Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Real World MPG Numbers

Comments

• aztechianaztechian Member Posts: 31
    Hmmm, I have the tow package... Think I'll get myself a tanker and drive to texas for gas :D
  • badpig521badpig521 Member Posts: 5
    Just like the weather, it will not last long.

I just purchased my 2005 Prerunner May 9th. Auto w/ the 4.0 liter, so I have not been able to check the MPG just yet. It has to be better than the 97 Lincoln Town Car I traded in for it. :)
  • bjw1bjw1 Member Posts: 152
    just filled up today, got 20.19 mpg using 89 using a/c much of the time since last filled up, 206 miles on 10.2 gallons, seems to be getting better each time i fill up, so it seems a/c bears no difference in the mileage at least my taco, has anybody see a big difference in the mpg using a/c?
  • neonwaterneonwater Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1994 PU, regular cab, 5-speed. I get 29.5 to 32mpg. I use an Amsoil air filter and the cat-back exhaust was replaced (due to rust) with 2.25 pipe and a Dynomax muffler. Nothing else is modified. To get 32mpg, I take it slow and coast when I can. Otherwise it's about 2/3 freeway driving at 70-80 mph. This is in southern California.
  • deepred300deepred300 Member Posts: 15
    >>>>what do you mean by, "that explains why they are getting 15-16 mpg right there.

What I meant was that folks that purchase higher octane gas for the sole purpose of more horsepowe and jumping off the line are much more inclinded to get lower mileage.

There is nothing wrong with that. And folks can purchase whatever octane they want.

The point was just that driving style can play a major role in your gas mileage.

John
  • almkaalmka Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get the gas issue resolved? I am dealing with the same thing. Lucky if I get 15 MPG. Tacoma double cab 6 cylinder. Just curious if there is a problem with the car and that is why the milage is poor.
  • boesman1boesman1 Member Posts: 47
    Just got my new 05 DC TRD SR5 long bed and I must say the MPG has been somewhat disappointing....coming in about 15 mixed city/hwy...hoping for improvement after break in period. Either way I rolled out of a Ford F250 5.4L which on a good day only got 10/11 MPG so I am still 50% ahead of the game and expecting better as time goes on...aside from that the truck is a real looker and I am overall happy with the choice ...I had left a deposit on a Ford Sport Trac loaded (adrenalin) and this truck blows it away in overall looks, function and design/build quality not to mention re-sale value 4 - 6 years out.
  • steveh427steveh427 Member Posts: 25
    Just went through my first tank of gas on my new Taco. Dealer filled it up on delivery and of course filled it full with 89 octane. Filled it up today and calculated 20.56 MPG! I drove about 65/35 Hwy/city. If mileage gets better as it breaks in, that'll be even better.
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    Has anybody tried one of those fuel magnet things that fits around your fuel line and supposedly "alligns" the molecules and makes the fuel burn better, which increases your MPG? I've seen some on Ebay, and most of the sellers of these products have positive feedback.

I'm not into gimmicks, but I'm curious about this one. :confuse:
  • ardvarkardvark Member Posts: 4
    i saw on CNN or some other new show that those things are a gimmick --
  • ardvarkardvark Member Posts: 4
    when i look on the toyota website and search for available tacomas, the site says there is only 1 available that meets my criteria of: 4cyl, ext. cab, 4wd, desert mica sand, and the only option of all weather floor mats. after that, i emailed a dealer and they tell me there are 5, but only 1 available. so, what is the deal with the other 4. is the dealer trying to make me jump faster on the only "1" that is available? or is there really only 1. if anyone can explain how the distribution of the trucks works, please let me know. seems like there should be more than 1.
  • leob1leob1 Member Posts: 153
    It was pretty rediculous...unleaded plus in my area has jumped to about $2.60+ per gallon and I was getting about 15.5 mpg in my Tacoma in mixed driving...about 2-3 mpg better than my 1990 Bronco 5.8 on regular. I could not see then sense in using the pickup as a daily driver any longer, especially after gas prices jumped soon after I bought it. For me (obviously not everyone), an old truck for hauling works fine now and a new fuel effcient 4 dr sedan works for a daily driver.
  • newtrucknewtruck Member Posts: 5
    I got the base model primarily as a second vehicle, needed something that got respectable gas mileage. I was pleasantly surprised to see a tad over 29mpg on the hiway w/ AC running. The truck is an 05, Black, seems to be a good value.
    There is a secondary air filter on the 05 Tacoma V6 engines. It is just a carbon-like filter to help emissions, blah blah. It is really restrictive, and if you remove it, it lets the engine breathe a lot better. I notice the engine has a little more pep, and I assume that it might help the MPG as well.

