Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V Transmission Problems

Comments

• If we can assist in following up with your GM dealership, please let us know via email. We'd get a Service Request established, and so would need information like your name/Edmunds username, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealer.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Well, the issue is back again, and worse than before. Dealer is still not sure what hte problem is. At first they suggested it might be caused by the catalytic converter. That ended up not being the case.

Now they say they *think* it is caused by a timing chain issue. But are unsure this will fix the problem unless they replace the timing chain and all its components (gears, tensioners, etc), which is a very labour and $$$ intensive repair. And even then they are not sure it is going to fix the problem.

So far all the "solutions" have been a fix to the symptoms, and not the root cause of the issue. The vehicle is now two years out of warranty and has been costing me a bundle to "fix". The issues started under warranty, but the dealer says they cannot fix it under warranty even though the tranny is new (less than 20,000 kms on it). The vehicle has less than 79,000kms on it.

Its beginning to look like this 2006 CTS (V6 2.8L) is nothing but a big lemon.

:mad:
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    I'm sorry that this problem persists, troymorehouse. I would offer to assist further, but noticed that you have been using kilometers as a unit of measure and am guessing that you are Canadian? Have you contacted GM of Canada (Customer Service for Canada)? I would recommend doing so! They can be reached at 1-888-446-2000 (Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I was in contact with GM Canada, and was told that they are reviewing the case, and have instructed the dealer ship to cease work on the car while they do their review. Its been several days now, and i have not heard back from them (I've called and left a few messages)

Unfortunately this leave me with out a vehicle (which i need for work, among other things). And I hate to have to rent yet another vehicle (I've had rentals almost more than this car for the past while) at my own expense again.
  • Thats what they did to mine (2006 CTS). replaced the torque converter. worked for a while, but then it came back 6 months later. they replaced the transmission. Worked for 6 months then the issue came back. They updated the TCM software and worked for another 6 months, but the issue is now back AGAIN!

Now they say it is the timing chains (or they think it is the timing chains). Unfortunately the vehicle is now out of warranty, and GM is pussyfooting around the issue.
  • I had the torque converter replace in november and this week (5 months later) the car started shifting hard into 2nd gear again and now there is a metal rattling noice until the car shifts into 3rd. im not sure what i should do the car has 78500 miles on it. i ahd brought it to a caddy dealer and they said nothing was wrong with my transmission. i really dont know what to do from here :(
  • Well my transmission is slipping when it goes to 2nd gear i called GM and there isnt anything they will do. so looks like its time to give up the caddy :(
  • instainsta Posts: 1
    just had mine done (2004), bill was 1440.00, that included all fluids added and two flushes of the system.
  • jgibby69jgibby69 Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same problem. I put it in gear, push the gas and nothing. Its as if it is in neutral. Engine just revs up but don't move. I have no leaking, no noises, etc. Having a mechanic look at it tonight. Hoping its an easy fix????
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    I hope your mechanic is able to get to the bottom of this for you, jgibby69! If they are with one of our dealerships, we'd be happy to follow up with them if you like. Either way, we look forward to an update!

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I loved my CTS initially, especially it being my first American car. I had to take in already because the sound after 6000 rpm was worrisome, but the dealership told me that's just how they all sound. So I have about 10k miles on my 2012 AWD CTS, almost all highway miles going to and from work. At times, I get heavy footed. On the highway, my car reacts normally. On the streets though, if I'm pedal to the medal, my car, it slips changing gears from 1st to 2'nd gear. The car sounds like it's trying to change gears, then the traction control light toggles on and off a few times. Anyone else experience this problem? It happened to me once before and now it happening a little more often. This is a brand new 40k "luxury" sedan, this really shouldn't be an issue.
  • Good evening roadcall,
    Congratulations on your 2012 CTS! Although, we're certainly sorry to hear you're experiencing some shifting concerns. If you would like for us to follow up on this with your dealership, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with the following information: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership. My coworker Christina, who responds to incoming emails, will assist you further.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • Hey Scott. I was googling my issue that I had with my 05 cts to see if I can find answers and I came across your message. I have the same exact problem. The exact same! I have 97K miles on mine and went to lube stop to get an oil change 1 day and everything was fine until 2 days later. I was at a red light and got stuck. My car was not moving. It never turned off though. Kept running. Problem turned out to be the lines and coolants and trans and radiator fluids mixing and messing up my transmission. Same like you. Anyways I got my radiator replaced and flushed out the system and new lines and fluids. It's running now but not the same. Feels weird when I shift gears and my rpm Gauge is screwed too. It keeps moving around. When I try to accelerate at high speeds, my car makes loud terrible noise. And feels like it takes a while to reach that speed. Sucks! So I took it back to the shop and the guy tells me he believes the transmission was messed up. He said my car will eventually stop working and tells me to trade it in. That's what he would do. But I don't want to. I love my car although it has given me multiple issues before. He says to replace the transmission it will cost me almost $3000 for a used one. So now I'm stuck and don't know what to do. I don't want another car note. But I also can't pay 3K and it might break down on me in the future again. Don't think it's worth it so I'm going to trade it in unless I can find a cheap trans online and just have him replace it for me on the side. If u come across a cheap one, let me know! Good luck to u.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    lacchick,
    Are you working with a GM dealership on this repair work? If so, we're available to work with you through that process and can be contacted at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • GEE I JUST PURCHASED A 2004 CTS AND IN FIVE DAYS - AM EXPERIENCING TRANSMISSION SLIPPAGE - IS THERE A FIX OR DID I GET HOSED

AND NEED TO BY A FORD??
  • temj12temj12 Posts: 450
    If it were me, I would be running to trade it in. You have some big-time expense coming with your transmission. You will most likely need a new one. Go for the Ford. This comes from someone who drives a 2009 which I like.
  • I have a Cadillac cts 2004. Have the same problem as you ... Did you get your car fixed?
  • I had the same problem with mine. Cadillac sucks at this. I was on the interstate when this happened. The connection between the transmission is cut off so that you don't ruin the transmission. However the engine will remain on so that you can use the power brakes. The car was under warranty when this happened. The dealership fixed it but the car doesn't drive the the same. Before it used to just glide. Now you notice each and every gear change. The gear changes are so rough and there is no power the car drives like a cement truck. I suggest people stay away from Cadillac until they take time to fix this issue. Instead of launching new models take time and build a car worthy of the name. Reliability on these models sucks ......
  • my parents own the car and at around 10K miles they allegedly had transmission replaced by cadillac dealer. they were accused of driving with 2 feet causing the transmission to fail!!! now the car is back at the dealer and once again for the transmission that was replaced about a year ago and car has almost 13K miles on it total!!! once again the driving with 2 feet has come up however, my parents haven't been the only ones driving the car since health problems have forced them to rely on me driving them in their car...i do not drive with 2 feet and i haven't observed either of them doing that before i took over driving the car. dealer is saying that GM may not cover a new tranny since they just replaced one and now i am wondering if it was even replaced or 'fixed' old one. either way SHOULD A CAR WITH LESS THAN 13K MILES NEED TRANSMISSION WORK TWICE IN A LITTLE OVER A YEAR??? WHY IS USING 2 FEET OR NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT...I WOULD THINK THE BRAKES WOULD HAVE FAILED BEFORE A TRANSMISSION :cry:
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    Hello,

I'd like to look further into this concern you're having with your parents' vehicle. If you want to send me the VIN and your full name I can document your complaint and work with you in seeking more answers regarding your concern. You can email us at socialmedia@gm.com ATTN: Amber. Please keep me posted.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care