Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang Convertible Top Problems

jimbo85jimbo85 Posts: 1
edited December 2013 in Ford
2006 Mustang convertible top opened while i was driving. I was pretty sure both locks were engaged.. Anyone hear of anything like this?
jimbo

Comments

• cccompsoncccompson Posts: 2,388
    If the top opened while driving then, by definition, the locks were not properly engaged.

I have one of these vehicles (and have had several other convertibles in the past). One must be VERY careful to lock the top down correctly as it's easy to think it's seated right when it is not.
  • Just bought 93 mustang lx convertible. My roof only opens about 6 inches and then stops. Is it a bad motor or something along those lines, any suggestions.
  • I have a 2000 Mustang Convertible and my top comes up really slow all of the sudden. Is there a fluid that needs to be replaced or something to be maintained for the top?
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Yes, get to the dealer. The top system is hydraulic. Check the trunk for a pool of fluid.

Mark.
  • Great. Thanks. Is this something you can put fluid in yourself or do you need to go to a dealer to fill it up? If its just topping off a fluid it sounds like it might be easy.
    I just recall seeing a trunk full of hydro fluid on a car.

Mark.
  • I have a 2005 conv. mustang. My doors, even though they "drop" a little to clear the roof, still catch the canvas. It actually wore down the corner of the passenger side and tore the top.
    When the air is on 'floor' it goes to defroster very strong. The dealer said it was normal, but now seeing how many people have this issue, I am thinking differently.
    The CD (shaker) does skip on some CDs I find it to be the ones that are burned.
    my driver side door handle doesn't go back all the way after I let it go.
    I have def. learned NOT to buy the first year of a new model. I hate to wait, but lesson learned. BTW A wise man learns from others mistakes. :confuse:
  • The window on my car drops about 1/8th of an inch to clear the convertable top. even though it does this, it catches the corner of the fabric. After a year of operations, it finally tore the corner of the material off. Am I the only one with this issue? I know it should still fall under factory warranty, but the dealership, OC WELCH in southern SC is trying not to replace it. What should I do?
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,671
    Raise heck with them and/or find a new dealer. The window is adjustable and this is absolutely a warranty issue.
  • I have a 2005 ford convertible in the first year the top had torn and the seams were coming unglued. I now have an issue with the frame of the convertible being broken and the dealer (Miller Ford in NJ) telling me it is out of warranty. needless to say $5000.00 to get it replaced. Anyone else have comments or ideas on this? anything would be appreciated.
    If you are out of warranty, you are out of luck...not withstanding same, check with a convertible top repair person. I know there is one in Moorestown NJ off of the Marne Hwy, just don't remember the name. He is in the yellow pages.

Mark
  • suzzsuzz Posts: 4
    I am looking at buying this car. Which model do you recommend and are there any disadvantages to this year? Should I wait for 2008? Thanks!!
    The cloth top beats the vinyl in appearance, also it better hold up to the folding of opening and closing. Plus its a little more flexible and can better handle the shrinkage that starts at 40 degree weather and gets worse as it gets colder

As for 2007, some improvements were made to the top to prevent the structure from causing wear in the material so its the best year yet. Also there are only 2 changes offered for 2008 HID head lamps as an option and "ambiant lighting" offered as an option.

2008 also has 2 new colors, Dark Candy Apple Red in lieu of Redfire and Highland Green.

mark.
    Mark
  • tlocktontlockton Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 convertible and have never had the top open while moving.
    My wife has a problem sometimes locking it .
    be sure it's locked properly and let me know if you have anymore proplems :)
  • 2fast4u22fast4u2 Posts: 1
    I also have a 2005 convertible with a broken frame. am having it repaired as I type. Hope it will not cost me $5000.00. The dealer said that it is a warrant item. How did yours turn out?
  • Does anyone know how tough it is to replace a top yourself? I have a 97 and the vinyl is starting to crack pretty bad along the fold lines. A local shop wants $700 to replace it. Where can I find a step-by-step on the procedure?
  • fury99fury99 Posts: 1
    I own a 1986 mustang lx, the hydraulic lines are old and brittle leaking, Does any body know of a free online or have a schematic for this system ? also where is the pump and reservoir located? I live in Hawaii and its a crime not being able to put the top down!
    Thanks
    The problem with doing it yourself is there is a significant amount of skill involved in getting it stretched to fit just right. I'd shop around for a few more quotes but leave it to the pros.
  • ponyluvponyluv Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1995 convertible and was curious if this car came with a boot for the top originally? If so anyone know where one can be purchased? I looked on Ebay didn't see any.
  • fdthirdfdthird Posts: 352
    I had an 88 that came with one and now a 2000 that also came with one. The 88 was a very simple all vinyl affair that folded up easily in th trunk while the 2000 came with a rigid boot that was a real pain in the [non-permissible content removed] to get on and to store in the car. I think I have had it on 3 or 4 times in the 8 summers I've owned the car.

