Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma Real World MPG Numbers

I am looking at buying a Toyota 4X4 with the 2.7 and manual. What kind of mileage can I expect to get?

Comments

• sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,233
    I had a 95.5 Tacoma 4X4, ext. cab 5-speed with pretty tall gears. I averaged 22mpg with about a 60/20/20 mix of highway/rural/city driving. There were long trips on the highway and I still averaged about 22mpg and it didn't seem to matter if I was running 65mpg or 75mph. I see alot saying they're only getting 20mpg, but maybe they have 4:10's, I dunno. Either way, you should be able to find one geared for what you plan to do.
  • tistevetisteve Posts: 142
    I have 4:10 gearing and I'm lucky to get 20 mpg. But, I do have a heavy foot and use the higher rpm's. It's a great engine though for a four.
  • adc100adc100 Posts: 1,521
    I have the '94 4X4 with the 2.4 . 24mpg is as good as it gets and about 20 around town. I have a very light foot. I'm guessing that 22 is about tops on the highway.
  • I get about 20 to 23 m.p.g. (combined) with my 2.7 engine with the 5 speed manual tranny (truck is a 4x4). Speed does not seem to make any difference.
  • beachbratbeachbrat Posts: 23
    Simon, I plan to buy a 2000 single cab Tacoma 4x4 2.7 4cl 5speed and I hear from here that 22-24 is average.
  • tistevetisteve Posts: 142
    I think I might have a bad O2 sensor. I am consistently only getting around 19.2 per gallon. I have the 2.7 with 5sp 4x4 w/TRD. I do drive with a bit of a heavy foot, but I shift early if I'm not trying to accelerate.

Also, on warm mornings I get a funny exhaust-like smell in the cab for a few minutes until she warms up.

If most folks are getting in the low 20's, somethings not quite right.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    Hmm.....yeah. I nearly got 19mpg on my last trip to Dallas, 85mph the whole way, with a V6 4x4, so something is wrong in your truck.
  • rfrossrfross Posts: 15
    I had a 1996 Tacoma basic standard cab 4X4. It had air, an AM/FM radio and the all weather guard package, the 2.7 and 5 spd manual. That's it.

With the standard 3.42 axle ratio and the standard 235/75X15 tires I managed to get a best of 26.x MPG on the highway driving conservatively.

This truck was THE BEST truck I ever owned. When I sold it at 50,000 miles there were ZERO squeaks or rattles. I never should have sold it but needed something that would tow and carry 3 - 5 passengers. Ended up with a new '99 Sierra 4X4 that turned out to be junk and I sold it after about a year of ownership.....

Wish I had that Toyota back!
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    Get yourself another Taco then.
    I wish I could see some of your gas milage....but I don't drive on highway conservatively. I could get 20+ if I stuck to 70-75, but I can't do it.
  • tgravo2tgravo2 Posts: 70
    What kind of truck do you own now? If you had an extended cab Sierra, I'm sure a Double Cab 4x4 Tacoma will not have any less room in the back seat for 3-5 passengers, and you win both ways because you own your Toyota again.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 6,071
    Are you getting the mileage you expected fromt he EPA estimates on the sticker? How's your Tacoma doing out in the real world?

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• vmimanvmiman Posts: 80
    I'm getting 18 in mixed driving. Haven gotten as good as 21.5 on the interstate.

Have V6 manual in a 2005 Access Cab Tacoma with TRD Sport package.

Tom Clark

(vmiman)
  • I have been keeping a mileage log for my '04 Tacoma x-cab 2.4l AT, but have been disappointed in the actual mileage. It's not like there are hills or anything in the D/FW area that would cause any problems.

At least the truck managed to approach the 25 mpg threshold on a roadtrip running 70-75 mph (with a tailwind ;-) ). But then again, maybe getting out of town and away from the reformulated fuel required here helped too.

j
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,679
    I think, perhaps, that your truck was placed in service on 12-06-03 rather than 04, but nice log! What were the EPA #s on that particular rig when you purchased?
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • Sorry I didn't get back sooner, but yes, the date was a whoopsie. It's fixed now.

Seems like it was rated 22 / 25. But I found it interesting at the time that the mileage for the standard cab and extended cab were the same. The log shows that the stated city mileage was some sort of arbitrary, bogus number. Maybe the test track was downhill the whole way around...

On the other hand, my wife bought an '04 Rav, 2 WD, with the fancy 2.4l engine at the same time as the Tacoma and it handily beats its mileage guestimates -- while at the same time providing a whole lot more acceleration.

The downside to the log...I keep looking at the fuel price on those first couple of fill-ups :-(
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,679
    Hahahahahha. I know what you mean. I just filled up my Subaru today with about 14 gal and thought, "Great! Only $27.50, the price has gone down!" Just a few short years ago I was filling up my van with close to 20 gal at the same price. Oy.

"City" mileage can really vary depending on just how "city" it really is. If you're doing a lot of stop/go, like once every block in a residential district, it will drop your mileage much more than having to stop every half-mile at a light on a main drag. For a truck that you use to work, those a pretty good #s. Far better than if you had a 1/2 ton or larger!
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    About 600 miles total on my 2005 Tacoma 4x2 Access cab with 2.7L 4cyl and 5spd manual.

