Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2004+)

Comments

• Ohres:

I am interested to know if you have any resolution. I have a 2005 Sienna XLE AWD. At about 15,000 miles, I noted corrossion on all four wheels. The dealer claims they spoke to the zone representative, who told them if I purchase two rims at $904 plus tax, they will "give" me the other two. I am unwilling to do this on a van that was under 1 1/2 years old, went through only one winter, and cost over $35k. When I called the customer service line, they said they stand by the zone rep. I am going to continue to pursue, especially since I now see I am not alone. This is definitely a manufacturing defect in my mind - too little paint along the edge where the corrossion starts and then spreads outward. Now I know it is something Toyota has known about for two model years. It should be covered under the terms of the warranty. There are a couple of folks I have seen on the web where the dealer replaced all four of their rims. Don't know why they don't have a standard practice and desire to maintain customer loyalty. This is my first Toyota, and might be my last.
  • jqlijqli Posts: 3
    I recently bought 06 LE with pckg#2, without any options that dealer offered. Accordign to manual, there should be a theft-defer-system which will activate when the door is opened without key or remote entry. I tested mine and it didn't work. So I called the dealer, and I was told that my model does NOT have it, and I have to buy an alarm from them to have this feature. Is this true?
    thanks. :confuse:
  • This is brand new 06 Le Sienna with 4000 miles and I have problem with cruise control .When the cruise control is set On everything is working fine(its ok on flat road ,uphill) until I go downhill !!! The car speeds up!! The dealer checks the car and said everything is ok!! I told them ‘you people don’t now how cruise control work “!!! What to do??
  • I think that's normal. The cruise control adjust the gas NOT the brake. When going downhill, the car goes faster even without stepping on the gas pedal. It happens to all the cars I have/had.
    Highlander, camry, sienna, Element....
    Input anyone?
  • Absolutely right! Cruise doesn't control speed going downhill. Gravity does.
  • ohresohres Posts: 46
    visco2,

I did not follow up the issue yet even if the problem was informed to the Toyota service in April 2006. The Toyota service who was working on the problem supposed to get a call back from Toyota Tech Support, according to the invoice dated 4/18/06, but I did not receive any calls from either of them. Mine mostly have the bubbling or peeling at the boundaries of the inside holes (close to the outer rim). I will be concerned more if it peels off at the rim near the tire since it will eventually develop slow leak once the corrosion spread into the mating surface (I had the corrosion problem with my Town & Country after years of usage at about 70k miles). I also think that the corrosion problem at 20k miles is not acceptable. The wheel should be covered by Toyota's basic warranty since it is not a normal wear item that they exclude. It supposed to be a life time part. If I have to keep this vehicle for long and if Toyota does not provide a solution on this problem then I may have to clean and repaint the area to stop the spreading.
  • On the contrary, some vehicles have speed reduction with cruise control down hill. My '95 Caravan will down shift with cruise control going down hill to prevent gravity acceleration. Roy
  • I agree. I have driven any number if vehicles with cruise control and all but one (older) down shifted or decelerated to keep the speed as set.

The upper range sienna (Limited)with adaptive cruise control will also apply the brakes in an emergency situation such as when the driver is nodding off and a vehicle slows ahead of them.
  • That my point !!! My last car was 94 Plymouth Caravan and if i remember my tranny was down shifting going down hill !!!
    thank you all for discussion
  • I've got an '05 XLE. I definitely noticed it downshifting while driving in the Poconos in PA. I even asked a cousin who just got a V8 Toyota Sequoia and he said his downshifted going downhill as well.

Unfortunately, I don't remember if I was driving with the cruise on. I do know that I was using the brakes, so I would guess that would disengage the cruise. Maybe it's a combination of braking downhill with the cruise intially set that starts the downshifting?

Don't know what to tell you.
  • I newly purchased a 2006 Sienna LE, mileage is only 70 mi now. I am very satisfied with its performance and quietness during drive. However I found out one small issue - very often I fully stop my car at the traffic light, I will then hear a few very low clunking sounds (very similar to brake's grinding noise)from the back. Since I don't turn on Air conditioner, fan, and radio, and the car is fully stopped, it should be noise free at that moment I don't understand why there is such funny noise. Please kindly advise.
  • loucapriloucapri Posts: 214
    I notice all 3 head rests in 3rd row are hard to pull out.
    Especially after unfolding from the floor. There is no way a normal person can pull the head rest in and out.
    I am not sure if WD-40 will help?

just want to see if anyone has the same problem.
  • This is one of the many problems that the 2005 XLE Limited AWD I had for five weeks had when I made the Dealer eat the car or face a law suit. They denied that the head rests were difficult to move even when their own people could not move them without exerting extreme force. I believe this is a know safety problem to Toyota. The IIHS gave the post 2004 Sienna's a Poor rating (the lowest) in rear crash protection head rest performance. If you can't easily place the head rests at an appropriate height for the occupant it virtually guarantees an injury in the event of a rear crash of even the slowest speeds. I have been a lifetime fan of Toyota and am very dissapointed in their neglect. IIHS is showing the same results for the 2007. Does anyone know if Toyota plans on addressing the rear crash protection on these and other Toyota vehicles?

