Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    They offered me 23K and will put it out for 30-32K . Remember, I have a Lux spt with all options except the auto . I noticed that the big three auto pricing websites show a VERY little money difference between the stick and the auto . Edmunds shows no difference at all . The dealers really want it all . - We already knew that.
    I am still thinking a 1-2 year old CTS V will be a great deal .Especially when the AUTOMATIC version comes out next year .By the way the platinum CTS-V I saw at the dealer Monday is still available today ,Thursday .And this is the "Big" presidents day sale week
  • cu95cu95 Member Posts: 96
    Got to take my '03 CTS (base, auto) on a nice little road trip this past weekend up to Ithaca NY to catch some hockey games. I've had the CTS since last April but have had precious few opportunities to take it out for a long drive (it mostly languishes as my ten minute commuter car). Six hours for the round trip just flew by; the CTS is real pleasure to drive. The route had stretches of mildly winding roads, with speed changes and passing via the oncoming traffic lane, and I always felt confident in the car. I know others have had difficulty getting comfortable in the CTS's seats (including my wife), fortunately I’ve found them to be an exceptional fit (in particular, the dead pedal holds my leg in the most comfortable position of any car I've had a chance to drive for extended periods). Thankfully the roads were dry, so no traction worries (Ithaca's hills are brutal in the snow, and I'm still without snow tires). For those fretting about resale, my recommendation is to just keep your CTS and enjoy it. :-) (Btw, Cornell won both games --I'm sure you were all wondering :-) )
  • v8lincolnguyv8lincolnguy Member Posts: 273
    I've been in Tampa on business the past few days and there was a white SRX right out in front of the hotel the day I got there. Seems the valet gave it a prime parking space, right next to a Jaguar XK8 and a Boxter. I will say, the SRX looked right at home parked there. Very nice looking SUV.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I personally think the SRX is a more successful iteration of Art & Science than the CTS.
    The XLR looks the best.
    Saw a XLR the other day and it is just stunning.
    I think I will buy a SRX V6 no options in Moonstone.
    I looked at the CTS again 2 days ago when I was looking at a black SRX and feel that the back seat is just too small.
    Saw another SRX earlier today. Black and it had the "Northstar" badge on it. I love the taillights. Sharp indeed. While some people my age would probably lust after the sheer size and cache of the Escalade, I would gladly take the SRX hands down. Much better looking IMO. And we won't even get into how much more sophisticated the chassis is.
    Hands down the SRX is the better all around vehicle when compared to the Escalade. The SRX is a SUV/CTS and the Escalade is a SUV/truck
  • pbeerspbeers Member Posts: 26
    definitely agree about the SRX (CTS) vs Escalade (truck). I saw a silver SRX driving down the street this morning in Pasadena and it looks very sharp, really stands out...
  • richerryricherry Member Posts: 19
    Bought a CTS 04 in Aug,luxury model,1SB, 16 inch wheels, Goodyear Eagle RS-A P225/55R16,now 3500 miles. We get very little rain in So Calif, but the tires jump or bump when taking off at NORMAL speed when the pavement is wet. This has happened several times on one or both rear tires.

Last nite on a wet street, going uphill, after stopping at a light, it bumped or jumped or slipped ,like mad when taking off at a NORMAL speed. My wife was very upset for a new car. I have NEVER had this problem with other GM cars, so what is wrong ?

Also I have had a problem with the seat memory setting changing from mine to my wife, and she does not even drive the car. Had the dealer reset it once, now it changes again to my wife then went back to mine. Shows on the display and the movement of the seat, my wife is much shorter, so goes up more.OK now.

Also have a 6 CD so some times when I start the car the CD keeps changing cd's making noise. To correct this I have to remove one CD then put it back. This has happend several times.

Have had a problem with the analog cell phone, it doesnt work in my drive way, but Onstar works, we are a block away from a sprint tower. They the Onstar people promised me an dual mode model, by Dec 03, but went to a dealer , they have not heard about it. Then (Onstar)even gave me 12 months and 120 hours for all my trouble. I spent hours in the driveway trying to make it work, the cell phone.

