Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2004+)

st_pust_pu Posts: 74
edited March 14 in Toyota

Comments

• st_pust_pu Posts: 74
    This discussion is for everyone who would like to describe Toyota Sienna 2004 problems. In case of accident with injuries, car detail breakdown or flaw, any other serious problem with your car, please go to NHTSA address http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ and fill complaint form. This way NHTSA will request answer from manufacturer. And makers will fix problems soon, and increase quality of Toyota Sienna 2004+.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,927
    It's pretty new for any major problems to show up, plus we have the Sienna Owners: Problems & Solutions discussion and the Toyota Sienna Problems one. How about we try to keep those going instead of confusing folks with yet another?

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• canuck13canuck13 Posts: 73
    I'd really like you to keep this open as a separate discussion. I have no interest/patience in trying to wade through a discussion that includes previous years models. I want to be able to go directly to a 2004+ discussion on problems. I also don't agree that it is too early to have major problems. I had my transmission replaced 3 weeks ago. What could be more major than that!!?? I also had lesser problems with the AM radio (didn't work at all) and with the power moon roof (lost its memory).
  • richb9richb9 Posts: 4
    My van didn't last 24 hours before needing a new transmission. According to the dealer, the solenoid wasn't working properly causing the torque convertor to burn up. They replaced the tranny with a new one they had to pull off the factory line. I am supposed to get it tomorrow. I will try to let everyone know the results.
    Since the 2004 is a major redesign, I feel that it is appropriate to have a separate forum for this vehicle.
    Ouch, what's with all these problems right out of the gate! That's a bummer with a brand new rig, especially a tranny dying.

I guess it happens, but not much fun if it's yours.

Steve, Host

• sbrandonsbrandon Posts: 24
    Don't suppose the torque converters were the same as the ones that caused the problems in the pre-2004 models (2000?).
  • bobbya2bobbya2 Posts: 35
    Hey Rich
    Did they just fixed your Transmission or Gave You a completely newer Van. If not then I think your dealer did not Inform you that you are entitled to a New Van under ARBITRATION PROGRAM.

Look in the Vehicle Catalog for details of Arbitration Program. If not contact your state's Attorney General Office.
    You don't need a lawyer at a Arbitration Hearing usually held in one of city's municipal building.
    I was going to Order mine on Friday, but as per
       Sienna.org website
     there are 3 people so far complained about serious TRANSMISSION problem.
    As per their description of problem it is INDEED
    transmission problem.
    I HAVE 4 vehicles with Transmission Problems:
    1989 caravan, 1990 Honda Accord, Ford Windstar'95, 1993 Saturn SL2 .
    NO DEALER will admit problem and just say
    "Oh nothing is wrong, this is just NORMAL like they always say for any other problem.
    So in exchange what I do is NEVER BUY THEIR PRODUCT.
    I am disappointed at Import Mfrs. at using nowadays Engines and transmissions made here and not in JAPAN.
    Sorry friends, I am not against USA but I am sure we all know by now that JAPAN built is better and trouble-free.
    This is why we have a Forum like this and also why we all want TOYOTA .

v
  • montobahnmontobahn Posts: 11
    I agree with canuk13, it was too difficult and tedious searching for problems with the 04's in threads of older models. That said, I have been lucky and only experienced minor annoyances. My interior lights will not shut off if one of the kids leaves the door ajar, and not having memory for the driver seat is a problem for us (or maybe more of an annoyance and oversight).
  • kgnw1kgnw1 Posts: 94
    Email me and I'll give you the link.
  • rdballerrdballer Posts: 16
    I've had my XLE one week now and I've run into a "problem". We live in the foothills east of Sacramento. When we drive the van up the hills on the freeway (5 to 10 miles) and then pull up to our house, there's a very annoying noise coming from the lower back engine area/exhaust system area. It seems to go away after allowing the van to sit (running) for a couple of minutes. I've also noticed a "click/pop" in the steering wheel when turning the wheels from left to right (on rare occasions). I'm hoping that these are not being seen by others, but I thought I would post here to see if anyone else has experienced similar issues.
    Sorry it has been so long since I updated but it has taken this long to get everything ironed out with the dealer. They did offer to get me another van but I figured that would take months to get so I pushed them for an extended warranty. They gave me a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty.

So, now that we are done with that the vehicle has been great overall. I love the way it drives.

