Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar X-Type Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• Hi, I live in New York City and I'm also interested in the 3.0 X-type Sport, manual transmission, anyone know any great deals in the tri-state area?

Thanks
  • Hello. Jaguar seems to be one of the more active manufacturers in the re-leasing of their previously owned vehicles. The program is appealing to me from an affordability standpoint. Any input as to others experience with the concept or opinions would be appreciated. thanks!
  • I've owned an '02 X-Type 3.0 with the manual gearbox for a few years now and I have nothing but good things to say about the car. If I had to list the negatives, I'd have to say the rather unusual clutch engagement and the lack of two cup holders in the console. They've since fixed the cupholder issue but I don't know about the clutch. My 3.0 came with everything, including the GPS Nav System. It's black on black and that color combo as well as the engine-transmission combo probably make it a rare cat, at least in the USA.

It's my wife's car and she loves it. No major problems at all and the few small ones were corrected by the excellent warranty. The car is approaching 40,000 miles and still looks and drives like new.

It was my first Jaguar, but it very likely won't be my last.

My warranty included 'complementary' services including oil changes at 10,000 mile intervals. I 'complement' that by supplying my own synthetic (Mobil 1 5W30) since Jaguar does not use synthetic oil in the X-Type but I use it in everything I own.
  • kkearkkear Posts: 2
    Anybody having alignment/tire wear problems on their X type. Needed 2 alignments within 15K.

It could just be lousy roads here outside PHilly, but I'd like some input.

Check Cherry Hill Classic Cars in C.H., N.J.

We went past 4 other dealers to get the deal they gave us, and they they treated us like luxury car buyers, not deal chasers.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,913
    You'll have better luck in our regular X-Type discussion:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.eea46d6

This discussion is mainly for those in the purchasing process, but you'll find other owners in the topic linked above.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tomslycktomslyck Posts: 70
    We bought an X-type in January. We searched the web, found a pretty good price from a dealer 40 miles away. Then we called and discussed it on the phone. Then we took that information to our local dealer and he was really good about giving us a better deal. He didn't use a hard sell approach, but simply sat down with us and went through the details. I'd buy another car from him in a heartbeat.
  • I got mine for $29K with heated front seats. You shd. pay around this price range. I bought my brand new X-type 3.0 Jan. 29. I found out that buying a car towards the end of the month is a good strategy since salesmen have to meet their monthly quota or something like that. Now that Ford/Jaguar reported negative last quarter earnings, they want your business.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,344
    A NW dealer has been sitting on this unit for a little over 6 months. It has the standard equipment, nothing fancy, & Radiance Red.

Last December, a few sold for less than $40,000 on e bay and they had less than 10,000 miles.

Considering the Sales Tax is 8.8% - what should this Jag sell for today?
  • mattr82mattr82 Posts: 41
    We are very interested in purchasing a remaining 05 X-TYPE VDP w/ navi. Has anyone had any experience purchasing this car in NY/NJ/PA area? The MSRP comes to around 41k, but the best price we have been offered is around 37k OTD, including 6% NJ sales tax, 99 docu fee, 399 regis for 48 mo. Being that Jaguar's sales have been very poor, and the 06's are coming out soon, we feel that we can get a very good deal for this car now. Any recommendations on negotiating or which dealer/salesperson we should use would be spectacular. If people could post what they paid for this car, that would also be greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance.
    Matt :)
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
    Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Jaguar X-Type. Thanks.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
  • zillzzillz Posts: 21
    I have some questions about leasing, which is something I've never done. I am somewhat interested in the Jaguar 3.0 liter X-Type Base Sedan, despite hearing conflicting stories of reliability problems, especially with drivetrains, and since the nearest dealership is 100 miles from where I live, I've been wisely advised that purchasing a used one out of warranty would be a risky undertaking. The person suggested that I lease a brand new model to see if I like it and to find out if it will have problems in its first 3 years. He said that during a lease, a car is still under full factory warranty, and I assume this would be the case regardless of the Dealership's distance from me. With that said, If I looked at a new Base X-Type, which would be priced around 33,000 dollars, give or take, what would I need as a down payment, and what could I expect my monthly lease payment to be for, say, 36 months? Could I lease for 48 months? What would the residual Buy-Out be in both of these scenarios? I know the sales tax would be split over the lease period..Tax on 33k at .055 (My State rate) would be about 1815.00, or about $50.00 for 36 months, plus title, license, etc, would probably add another 5-10 bucks. I tried to calculate this on the Jag USA site, but it said that there is currently no leasing on the X-type in my geographical area. I noticed that someone had a $480 payment on a $41,000 model before TT& L, and I would assume in my hypothetical scenario, it would be less. My best guess is that including TT&L, I'd be looking at about $450 total for 36 months, and I'd be able to buy it for about 19K at the end. Is that about right?
  • Greetings zillz. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