Has any one got the dual analog/digital cell phone ? They talked about a recall.

What other problems has the 2004 had ? Will take it to a dealer soon.

Over all I like the car except when I asked about an oil change in Orange County, they quoted me $90, a BIT EXCESSIVE as I rarely pay over $30. What is a proper price, in other areas ?

Ray
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    re: seat problem. Are you pushing the buttons at the front of the door armrest? Are you swapping keys with your wife, or clickers? Is your wife using her clicker to open the passenger door after you have used yours? The two possible seat positions are each controlled by one of the clickers. The last one used will determine the position of the drivers seat.

As to the tires jumping, I think you just have too much power under the hood for Southern California's slippery when wet roads. We have gone much too long without rain here in the southland, and accumulated much too much oil. You might try using the little snowflake button to ease up your starts. The oil slick acts just like snow.

That $90 dollar oil change sounds way out of line unless they are including such other things as a tire rebalance and rotation. Come up here to the San Fernando valley and you can get new oil and a filter for about $27.50, and they will even throw in a car wash.

And by the way there is a replaceable cabin air filter, well hidden under the hood in front of the passenger seat.
  • bxd20bxd20 Member Posts: 68
    There's an Olds Cutlass Supreme and an Olds Alero in my family, both with Eagle RS-As. Although they are praised by some, I find their straight-line wet traction to be very average. And this is in FWD, so with a RWD I could see things being worse. I would just take it easy, wear these out, and then choose a different tire when it comes time to replace the RS-A. Tirerack research will clue you in on good wet-traction choices.

As far as the Onstar, my only comment is that I notice you mentioned Sprint. I used to use Sprint and would drop calls all the time, and could not use my cell phone inside my house, despite it being a single story ranch. Of course there are many many variables, so I am not saying it's the tower's fault. Just an FYI.

Brian
    You beat me to it. Just posted it in the SRX thread.
    In the cell phone industry they have a name for sprint, it's interstate wireless. If your near and interstate or major highway, you likely have good coverage but get off the beaten path and it's either no service or off band roaming. I think Onstar uses Verizon Wireless for Onstar. My understanding is that in areas where Verizon doesn't have coverage, they have a roaming agreement with one of the providers there so the unit will be able to get service.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    I only found one part of the interstates in our area where the Verizon
    Onstar didn't work well. That's I65 between Louisville (Ky) and
    Nashville (Tn).

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• wybeswybes Member Posts: 9
    I've had my silver smoke CTS since the end of December and so far so good, I can't really say I've had any problems that I am aware of. I got the 1SC package with P225/50R17 tires and they don't exhibit any handling problems in wet or slushy road conditions (Chicago area). I have Onstar with personal calling, although I rarely use the personal calling, I tend to use my cell phone most of the time because of cost. The times I have used the personal calling, I haven't noticed any issues and it is Analog/Digital ready.
  • bluesky999bluesky999 Member Posts: 253
    That was a great article on the assembly line that you posted the link to. It's encouraging to see an American manufacturer make such a progressive and successful move.
    I saw on another thread where some folks are using the GM card to decrease the purchase price of their CTS. GOing to GMCARD.COM, I saw that you can earn $ over a 7 year period with no limit. I also saw that the "redemption allowance" for the CTS was $1000. Does that mean that the max that can be applied towards the CTS is $1000? I'm confused because in the "prices paid" thread, which is no longer very active, a fellow got a much larger discount than that. Thx for any assistance.
  • shifty4shifty4 Member Posts: 53
    The old GM card allowed accrual of only $500 per year for up to $3,500 total, the entire amount of which can be applied to an individual purchase of a GM vehicle. These were phased out a few years ago, except for grandfathering holders of the cards.
    The newer card allows unlimited accrual for up to 7 years but limits the amount one can apply by model. If you have the old card - do not convert to the new.
  • ronhextallronhextall Member Posts: 37
    The original GM card said you cound compile $500.00 per year for 7 years. You could use as much as you wanted towards a new car, the max would be $3500.

