dodge Charger with the 3.5, the same engine in the Dodge Magnum or the Chrysler 300, I'd be interested in your impressions.
    Originally, the FWD SEL and Limited came with the 6 speed, while the FWD SE and all AWD's came with the CVT. I later heard that all FWD SE's were switched to the 6 speed, yet after that still saw newly produced FWD SE's come onto the lots with the CVT. Confused yet?

The ONE thing I DO know is that there are indeed Limiteds built with either transmission..but in all the Limiteds, the CVTs are in the AWD and the 6 speeds in the FWD...
    Well now... it's funny that you mentioned that! I did stop by our local Dodge dealer to ask about the charger. The dealer had sold the only one they had, but three more are on the way and will be in next week. I was promised a phone call when they hit the ground, so we'll see next week. :D :D