Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang Convertible Top Problems

13»

Comments

• How bad was the cracking? I have the same problem on my 2010. Doesn't look too bad now, my mechanic and my local dealer both say it looks like normal wear and tear that would occur where the top folds. I'm trying to determine if I should pursure having the top replaced under warranty or not.
  • It was pretty bad. I would say a dozen cracks all along the piping above the windows. I had a Sebring convertible for 8 yrs with no cracking so I do not consider this normal, and in the end neither did Ford and I got a new top.
  • edujeduj Posts: 2
    The same EXACT thing happened to me this weekend here in Hawaii with my 2005 Mustang convertible. It is now at the dealer, and I await the news. What can be done?
  • edujeduj Posts: 2
    Same thing happened to me this weekend. edujjude@yahoo.com
  • I'm looking into purchasing a 05-08 GT Convertible, this concerns me. Wouldn't it be cheaper out of warranty to get a 3rd party top? Autotopsdirect has them for $559 with a 5 year warranty, has anyone found a good, reliable 3rd party manufacturer? Thanks!
  • The actual "top" (the top, pads and headliner) is not the problem....the metal components that make the top go up and down is where the problem lies. I've seen web sites out there that sell and warrant the top, but not the metal arms that make the top function. If Autotopsdirect sells the complete convertible top configuration and (most importantly) warrants the metal components as well, then that five-year warranty (especially at that price) sounds smart. If not, it's a waste of your time and money.
  • :) My 2005 Ford Mustang Convertible repair
    Hello , I own a 2005 Ford Mustang Convertible , My problem is that the mechanism that is on the drivers side top corner of the windshield frame snapped and is barely holding down the top when

closed , I would like to know if you know where I can get a replacement , and possibly look at a video , or read something that tells me how to replace it . .

Thanks for your time , and Help .

Please reply to me at ,
  • skyspyskyspy Posts: 3
    Your only recourse is to find a convertible top repair shop in your area. This won't be a cheap fix, either, so be aware and do some shopping around if you can. If it makes you feel any better (which it won't), even if you were still under warranty (and/or have the extended Premier warranty), Ford still won't cover it. 2005 Mustang owners got screwed, big time. This is a problem Ford was fully aware of back in 2005, yet they never recalled them and won't repair them.
  • THANK YOU , I WILL CHECK WITH MY HOMETOWN DEALER :)
  • wilcoxwilcox Posts: 581
    Does anyone have a favorite brand of cleaner and protectant for convertible tops.?.
    Namely those products which are specifically designed for cloth tops care.

There's one from Google search which seems to favor a product called - RaggTopp.

Are there any others you guys give merit to consideration?
  • Raggtopp is it.
    Your top material is made by the Haartz company http://www.haartz.com/en/Products/Convertible_Toppings/cleaning/cleaning_guide.a- sp.
    They make the material for almost all convertibles worldwide.
    They recommend Raggtopp only to clean and protect their materials.

Karl at aoksales.com
    edited February 2012
    When preparing my cloth top for protectant application I did these things.

1 Lightly vacuumed using a fine horse hair attachment. No plastic or harsh bristles necessary, Can use a horse hair shoe buffing brush which is acceptable...

2. Rolled top with a sticky lint roller to remove misc, including hair.

3. Used a little water (the universal solvent) to clean spots with a horse hair brush allowed it to dry.

4. Masked all windows and covered painted surfaces to keep spray blow-by off.

5. Mildly sprayed 1 coat of RaggTopp and let dry for at least recommended time.

6. Sprayed a moderate amount for 2nd coat of RaggTopp protectant an let it dry fully.

7. Tested areas to see how water beads.

8. Avoided linty rags or towels for drying. Could use blower easily while outside.

9. Remove and save masking materials for next time.

An ounce of prevention is usually worth a pound of cure. :D
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,622
    A reporter is looking to hear from new car buyers who considered buying a convertible within the last year but opted for something else. If you’d like to share your story, please email PR@edmunds.com no later than 4p.m. Pacific /7p.m. Eastern Thursday, March 15, 2012 with your daytime contact information.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• lindyslindys Posts: 1
    We purchased our 2010 Mustang convertible in April of 2010. About 6 weeks ago I noticed the cracking along the piping also. I would say it was very bad. Cracking and also flaking away, along about 60% of piping both sides of the car. We took it to the Ford dealership where we purchased it, they took pictures, many pictures and emailed the pictures to Ford. Ford ordered a new roof. We are just waiting for it to arrive and be installed.

Our mustang is a third car, and garage kept. It is rarely out in the weather. We live in the northeast and the car isn't driven from December - March. So this issue doesn't seem to be weather or maintenance related. That's probably why the roofs are replaced without an argument.
    Delarygirl, how is the new roof? No cracking on this one?
  • 08tang08tang Posts: 6
    So far it is OK; however, due to not owning a second car, I do drive it throughout the winter so, time will tell. I was not happy with the installation and because I had purchased the car used and not from the dealer, they did little after contracting it out. I personally had to take the car to the installers and then return it when I noticed buckling and sloppy workmanship. It does not fit as taut as the factory installation. I did send in a complaint to Ford.
  • My top looks beautiful and has no cracks in this new roof. Maroone Ford in Delray jobbed out the replacement and the install is perfect, just like original. I drive top down here in Florida from mid October until mid April and the top is up and down several times a day. Car is garaged when not in use.
  • The top material is vinyl and stretchable...when warm!
    The CLOSED top needs to sit under the hot sun which will allow it to stretch into correct fit. After one summer, the top will fit like a glove.
    If the installer fitted it loose when new, in a year, it would fit like a blanket on a pig.
    Convert tops should NEVER be raised or lowered in temperatures lower than 70 F. which allows the fabric enough elasticity to bend and fold without stress.
    This is what caused the piping to crack, Next would be the fabric behind the back window where the most severe fold happens.
  • Thanks for the info re: temp about raising and lowering the roof. The original roof fit perfectly. It was the replacement, which was loose and hasn't really tightened up, as per the original fit.
  • beestangbeestang Posts: 1
    I had just bought a 2012 Mustang convertable last August. The top has faded and has water spots all over it which I can't get them out regardless of what I use. I called the dealership several times and they have not gotten back to me. Any idea what I should use to get these waterspots off my top?
  • I purchased my car new and the piping on both the drivers and passenger side areas started to peel away after 6 months of owning the car. I took it to the dealer, whereby, they took pictures and replaced the roof no questions asked. I have since, however, had my roof replaced 2 times after that with problems with the rear defroster detaching from the back rear panel. So in 3 years of owning this car, I have had a new roof put on every year.
    edited December 2013
    According to an article recently published about 2015 Mustang convertible, rag tops in vinyl may no longer be offered. Fabric material only.

Our 2010 fabric topped GT has been giving us good service, however the vehicle is not a 'daily driver' and is kept in a garage and cared for.
13»