Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar: Problems and Solutions

Comments

• I have a 2002 XJ8 VDP that I bought used from the dealer with 16,000 miles in May 2005. It's still under the original factory warranty, bt has the extended 6-year 100k warranty as well. About a month ago, it started making a low pitched roaring noise once it hit 55 in regular mode. When I push the Sport mode button, the noise goes away. It does this consistently and the noise has gotten louder over time. When kept in Sport mode, the sound is fine. The dealer acknowledged a problem and replaced the transmission, but the noise persists. The dealer contacted Jaguar and was told this is a known condition and there is no fix. The sales manager at my Jaguar dealer drove the car and says the noise is terrible and he can't believe Jaguar won't come up with a fix. The dealer has had my car for over two weeks now while we wait for the regional rep to appear this week to look at the problem. The dealer has been courteous and even gave me a new 2006 S-Type to drive while the problem is under review. Has anyone else heard about this problem? Any idea what my options are if Jaguar can't fix my car? It's still under the original factory warranty. Thanks!
  • I have a 1998 XJ8. Runs great! Everything works. When the weather is warm, on start-up engine sounds as if it has been sitting a long time. Lifter noise. After I rev the motor to about 1500 rpm the there is a sound as if a solenoid or switch is kicking in. After that engine is quiet. When weather is cold, no lifter noise on start=up. After engine starts to warm up, lifter noise begins. When I rev the engine solenoid kicks in, and engine quiets down. I am wondering if one or both variable valve solenoids might be failing. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I love Jags,but I am familiar with muscle cars. I have built my own engines, but the Jag is a different animal. Thanks, Bill
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,529
    Hmmm...I wonder if you are running the right weight oil. The wrong oil can bother variable valve controllers. Also off brand oil filters are a no-no.

• you're in good company with this problem. this happened to my '98 vdp with 45,000. i'm the former dealer principal at the jaguar dealerships in houston and after 15 jag vdp's, i've given up. the problem with the transmission is that ford specified a cheaper machined part in the zf transmission. many, many transmissions failed. i believe this problem went beyond jags. simply put, ford is broke and has been cutting many corners. look at the slow role upgrade of the jag dash. look at the outdated lincoln navigator. and now compare it to the lexus. it should be obvious that ford is cutting corners at every turn. one of those cuts was a $3 part which results in the transmission's failure. it doesn't make sense to spend $70 or $80k on a car from a company whose debt securities are rated junk. if you think corners aren't being cut, you haven't been in business. at least you're in good company with the transmission problems. jag will offer no help. my solution was to buy another lexus. unfortunately, ford isn't likely to survive as we know it.
  • I use Castrol GTX 10-30 motor oil. Also best filter available at parts store.I change oil every 3000 miles. Thanks, Bill
    Why don't you try a 5W multiple oil and buy the filter from the dealer and see what happens?

• I will change oil again next week, and go to the Jag dealer and buy a factory filter. I will post a message if it helps or not. Thanks, Bill
  • I have a 2001 Jaguar Vanden Plas. While I was driving the car last night, the steer wheel started to move in and out, up and down almost like a "ghost" was adjusting the steering wheel based on their size and need. In otherwords, the car was moving the steering wheel around all by itself.

I ultimately parked the car and turned it off hoping that when I turned the car back on it would stop this strange behavior.

When I did turn the car back on, it started immediately and the steering wheel commenced moving around on its own just as before.

One thing new was discovered. I could not move the gear shift. It was stuck in park and the car could not be driven.

I will be calling the mechanic tomorrow but would appreciate any thoughts on this.

I am hoping that this is a simple fix - either the steering wheel memory malfunctioned or a blown fuse and that whatever the problem, that I or if necessary a mechanic can remedy the problem easily.
  • tms0407tms0407 Posts: 13
    when it rain i think water is getting some where and causeing the car to feel like it is jumping now check engine light is on. any suggestions or comments
  • First time on this forum but after reading the blogs I felt obliged to submit.

Over the last couple of years we've had our share of late model Jags in our shop... First an S-type that needed the plugs replaced (under the intake manifold...great place to put 'em)... our mech replaced them but swapped the "UNMARKED" vacuum and intake manifold water lines and yep... you guessed it... hydrolock...!!! Blew the back (passenger side) rod through the block and pan... I'm still paying the bill for that one... thank goodness the local Ford dealer had the SHO piston, rod and bearings in stock... welded up the hole in the block & pan......What engineer puts identical hoses next to each other and doesn't mark the inlets (or make the GI-proof...!!)??? Next, a VDP comes in for water hoses.. again under the intake... requires about 2 weeks to get the parts... replace 'em... and gee.. it won't start... check compression... NO (or little)COMPRESSION, in any cylinders...!!! Checking around we find that 98-2000 engines lose their nicasil cylinder lining at about 50-75K miles... oil down the walls with 80-90 weight gear oil and wow... it starts...!!! Quick get it out of the shop before something else happens..!!! (amazingly the owners are still driving it... they just always make sure they start it once a day...!!!!