The New GM is no where near as good. It markets itself as saying earn as much as you want, no yearly cap. The kicker is GM puts limits on how much you can use on each vehicle GM makes.

I have the original old card and have almost $2500 sitting on it. GM is constantly sending me crap trying to switch to the new card. I will never switch the New GM card is IMO crap.

I wish GM would let you use the points towards a SAAB. SAAB is a GM product so why not let me use the GM points? I emailed SAAB about it and the official response was, "We have never inquired about it."

I would like a 4-door sports sedan with manual transmission. CTS is about all GM has to offer at the currenty time, maybe the new G6 from Pontiac will be an option.
    Thanks for the answers on the GM card. It was hard to get the hard details from the web site, but now I understand. The limit on the CTS is $1000, which is very low in my opinion, so it doesn't matter what percentage they give. I think I'll stick w/my existing credit car for which I can get cash equivalent to 2% on all my purchases. That way I'm not beholden to GM in any manner nor are there any limits.
  • scurvyscurvy Member Posts: 7
    I have the new card. Although I have approximately $1000 already in about 14 months and plan to buy a CTS next year I am going to keep using the card. Periodically I receive bonus dollars from GM exclusively for cardholders. They have included up to $2003 in 2003- they would advance $$ necessary to get to $2003 that would eventually have to be credited to the account and add an extra $1000 to your already earned GM Card savings.

Knowing that these programs come up periodically, I will make sure I get $3500 off the price of my CTS. I will get my $1000 from the card, I will buy with the $1000 bonus, and get the conquest $1500 since my wife's Jeep is titled in both of our names. I only wish it were next fall/winter already.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Not to mention that you can give GM card (new - don't know about old) dollars to immediate family (my sister was able to use $1750 of my GM card dollars towards the purchase of a Trailblazer - plus GM card gave a $500 bonus - and this was on top of the $4k rebate and the GM In the Driveway coupon from my mother-in-law). All I had to do was add her as an authorized user on the account (she did not need to receive a credit card). Took about 2 minutes (can do it online)...

--Robert
    (saving up his GM card dollars for a CTS or a GTO)
    My take on the GM card is different than some others. If it works for you, that's great, but I don't like it because of the limit on what you can use. The CTS is quite interesting. But it just seems to expensive, at least withwhat I want which is sport luxury pkg. The Infiniti G35 is quite a bit cheaper and even the new Acura TL is cheaper. I'm not going to get their card and use it just to bring the price down a bit. I'd rather use my Miles One which I can convert to cash and apply to any car of my choosing. I'm not getting married to GM. Just my opinion.
    I had an 04 base CTS for the 24 hour test drive this weekend. Only options I noticed were memory seats, power passenger seat, heated seats, diamond white paint.

The good news is: strong engine, gets you into trouble in a blink. :) Nice 5A tranny. Handling was very confidence inspiring. From a driver's perspective, this car hits its marks in my opinion.

Now the little complaints. I'm not ripping up the car, I'm providing constructive feedback on how it could be better. :)

I'm only ~180 lbs, and the seat was rubbing on the center console quite often. Time to shave 1/4" off console and side of seat GM.
    No glove box light, at this price that's embarassing.
    Trunk is a bit heavy to lift at first, minor quibble though.
    I heard some plastic creak from around the shifter at times, then it would go away. It was minor, but why can't the interior designers realize either two pieces of plastic must be secured to each other or some felt needs to be used between mating surfaces.
    Finally I think the fuel door ought to lock at this price.

Maybe some of this will be addressed for 05.

