Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma Real World MPG Numbers

Comments

• mrestivomrestivo Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Toyta Tacoma 2 wheel drive, 4 cylinder, automatic that is getting 16.5 mpg city, and 20.5 mpg highway @ 65 mph. It has 6600 miles. I checked the computer and it was found to be running fine. The rear gear is 3.58 like it is supposed to be. The truck is supposed to get 21 mpg city and 28 mpg highway. Does anyone know why the mpg's are so low? Thank you for your input.
  • tc07tc07 Posts: 10
    It could be any number of thingss IMO....are you driving the double cab, access cab or single cab? Are you driving in OD? what Tranny do you have? 5 or 6 speed? I have not owned a 4 cyl in a Taco or larger truck so I really don't know what to expect. I do know that in my 07 Double Cab V-6 5 spd auto it gets excellent mileage (It weighs nearly 5,500 lbs w/o any luggage) so you re looking at nearly 3 tons of weight with no load on it. If you are driving below 40 mph a lot the tranny will not go into OD and you are reving the enige like you are running 65 on the road (taking more gas and not going as far)...I TRY to start off at a moderate pace, not "Charging" from light to light for example...then try to get it into OD asap and in town, watch ahead for the lights and slow down way before I get right on a light....this may not make much sense but it works for me.
    On the highway or interstaes, I try to keep in below 75 MPH or 2,200 RPM in OD. Off the intersate I try to run at 55-60 and not use cruise so it does not sown shift on hills. I live in the mountains ...
    As far as BF Goodrich tires...The Rugged Trails on mine are NOT low rolling resistant. I think when I get new tires and go with a highway ribb type tead it my increase the MPG....I DO NOT LIKE the Rugged Trails on mine...they are too soft and won't get the mileage I am used to...I'll be lucky to get 40K on these tires. I do about 50% highwy driving so I am dissapointed in these tires. The ride and handling is good but the tire is to soft for highway driving, resulting in less mileage. I run the MAX tire pressure on these too. That can affect your MPG as well. an underinflated tire will use 10% more fuel than a properly inflated one.
    OK Hope this helps...
  • mrestivomrestivo Posts: 2
    Thank you for your response. I have a Toyota single cab, with Firestone tires: 21570R15 and I keep the tires at 44psi. It is automatic and has 3 speeds and overdrive.Yes, I drive in overdrive. It has minimal weight and it is the smallest truck Toyoyta base unit that Toyota makes. (Not pre-runner, not 4x4 etc.)
  • carey4carey4 Posts: 1
    I get OVER 35 m.p.g. in my 1999 Toyota Tacoma!highway of course. Thats on my weekly commute to Los Angeles from Riverside County (about 150 miles round trip). I've tested it about a dozen times.

Car stats: Extended Cab. Automatic Trans.

Note: To get the high mileage I just have to slow down to 60 m.p.h. and drive at a steady pace. No fast starts or stops. It makes my trip about 5 minutes longer. At 65-70 mph I get about 28 m.p.g. highway.

If anybody does better I'd like to know, and how.
  • cwbykishicwbykishi Posts: 3
    thanks for the response but what kind of mileage are u getting though? i dont want a 4 cylinder because the trd package does not come with a 4 cylinder. im looking at other trucks like the dodge dakota and the colorado and canyon and frontier as well but i like the looks of the tacoma the best
  • gruntgrunt Posts: 6
    I just bought a 2008 Tacoma 4X4 V6 double cab, auto, TRD off road. I have owned it for the past 3 weeks. My first tank of gas, I got 16.75 miles to the gallon(mixture of city and highway driving). The second tank of gas I got 18.91 to the tank(1/3 city driving and 2/3 highway). I am putting 87 octane in the gas tank. When driving on the highway I am setting the cruise control at 65mph.
  • I have a '05 Tacoma TRD Sport crew cab long bed 4.0L. I made 2 trips from Florida to Canada the first in 2006 . I noted my fuel consumption at every fuel stop. On the Interstate I avg. 17.1 MPG @ 80 MPH, 18.3 MPG @ 70 MPH and 20.9 MPG @ 65 MPH. I had approx. 3000 miles at the start. The Second trip in 2007 I changed out the stock intake for a fujita F5 comp. air intake. MPG was roughly the same as the first trip. Later in 2007 I got stuck in the mud crossing the median on I - 10 responding to a Fire/Hazmat call. I had to get a fire truck to pull me out. 4X4 is almost useless with the stock tires in the mud. So I added buckshot mud tires 285 / 75 R17. HUGE MISTAKE. ( the largest you can fit without a lift kit ) Over a measured mile my ODO showed only 0.9 which I figured would happen. I knew I would get a decrease in MPG but I didn't think it would go down to 15 MPG @ 70. I have to slow to 62 MPH to get peak Fuel Economy. ( 65.5 MPH by GPS ) I believe I can better the MPG with a tonneau cover. I plan on replacing the Mud tires with the lowest rolling restiance tires I can find. Any recommendations?
  • tc07tc07 Posts: 10
    I'd get rid of the mudders nd go with a M&S Tread....you've lost over 20% in MPG due to the mudders lone. A tonneau cover will not make any improvement in MPG according to research I've seen...the truck is designed to optimum MPG with the bed open and tailgate closed. This creates a positive draft. On Hwy I personally try to stay below 70...and if possible draft behind (Safely) an 18 wheeler pulling a van trailer...That increases my MPG by 12% over 100 miles. I can't draft if I am in high traffic or hilly terrain and get much benefit.
    My 07 2WD off road TRD Pre-Runner with 4.0L double cab normally gets 20-21 hwy and 19-20 around home...as of late I have seen a 15% decrease in MPG....I found out that Texco locally is adding over 10% Methanol to the 87 octane gas...so far Shell is not doing that here but I suspect all the majors will be before long, if they can get away with it....using shell I still get the 20-21 Hwy and 19-20 around home....not bad for almost 6,000 lbs of Truck and it sets as high off the ground as a 4WD....
    I have BF Goodrich OEM's now but next year will put a highway rib type tire on...maybe a Continental Conti Trac tire and should improve MPG a little more as The BFG's add some drag. Good Luck!
  • I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4 door. All I can say is that I am very disappointed with the milage I get. 14 MPG's on its best days. My brothers Ford 150 gets better. There has to be something wrong.