Finally, day before yesterday my neighbor with a 1999 XJS calls with a no-start problem... we tow it in and find no compression on #1&#4 (on the drivers side)... bore-scope the cylinders and find the exhaust valves not moving... remove the valve cover and found the secondary timing chain broken because the plastic tensioner came unbonded from it's mount and jammed in between the chain and sprocket...!!!! Call the dealership in Houston who sez they've "had a bunch of those failures... parts are about $2200 (assuming no bent valves) and labor about the same... AllData shows 32 hours to change all chains and parts...!!! This is second "no-start" failure on this car.. last year, shortly after buying the car it was in shop having "paintless dent removal" guy massaging out a couple of dings in the left rear quarter panel and when we went to start it.. No start...!!! Had it towed to Houston (no Jag dealer here in Corpus) where they found a bad "body control module" had failed...!!! Just sitting there...!!!

Another good looking, good riding late model Jag, sittin' by the road waiting for someone to take pitty on it...!!!

Epilog...Local Jag expert just closed shop.. went into house building business... and, new sign on the front of our shop...NO JAG WORK ACCEPTED.!!!

You decide... would you buy one...!!!!
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    If I buy a 2003 3.0 S-Type Select Edition with about 50K miles and drive it for 3 years and 40K miles before getting rid of it (to have some warranty coverage remaining for the next buyer and help private party resale), how much should I expect to spend on maintenance in those 3 years?

What are the regularly scheduled maintenance services required between 50K and 90K miles and what are typical costs at the dealer?

What about non-maintenance "wear items" not covered by the Select Edition warranty such as a 4-wheel brake pad job etc. that might likely need replacement between 50K and 90K miles?
  • midgesmidges Posts: 1
    Re More Jaguar Problems-- I have sympathy as I own a 1998 XJ8L that has 63000 miles. Purchased it new and over lifetime have had many electrical and door lock problems. At this time the electronic locks do not work Dealer has quoted $650 for new module located under back seat. Does anyone know if there is an after market supplier that has a less expensive offering. Are they relatively easy to instal? A week before Christmas car had to be flat-bedded to dealer with a blown upper radiator hose caused by a stuck thermostat. Dealer charged $525 for this. Immediately after that the car developed an engine noise which the dealer has analyzed as secondary timing chain and has quoted $2800 to repair. After market repair shop says they can do it for $1700. Am I at risk going with non-dealer even though repair shop only does Jags. They both advise that timing chain problems are a frequent problem. Is this correct? Is this the time to sell the best looking car on the market, as a fellow Jag owner indicates that the next problem I can anticipate on the 1998 model is transmission problems. Are there any other problems I should anticipate? Would sincerely appreciate experiences and opinions. Please treat as urgent. Many Thanks. Midges
  • Over the past 4 months I had a concern with the transmission on my 2002 Jag x type and the dealer kept telling me the herky-jerky motion I noticed was normal. I had the 40k maintenance in early December and the warranty expired although the car had only 35K miles. Last week the transmission quit working and Jag and my local dealer tell me the repair will cost $6150.. This dealer has performed 100% of maintenance since new..
    Any suggestions?
  • xkiddx13xkiddx13 Posts: 122
    I have a solution to all of your jag problems, sell the ones you have and never buy another jag..

hope that helps
    If you took the car to them about the transmission problem before the warranty expired and they didn't fix it, you should be able to get them to pay if you either take them to court or talk to Jaguar customer service.
  • u2jrmwu2jrmw Posts: 13
    Just wanted to share my disgusting experience with Howard Orloff Jaguar in Chicago. Last night I went to take a look at an X-Type at aforementioned dealer, they don't have parking space in downtown Chicago so the use their porters to valet. Before I pulled in I put my iPod in the drawer under my seat so it would at least be away from temptation. The guy working there asked me to pull the car up and leave the keys in so they could move it. I went away to look at the X-type. When I came back about 15 minutes later I reached into that drawer and my iPod was gone. My car had been moved so they had driven it. I searched around, but obviously it had been stolen. The guy that had been attending to my car (not the one who had moved it and the sales manager both looked as well. No sign of it. I have since searched my car 4 times, it is not a nano so it can't vanish. They looked concerned and assured me I would get a call from one of the owners the next day who would make sure it got sorted.

So I called them the next morning around 10a.m. and left a message with the owner. I didn't hear back so I dropped by at 11. The sales manager said he had just got in and hadn't had time to review the security tapes. Away he goes for 20 minutes. When he comes back he tells me that the tapes show only one person in my car, and he trusts them explicitly...

He said there was nothing else he could do and he would need to talk to the owner later that day and I would get a call.

Didn't hear anything at 3pm. Left another message for the owner.

Got a call at 3:30pm from the sales manager telling me they re-reviewed the tapes and saw nothing suspicious and there is nothing else they can do.

I filed a police report and a complaint with Jaguar NA, and I will be taking them to small claims court.

Not only am I annoyed at their final response, all the way through the process I felt like they thought I was trying it on, or they knew that I would have to end up taking them to court and they didn't think I would.

