Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester Engine problems

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    It's nothing ground breaking but that is overstatement to say the least. And I'm a critic!

The 7" screen is pretty standard for the class, and the rendering of maps is actually a little better than average. Check the CNET reviews for a good video review - nothing special, but better rendering than Honda or Mitsubishi in this price range. Watch the CNET reviews, you can actually see the street names being rendered.

I had a big beef with earlier models (2009 in my case) because it didn't have a backup cam yet cost a bunch, and the maps were outdated. Both have since been addressed.

Offering Tom Tom is about giving the consumer choices, including a cheap way to get a backup cam.

You can even get an OEM backup cam on Premium/Limited models without getting Navi at all.

Kudos to Subaru for offering up options.

Having said all that, $1800 is steep, and for about $1000 you can get a better aftermarket system. It just won't be as well integrated - will your steering wheel controls still work? Warranty also may not cover it.

I suggest sampling the backup cam sans Navi, and then just get a good portable GPS.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    $1800 is nutz.

I bought a 2011 STi and eneded up installing a Kenwood absolute top of the line unit for $1200. Steering wheel control units now will integrate them pretty darn well. For the $ I wouldn't get an OEM system unless it's a lease or you are super concerned about the warranty on the radio itself.

-mike
    Subaru Guru and Track Instructor
    True but we're not all as handy as you are!

Did the steering wheel controls require an added adaptor?

May as well spend another $100 or so on a backup cam kit, too.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Yes there is a steering wheel adapter that needs to be T-tapped into 2 wires when doing the stereo install. It shouldn't take a shop more than 2hrs to do the install, so that's about $150 for the install...

-mike
    Subaru Guru and Track Instructor
  • firesky1firesky1 Posts: 15
    I am going to buy a Subaru Forester and am trying to decide between a new 2011 2.5X (one up from base - i.e. w/sunroof) or a slightly used 2010 2.5X (same trim line w/12,000 miles on it). The difference in price here in Canada is $7,000. I understand that the 2011 Forester has a new flat 4 engine. My question is this - Do you think it is worth the extra money for a 2011 Forester w/the new engine etc.?

Are there other benefits to buying a 2010 over the 2011 or visa versa?
    $7000 is a big difference, I'd buy the used one.

The 2011 has a timing chain instead of a belt, but the belt is supposed to be changed every 105k miles and probably will cost you one tenth of your savings.

The 2011 also gains 1 mpg, but again, $7 grand buys a lifetime of gas.
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 680
    Are there other benefits to buying a 2010 over the 2011 or visa versa?

If you keep the 2010 long enough (80,000-100,000 miles) you might be unlucky enough to experience a head gasket failure that would use part of the price difference. The 2011 is expected to have solved that potential problem; it has several design differences.

I bought an XT in 2010 which has a different block from the naturally aspirated model to avoid that problem. I didn't mind the improved performance which came with the additional cost of premium fuel.
  • amkmeco90amkmeco90 Posts: 17
    hi guys. this is my first time to use z forum so i hope z i do well. anyways, i have a 2010 Forester with 15000miles and every morning or even after parking for a couple of hours i hear a knock like sound coming from the engine, does anybody have an idea about that? and one more question, i asked the dealer what kind of oil they use and they told me they r using a semi-synthetic blend (as i remembered), so if i changed to the synthetic will this be ok?
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    edited June 2011
    if it is a 1-2 second slap-slap-slap and then silent, that would be the infamous piston slap. Mine was fine for 80,000 miles, with only a once a year piston slap incident when it sat for several days and then a cold morning start.

Now, at 140k, if it sits for 4+ hours and the engine cools off, it will slap everytime. I use exclusively 10w-30 synthetic.

Supposedly, this is "factory" and "fine" although many complaints have been voiced over the years.