I have now about 40,000 miles and nothing has changed from day one. I am thinking of selling it for just this reason. I love the truck otherwise but bad gas milage for a 6 banger. I had a Plymouth Voyager van with a 6 banger that got close to 30 MPGs. With the Toyota, I can literly watch the gas gauge go down from stop to stop!!!

What gives???? Any help out there

I can be contacted at 310-227-6860 or email at mecone@aol.com

Thanks
    Martin<a href="
  • Whats your email or phone number?
    I get 14 MPGs with my 2x4 Toy Tac TRD
    May have a cure
    Martin 310-227-6860
    email: mecone@aol.com
  • i have a 2008 reg cab , 2wd , 4cyl , automatic with 3,025 miles on it and i'm getting on the freeway to work 24 miles to 25 miles per gal. Its 20 miles each way. I run it tell the fuel light comes on and the divide by the gals. Usually run between 60 -65 miles per hr , when the traffic permits.
  • I had a 2006 2X4 tacoma access cab 2.7L, I averaged about 400 miles to the tank, about 21 mpg, but my demand for power add off road made the mpg number not as high as they could be, so I just purchased 2009 tacoma 4.0L V6 5 speed auto double cab. First tank 20.8 mpg, second tank the same, but I drove 60 miles on mountain road, so I think things are getting better as it's loosing up.
  • I'm looking to buy a Taco 4x4 v6. extended cab. I'm leaning for a 6 speed manual, does the manual make for better gas mileage?
  • I saw a glossy at a dealership that posted 2 sets of ranges for a 4WD 4 cylinder Tacoma. The set in large type said 17/22. In smaller type below it said 20/26. While there was no clear explanation in the brochure, the dealer maintained the 20/26 range was what I could expect if I were operating the truck in 2WD mode. This goes against my common sense and past experience with other 4WD trucks. I expect that milleage is compromised even if 4WD is not engaged - there is additional weight and additional internal and external friction. But maybe Toyota has worked a miracle here. Can people with a 4 cylinder 4WD please chime in - what milleage range do you see when in 2WD and what is it in 4WD? Thanks!
  • mtrialsmmtrialsm Posts: 159
    My first 5 tanks;
    21, 19.5, 20.5, 20.5 and 20 mpg. Mostly driving back and forth to work, no long trips yet.
    Mick
  • Well I added a soft tonneau and 70k mile hwy tires Continental Cross contact. I also had the front wheel bearings changed due to signs of wear. ( off roading ) Now after 3 tanks I get 20.25 mpg avg. If i could find a Gas Station that sold Gas that was not Enriched ( watered down) with ethonol. I might see 22 MPG avg. I am also building an HHO cell with an EEFE ( a computer to adjust the O2 sensor readings) and PWM (it makes the conversion of HHO more effecient). A guy on youtube has an '06 prerunner with the 4.0l and has seen a 18% increase in millage with the system running. Anyone else messing with HHO? here is a website to check out HHO http://alt-nrg.org/index.html
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Posts: 315
    I just checked my gas mileage and I know its not real accurate to check 1 tank but so far it looks good 19.8 driving mixed city / highway
    4th tank = 20.6 MPG
  • bigandybigandy Posts: 70
    4x4? PreRunner? 4 or 6? Manual or automatic?
    6th tank dropped to 19.8 MPG (using AC now)
  • gfunctiongfunction Posts: 1
    I'm also interested in this...