Consumers can and should lease any new vehicle that they are interested in without making any sort of down payment. I always advise consumers against making any sort of down payment when leasing. I do so for two main reasons. The first is if your vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen during your lease, your insurance company pays off the bank that you were leasing it through and your down payment essentially disappears. The second main reason is that down payments on leased vehicles do nothing to reduce their lease-end purchase prices. So your lease-end purchase option price for your Jaguar would be exactly the same, regardless of whether you had put several thousand dollars down, or had made absolutely no down payment at all. At lease signing, you will just have to pay your car's first month's payment, a security deposit equivalent to that payment rounded up to the nearest $25 or $50 increment, Jaguar Credit's $495 lease acquisition fee, and any required state taxes or fees.

I would be happy to give you an idea of what sort of lease payment you can expect on this car, however in order for me to do so I need you to provide me with its full MSRP and an approximate selling price. Always remember that the selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable.

Car_man
    Host
  • Hello - I am seriously considering leasing a 2005 X-Type. The full MSRP that I've gotten is 37590. And have a quote for the car at just over 30000 - not sure if that's the best I can do, but it's a start. I live in Nassau County in NY. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • Hi eaglcoach. Jaguar is currently providing $3,500 dealer cash on leases of 2005 X-Type 3.0L models through Jaguar Credit. Make sure to take this cash into account when negotiating your car's selling price, though it already looks as though it is. This car's lease money factor, residual value, and ultimate lease payment will depend upon how long you lease it for and how many miles per year you need to be able to drive it. For example, if you were to lease it for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00107 and 45%, respectively. Using these numbers, an MSRP of $37,590 and a selling price of $30,000, I estimate that this car should have a zero down, pre-tax monthly payment of around $414.

Car_man
    Host
  • Are there any more current dealer leasing incentives not shown in the edmunds incentives listing?

What are the residuals for a 24 or 36 month lease with 15k miles???
  • I was recently quoted a money factor of 0.00031 and a residual of 43% on a 39 mo/15K lease. Payment was $656 before sales taxes. The MSRP was $45,445 and cap cost, including capitalizing all the fees but no cap cost reduction, was $43,534 (Loaded x-type sport). Clearly the interest factor is less than 1% per annum. But I wonder if since Jag is buying down the rate, is there any other incentives between mfg and dealer??
  • Hey bikeswimrun. Jaguar is currently providing $1,500 dealer cash on 2006 X-Types. However, this cash is not compatible with Jaguar Credit's special lease program. It also has owner loyalty cash available on this model right now, but I believe that you mentioned in another discussion that you currently have a Land rover so you probably are not eligible for it.

As far as this car's lease program goes, if you were to lease a 2006 X-Type Sedan through Jaguar Credit right now for 24 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00001 and 55%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease should be .00031 and 44%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • Hi Marisa - we just recently purchase an 04 X-Type and it had 1 key w/fob and an extra key. We found another fob on eBay for fractions of what the dealer wanted and just programmed it ourself. I saw uncut keys on there as well. Here's 1 example - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JAGUAR-UNCUT-REMOTE-KEY-S-X-TYPE-2001-2004-MODELS- _W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33723QQihZ010QQitemZ200041258420QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZW- DVW. There are other eBayers who sell the programming for about $5. We did it ourselves and it took about 15 seconds. You would have to have someone cut it for you though.
  • I'm looking at 2007 X-Types 3.0 standard (not sport). Does anyone have examples of the money factor, residual, and final dollars amounts they paid?

Thank you!
  • tess4tess4 Posts: 2
    Looking for advice. Am interested in purchasing a new 2006 X Type in New England. Want the premium package, heated seats, dynamic stability control, duel seat control and possibly a moon roof. Got the best price of $33K. Anyone have thoughts on this or the best dealer to use in New england.