One minor problem is that we got the drop hitch receiver and it is VERY low to the ground. It pretty much scrapes the ground on my driveway even though there is only a slight incline every time I go in or out.

One other minor thing which may be a design flaw. When the window is down on the sliding door it will not lock into place. It's ok on flat ground but almost decapitated my wife the other day.
  • tmurphx5tmurphx5 Posts: 14
    I found the same problem with the sliding doors not locking However when I checked the manual, I find that it is supposed to be a safety feature so that the kids cant get decapated if they have their head out the window and someone opens it, especially if they are power doors.

So I guess it's a trade off on safety, it's hard to know which is the biggest safety hazard.
  • bakelly11bakelly11 Posts: 64
    I have an LE #7. Do the headlights shut off if you leave them on? Is there a beep or anything if you leave them on? The book says they shut off, but it doesn't happen.

It's hard to tell from the manual what things are standard in the various vans. They don't tell you what features are optional on each model. Very confusing writing.
  • george96george96 Posts: 11
    Are the scrapes occurring without something in the receiver? What happens when you load the van with something like a bike rack? Our van is due in this week and we ordered the hitch receiver as well. I am wondering if it was a mistake...
  • beaghibeaghi Posts: 34
    I got my Sienna Firday afternoon and installed the hitch the same day. Yes it is very low. I measured 7 inches from the ground. The one I have is made by the company "HiddenHitch". It is a 5000lbs. I wish I could have bought a smaller 3500lbs but it just does not exist. It is low but I think that I can live with it...no other choice anyway.
  • george96george96 Posts: 11
    Has anyone seen a checklist that a consumer could use when picking up their Sienna from the dealership. For starters, I now know that I need to see if the headlights shut off after 30 seconds. Anything else?
  • kgnw1kgnw1 Posts: 94
    Send me an email and I'll send you a link to a delivery checklist I've created for the 04 Sienna.
    This one was created for the Odyssey, but it works pretty good for any car:

billg7 "Honda Odyssey" Feb 8, 2001 7:27pm

Steve, Host

Check that the AM radio works - mine didn't. Check that the sunroof closes properly. After I had my transmission replaced, they forgot to "normalize" the sunroof and it didn't close properly (it lost its memory). Get the door locks programmed to lock when you take it out of park and unlock when you put it into park. This isn't the default, but it works much better this way.
  • canuck13, do the door locks have to be programmed by the dealer? I've got a '98 Intrigue that I can program the doorlocks by following the instructions on the manual. Do the Sienna manuals have these instructions???
    The door locks do not need to be programmed by the dealer. However, the instructions are not in the owner's manual. There is a nice glossy booklet that I found on another site the describes how to do it. It is a bit complicated to describe here. You have to close all doors, turn the ignition to the ON position. Then within 1 second after the ignition is turned on you push and hold the power door lock button from the driver seat (located on the driver armrest on the driver door) in the "lock" position for 5 seconds (plus or minus 1 second). This will cause the door locks to lock when you take the shift lever out of park. To have the doors unlock when you put it back into park, do the same procedure except push and hold the door lock button in the unlock position for 5 seconds(otherwise follow exactly the instructions above).
    Canuck13, thanks for the info. I also beleive that having park unlocking doors is better. Beside this procedure that you found, is there any other intersting programming procedure on that "other site". If yes, can you provide the address?
    Yes, there are other things you can change but this is the only one I tried. I don't think I'm allowed to post the other site address here.
  • bakelly11bakelly11 Posts: 64
    I can't believe how easy it was to change the locks. Thanks!!!
  • Thanks canuck13 for the info. I just got back from buying my XLE Desert Sand and am too tired to try it just yet.
    Like beaghi, I'd also like this link you spoke about! Could you email it to me at jeanannmata@hotmail.com

appreciatively,
    machinemata
  • budzy1budzy1 Posts: 1
    Can you also send me the internet link for further info on the Sienna? Thanks for the door locks description.

mbud@openheart.net
    If you mark your email address "public" in your profile, you'll (mostly) avoid becoming spam bait.

Steve, Host

Yes, I guest that you are right Steve. Can you edit my post and remove my email?

Thanks!
    Only you can edit your post and that's limited to the first 30 minutes after you post it. You can delete a post at any time however with the Delete button, and try again.

Steve, Host

This discussion has been closed.