Brian
  • tetedepierretetedepierre Member Posts: 62
    Delighted to hear that CTS has no fuel door. Still driving my 95 Saab that HAD a locking fuel door. The solenoid stopped working, I tried to gas up couldn't. Thank the lord managed to get home and once I had my tools, managed to detach the solenoid from the door and drop it into the recesses of the car where it still is. Honestly how many times has anyone had gas siphoned from their car here in North America.
    tetedepierre-
    i think it's more to keep others from putting stuff INTO your tank you wouldn't want. but this doesn't bother me too much, it's the smallest of my complaints by far.
    brian
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Why not have the best of both worlds? A remote operated locking fuel door with a manual release inside the trunk? Lincoln LS has it.
  • breetai52breetai52 Member Posts: 91
    "Honestly how many times has anyone had gas siphoned from their car here in North America."

As long as they left enough so I could get to the next station :). Seriously, I'd be more concerned with people pouring sugar in there.
    I wonder why Cadillac didnt install a locking fuel door . I dont think it was a price issue . same thing for a glove box light . I wonder who forgot ? You would think someone would have a checklist . But then again what would we know . We didnt go to GM automotive engineering school .

I dont care if the fuel door doesnt lock unless gas hits $3.00 or I get someone angry at me . I had gas stolen from me during the gas crisis
    Deletion of little lights like in the glovebox or under the hood is absolutely just a moneysaver. Doesn't seem like much but it adds up. If it only saves $2 per car (including labor) and you sell a million cars per year that's $2M savings.
    I agree with you on the locking fuel door. My LS has one and heck, I think even Honda Accords have them. The CTS is too nice of a car to have a gas tank thats easily available for thugs to put crap into it. As for the solenoid not working and not being able to gas up, every car I've owned with a remote fuel door release has had a mechanical release in the trunk just in case. A glove box light would be nice but if I recall the CTS has a small glove box so maybe they figured it wouldn't be used much:)
    I have a 99 SVT Contour. Earlier years had a light in the glovebox & also had lit interior door handles so at night you could easily see the lever to pull to open your door. Then, every year, Ford kept cutting things out. My year had neither of those nice "luxury" touches. I was able to re-content the handle lights but the glovebox light I couldn't do cheaply.

My point is, that was in a $23k Ford. We're talking Cadillacs that go $31k to $50k. The glovebox is big enough for sunglasses, a map, directions, tire gauge, tissue pack, chap stick, gloves... which means, it should be lit! My cousin who is a car buff and owns an IS300 noticed all this cost cutting; this is no way to convert people back to GM.

Oh. Why does the rear seat overhead light not have a switch that the rear seat occupants can use to turn it on?!? My parent's Alero has this, my Contour has this, their Century had this, my Cutlass Supreme, etc. Not putting in a basic toggle switch saved 'em $1 and left Olds' owners scratching their heads. :(

v8lncolnguy: you're almost right about Accords having locking fuel doors. What you should have said is that previous generation Civics had locking fuel doors. :(

Brian
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    What bothers me more than absence of lights in the glove compartment and gas door locks is the absence of a valet key for the glove compartment and trunk. When I leave my car with the valet at a hotel or restaurant I have no way of being sure that no one has gone through my trunk while in posession of the car. Anyone who can get in the car can push the button to open the trunk, or drop the folding rear seatback. My wife's Honda Accord has more security. This is something that bothers me with every trip I take.
    bingoman that's a great point. I did notice in my test drive mule a pair of small, gold toned keys lying in the front cupholder. I assumed those were for the glove box, but I didn't try them. With the older GM setup where the trunk was a separate key from ignition, you could flip a switch inside the trunk lid and then the interior button would be deactivated.

