Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester Engine problems

191011121315»

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,512
    It depends on the parts making noise, and how long you let it stay that way. The cams are the first to make noise, so I have to suspect there is either a flow or pressure effect associated with it getting low, even though it definitely is still sucking oil.
  • mkunzemkunze Posts: 26
    Talked to a subaru slaesman today who has been reseaching for me. He says several car guys have told him that it is not unusual for these cars to go through 1/2 a quart of oil a month.

When I bought the car the salesman said it the new synthetic oil they put in them is as thin as water. Perhaps the extremely low viscosity makes them like this. Just guessing.
  • aathertonaatherton Posts: 617
    edited May 2012
    The 2011-on FB engine is built with close tolerances to run on lower viscosity oil than the pre-2011 EJ engines, with the low viscosity oil still maintaining shear strength by being synthetic.

Using such low viscosity 0W-20 oil in the older engines would likely result in high oil consumption. Conversely, using 5W-30 oil in the FB engine would likely result in poorer lubrication and mileage.
  • I am interested in purchasing a used 2001 Subaru Forest (automatic) w/168K miles and apprears to be well maintained (will verify with carfax). I do know that the car was recalled by Subaru and had Engine Cooling Conditioner added given the concern for the HG problems.

My question is, to be throughly covered, is it advantageous to flush the coolant and replenish with the K Seal.

Any thoughts or comments.
    Subaru's coolant conditioner is supposed to be added to a coolant change every 30,000 miles. It is the only thing that Subaru approves. But if you already have an active leak, you may as well add the strongest goop.
  • Now I am strongly considering purchasing a 2003 Subaru Outback Legacy Wagon L (automatic V4 2.5L) with 139K. I don't think it has a HG concern/problem, but will have it verified in the next cpl of days with my mechanic (didn't the 2003 have a re-design on the HG?).

If one wants to be proactive (not re-active) and do everything possible to deter problems with the HG, what would be the best additive to the cooling system (eg, Subaru Engine Cooling conditioner, Blue Devil, Red Line, Purple Ice)?

Appreciate informed opinions.

thanks
    Proactive - Subaru (Holt's Radweld) conditioner. Subaru evidently believes it won't compromise cooling.
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/vintagefortytwo/Forester/HoltsSubaru.jpg
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/vintagefortytwo/Forester/HoltsRadweld.jpg-

Reactive - Anything else. Nothing to lose.