The filter is held in the airbox by 6 rivets that can easily be drilled out. It's easiest if you just take off the whole left half of the air box. There are 2 bolts to take off. One in the front and one in the back on top, then unplug that wire harness and undo that hose on the front. Then there is a small vacuum hose on the very back, no clamp on it, just pull it off. Then there are 2 zip tie things on the front that hold the wiring harness wires. They have a base that fits in a hole, just pull on 'em with some pliers and they will come out. Then just undo the big hose clamp on the throttle body. And pull it all off.

Those rivets were on there pretty good on mine. So i just drilled them out with a drill bit. I drilled a pilot hole in each of them first, to keep the bigger drill bit from wandering around. You only need to drill down about 1/8", enough to eat off the head of the rivet. Then just grab the edge of the filter and pull it out. Easy.
  • rumor_1970rumor_1970 Member Posts: 1
    Hi pb2themax, if you take out this filter won't it offset the computer and the engine might knock. There is a forum here where someone put a K&N air filter in and it offset the air flow too much air was causing computer problems and the engine started to ping and knock. Can you tell me if this happened to you and how much of a increase in MPG have you noticed. Also can I try what you did and then put the filter back in if it don't inc. MPG or did you destory the housing if that is the only way to get at it. Do you have a email I would like to chat with you, you seem very educated on these forums. Please email me and let me know at [email protected] Thanks Joe D.
  • aztechianaztechian Member Posts: 31
    Is this something you would do instead of a K&N, or along with?
    I'm guessing this filter is "downstream" from the replaceable air filter.
    Any info on where/how you found this, or was it just from digging around?
  • doubletacodoubletaco Member Posts: 1
    I just got my new Taco last Tuesday ('05 DC, LB, Impulse Red) I don't know what the dealer put in (reg or premium), being the dealer I would suspect regular but I don't know for sure. My normal driving is mixed with about 70% highway I would guess. But the good news is the first tank gave me 19.5 mpg. Just filled with regular and initially don't notice a significant difference (regular just jumped $.20 in 2 days here in NE MD, at $2.43-$2.49 and higher) Will have to wait and see if it runs worse, but looking forward to the increase after the break-in period...
  • saumonsaumon Member Posts: 2
    4cyl, ext. cab, 4wd,

Here, they don't do 4 cyl. 4wd :confuse:
  • bullock2bullock2 Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of buying a '97 Tacoma Xcab 4wd with Automatic trans & 2.7L 4cl engine...What kind of gas mileage should I expect to get???
  • mainecraigmainecraig Member Posts: 1
    I just Purchased an:
    Access Cab SR5
    4 cylinder 4x4 manual on Tuesday- went 342.7 miles and it took 14.45 gallons of regular (23.7mpg) I drive mostly rural roads driving 55-75mph with some highway driving (low 80's) Only regret about buying it is not doing it sooner- first toyota and first pick up. replaced an explorer at 105k
    Craig
  • cjcrosbycjcrosby Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my 05 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 V6 Auto about three weeks ago. The first tank from the dealer averaged about 18 MPG with mostly Highway driving and my second tank using 89 octane I averaged about 20.5 MPG with a 60% highway driving. I now have about 1000 miles on it.
  • goanglinggoangling Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 Tacoma Xcab 6cyl 4WD manual trans with 230K on it and over the last 10 years have consistently seen 21 MPG, with very little maintenance.
  • phippiniphippini Member Posts: 9
    I took ownership of my Tacoma in June and have just gone over 6,000 miles. It is a 6cyl, AT, 4WD, Access Cab, with Off Road package. Most of my driving is highway through the farmland of North Dakota, no hills, just windy. I use 89-91 octane gas with 10% ethanol and have been getting at least 20 MPG and got 21.5 on a couple tanks. The first 3,000 miles I did not get better than 17 or 18 mpg. Just in the last couple thousand I have tracked a marked increase in the mpg.

Scott
  • mr2donmr2don Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know if this secondary air filter applies to an 03 V6 AT Tacoma? My mileage has decreased to 16 mpg city from 18 mpg with lightfoot driving. Mileage is 27,000. Any feedback appreciated. With $3 per gallon I need help.
    Thanks
  • paratrooper82paratrooper82 Member Posts: 41
    What simple improvements to the engine can increase gas mileage? I automatically assume installing a K&N filter is a start, but what else?

