Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS Steering Problems

Comments

• aaronvaaronv Posts: 2
    I just bought an 08 CTS4 (which I absolutely love) but when you turn the steering wheel either left or right it makes a clicking sound and you can actually feel it in the gas pedal (not too sure about the brake.. never use it :) ) . I brought it into the dealer and they ordered parts but said this is a first they have ever seen an issue like this in a 08 CTS. Anyone else out there have/had this problem?
  • I've been seeing reports of issues here similar to the one I have with my CTS. There is a vibration coming through that is not from the road or the tires since on occasion the same road will feel smoother. I have a lowered stiffer WRX that drives more comfortably on black straight roads. Additionally I have a slight drift to the right more than I believe it should, which causes me to pull left and lose the benefit of a dead spot, which in turn means more work on long trips.

The dealer blamed tire pressure last time and I had the tires that were not OEM (bought car used) were replaced by another shop I trust. I've had the alignment and balancing done by the same shop I trust, but the issues still seem to be there. The shop acknowledges the issue, but the dealer is another matter since they like to blame the user/weather/road/anything else. I have an extended warranty, but it is useless until someone figures out the cause.

The silver lining here seems to be that others with these issues have had them fixed by the replacement of the rack. I hate going back to the Cadillac dealer because they always assault me with unwanted and superfluous services, and other places may not quite know the Cadillac as well as the dealer techs... so it's a rock and a hard place for me until I get them to find the problem.
  • I have been trying to figure out this issue my '08 CTS4 for two years now. It has been continually getting worse. Took it to the dealer 3 times now with no success. I removed and greased the intermediate steering shaft which had no effect. Can't seem to understand why its felt in the gas pedal. Have you had any luck fixing this yet?
  • After a couple of times taking it to a dealer, they finally replaced the whole steering column which fixed the problem for a couple of months; but the problem is back again. I am going to try another dealer this week to see what they say, it is apparently a bearing in the bottom of the column that is worn. I am also going to call Cadillac to see if they've had any other issues like this as I've read a couple others with the exact problem.
  • I turned in the lease on my 2008 CTS4/Premium Package and purchased the same car, but a 2010 model year. I have noticed that the car seems to "weave" when driving. It feels like I am driving on a windy day but the wind is coming from both sides. The weaving isn't violent, but enough where it's not acceptable to me in a new car, particularly a Cadillac. I have taken it to the dealer once and the tech found the same issue during a test drive. He adjusted the "toe" and the tire air pressure but the problem still exists.

Three questions:
    1) Has anyone else experienced this same problem?
    2) Any advice on how to work with GM on this assuming the Tech cannot solve the problem?
    3) Any advice on working the lemon law rules under a worse case scenario?

Thanks.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,057
    Hello Rspruitt,
    Did you call the dealership and let them know the concern is still present? If the technician cannot figure out the problem please let me know. I will open a case and have an agent look at your situation further. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,420
    Tires
    Alignment
    Control Arm Bushings

• Thanks Mariah- Yes, I was back to the dealership (Wiers- Demotte, IN) last week and they were unable to resolve the problem. I even took another vehicle on the lot for a test drive (same make/model) and could not duplicate the problem. I would like to proceed to the next step as you suggest and have an agent look at the case. Please advise, thanks.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,057
    Hello Rspruitt,
    That is not a problem. What I will need from you is to have you e-mail me the following: contact information, VIN, current mileage, dealership and best time to contact you. I just want you to know the agent will probably have you take the vehicle in to have it diagnosed. You can get my e-mail by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • Like others here, I have a 2010 CTS with steering vibration. Local dealer forced balanced but this has not resolved the issue. I have never driven a car that has this issue in the last 25 years of driving. What is worse, is the local service manager and dealership employees are not interested in resolving it. In fact, not only did this not fix the issue, someone scrapped my new leather steering wheel and also damaged the dash covering when completing a required glove box recall! I am utterly disappointed that my 3 week old car has had this happen.

I have never experienced this type of attitude from any GM dealer. The service manager sent me a letter making sure I checked the boxes "Completely satisfied" or call me. I called him and never heard back. I just moved to Chicago and just chaulk it up to this area's customer service culture - which is very lacking.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    Im curious as to what was the recall for the glovebox.....unfortunately not all dealers know how to road balance a tire....do they have the hunter machine to do it..or did they simply state they did it..and placed it on a normal balancer....just curious.....damage to the interior is unacceptable.....time to go above the service managers head..to the owner of the dealership
  • dant4dant4 Posts: 2
    Need copy or duplicate of original window sticker for 2010 Cadillac CTS. Bought used from Indiana dealer but car was sold new by an unknown dealer in Florida, I believe.
    I believe you can get a copy through any dealer if you provide the VIN number....the dealer has to request it from big GM...so curious.....do you have this car now?
  • dant4dant4 Posts: 2
    Yes. Purchased October, 2010. Thanks for reply.
  • mart6mart6 Posts: 4
    I have the same problem with my 2011 awe cts the car weaves from side to side on the highway. Does anyone have an answer ?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    Have you taken it to the dealership? If so, what did they say? Your car is still under warranty - with a problem like that, I'd want it fixed asap!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• rspruittrspruitt Posts: 11
    I've had this car close to a year now and don't notice the problem anymore. Could be the steering loosened up slightly so not as tight, tires have worn, or I'm just used to it now, not sure. I took it to the dealership early on and they could not detect the issue.
    Yes. Twice. The first time the mechanic said he felt the same thing, he put it on the rack, and checked for anything loose, and gave it back to me the same way. I complained to Cadillac, and they sent me back. They said it was normal. I did drive another car that did the same thing, but its not normal for a car to do this . There is something wrong with it right out of the factory. Very dangerous.
    I was hoping it would go away. A friend of mine suggested it might be the wide tires ,but I don't know. There not that wide 235s. I once had a 93 dodge stealth with 245s, awd, and 4 wheel steering, and it was rock solid, it did sway I little over 100 mph, but that was the rear steering, and me touching the wheel, not the car doing it on its on . I really love this car. I'd love it more if it drove straight.
    has it been checked for proper alignment....you previously mentioned the mechanic put it on the rack and checked for loose suspension...but nothing about checking alignment...09 CTS here with no problems at all...37K