Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo V70/XC70: Problems & Solutions

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,860
edited March 20 in Volvo
I thought we had one, but since we don't, I'm going to rename this topic to make it our general V70 "problems & solutions" topic.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• is it ok to remove the driveshaft and drive a v70 xc as front wheel drive only?
  • I am trying to remove the CC sensor from my V70 wagon. I have been told I can access it by removing the radio. I have tried this but I still cannot get the sensor out. Does anyone have any idea on how to access and remove the CC sensor.
  • Hum ! I own a new XC 70 3000 mi. and found a vibration problem i got it out of the dealer. It's like the wheels were square at 40 to 60 miles per hour the car is vibrating without any awkward feeling on the steering wheel.
    I had the wheels balance, we change the tire the wheels and nothing seems to correct the problem. The dealer told me that it might be a drive shaft problem and is planning to change it in two weeks... hope it will correct the problem ...
  • rcb3rcb3 Posts: 1
    Having a somewhat similar problem with my 2001 V70XC (125,000 miles). The dealer is driving it around to see what's up. Preliminary diagnosis is torque converter !!!$$$!!!. Out of warranty. Please let us know your final resolution.
  • Heloo How can I activate alarm signal in my car? I have 1998 year car.
    In book i can read about it but i don't understand in german!
  • Hi:
    I bought a 2006 V70 through the overseas delivery program, and have had problems with the tire pressure warning system light coming on for no reason within the first few hundred miles of picking up the car at the factory. I took it to a dealer in Germany and they thought that there was a defective sensor on the front passenger tire. They did not have the part needed to fix the defect, so I decided to wait and take the car to my local dealer upon return to the US. Before I had a chance to do so, my wife drove the car through a car wash, and the vehicle stalled. We had it towed to the dealership, and they found a crimped wire that had shorted out the circuits for the fuel pump and the tire pressure warning light (so much for the defective sensor). It was pure coincidence that the car stalled at a car wash. It could have happened at a busy intersection or on a highway, causing a major accident. I have to say that I'm disturbed and disappointed with this happening to a Volvo. This incident has left me with less confidence that these are the safest vehicles on the road. Just wanted to pass this on in case anybody else out there is experiencing a similar problem with warning lights coming on for no apparent reason. You may want to have your car looked over for any crimped wires that could affect the fuel pump circuit.
    I also noted that the buttons on the radio and below the radio (i.e. the a/c controls, child locks, etc) get very hot on long trips. It ia actually at times painful to the touch. I mentioned this to my local dealer, and they were essentially unable to reproduce the problem. They tested the car and stated that the buttons do not get any hotter than on any other V70. Does anyone in this forum have a similar experience??
    Thanks, Thomas
  • I have a 2001 XC and it's always getting dinged on the doors. The doors seem to have a design flaw that makes the door panel just under the window stick out further than the side (Protection?) molding itself.

Has anyone else had this problem? I have not read of it here, yet all the CX (after 2001) I have looked at have had many dents on their doors just under the windows.

Thanks, CK :sick:
  • I have a '02 XC70 wtih 43K that has an odd vibration that you feel when pressing on the accelerator. Our local dealership has chalked it up to 'just the feel of your car' but I am not convinced and am concerned it may be an indicator of something serious (read: costly). Has anyone else run into something similar? I have heard that engine mounts wear early on these vehicles.
  • I have a 2001 V70 and recently I have noticed a "clunk" noise when I pull away from a standstill. It sounds like it is coming from the front left of the car and part of the driveshaft or other. It only occurs when pulling away or applying the accelerator after coasting for a while. Anyone had this one before, any thoughts? Taking it in to the mechanic, but thought I would run it by the board first. Thanks.
  • Sounds like it could be a Constant Velocity joint or U-joint. Look under the left front wheel (you may have to put it on a jack stand/ramp, but maybe not if you turn the wheel all the way to the right before shutting it off). Look for the boots on either end of the drive shaft, and inspect them for tears or leakage, and check the joints for play.

For that matter, I recommend checking the boots for damage regularly - every time you change the oil at least. Once the boot gets damaged, the lubricating grease gets out and gunk gets in, which will lead quickly to joint failure.

Not a terribly complicated DIY job on most FWD cars (never tried it on a Volvo) - it's all mechanical with no computer stuff to mess with - but can be intimidating as a first major repair.

-- Oops - before you do any of this, check the obvious stuff, starting with Tranny fluid levels and checking for leaks.
  • I have the same issue with a 2001 V70 T5. HAve taken it to 2 different dealers and an independent shop and all find nothing. Watch out for the ETM failure! I just had mine replaced after a fun highway failure and it is about $1000 job. It is a known issue with this car and your dealer should help with the part cost if they are any good. Also there is an open recall on the cooling fan untit that I was not notified about but the dealer performed at last sevice
  • Looking to install a hitch and trailer lights on my 2005 XC70. Has anyone out there did this. If so is it difficult and are there any pitfalls. I know I'll need one the adapters to power the lights from the battery. Since the battery and trailer fuses are in the rear this should ease the task.
  • I have a 2004 volvo wagon XC70 and have never gotten better than 17 miles to the gallon. When I called SMart Motors here in Madison, Wisconsin they suggested that I use a different gas station. Since I go to a different one every time, and use only premium gas, that was not very helpful. I would not buy this car again. :(
  • I have a 2001 Volvo Cross-country with 65,000 miles. These items have quit working: back door locks,rear door locks, tail gate wiper and fuel door opener. I have replaced appropriate fuses but none are blown nor do new ones fix the problem. The closest dealer is 250 mi and they saw to pry the fuel door open with a screw driver. Does anyone have any less drastic solutions?
  • I have a 2004 XC70 with 34,000 miles and an intermittent knocking sound in the drivetrain. After driving the car for about a thousand miles with this noise, a vibration has also developed. The Volvo dealer's mechanics say there's nothing wrong with the car.

