Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2004+)

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    The fact that the 2001 AWD RX300 will always upshift upon closed throttle coastdown entry is in the Lexus repair/shop manual itself.

But I only discovered that after realizing that was what my RX300 was doing that resulted in a somewhat odd seat of the pants feeling at times.
  • linealinea Posts: 8
    My Van experience intermittent complete brake failure 3 times within 18,000 miles, one outside mechanic thinks it's due to ABS issue. The dealership unable to locate problem since its transient. Has anyone else experience similar problem or suggestings?
  • 2006 Le How do you remove the cross bars? I will never use the rack and want to take the cross bars off and store. Thank you
  • ohresohres Posts: 46
    I will see if my Sienna repair manual has similar info.
    Thanks.
  • loucapriloucapri Posts: 214
    so actually what happened? Did you mean the car will not response when you brake or it will fish tail when you step on it that make you believe the ABS is not working?
    can you losen the thumb screw on the side of the bar to get it out? I know that's how you move it forward and back but not sure you can actually take it out. But I guess it should.
    I notice my AWD sienna has a leak from the rear "gear box?"
    it's kind of a clear fluid.
    I used to own a AWD Town and country and I had the same problem. Not sure if it is common to AWD
    Thanks for response.
    The brakes totally fails, the pedal goes to the floor and it does not slow down, so I coast until I stop. However, when I release the brake pedal and then reapply the brake it works fine. The dealership is unable to finds error codes and brakes work fine when it is their hands. It has happen 3 times in 18,000 miles, I scared that the brakes will not work the next time I reapply the brakes.
    You should document all the complaint and concern you have with your local toyota dealer. In case of an accident, you can always prove that you did contact toyota and you did try to address the issue with them. You may able to SUE them. Hey, we are in America :-)
    Thanks for your response. I prefer not to be DEAD right regarding the failure of the ABS system. The reason I posted the problem was two fold: first see if other owners had similar problem and how they solved it: second to let other owners beware of the issue, if their brake petal goes to the floor, it might be the malfunction of ABS system so try releasing the brake and re-appling the brakes again.
  • This sounds like a problem that was previously posted so you should search back a bit.

I was badly injured by a defective hatch on my 2005. The dealership and local reps denied problems. I filed an incident report to nhtsa and engaged them in some dialog. As it turned out, Toyota had issued a technical service bulletin for the problem 1 year before my accident. I would encourage you to file an incident report as it may help keep the automakers honest and us safer.
    Thanks for your response. I was able to find that owners of Sienna 2004 had similar complaints, but no resolution was posted. Please other owners with intermittent ABS failure such that the brake pedals goes to the floor and you do not slow down, but when you reapply the brakes they work fine: let me know, since my dealership finds nothing wrong.
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 974
    You may have noticed that we're moving toward smaller, more focused discussions, and a number of those have already been created for this vehicle. Please go to the top level of the board here and look for an existing discussion that fits your question or issue. If you don't see a suitable topic, please feel free to create one by clicking "Add a Discussion". Here's a link: Toyota Sienna

Clicking "Track This Group" will make sure that you don't miss any new posts or discussions. When you come back the next time, just click on "Read New Posts" and you'll be able to click through all new posts and topics in this board.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• mtatechmtatech Posts: 4
    I just got back from my local Toyota dealer since I'm looking for a Sienna. The other day a salesperson called me about demo cars, so I stopped in.

I brought my data from Edmunds and my laptop. The salesperson said that they had a 2007 XLE Limited AWD demo and asked whether I was interested. I answered, "depends."

The car had 4,000 miles on it. While I was looking at the car I noticed a nine inch by one inch scrape (like a side-swipe) on the panel before the rear tire. I pointed it out to the saleman.

During the negotiation portion the salesman quoting MSRP and I said 'any Demo car with damage we don't talk discounts from MSRP, we talk discounts from invoice price.' We settled on $30,780 minus the current $1,500 rebate - which I thought was great.

However, once I returned to the dealer with the bank check I noticed the invoice said "FWD" not "AWD." Upon further inspection, I noticed it said "XLE" not "XLE Limited." I then checked the car itself and sure enough, it was an XLE with the #3 package not a Limited.

Essentially, the dealer was giving me the car for a few hundred off invoice cost, which may be an OK deal but not a great deal. The manager wouldn't go any lower. I voided the transaction.

Did I do the right thing?
  • mtatechmtatech Posts: 4
    I wanted to add that I don't think this was an intential 'bait and switch.' The saleman was new and I believe wasn't familiar with all the models.

However, the issue is if a car has 4,000 miles on it and has body work damage invoice price is still too high.
  • caravan2caravan2 Posts: 198
    I think you did the right thing. I'm not sure "XLE & FWD" could be mistaken for "XLE Limited and AWD", the back of Sienna has XLE Limited and AWD pasted.

I'm not sure about your area, but in most areas you should be able to get 2007 below invoice or at invoice.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Did I do the right thing?

Yes.

That this dealership tried to sell you a 6,000 mile 2007 "demo", with body damage at MSRP is laughable. ha ha ha. Run away!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I agree. 4000 miles means it's now a used car. That should put it at about 5-10% below invoice by itself.

The damage knocks another $800 (at least) off of that.

The dealer was DREAMING, no way it's worth that much. It's used and abused, literally. :sick:
  • If nobody bought the car, it would be even cheaper! All you sheep that jump on a $30k "deal" on a car that's not significantly better than a Chrysler minivan or Chevy Uplander, should have your heads examined!
This discussion has been closed.