05 Access Cab V6 TRD pkg#2
    California 87 Octane
    1000 miles
    getting 18 mpg avg
  • naturalhighnaturalhigh Member Posts: 8
    I have 05 Tacoma DC 4X4 V6 OGpkg 6spd manuel with 11,500mile and have not seen anything better than 16.75mpg. :cry: I live in Houston, TX so terrain is flat. I do mostly mix driving with a 20mile commute. I run the truck at 2500-3000rpms roughly 75-80mph. Does this sound about right? I know I need to slow down but just want to see if this is the price that I’m paying for running her that high..
  • bonestocktacbonestocktac Member Posts: 5
    You are doing better than me! I get 14 mpg in my V-6 access cab. Bone stock, no mods yet. Cold air intake and gibson cat back on the way. The thing that kills me is that in my old '85 blazer with a built 383 stroker I got twelve. I think the VVT-I engine really wastes fuel near redline. I don't shift untill 5000, and cruise at around 85-90mph and 3200 rpm or so- Lead foot costs me!
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    If you are shifting at 5K, you won't have to worry about mileage in that truck for long anyway. I think we all need to move to North Dakota (or move back in my case) because sounds like they have better quality gas there. I have about 2500 miles on my 05 DC V6 6-speed manual 4X4. Been on 2 trips to Portland (120+ each way). Got 18.7 MPG on the first trip and 18.81 on the second. The rest of the miles are on and off the freeway in a 15 mile radius of home. Have averaged 18.1 MPG including all miles. Was told my Tundra would get better mileage as it aged, but at 60K it had not gained 1MPG. Stuck at 15. Not betting on an increase, but mileage was not what sold me. Quality is.
  • bonestocktacbonestocktac Member Posts: 5
    I agree about the gas being different around the states. Ethonal is evil man. They love to put it in the winter mixes, but the thing about ethonal is that it requires twice as much volume to get the same amount of energy as dino juice. If it wasn't so expensive ($6.50 a gallon) I would run race fuel instead of pump all the time. The oxygenation level of race quality fuels eliminates spark knock, and even the "lower" 100 octane race fuels can be run in high compression engines with outstanding performance. I run nothing but 100 in my 12:1 dirtbike, huge difference from pump. As far as spiking the R's to five before shifting, I am itching to tear my 1GR-FE apart as soon as aftermarket parts are available, so I don't really care if my bearings don't last 300,000 miles. In a few years it will have a small block 350 in it anyway. Probably get way better gas mileage too!
  • dockeendockeen Member Posts: 68
    I have a 2005 Tacoma double cab 4x4 with automatic and the towing package. I just crossed 1000 miles on the truck.

Because of issues with gas after Katrina, I went for a while where I kept filling up at 3/4 of a tank - not good for decent measurements.

Anyway, this last tank I let it go to about 1/4 tank, right at 14 gallons, and went 308 miles - so about 22 MPG.

Driving was probably 70% city - highway 98 can get bumper to bumper pretty easy. I doubt I went over 65 mph the whole tank, used a lot of air conditioning - I live in Florida.

Wayne

p.s. How linear have folks found their gas guages to be, i.e. are 3/4,1/2 and 1/4 reasonable?
  • icewolf1icewolf1 Member Posts: 2
    People who know! Hey guys, and Gals, I don't want to be pollitically incorrect!
    I have not had a Toyota since 1985. At which time I owned a standard cab,Hi lux,4X4, 5 spd,2.4 L, 4cyl...it was the most reliable, fuel efficient thing on the road, and off the road she was unstoppable...
    Now many years, and several big gas guzzlers since...I find my self looking at a Tacoma.
    Now for the question, in all honesty what kind of MPG can I hope to see if I buy the following truck? it is a 01, extra cab, 4wd,5spd,3.4L/V6, currently it has 33" tires. If you have tried that size I am interested in the MPG their also. Thanks
  • icewolf1icewolf1 Member Posts: 2
    Which engine and tranny do you have in your Tacoma?
  • ruskastudruskastud Member Posts: 34
    I've seen good and bad things on here about Ethenol and also the need to run high octane fuel..

Here's my set up: '05 Access Cab, V6, 6 speed manual, TRD-Off Road, 4x4.

I've been running 89 octane fuel that has 10% Ethenol. Getting around 18MPG.

What's everyones opinion on the Ethenol, higher octane with ethenol, and the need for higher octane at all???
  • bjw1bjw1 Member Posts: 152
    where i live they put 10% ethenol in gas, put i dont understand all the hype about it because i heard it more expensive than regular gas but healthy for environment, but i get a constant 18.5-19mpg in city(non heavy foot).
    "Which engine and tranny do you have in your Tacoma?"

Sorry, 4 liter V6 hooked to an automatic transmission. My wife insisted on the automatic - which is ironic as she is the one that taught me to drive a manual many years ago.

Wayne
  • tacoman05tacoman05 Member Posts: 37
    I've been averaging 16.5 mpg in my '05 Prerunner V6 auto since the first tank, and have been very disappointed in reading that everyone else seems to do so much better. :( I drive about 50-50 city/highway and don't have a lead foot at all.

Anyway, I just got home from filling up and my mileage jumped to 18.5 mpg. I haven't done anything different at all, basically just to work and back and around town here and there on my days off. I don't understand it, but I like it! Hopefully it will stay that way. :)
    My driving is a mix of driving, some heavy traffic, some city, some limited "highway".