Thanks
    I agree with you 100%. If we can't easily place the head rests to a protective position, what safety can it provides?

All sienna owners should check their head rests because most of them might not use the 3rd row in order to notice the problem.
  • I have a 05 with an automatic sliding door. Every so often, it closes about 3/4 and re-opens. Is there an ovverride to close the door if it won't close on its own?
  • This is a potentially dangerous situation and should be brought to the dealer for repair. A 2005 should still be under warranty unless you have exceeded the mileage limit.

Best wishes
  • How can it be a dangerous situation?????
  • The automatic opening, sliding and latching mechanisms are all integrated here and even when the door is apparently sometimes closing automatically it may not be latching completely. Or stated differently; any failure of one automatic function may indicate other related function failures.

It is too precarious a situation to override indefinitely, or to trust to anyone other than the factory trained who have probably seen this in the course of their work. This is one of the very few times I would reccommed the dealer over a reputable independent repair facility.

If you have children or unwitting adults as passengers there could well be an unintentional opening of the door when least wanted.

Be safe.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Impossible to believe...

Ford has the answer.....!

From the new 2007 Ford Edge PR..

"The electronically shift controlled transmission also features a variable displacement pump, which matches the amount of fluid that gets pushed through the transmission to driver demand, making it more efficient."

At full lift-throttle all of the FWD Toyota/lexus vehicles begin an upshift just as the engine RPM drops to idle. With the engine at idle the upshift will exhaust/use most, or possibly all, of the pressurized ATF.

Now if you happen to re-apply foot pressure to the accelerator pedal just as the upshift begins the engine/transaxle ECU will "know" to delay the onset of engine until the low engine "idle" RPM can build enough ATF pressure to complete the corresponding downshift.

The most obvious answer would be to increase the volume of the fixed volume ATF pump so enough pressure/flow could be provided for two sequential QUICK shifts with the engine at idle. But then most of that added volume would be bypassed, disapated as heat, as the engine RPM rises above idle.

Ford's answer, apparently, is to have a variable displacement ATF pump so it can be switched to high volume when quick/SOLID shifting is required with the engine at idle. Makes me wonder if that allowed them to eliminate the ATF pressure bypass relief spring/valve also.

That would REALLY increase transaxle efficiency.

A second option would havre been to have an ATF pressure storage accumulator (like the ABS pumpmotor asembly). But putting one of those in an already "crowded" six-speed transaxle is probably out of the question.

Anyone know if any of the newer Toyota/Lexus transaxles have either? Absent one or the other the delay/hesitation issue will undoubtedly continue.
    wwest,

Thanks for the information. Having Mechanical Engineering background, I also was remotely suspecting such design issues as a possible cause of the hesitation problem but without solid understanding. I am wondering if you can provide the source of the information, particularly on the Toyota related information. I would like to get some more in-depth technical information if possible. Thanks for your help.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    The fact that the 2001 AWD RX300 will always upshift upon closed throttle coastdown entry is in the Lexus repair/shop manual itself.

But I only discovered that after realizing that was what my RX300 was doing that resulted in a somewhat odd seat of the pants feeling at times.
  • linealinea Posts: 8
    My Van experience intermittent complete brake failure 3 times within 18,000 miles, one outside mechanic thinks it's due to ABS issue. The dealership unable to locate problem since its transient. Has anyone else experience similar problem or suggestings?
  • 2006 Le How do you remove the cross bars? I will never use the rack and want to take the cross bars off and store. Thank you
    I will see if my Sienna repair manual has similar info.
    Thanks.
    so actually what happened? Did you mean the car will not response when you brake or it will fish tail when you step on it that make you believe the ABS is not working?
    can you losen the thumb screw on the side of the bar to get it out? I know that's how you move it forward and back but not sure you can actually take it out. But I guess it should.
    I notice my AWD sienna has a leak from the rear "gear box?"
    it's kind of a clear fluid.
    I used to own a AWD Town and country and I had the same problem. Not sure if it is common to AWD
    Thanks for response.
    The brakes totally fails, the pedal goes to the floor and it does not slow down, so I coast until I stop. However, when I release the brake pedal and then reapply the brake it works fine. The dealership is unable to finds error codes and brakes work fine when it is their hands. It has happen 3 times in 18,000 miles, I scared that the brakes will not work the next time I reapply the brakes.
    You should document all the complaint and concern you have with your local toyota dealer. In case of an accident, you can always prove that you did contact toyota and you did try to address the issue with them. You may able to SUE them. Hey, we are in America :-)
    Thanks for your response. I prefer not to be DEAD right regarding the failure of the ABS system. The reason I posted the problem was two fold: first see if other owners had similar problem and how they solved it: second to let other owners beware of the issue, if their brake petal goes to the floor, it might be the malfunction of ABS system so try releasing the brake and re-appling the brakes again.
This discussion has been closed.