Do Taco's (and other trucks) get 2WD-like gas mileage when they are operating in 2wd mode?
    now have 2000 miles, drove on Highway A/C + 75MPH got 21.0 MPG could not be happier with this truck. (2 wheel drive TRD prerunner Double cab)
    Sorry it is a Prerunner 2 wheel drive TRD 4.0 V6 Auto Double cab
  • tc99tc99 Posts: 1
    I now know that this is a problem but nevertheless I am guilty, I have been topping off my truck (Toyota Tacoma reg cab, automatic trans) and managing to get 23+ gals in an empty tank. After doing this the first time I noticed that I could drive 500 miles (21.7 MPG) between fuel stops. Being that I drive a lot and hate to stop at the gas station I began to make it a regular practice. This became an issue with the fleet manager so I cut back to 21 gals and about 460 miles between stops.

My questions are,
    How much gas can you get in the same vehicle?
    What is the vapor recovery capacity that this extra gas is going into?
  • onoffroadonoffroad Posts: 17
    Best Motor was the 2.7 4cy. ! But not enought h,p. for the newer tacoma ! My Son and I have loved toyota trucks (He's a six cy.man and standar shift)! His 02 ext.cab 17 to19 mpg (4wd)! My 98 4wd ext.cab 5 speed got between 17 to 21 and I didn't baby it ! Got 09 Frontier crew cab SE 4wd 6 auto ! Got 21.5 mpg first fill-up ! Break in 60,65,70,73 ! Now drive 65,Int.75mph ! AC on ! Best 22.6 mpg ! Avg. 20 mpg city/hwy ! Better ride ,more horses,tran.,mpg than 4cy. tacoma !!!
  • avalon02whavalon02wh Posts: 726
    Seems to me that the Toyota should put the new 2.7L/6spd auto from the Highlander into the Taco. Not only does the engine have 30 more horses, it also would likely increase the EPA mpg ratings to 21/28 from 19/25. The Highlander gets 20/27 mpg while weighing 3850 pounds. The Taco 4x2 access cab weighs 3590.

A two liter diesel getting 140hp and 230 ft/lbs would likely push the Taco to 25/35 mpg. It would make a nice little stump puller too.

This is all fantasy of course. I guess its back to the real world. :(
  • cpboy99cpboy99 Posts: 8
    I've had this truck for over two years now, it was totaled on Friday. But I wanted to post this for future Taco buyers/ After the first few tanks of gas, I realized that I was always getting over 20 mpg. After that, I stopped calculating. When getting gas I just multiplied by 2 to make sure I was over 20 mpg and moved on. So I'm getting 20-22 mpg average city & highway for my first 30k miles.

Great truck, debating getting the same one as a replacement. Or going to the Access Cab 2.7L for a little more fuel savings. My guess is if my driving habits kept me on the high end for the Dbl Cab V6, then on the Access Cab base, I'll be in the 26-27mpg. Hopefully... comments?
  • superglidesuperglide Posts: 65
    I'm on Toyota pickup #8... had several variations, 4 and V6, 2WD 4WD, Prerunner, manual automatic, etc. This one is a 2007 2.7 5 speed Prerunner Access Cab. Best I've gotten is 25.9, worst I've gotten is 19.2. Best mileage is highway driving under 2500 RPM. Typical highway mileage is 23-25, but if I run over 80 it drops to 21. It needs a 6th gear to get better mileage at high speed. Over 2500 RPM it starts sucking it big time, though it has PLENTY of power. I think a 2.7 with a 5 speed automatic would get the best, but Toyota is clueless and could care less about gas mileage. They don't offer an automatic with a 4 cylinder in the Prerunner PERIOD, though the last series of Prerunners were ALL AUTOMATIC... go figure.

The only pickup I've had that got better mileage was my 99 2.4 5 speed (not a Prerunner) which I got 28 highway with once. I think there's a penalty in aerodynamics with the Prerunner because it sits higher off the ground. I'd love to have a new Prerunner Access Cab with a 4.0 5 speed automatic and a scangauge to play with for awhile to see how good I could get out of the new V6 auto combination. I never got better than 22.5 out of the 3.4 4 speed auto Prerunner.

I'm with avalon02wh in msg #338. If Toyota engineers just swapped a few parts around, they could make MUCH BETTER PRODUCTS... and bring us the diesel from the HiLux that they build in the rest of the world. And if they built one the size of my 1986 Xtracab, I'd be even happier !!!

Amazing how many times I've whined to Toyota and GM about the stupid products they build... and all I ever get back is "We're sorry you don't like our product." So let them lose money and go bankrupt... why should I care?
  • I have an '06 Tacoma 4x4 with 33 on the 16 in rims, K&N filter, a full Borla Exhaust system, upgraded front rotors and a 2 in lift, now i'm getting about 15 miles to gallon ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO IMPROVE IT, total miles 62,000

Thanks
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    Removing your lift will improve your mileage somewhat.