Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V Transmission Problems

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,275
    Gee, a leak that big and that fast suggests to me a ruptured cooling line from the transmission to the radiator.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• K9WillK9Will Posts: 26
    k9will here i had simular problem but what happens is trans line going into radiator pulls out of radiator and the plastic core separates from the alum. trans cooler inside radiator and the 2 fluids can pour out together causing the need to replace the radiator the lines should be ok but gm knows there is a problem with this design because i have read others with same problem but that is way they need to replace radiator Im hope this helps
  • esozesoz Posts: 2
    oh ok thanks, you have any idea of how much the parts and hours of labour would be approximately?
    Hard to say until we know what's wrong. But if it was just one busted line, and not radiator damage, it doesn't sound like it would be too expensive---cost of the line + labor plus replacing the fluid.

If the radiator needed replacing, that gets pricey---about $550 + 3.0 hours labor.

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Just an FYI almost all automatics have the trans cooler built into the radiator on modern cars.

-mike
  • Just got my CTS back from dealer after cooling line failure,they replaced radiator,both cooling lines and all necessary fluids,total cost including taxes was$2280.00.After my loud verbal.many emails, complaints,(called GM Canada)they agreed as a good will gesture to cut bill in half...my share being...$1138.00.Good that they did that,but bottomline is they know they have a problem and a "no charge" recall is in order.
    Well given the age of the car, I congratulate you on getting anything out of them---although I have to say, the bill you got originally seems very high.

• I have a similar problem with my 2006 CTS (automatic 5-speed).

When accelerating under load, the transmission makes a rattling noise like it is slipping as it changes gears.

The first time it happened was about 6 months after my first transmission fluid change. The dealer replaced my Torque Converter and the issue went away... until 6 months later. They found the same symptoms as the first time, but decided to not replace the torque converted and gave me a full new transmission as they couldn't find out why it was occurring.

Now it is 6 months later and it started to the same thing this past Sunday.

For some reason i think it might be the wrong fluid they used, or the fluid pressure setting is too low (I do mainly city driving, not so much highway driving). The car only has 66,000kms on it.
  • my 2004 is a mess had a crank sensor replaced.tie rod know a bearing and air flow sensor is gone with 66,000 miles.the gas milage sucks.its such a beautiful car very sad selling for 9,000
  • its the air flow sensor its happening to me very slow
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,134
    troymorehouse,
    Has the dealer been able to resolve your concerns?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Yes, I had an appointment scheduled for my oil change, and mentioned the issues to them.

They found that the Transmission Control Module had the correct software loaded, but it was not registering correctly with the system. They re-programmed the control module and all is happy for now.

Amazing what software can do.
  • mgrastonmgraston Posts: 2
    So my 06 CTS is loosing oil just like in this blog. Does anyone know what the issue is because I see a whole bunch of issues like this with the CTS. I was told by the dealer it was bad rings which is why it and what eventually fixed your issues with the bruning oil???
    mgraston,

Did the dealership do an oil consumption test?

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • mgrastonmgraston Posts: 2
    Yes the dealer did, this car has 31k miles on it and I have to say I am kind of shocked. They also just did the 30k matinence and an oil change at that time using the recommended oil for that car.
  • giox_3giox_3 Posts: 1
    CAR: 05 CTS 3.6L, Automatic Trans, 111074 miles. -
    Just yesterday as I was driving away form a parking lot, after driving for 1 mile I released the gas pedal as the upcoming traffic light was red, seconds later the light turned green and when I accelerated, the car did not move. Luckily with the speed I had, I was able to pull over to the side of the road. I shifted the gears back and forth from Drive 2,3,4, and Reverse and car did not move any direction. I turned the car off. 20min later I started the car and when I shifted the gear to Drive, it only moved about 30ft before the transmission began to slip. Now I'm already 50 minutes into this frustrating situation. Never did the Check Engine light or any alert ever go off. There was no noise of broken or damaged parts coming from the Trans, no smoke, oil leaks, and smell of anything burning. I parked the car at a near by lot. The following morning I jacked up the CTS and checked the Trans fluids. I removed the Pan Plug and as I suspected, very minimum oil came out. I removed the oil pan completely, checked for any sign of metal debre and did not see any. The Trans and oil pan looked cleaned and free of any damage. No burn smell or broken pieces. I then refilled the transmission with oil and started up the engine. Drove the car around the block for abt 6 time and everything seemed well, no noise or trans slip. Thinking all was good, I began to drive home when about 6 miles into my drive the trans began to slip. When I got to a complete stop, I accelerated on Drive, 2,3,4, and reverse and car did not move. Turned the engine off, waited for 30 min before re starting it and it drove again. With all the speed it gave me and no stops I made it home.
    I'm wondering if this has happened to enyone and/or if any technician can give me a reason for the problem... It blows my mind that there is no Oil under the car, no smell of anything burning and or any sound of broken parts in the transmission and when the car is cool enough to drive, it drives fast and smooth but as soon as it warms up it slips.. someone help me or at least give me an idea of what to expect before I take it to the mechanics at the dealer! HELP!
    giox_3,
    I apologize you are experiencing concerns with your vehicle. Unfortunatly I do not have technical information. I would recommend speaking with the dealer. If you would like I can also set up a case for you with GM Customer Assistance. Not only does this report your issues to GM, but an agent will also work with you and your dealer to get your concerns resolved. If you would like to take this route I would just need you to email me with your complete contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • vee6vee6 Posts: 1
    I just experienced issues with my 06 CTS; it only has 39000 miles on it so really surprised. I'm unable to shift into reverse, there was no "check engine" light or any kind of warning. I have it with a cadillac mechanic now because I couldn't drive it home without reverse.

