Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Aluminum Jaguars (XKR) - What do you think?

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Enjoyed reading. I have several clients who drive the XJ. Most of them love their Jags. A few of them don't like their new XJs quite as much as their old ones, admitting they are a whole different cat, but I really love the improvements, and I like how the new one handles, drives and feels. My only concern was that one thing about the pillar breaks. So keep informing please, I'll keep watching and reading..... I'm still playing poker with my client who wants to sell me his 04 that he doesn' t like. I have offered him $40,000, and he's considering it.
  • xkssxkss Posts: 722
    that one XJ owner still hasn't responded or said if his XJ was damaged before he took delivery of it.
    However, I wonder if a dealer would disclose damage prior to delivery. Nevertheless, it seems like an isolated case.
    I think the new aluminum Jaguar XK will be shown this September at the Frankfurt auto show.
    Jaguar's press release said that the 2006 XJ will have "uprated brakes." It didn't say which models or how "uprated" they are.
    As I said earlier, the next XK will need a more blunt front bumper to comply with new European pedestrian safety regulations.

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    In typical Jaguar style the car looks good, but after seeing more pics I don't like the front grille opening.

M
    It is a concept car.

...just to clear any potential confusion.
    Jaguar should race the next XK or support a private entry in sports car racing to liven things up.
  • gshocksvgshocksv Posts: 68
    I am not sure if anyone has metioned, the same Designer also designed the Aston Martin DB9, so the new XK shares a bit of DNA with the Aston (same parent company too).

The new XK sure is a hot car, my Jag dealer actually already has a poster of the XK since March of this year. I would love to test drive the car, I'll probably consider buying one used a few years later, depends on how I like the new restyled S-Type.
    Ian Callum styled the Aston Martin DB7 and started work on the DB9 while Henrik Fisker (who styled the BMW Z8) finished the DB9. Henrik Fisker worked for Aston Martin from 2001 until December of last year. Fisker now has a new car company. Ian Callum styled the Aston Martin Vanquish.

The 2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage has a 4.3 liter 380 hp V-8. It uses a Jaguar 4.2 liter V-8, but the cylinder block, cylinder heads, crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons, camshafts, inlet and exhaust manifolds, lubrication system and engine management are all unique to the 4.3 V-8 used in the new Aston. It also has dry-sump lubrication.

Jaguar's V-8 first came out with 4.0 liters in the 1997 XK8. It was heavily revised a couple years ago (now with 4.2 liters).

Your dealer likely has a picture of the Jaguar Advanced Lightweight Coupe which was shown in January, 2005 at the Detroit auto show.
  • gshocksvgshocksv Posts: 68
    Yes, they called it the "Advanced Lightweight Coupe", but I think everyone knew it was the next XK.

I like the new XK for the fact that it's heavily restyled and is certainly refreshing (I love the old one too, but after 7 or 8 years, it's about time to change). They should have done the same for the XJ. The restyled XJ wasn't revolutionary, heck, it wasn't even evolutionary. A lot of time I still cannot distinguish the restyled XJ and the previous generation XJ, and I think I've done my share of researches on Jags. I bet most people don't even know that the XJ was even restyled, that's probably one of the reasons it's not selling as well as it should have. It's latest reliability rating has exceeded its peers, yet it depreciates like a rock. Car and Driver had a long term XJ, and they felt it was shamful that the car depreciated so much considering how reliable and technological advanced it was.

BMW had a mid-life restyle on its 7 series, maybe XJ needs to do the same.
    The XJ needs a new front bumper. Perhaps something like the 2005 S-Type R's bumper would work well.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I wonder what they could do to fix that though. The basic shape I don't think can be altered because afterall the new car had to grow for more passenger space etc. I don't think they can re-capture the lean and feline look of the previous XJ, the look so many people seem to want back. I can tell the new from the old, but only after a careful look, so I'm sure most people who aren't into cars as much can't tell the difference.

I hope they break out with a stunning, yet new and good looking design for the next S-Type. I just don't see how the XJ can be changed enough to give it a new look. I don't think a BMW like face-lift will do the trick. It needs some new curves or character lines or something.

M
    autoweek.com said yesterday that the 2008 S-Type will have an aluminum body.

The 2005 Jaguar Super V8, the XJ flagship, weighs over 800 pounds less than a BMW 760Li.

Klaus Graf won today's race at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin. Graf also won the the Rookie-of-the-Year title.

Klaus Graf

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,394
    some of those new designs look good in certain photos and not so good in others.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the new pedestrian standars, designers are finding ways to work within them, photos of the new Civic which complies show a pretty sleek nose.

I hope the production XK8 loses the trim around the scoops and that the production S-type has cleaner looking headlights.
This discussion has been closed.