Brian
  • lesstl1lesstl1 Member Posts: 21
    All the posts in this area seem to agree that Cadillac and GM have significantly improved their image over the past several years. This was brought home to me over the weekend in a very graphic way. I was walking to my 03 CTS in a public parking lot in the Midwest. A young couple asked me if I owned that CTS and if they could look at it. The young man asked how I liked it and could he sit inside. I allowed him to do so (in retrospect, I probably should have not done that. He told me he was 20 and really wanted to own a CTS. He knew all about the current engines, transmissions, and the V-series. He had all the enthusiasm and desire to own one - all he lacked was the money. This reminded me of many young teenagers in the past that lusted after Corvettes or other similar sports cars. But here is a young 20-something that is lusting after a Cadillac, and a 4-door sedan at that! Who could have imagined that conversation taking place just 3 years ago? Cadillac and GM are doing something right. Just keep up the good work and pay attention to the complaints. PS, I love my CTS.
    I just turned 28, and have wanted the CTS ever since it came out. I pour over its technicals daily. :) I am also fortunate enough to be able to afford one. So yes, GM is on the right track. I'm really hoping the '05 has a few extras too that will help ice the cake. In my book it's a triple right now. Give me that 6M tranny (already coming), give me a few minor luxury items (see above, a couple $2 bulbs), and eliminate plastic noises from the dash (a few dollars of fasteners or felt insulation) and it's a home run.
    I did just submit feedback of my 24 hour drive to GM from their web site, I truly hope they take it seriously. There's been about 11 GM's in my family in the past two decades, all good cars. I would like nothing better than to see GM succeed in its revitalization.

Brian
    I'm also 28 and have admired the CTS since it came out. I'll confess, I've always liked Cadillacs, even when their cars were more "ride" oriented. But the CTS really seems to hit the mark for the younger demographic. Many of my friends are also well aware of the CTS(and the V) and really like the car. There is a young woman(I'm guessing she's mid to late 20s) who lives near me that drives a Diamond White CTS. I see her in it quite often. Now thats my kind of girl:) The latest issue of MT has a frontal pic of the 05 STS. For those who think the CTS is a bit too edgy looking, the STS should please them. It still has the distinctive "art and science" look, but is softened a bit.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    I am a little older than you guys, but have also wanted a CTS since they came out. I would love a V but a little pricey with kids. So, I am patiently waiting for the manual with the 3.6. That should be a blast. I think the STS looks good from the pictures release so far. Hopefully the interior is nicer than the CTS. We will find out in a month or so.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,495
    posts help explain why the CTS appears to be gaining strength in the market while my car (Lincoln LS) is not.

I could be wrong. Does anyone have the 2003 sales numbers for the two cars, plus the first two months of this year? I have a theory regarding the results, but I'll await actual data.

The interesting thing is that Cadillac has introduced additional models of the CTS, while Lincoln continues to sell the LS to people who need something smaller than a Town Car to park.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Last year's CTS sales were just short of 50,000.
    Double what Cadillac thought it would sell.

February 2004 sales were 4800. 36% more than last year!

SRX was up 52% over January at 2283.

Cadillac is absolutley blowing Lincoln out of the water at this point.
  • wybeswybes Member Posts: 9
    When I test drove the CTS, I probably spent half an hour looking for the gas cap door release. Finally I just tried opening it and found it opened. No lock. That too surprised me but I noticed a lot of high end cars at the Chicago Auto show also didn't have locking gas cap doors. A light would be nice in the glove compartment if there was enough room to actually store things other then the owners manual. I'd rather see a light in the center console.
    LS sales are 4837 for Jan/Feb versus 8116 for CTS.

Don't forget that the LS sold well over 50,000 units each of it's first 2 years also. I'd say the CTS is exactly where the LS was at the same point in it's model life. If the CTS can maintain 50K/yr beyond the first 2 years THEN it can claim bragging rights. Until then it looks like a dead heat to me.
    Cadillac car sales are actually down from last year. But truck sales are up.

The only reason cars sales are down is because the Seville has been discontinued and the deville's sales are off.
    No matter how good CTS's sales are it can make up for both the deville and the Seville.

Here are the diferences in production for Lincoln and Cadillac.

Lincoln: 27,000 vehicles built this year.
    Cadillac: 42,000 vehicles built this year.