I would assume that your 95 came with the rigid boot which I haven't seen a lot. You might want to look into a Ford toneau cover which I bought when the car was new and like a lot. It covers the back seat and the down top and folds up nicely to put in the trunk.
  • I'm curious where you got this info. I am looking for a new top for my '97, which has the stock sailcloth (vinyl) and is beginning to tear at the fold points. One of the sites I found sells both but said the wear is pretty much the same for either cloth or sailcloth tops. I'd like to check the site you got your info from because I like the cloth better too.
  • The 1995 convertible came with a rigid semi-folding boot and a boot cover to keep it in the trunk. It took up the majority of the trunk and I have used mine maybe four times due to the difficulty of putting it on and making it stay in place properly. I just ordered a replacement top and window due to my car being vandalized.

Anyone know of a good installer in San Antonio, Texas?
    He told me that the cloth has better flexible strength. The vinyl suffers more from the opening and the closing and the folding.

Mark.
  • Thanks for the link! That's a great step-by-step and the pictures are very helpful!
  • I love my mustang but the top only lasted 3 years and 6 months before the seal around the back glass came loose. Replaced the top yesterday our of warranty for $1560 with an after market Robbins top. Have talked to the service manager at the dealership where I purchased the car but so far just a comment that "first time I have seen this problem", "no call-back", "will call Ford and call you". Disappointed but still love to drive the car. The place that did the work said he has seen two others like this. One came from the dealership that never saw this before.
  • sargentrxsargentrx Posts: 4
    I have an '05 convertible and the metal parts of the top bent and bowed out making it impossible to raise or lower the top. I have 38K miles and the waranty is expired. I took it to an upholstery/top repair place and the guy looks at my car and pulls out a TSB from Ford dated Nov., 2005 addressing issues with tops on 05 and 06 convertibles. The repair guy says he has seen quite a few of these problems and I should "raise cane" with Ford. Ford is not budging. They say the car is out of warranty and I am out of luck. I look on here and see that I am not the only one with problems. I don't understand how Ford can sell a defective product and not replace the bad parts. I will not be buying any other Ford product in my future.
    The fact that it's a known problem means nothing. Warranties have a time limit for a reason. If Ford was rolling in cash I'm sure they'd fix things like this but they can't afford to go above and beyond right now. If you think most other mfrs would fix it for free you're mistaken.
  • I saw about twelve other people on this website with the very same problem. When I took my car to the repair shop, the tech pulled out the TSB and said Ford should pay for this. If Ford is not rolling in cash, it is their own mismanagement. Lots of people buy Fords. I don't think that spending millions on Super Bowl advertisement is the way to spend your money if you are having to lay off employees. The fact that Ford sold a car with a known problem to me is enough for me to say that I think I will try another manufacturer. I have always bought American made cars by American owned companies because I think it it still the right thing to do. Selling a product with a known defect is not the right thing to do. Thanks for your comments but your principals are not honorable.
    This has nothing to do with principles (or principals). If you consider a TSB to be "selling a car with a known problem" then every single car mfr is guilty.

When you buy a car (or toaster or any other appliance) you pay for a warranty (either implicitly or explicitly). Every car made will have something break at some point. The only question is whether it's covered by the warranty or not.

You could certainly get lifetime coverage for all problems. That would only add a few thousand dollars to the price of every new car.

Would it be nice for Ford to step up and cover these things? Absolutely. Does it make them bad for not doing it? Absolutely not. Would other mfrs cover such a repair right now? Highly doubtful.