My advice avoid this dealership like the plague.
    Please be very careful about posting phone #s publicly in a forum. To protect you we remove any post with your personal phone #.

You should always contact other users privately and exchange information. You can click on their profile name which appears hightlighted in blue in the header of their post and this will reveal their e-mail address (if they have made it public in their profile.

thank you

Host

• Just wanted to get suggestions on how to eliminate knocking sound on my x-type front suspension, the problem basically is when you use it there is absolutely no sound for the first 15 minutes but afterwards, even small bumps and humps would irritate you because of the non stop sound. Brought it to Jaguar Service center and have replaced lower suspension arms and stabilizer bushing to no avail. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. :(
  • kippatelkippatel Posts: 1
    SAME PROBLEM I HAVE ANYTHING HAPPENED YET ? HOW CAN A HIGH LINE CAR HAVE TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS @ SUCH A LOW MILEAGE ?
  • my 2000 s-type has become more of a hassle then a luxery car to me. from changing spark plugs every 10000 miles cause they foul up to leaking anti-freeze from nowhere to be seen. to burning up oil slowly cause they engines cant handle more then 50K miles on it... im trying to do a full tune up on it now and i cant even find the oil drain plug.. ive searched all over the engine and under the engine and chasis... nothing.. i can only find the oil filter... plus the power coils for electronic ignition burn out faster then the gas does... im down to 10.2 mpg on fuel... about 140 hp from 240 normal... why does such a high priced car be such a pos... and now when i turn my wheel i get a nasty squeek like my belt is slipping.. i have full power steering fluid also... good thing jaguar is a luxery car... should have went with honda or toyota.. atleast i dont know to worry about breaking down so much... but i dont have tranny problems YET thank god. time to sell it to some kid who wants to flose and get girls with it.
  • Hi,
    I am new to this forum and have owned my 2000 jaguar s-type for about a year. Well yesterday i was taking out my winter rims/tires and putting on my summer ones and i noticed a severe leak of red fluid which is assume is the transmission fluid. When I inspected it furthur i noticed that its not leaking a little...its a lot of leakage! What could be the reasons why this happened? When i try to pinpoint the leak...i cant really get it to one specific point.
    The other thing is that i really need a car to drive so im thinking about just putting in some more fluid and driving it to a mechanic or something...the problem is that i dont know where to fill in more fluid from. I looked in the owners manual and it doesnt mention anything regarding that.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You
  • jagmikejagmike Posts: 2
    I have a huge issue with my Jag. When the car is driven (until the temp gauge is half way up) my transmission makes a horrible noise when it shifts. The gears don't slip - it shifts fine. It's just a loud squeal when it shifts from gear to gear (upwards). When the car has reached it's normal temperature --- no noise! I've taken it to the local Jag dealership and they don't repair - only replace transmissions -- yet they can't confirm anything is wrong with the transmission. Apparently, thier diagnostics confirm the tranny is great. So, I took the car to a local Aamco -- they confirmed the tranny was fine. Any ideas?
  • dubinskidubinski Posts: 1
    I have no message lights and checked the fuse and it's ok. The dealer says maybe 8 hours to take the dash out and find the problem,

Has anyone lost these lights and if so, what was required to fix it?

Thanks,
    Dubinski
  • jagmikejagmike Posts: 2
    I have had to replace bulbs in my dash lights. The dealership charged $125 -- it took about 2 hours.
    Nice.
    2 hours labor to replace dash bulbs or 8 hours labor to troubleshoot some warning lights that don't work.
    The car sounds like it is a bit too difficult to work on.
  • Have a new 2006. When moonroof is totally open and the speed is 30-50mph, the whole roof vibrates and a vibrating sound is very loud. Took it to dealer and was told that I need to partially close the moonroof and it would cure the problem. Also told that all S types erform the same. In fact the loaner S type vibrated. Told dealer that it must be a design flaw or and assembly problem as my 03 S type never vibrates. The dealer (Bluff City British Cars in Memphis) said it must be a design flaw in the 06 models. Called Jaguar and they said no other complaints like this have been filed. Has anybody had this problem?
  • dbaindbain Posts: 3
    Dear sir I'm having the same problem with my jaq,please tell me how it was fixed?
  • jaguar09jaguar09 Posts: 12
    My problem still exist so I have filed a lawsuit against Jaguar because they want to act like this problem does not exist. They claim no one else has this problem and no one has been hurt because they do not want to admit they have this problem so they want have to do a recall.
  • dbaindbain Posts: 3
    There is a gentilman that had the same problem with his xj8 and he said the dealer changed the ecw relay ,and he hasn't had the problems since.the only problem is the car has a munber of these big vuses.so I don't know which one to change .I'm trying to find this guy's message,when I do i'll let you guys know, hey by the way called the dealer about the stalling ,and asked if there was a recall ,he said yes there is one on the 98 xj8.it's a part on the toddle body.
  • jaguar09jaguar09 Posts: 12
    Please keep me posted. I really appreciate your assistance.
This discussion has been closed.