Filled up today and with a mostly city, some hwy mix, I got 20.5 MPG. Not too impressive, but the engine is still breaking in. So we'll see.
  • sckowsckow Posts: 5
    05 Access cab, 2.7L, 5spd, 4X4...First 3 tanks of high priced Long Island 87 octane...Picked the truck up in the middle of the blizzard...4 wheel drive out the dealers lot...first tank 19.4mpg...2nd tank...19.6mpg...3rd tank...20.0mpg....first tank had a good handfull of 4X4 use...3rd tank had no 4X4 use...very happy so far...Hope it gets a little better as time goes on....80% of my driveing is city type....
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    over 351 miles I averaged 21 MPG on my 2.7L 5spd Manual 4X2 access cab. So about the same before.

I should say that the same route with the same driving style and speeds in my previous Ford Focus ZX5 with an automatic averaged about 23 MPG so if I ever just drove a nice, sane even pace, I'd imagine this truck would do decent on a nice road trip.
  • rachunterrachunter Posts: 21
    Please include :
    cab type
    transmission type
    2x2 or 4x4
    engine size

That makes this post much more useful.
    Thanks
  • nbtacomanbtacoma Posts: 15
    2005 Tacoma 4x2 2.7 5spd manual Access Cab

First full tank of gas I went through with it mixed highway/city but mostly highway:

23mpg

By the way, I love this truck. :)
  • hammaahammaa Posts: 79
    I've got '05 DC LB Pre-Runner TRD Sport w/ tow (no mods). Sticker says 18/22 is what I should be getting for mpg. I've now logged about 4300 miles, and had more fill-ups than I care to remember. I've been averaging 15.5 mpg with a mix of 60/40 highway/street driving, with my highway driving generally at about 75-80 mph. I did take one all freeway trip (at about those same speeds) and got 18.5 mpg. Just for fun, for my last tank I kept my freeway speeds below 70 mph, and I got 17.75 mpg, which is much better. So, although I am dissappointed with my mpg overall so far, I guess it's my own fault, because this new Taco apparently tends to suck gas at "higher" freeway speeds. (It's really hard to drive "slow" though, when that thing cruises at 80 mpg at about 2.5 rpms...) BTW, those #'s are based on 89 octane gas. Thx.
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Posts: 300
    "Please include :
    cab type
    transmission type
    2x2 or 4x4
    engine size
    "

AND:

State, octane used, miles on vehicle.

State is a biggie with custom gas blends.

Thanks!
  • I have a 2005 Prerunner sport v6 auto in New Mexico. 3,000 miles. I use 86 octane. and mostly city driving. I am showing between 20.5 and 21.5 mpg. I did post that I think the speedometer is reading fast. The dealer said that Toyota's consider 4-8 mph over/under to be normal. That is a horrible policy! That means that the mpg could be as much as 10% high. That would put the mpg around 19-20 mpg! FYI
    john
  • eaglegeagleg Posts: 87
    DC LB 4X4 V6 5 spd with 2000 miles living in Wisconsin burning reformulated 93 octane gas on 17 in wheels.I have been getting between 17-19.5 depending on air temperature and how much I've got my foot into it.I have yet to try the old non-reformulated gas, but I'm thinking I'll get better mileage when I do.Does anyone know what gas is used during the EPA testing.Reformulated gas sucks on my boat, my lawnmower,my kids motorcycle and just about whatever else its used in so why would the Tacoma be any different.
  • yardguyyardguy Posts: 3
    From the "mileage log" link I posted some time ago, I can see this thread has become quite popular. Lots of folks are now suddenly interested in the actual mileage results from various vehicles.

I am still weighing the impact a "hybrid" vehicle might have -- 8-9 years before battery replacement ($13,000+ in addition to environmental problems) vs just burning the gasoline.
  • True city driving 14-15, mixed daily (some open roads, hills, few lights) 16. Rural highway (55-65 mpg) 20-21 mpg. Interstate @ 75+, 17.5, and Interstate @ 70, 19 mpg. Truck has about 5.3K on it. I run 89 or 90 octance all the time. I check mpg after each fill up. Just changed to full synthetic oil, and the 'summer' gas should be hitting stations as it is now May. Expect (and dearly hope) to see the numbers go up.
  • theguytheguy Posts: 16
    Just wondering after all I am not a machanic but shouldn't you wear in your truck before moving to full synthetic. I was told to wait untill 30k kms before switching. I was under the impression that your rings have to wear in before. Anybody else help us out here that knows anything about this.
  • Let me clarify my metric friend, what I meant by 5.3K was 5300 mi, not km. My oil change to synthetic was at 5000 mi (8000km). Really everyone has a theory on when to change or not to change to synthetic oils. If you read about most syn oils, they say you can use from day one, and look at many top cars out there today. They come with Mobil 1 from the factory... not sure why someone told you to wait 30000km/18500mi. I would say run the oil you are comfortable using.
  • andersonblandersonbl Posts: 1
    4X4 Doublecab TRD Sport Package
    6-speed manual transmission

About 16.2 mpg on average, combined city/highway driving daily.

NOTE: Originally was getting 14 mpg! If you read the manual it tells you the optimal speed to shift at for the best compromise between mileage and performance (according to the engineers at least).

For the 6 speed manual:
    0-15 mph 1st Gear
    15-25 mph 2nd Gear
    25-40 mph 3rd Gear
    40-45 mph 4th Gear
    45-50 mph 5th Gear
    50 and up 6th Gear

I'm puzzled as to why the range for 4th and 5th is so small...why even bother creating a 6-speed transmission?? Towing I suppose....increased engine braking ability? Hmm..

B