Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 Toyota 4Runner

123457»

Comments

• I have just purchased a '05 (v6 sr5 4x4) and hear the same ticking noise that sounds like a valve but there is much speculation on this. I don't want to type forever, but check out http://www.toyota-4runner.org/ and search the threads for engine ticking. There you can read all the speculation you want. Dealers say this is how its supposed to sound. I have platinum service contract up to 100k so if there is no fix the ride will be gone before then. At 60k the maint. schedule calls for valve clearance (valve lash) adjustment, which may fix the problem. If your handy you can do this yourself if you want.
    Overall I think the engine is smooth and quiet and the slight tick really doesn't bother me. The brand new '07 I test drove made the same sound. Seems to be only the v6's that do it, aluminum block making more noise? Good luck with your ride, you ain't alone, don't start worrying just yet ksemedo!
  • I recently purchased an 05 SR5 Sport model V6 2x4 with full leather (after mkt?) with 12k miles. I found it at a local So Calif Volvo dealer as a trade in. The vehicle didn't sell and was finally reduced to 22k I got it for just under 21k. It has lots of great features, but I really wanted leather. I think it's a good deal, but as this is my first 4runner, any feedback is appreciated.
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    There are many places that do aftermarket leather.

One is called Classic Soft Trim.

Do a google search!
  • You got a great deal! You would have paid more for that up here, thats for sure (St. Paul, MN).
  • Hello,
    I have a 2006 4Runner with the 4.0 liter v6. The vehicle has about 12,000 miles on it and at about 8-9,000 miles the engine began to develop a noticeable tick. The tick is coming from the left bank (Drivers Side) and from what appears to be the center cylinder. The problem is intermittent but noticeable about 80% of the time. It does not seem to matter how the vehicle is driven but the tick is only noticeable when at full operating temp.

I have exhausted my resources for investigating this and have concluded that the problem is injectors or valve train. When using a stethoscope you can here it very well between the two cams above the center cylinder on the driver’s side. The right side has never sounded this way and has only sounded like a typical quad cam aluminum engine with normal valve and injector chatter. I have brought the vehicle into the dealer 2 times and I was told this was normal. On my third visit I was a little more aggressive and all the sudden they to could here this noticeable tick. The dealership suspected that this was the result of a bad injector. They claimed that they would need to contact Toyota about this before they could proceed with the repair. After 5 days (Long story) I was contacted by the dealer and they informed me that Toyota was working on this and that it may be linked with the manifolds or something???? OK, I believe that for about one minute. Considering that a manifold problem would not be so sporadic nor would the noise be so centralized above the center cylinder.

I have attempted to solution this myself with doing the following:
    1. Driving light, Moderate, Aggressive to diagnose or eliminate a possible valve timing/VVT-I issue.
    2. Converted to Mobil 1.
    3. Different fuel types including blends.

I could type all night explaining how I have tried to solution this and have came up empty handed. I would like to add though that this is my first post and thanks to all of you and this site I have been able to research and educate myself on some of the issues.

Can anyone help and does anyone have a detailed schematic of the valve train and injectors for this engine. I would like to continue to document and develop my theories?

Thank you!
  • Man, I spent so much time researching this one myself that I just about gave up. I have an extended warranty to 100k so if I can't fix it or figure it out by then I'm going to trade it in, making sure I document the fact that a dealer said nothing was wrong. As far as I know, fuel and oil makes no difference. My engine makes the noise about half the time, and it always runs the same so I'm not too worried. You could check out other people's experiences on toyota-4runner.org or yotatech.com and read for hours if you want!
  • I have the same noise on my '06 4R V6 since new. I've driven other new 4R's with the same noise. I've found this info for Tacoma's with the same engine as the 4R (V6).

The TSB reads;
    "2005-2006 model year Tacoma vehicles........."
    "Some customers may experience a ticking or tapping-type noise from the engine area at 2000-2500 rpm during acceleration that is most noticeable after a cold soak. New exhaust manifolds have been developed to minimize this condition".
    Part numbers for the (new) exhaust manifolds are;
    RH, 17140-0P070
    LH, 17150-0P070
    Gaskets (2), 171173-0P010
    Warranty Code, EG5027
  • mammut1mammut1 Posts: 1
    Hey I was just wondering, can anyone tell me about a 4runner I have found. It has the rear spoiler of the Limited, leather seats, but i don't think they are power (after market)? The entire truck is black, with black running boards, roof racks and trim and is an american vehicle being sold in Canada. Are the US models different, other than the speedometer? I'm just not too sure as it seems to have different options from different models all thrown together....Thanks very much
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    Limited trucks sold in the US have power front seats. I have no idea about differences between US and Canadian models.
  • can anyone please tell me a good site for grille gaurds or push bars with good quality at a good price for an 05 4runner sport. thank you.
  • jeep53jeep53 Posts: 49
    Hi: I'm thinking about purchasing a 2005-2006 4Runner..I've always had Jeeps before but I'm tired of them at this point and I want something that drives much smoother and gets a little better gas mileage. Can anyone please give me any pointers about the 4Runner?
    I like Toyota products so I would think the 4Runner would be a good SUV. Also, how are the cloth seats as compared with the leather? I'm looking for a comfortable ride and a pretty quiet ride also. I appreciate any help. Thanks!!

Steve (Jeepster53@aol.com)
  • boats3boats3 Posts: 41
    Steve, After 330,000 miles and 2 Jeeps later I just changed over myself. In fact I picked the plates up yesterday. I had a 93 Wrangler with 150k and a 02 Liberty with 190k on and I could not be happier. I purchased a used 2006 Limited 4 Runner without the nav and air ride, 8 cyl. The ride is much different from the Jeep, a much more comfortable ride. I do miss the Jeep a little bit though.

The 06 I bought had less than 30k on and was maintained at the dealer so I had access to the records via my salesman. I paid less than 20k for it.

Brian
  • my 2005 toyota 4runner 8 cyndiler will not rev up past 2 rpm since the barrtery died. It took me 2 weeks to get a new batterry the car started starts but will not go past 2 rpm. could it be a fuse that burned out since I did try and jump start it many times
  • easyteasyt Posts: 1
    I just took my 2002 4Runner to the dealer for oil & filter with 118,000 miles on the odo. Ended up spending $800 for replacing all belts including the timing belt (not a timing chain on this model) . I intended to put it off a little longer but they discovered a bad leak in the water pump (I check it myself). Guess the 90,000 mile inspection that I skipped ain't a bad idea after all.
  • Passenger side rear blinker works, but is VERY dim. Can I figure out and fix this myself? Or do I need to take it in?

Thanks
123457»
This discussion has been closed.