Today, an independent mechanic took it for a 2 minute test drive, and diagnosed it as having either a bad U-Joint or a bearing going bad in the rear differential. But, because the car is still under warranty I'm trying to get Volvo to fix it.

I dropped the car off at the dealer and told them to call me when it's fixed.

This car has had more than it's share of problems in addition to the driveline noise / vibration.

It has the Bi-Xenon high intensity headlamps, and both headlamp assemblies had to be replaced (under warranty) when the high temperatures of the bulbs cooked the connectors.

The power steering reservoir had to be replaced after it cracked and leaked fluid all over the engine compartment.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had similar problems.
  • 98 V70 XC, 139k, mileage has dropped from around 20 to 17. Using regular 87 octane gas! Should I use higher? I also know other brands of cars has all kinds of funky sensors and when goes out of whack the mileage drops a lot because it's tied into the emission sensors. Any suggestions accepted. I just recently bought the car, love it accept the mileage is a killer. :surprise: Can you use an additive for the gas like the Lucas gas treatment, I have had great luck with this product on other brand cars!
  • A few weeks ago, I lost one of my 2003 Volvo XC70's remote fobs. I understand that it will cost me about $165 to replace it at my dealership (and I must as my lease is up soon). I can buy a used one on ebay for under $25 but must get it programmed. Is this something I can do myself? If not, do you have any idea what my dealership might charge to do this? Will they even do it with one that did not come with the car?

All help will be GREATLY appreciated!
  • I have, what sounds like, a shock or engine mount on a 99 XC70 that sounds like to pieces of metal hitting together. The mechanics have tried twice to isolate the noise to no avail. Has anyone had a noise like this? It is particularly bad when going slowly around left turns and is much more pronounced when going slower in general.
  • jefferjeffer Posts: 31
    The Volvo P&S and there are only 40 posts. Volvo - not known for it's reliability or it's customer relations. Don't get me wrong, the Volvo XC70 has many of the features I'm looking for but I have always had strong reservations based on high incidents of problems in the past. I was hoping to see whether those problems have decreased or not. But with only 40 posts I'm affraid my conclusion is that nobody is buying them any more, therefore a lower reporting of problems (ie - fewer owners, fewer problems)

Anyone care to comment.
    tx
    jeffer
  • stmssstmss Posts: 206
    Everyone is out enjoying their Volvo ;)

Check the board here with the most posts - V70 Wagon Experience - not this one.
  • crissmancrissman Posts: 145
    Minor bummer. Filled up the tank on my wife's new V70 for the first time last night. Low fuel light had been on for maybe ten miles and I got 17 gal. into the tank. That agreed with the manual (1.8 gal. remain when light comes on). I was happy. Then I start it up and the guage only goes up to about one third tank and stops. Checked it a couple more times last night, bounced the bumper, rocked it side to side, and still no joy. Has anyone had this happen, or have some theories? I haven't talked to my wife yet since this morning, so it may have cured itself. If it has I think we won't let the tank get so low again.
    Well, the fuel guage has healed itself, at least temporarily. It still is rather curious. Can't wait to see if it does it again at the next fill-up. By the way, the "miles to empty" reading in the information panel also increased as the guage reading went up.
    Don't have a problem with it, yet, but I'm concerned for the potential of it happening. Is there a manual release for the fuel door on the 2005 V70? I've looked behind the access hatch for rear bulb changing and didn't see anything obvious, at least without using an inspection mirror. I'd hate to learn it didn't work when the tank was really low, and, of course, that's exactly when it would happen. Thanks for your expert assistance.
    Found out last night that it is possible to manually release the fuel door. Just feel around behind the foam covering the mechanism until you locate the cylindrical plunger/latch on the left side of the door. I was able to gently retract it toward the back of the car. It moved easily with very little resistance. Didn't need to remove anything, just open the bulb changing hatch. I assume it will relock when my wife drives off this morning.
  • ebljeblj Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 1998 V70 AWD wagon for sale.
    I have never owned a volvo.
    Any thoughts , suggestions, cautions for this year & model.
    What kind of milage can I expect?
    Any particular trouble spots?
    Any help greatly appreciated!...Eric
  • bettebette Posts: 3
    I bought it new in June 05, have 12K miles on it and so far no problems. I bought when Volvo had $8K rebate, got $9K off total msrp and four 7,500 mile services free. Traded 03 Infiniti I35 with 54K miles. Cars have different missions, but all things considered the Volvo seems to be a better car, especially at price paid.
  • dewetdewet Posts: 2
    I have searched for off road tests on the XC70 to no avail. Is this beacuse it is not regarded as a 4x4? I have just bought a 2001 XC70 and would like to know how capable it is off road - Shall I stick to gravel or can i take on some loose sand as well. Would appreciate it if anyone can tell me where to find off-road tests or just give me their own experiences off-road
  • After 20 days without a brand new '06 xc70 in the first three months I can understand your reservations. If time clocks were available I would revert to pre signing and avoid Volvo altogether. Constant vibration 85KM and 125KM
    3 wheels rebalanced, one drive shaft replaced, vibration continues and is said to be "the inherent imbalance of a 5 cylinder engine" ?? Tires anyone?
    Also 2 trips to first replace mid vehicle exhaust bracket and return to do it properly - as very loud squeele starts when driving in moderate slush. Newmarket Ontario
  • Any resolution to this problem - you can share?
    Speed at which occurs, tires etc.?
This discussion has been closed.