Mechanic says it sounds like transmission; does this happen at such a low mileage? Of course it would have to be right after the warranty expires also. Not so sure I'm going to be willing to buy Cadillac the next time around if it gives out this soon.
    vee6,
    I apologize for you frustrations. Can you please keep me updated on your situation? Please feel free to email me with any questions comments or concerns.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • dh5dh5 Posts: 2
    The manual transmission in my V has had a clutch replaced, both master and slave cylinders, engine mounts replaced, yet I still have intermittent slight grind of the gears between 1st and 2nd and occasionally between 2nd & 3rd (of course clutch is fully depressed when issue is occurring) . I have been to three dealers and none seem to be able to isolated the problem. Doesn't seem like many of these cars sold and the dealers don't seem to have the expertise to isolate the problem.

Hoping someone can shed some light on this issue? Thank you....
    Bad synchros?

You might also try a synthetic trans oil. As I recall, the transmissions in the CTS-V had a reputation for being balky from the get-go.

• rrod1rrod1 Posts: 3
    I have an 04 Cadillac CTS with 124k miles. Are there any known problems with the transmission on these cars? I've never had warning with anything and blew my transmission. While driving down interstate, it lost acceleration so I pulled over the side of road. It would not go into gear. Now, I'm told the transmission is shot, as well as, getting a crack in radiator probally due to the overheating trans. What would you do....fix or get another vehicle?

Thanks
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    edited August 2011
    quessing you are looking at 4K plus in repairs.....an almost 8 year old CTS with 124K, with other issues......I would go for another vehicle....
  • biggerchuckbiggerchuck Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    I had my 05 V t56 lock up at 65 mph 3 weeks ago. I was driving in 6th gear at the time on the highway. All of a sudden the trans locks up and skids off the road, nearing avoiding being rear ended in traffic.
    I got it flatbedded to a shop. After some research, I contacted RPM Transmission in Anderson, Indiana. They state the have rebuilt over 400 V trans for the same issue. 6th gear shaft bearing welds itself to the shaft, thus locking the trans. I got a level V rebuilt t56 from them, with micro polished shafts and other forks and bushings upgraded. It has never shifted so nice, no more balky transmission shifts or problems getting into reverse or first gear.
    Cadillac states they have never heard of this issue, but with RPM doing over 400 rebuilds, that is a bitter comment to accept.
    My brothers 05 V is on its 3rd t56 from Cadillac. The first one made noise, but never locked up. The second one only lasted two weeks before noise occured. The third one is fine. It has about 20k miles on it so far. The Cadillac dealer in California that did his warranty work stated they were not instructed to repair by Cadillac, just replace. Nobody was allowed to examine the issue.
    Has anybody else on this site experienced this issue? The CTS-V forum has confirmed several of them.
    I am going to write the Ohio Attorney General and the NTSB since this is a safety issue (as detailed above, locked up at 65 mph with almost two rear end hits).
    Please let me know your experiences.
  • I am experiencing the same problem with my 2004 CTS, similar mileage. Did you ever figure out whast the exact problem was and how to fix it? Any info would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks!
  • In response to giox_3 thread #120.

I am experiencing the same problem, once the car warms up the transmission either slips or will not go into gear. When driven cold, car drives fine. I had the transmission serviced, and they said it was finew and they could not get the car top recreate the problems (I'm assiuming they did not let it warm up enough. Giox_3 - did you ever find a solution to the problem?
    Once I thouroughly researched my options, I decided to just trade it in and bought myself a new/used car. I took a lose on it but the dealer gave me an opportunity to wash my hands of it. I learned that the transmissions in those cars were having similar issues.

Good luck!
    I did not find a reasonable solution to the expensive problem, so I decided to trade it in for another car. Between us, I will NOT buy another Cadillac again. The one or two problems I had with brake or fuel smell in car were never resolved correctly, eventhough, I went to dealership. Good luck!
  • I am having exactly the same problem as mentioned by giox_3. Do you know what the outcome was for this? Was there a solution? Since this user is marked as "private" I am unable to contact him to inquire.

Thank you