Teresa
  • Hi jlinchec. I can give you an idea of what this car's lease program is currently like. You never mentioned how long you want to lease it for or how many miles per year you need to be able to drive it, so for now I will assume that you want a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. Jaguar Credit's buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 X-Type 3.0L Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are .00139 and 43%, respectively. You may be able to get an idea of how much you will have to pay for this car right now by visiting the following discussion: "Jaguar X/S series: Price Paid and Buying Experiences". If you provide me with an MSRP and an approximate selling price for this car I can work up a lease payment on it for you.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • hello, I have an X type and the lease is ending. I want to buy the car.. when I called the dealer (Roshental Jaguar in Virginia) they said that I need to do with them a Virginia state inspection.. even do the inspection on my car is not due until June 07 ... this is very strange ... Any input if this is actually required ... thanks
  • adan1adan1 Posts: 1
    Can you tell me what a fair lease monthly payment would be? I am looking to buy a Jaguar S type , navigation/bluetooth package; TR Triton 18" X 8" Alloy Wheels, Radiance Metallic with Invoice of 47,710 and MSRP of 52,000,
    I'd like to know what a fair monthly payment is.
    thanks for the help you can give to me.
    Adam
    Hi Adam. Jaguar is currently providing a total of slightly over $1,900 lease cash on the 2007 X-Type. Make sure to take this cash into account when negotiating the capitalized cost for your lease. I suspect that you will be able to negotiate a selling price that is $1,000 to $1,500 below invoice if there is a decent level of competition in your area.

I would be happy to give you an idea of what Jaguar Credit's current lease program for this car is like and to use it to estimate what your monthly payment should be if you let me know how long you want to lease for an how many miles per year you need to be able to drive.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • rsal50rsal50 Posts: 1
    I am currently looking to enter into a Jaguar X-type lease. I was told the model I want has a MSRP of $36,500 and I was looking for a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per. The competition is very good in the area as I live just north of NYC. I also have an additional $500 towards the lease because I went to the Auto Show in NYC. Please let me now the price range I should pay for this lease.
    Hi rsal50. Jaguar Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Jaguar X-Type Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are .00106 and 42%, respectively. Jaguar is currently providing a total of around $1,900 in lease cash on this car. Make sure to take this cash into account when negotiating its selling price. If you let me know what selling price you are able to negotiate, I would be happy to estimate what your monthly payment should be.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • mary37mary37 Posts: 4
    Hi:I want to lease a Jaguar Xk convertible and was wondering what the residual and money factor are currently? I spoke with one dealer and they said Jaguar is not offering any incentives currently. One dealer told me the residual is 53% and another dealer tells me 60%. What should I believe ? what would be a good lease on this car with 12000 miles 3 year lease and only first payment down? I would like the Luxury package, Senta wheels, and Premium sound all options that make the price of the car in the neighborhood of 91,800. Hopefully negotiating down to about 87,000 as the selling price. Any info would be great!
    Thanks
  • rossw21rossw21 Posts: 1
    I want to lease a 2007 jaguar x-type with 15k/year and would like to know what the money factor and residual value are. looking at the 36 or 48 month leases. the msrp is $36,090 and the dealership is offering it at $28,300. could you possibly let me know what the monthly lease payment would be if i put $2000 down. thank you.
  • Here's the information that you're looking for, rossw21. Jaguar Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Jaguar X-Type with 15,000 miles per year are .00072 and a brutal 39%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 48 month lease are .00132 and 31%. As you can see, this car's residual values are pretty bad. When negotiating your lease on it, make sure to take the $1,500 lease cash that is currently available on it into account. It will help you to negotiate an attractive capitalized cost for your lease.

The selling price that you were quoted for the X-Type that you are interested in is extremely low. It is well below dealer invoice. I suspect that the dealer that you are working with is running your lease through a bank other than Jaguar Credit. By doing so, they can take advantage of a special $6,000 dealer cash incentive that is available on leases of this car through independent banks. If this is indeed the case, then you will not be able to take advantage of the aforementioned special lease program and I cannot use the prices that you mentioned to work up a sample lease payment for you. Ask the dealer that you are working with what bank they are going to run your lease through.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • IIRC Chase Auto finance is around 37% on a 12k lease and they have approximately .00280 money if you are tier 1. Don't quote me on this exactly, but if I recall I am quite close.

Jaguar Credit's program is better, but the extra $4,500 in trunk money negates their program on the X-Type... even though you pay more interest with Chase, your net cost is lower.
This discussion has been closed.