John
    Thank u for ur answer, but the sound is just a knock at the start of moving then nothing not a slap slap. And one more question, f I want to change the kind of engine oil will this be ok? I know z they r using semisynthetic blend as I recall.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,279
    Changing the engine oil will be no problem at all. What is your oil level? Sometimes they will have lifter noise for a moment or two at start-up, especially if the oil level is low at all.
    Do u mean z 2010 forester owners will experience the head gasket failure? And does the way of driving will affect this?
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 680
    Most Foresters will NOT have the failure, but a few will if they are like other years using the same engine. Head gasket problems have also been in early years of Toyota Celicas and other makes and models. Toyota fours do not have the problem today; they fixed it. The new Subaru engine has been improved to greatly reduce the probability of such a failure. Volkswagen had head gasket and transmission gasket failures in their early VR6s; later ones seem to be fine. If the price difference were smaller, I would buy the 2011. The price difference you were quoted seems excessive.
  • aathertonaatherton Posts: 617
    "Do u mean z 2010 forester owners will experience the head gasket failure? And does the way of driving will affect this?"

The way of driving has no effect. The 2010 engine is the least likely of all the old EJ engines to have a head gasket leak. It has a redesigned head gasket that only fits that year.

The new 2011 FB engine was redesigned to separate the cooling of the head from the rest of the engine. The head gasket between the block and the head was then no longer the weak point in the cooling system
  • subydosubydo Posts: 1
    The dealer dropped my Impreza Outback Sport off the hoist & totaled it. They want to replace it with a 2001 Forester. It has had 5 owners and 3 independent mechanics I took it to expressed considerable concern over hearing sustained piston slap (long after engine is warm). I told the dealer about this & they confirmed it does indeed have piston slap but assured me that they don't think it is a problem or will become bad enough to be a problem. This 2001 Forester has 83,000 miles on it now and I need it to last for another 100,000. Will the piston slap turn into a serious & expensive problem in that time? The dealer did not actually tear stuff apart to actually have a look at the pistons. Help, I do not know who to believe!
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,279
    Five previous owners in 83,000 miles; that says quite a bit all by itself. Honestly, I would probably take the insurance payout on the Impreza and just put it toward a replacement car of your choice (new or used).

Even if the issue is "just" piston slap, the concern expressed by the mechanic and the dealer's own lack of credibility (after all, this is the same place that totaled your car in the first place!) means you likely will have more than a few headaches down the road.
    I agree, 5 owners is a red flag. Most Foresters that age are on their 1st owner, maybe 2nd.
  • wolfzr2wolfzr2 Posts: 20
    edited October 2011
    2011 Forester Non-Turbo. ( FB25 ) 1200 miles.

Got a CEL and VDC light a few weeks ago while in the midst of a 3rd gear WOT kickdown.

When I had the code checked, it stated the engine ran too lean for a bit. Was this simply due to going from cruising at 30mph to nailing it to pass this other car at 60?

Both lights went out on their own after 2-3 seconds and the car is running fine. Thoughts? Is this just a case of a sensor detecting something out of range for a split second, then seeing that it's cleared up and shutting off the CEL and merely storing the code?

I should mention it did it again last night, same exact scenario. Floored it to pass someone and got the CEL light blinking. VCD light was on as well ( I'm assuming it was temp disabled during CEL ).. CEL and VDC light went out after around 10 seconds. Car ran fine the whole time, no hiccups, no loss of power.

ECU issue?
  • aathertonaatherton Posts: 617
    edited October 2011
    "Got a CEL... a few weeks ago while in the midst of a 3rd gear WOT kick down... code... stated the engine ran too lean for a bit. Was this simply due to going from cruising at 30mph to nailing it to pass this other car at 60? ... went out... after 2-3 seconds and the car is running fine.... Is this just a case of a sensor detecting something out of range for a split second, then seeing that it's cleared up and shutting off the CEL and merely storing the code?... did it again last night, same exact scenario. Floored it to pass someone and got the CEL light blinking... ECU issue?"

I think so. The CEL would have stored a DTC for the dealer to see. Take it in. Leanness when demanding WOT could result in less than full power when it is needed most.
  • I own a subaru forester stb automatic and have had it fr a month or so and have noticed that the car is a bit jumpy, like when i put my foot down, it feels if th turbo struggles to kick in makn th car jump , sorry but this is the best i could describe it . Any ideas on what would be causing this ?