I seldom have it over 2000 RPM, and my first few tanks have been premium gas. (Unless we are going through a gas crisis, in which case it gets what it gets).

When I can use cruise control, I do.

I do not yet have a camper shell on it, though I plan on getting one.

So far, it has been in 4WD only a couple of times, until Rita, it has been dry for several weeks.

Temperature has been routinely in the 90's here (I live in Florida)

The tires are stock.

Wayne
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    "Anyway, I just got home from filling up and my mileage jumped to 18.5 mpg. I haven't done anything different at all, basically just to work and back and around town here and there on my days off. I don't understand it, but I like it! Hopefully it will stay that way. "

My mileage also jumped, but I think I know why.

Since Katrina, some states have temporarily stopped selling custom blended gas. Those us in states that use boutique blended gas are actually getting REAL gas now.

I think our mileage will drop when things get back on track.

This is why I always suggest to posters to include their state when posting mileage numbers, as it does matter.
    "Since Katrina, some states have temporarily stopped selling custom blended gas. Those us in states that use boutique blended gas are actually getting REAL gas now."

Thats fascinating! Thanks very much for the insight!

Wayne
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    I have a question for those of you that have an 05 Taco Double Cab V6 4x2...
    What does the owners manuel say exactly in regards to the octane needed in the truck...I have heard premium to get the full power out of the motor....or you can use 89 but may loose some kick....if anyone can write exactly what it says in the owners manuel then there will be no more questions...and I can let my buddy know who is looking to buy an 06 taco...
    Thanks....
  • goofballgoofball Member Posts: 20
    Manual states Minimum 87 Octane Required, 91 Octane Recommended. I will post a shot of the exact page later tonight. I've been meaning to do this for the Frontier versus Tacoma thread anyway, along with a picture of someone beating a dead horse with a stick...
    Click for larger image.

These are the three pages I found in a quick search that specifically state the octane rating requirements for the 1GR-FE V6 engine that is one of the two '05+ model powerplant options for the Tacoma. The other listed engine, the 2TR-FE is the I4 model.
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    outstanding post!!!
    Thanks allot......I assume you have an 05 Taco DC correct?
    I guess my next question would be.....has anybody done any comparisons as to performance and MPG differences in using 87 & 91 octane?
    I'm getting ready to retire from the Military and move back to South Dakota and am looking into getting a 06 Taco DC.....it's snow country up there....I know there is only a few of us South Dakotan's around and would love to hear from anybody up in that neck of the woods...been 22 years since I lived there...wow!!! how time flies when your having fun!!!
    Thanks in advance to all that respond!!!!
    '05 Access Cab V6 6 Speed Manual 4x4. I've been playing around with a mileage calculator spreadsheet I made and I am currently getting ~16MPG with 90% city driving (2400mi on the odo now). The last all highway trip I made was when the truck had less than 1000mi on the odo (had to go show her off to my dad 400 miles away...) and I maxed at 18.1MPG for a couple of tanks. Highway has probably gone up a bit now that she is more broken in, I know that city has. I was only getting ~14MPG city for the first 1500 or so miles. I have been tracking it and octane rating has made an extremely small difference in mileage, if any (small changes could just be how much I put my foot into it during that tank), over the last 3 months. If this behaves anything like any of the other Toyotas that I have seen or owned I expect the MPG numbers to continue to climb as the drive train breaks in even more.
  • dew60dew60 Member Posts: 1
    This includes myself - No one seems to be satisfied with their MPG in their Toy Tacoma. The question is WHAT CAN WE DO TO IMPROVE THE MPG of our V6 Tacoma?
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    drop it down too 2000rpms and you will se close to 20mpgs,that what did in my Nissan, its not to bad once you get used to driving slow,or at least till gas comes down,its now $2.80 in NEW JERSEY.

goodluck
    This tank - I went 280 miles on 12.6 gallons of premium. 22.2 MPG.

2005 V6 DC, Tow Package, Dunlops, Warm temps, air conditioning.

I seldom peak much over 2000 RPM - in town I get in a groove of going about 40 at about 1000 RPM.

I have about 1600 miles on it.

Wayne
    Make sure your tires are aired up. I run my tires at 33 PSI. Low PSI will really kill your MPG.

And a good wax job can make your truck move through the air a little easier. Don't forget to wax the windows too.
    On my Double Cab V6 4x4, I drove a 2800 mile road trip. I tried all different octanes. No difference in power, sound, or MPG, so now I only use low octane. I got up to 22 MPG per tank. 400 miles out of a tank.

By the way, once the low fuel light came on I drove another 50 miles and still had 1.5 gallons in the tank.
    When I filled up, our local station only had 87 octane - so this tank I just started on is a mix of premium and 87.

Wayne