Lincoln: 2,000 vehicles less than last year.
    Cadillac: 6,000 vehicles more than last year.

Granted some of those Cadillacs are being built for Overseas
    sales, but the momentum is with Cadillac.

I remember a Ford Executive who said 2 years ago that he didn't
    think there was a business case for GM to be pouring as much money
    into Cadillac as it was over the next couple of years.

How wrong he was.
    Cadillac has lots of new models, and that's good. Lincoln doesn't and that's not good.

Caddy has spent a fortune on new models and advertising. You don't recover the R&D costs of a new platform in a year or two of good sales. They're on the right track but it will be another couple of years of sustained sales before you can really say whether the huge investment paid off. Another key is to keep refreshing the product (e.g. 3.6L engine and CTS-V). If not sales will definitely drop.
    Since a locking gas cap door and glove box lighting seem to be a major requirement for purchasing . What other high end cars did you notice lacking a locking gas cap door at the Chicago show . Maybe the locking gas cap door is no longer considered vogue in luxury models?
    As a current LS owner(and a fan of the car) Lincoln's biggest problem is they have let the price of the LS sky rocket(although the rebates make it attainable at a very reasonable price) and there is little or no advertising for the car. As akirby said, the LS was selling at the 50K annually rate for the first couple of years and then began to drop off. While 03s got a significant upgrade, the MSRP of them also went up and as you said, Lincoln seemed to start pitching these cars more at the T-car crowd who wants something smaller. Remember the LS ads from 2000 and early 2001? They actually promoted the car's performance side a bit. The last LS ad I remember seeing seemed to focus more on the car's available THX audio system them the performance capabilities of the car. It doesn't hurt that Lincoln isn't rolling out new product at a very fast rate either. If Cadillac will keep the CTS's price at realistic levels(and not inflate it just to discount it) and continue to offer refinements to the car, they can sustain the rate they are currently selling them at. BMW has no trouble doing this.
    and glove box lights are "major" requirements, but, it's disappointing that they are lacking at this price point.

Let me ask this of the CTS owners here: Do the rear seat passengers have a reading light they can control? I definitely remember the center overhead light back there not having a switch on it. I can't remember if there were "outboard" lights by the doors. If "no", can the driver turn on ONLY the rear light? I don't remember that ability.
    Not having proper reading lights in the back seat = another example of something that every car over $20k seems to have these days but the CTS lacks.

Is it a "major" requirement? No, just very disappointing.

Brian
  • necrosnecros Member Posts: 127
    I'll never stop being amzed by what people consider to be necessities in their cars. A locking gas cap? Separate reading lights for rear set passengers? A glove box light in a glove box too small to hold anything but the owners' manual?

I guess this why front wheel drive, poor handling cars with lots of gizmos in them sell in this country. A decent amount of comfort is nice, but to pick a car because of the gizmos seems odd. I find locking gas gaps to be more of an annoyance than anything else, and can't ever remember a time when people in my back seat needed their own reading lights. It's a CTS, not a minivan.

Anyway, I also heard a comment about "plastic noises" from the dash. I don't have any squeaks and rattles in my dash (@ 27K miles). Was this a test drive car you heard them in? I find the CTS to be very well buttoned up.

Oh, and last but not least, I FINALLY got my cluster replaced yesterday to fix the out-of-sync clock problem. Now the backlights from the needles hit me in the eye from about 20-50 mph, so it's going back in on Monday. Grrr...
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    necros,

I had my cluster on my 03 CTS replaced about six months ago to correct the clock sync problem. The new cluster solved my problem for about six months, I noticed recently that my clocks are out of sync again. I will probably just live with the problem this time. Other than the sync problem, I have had no other problems with my CTS (25,000 miles), still solid as a rock.

BULBS/GIZMOS: The CTS was built to be driven hard, not to drive somebody around while they are reading a book or picking their nose in the back seat.
    Bought a SRX today instead!