Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• mannytrannymannytranny Posts: 175
    I am waiting for less humidity, lower dewpoint.
         I live in PENNSYLVANIA! That's my defintion of lower humidity. LOL
  • batmansctsbatmanscts Posts: 63
    Leg Room:
        Rich, thanks for the gracious admission that I was correct about the difference in the leg room in the CTS compared to the STS. I'm sorry that this discussion forced you to admit that you are a "left foot braker". I hope you can get treatment and recover. ;>) I'm envious of your "best buddy" relationship.

Sheds: Covenants = No Sheds :(

Humidity Discussion: Makes me even more happy that I live in Colorado. FL, PA, and SC are nice, but you can have the humidity (whether or not there is any relevance to car problems). :)

Radios/Sound Systems: I have the Bose system in my CTS (simply because it was in the car that I found that I liked.) Perhaps it is okay, but I wouldn't pay the ~ $1,200 for it if I had the choice to exclude it. My 99 Bravada and my wifes's 97 Honda Accord systems sound just as good to me as the Bose system in my CTS. If you don't have a tin ear and monotone voice as I do, the sound system upgrade might be worth the money to you.

Cheers!!
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    The serive department waiting room at my Olds dealer is pure retirement home city:) Remember, I'm 28 so when I'm in there, I'm usually the youngest by a good 30 years. The dealer is an Olds/GMC(they also now have Buick) dealership and occasionally there will be a 30 or 40 something who has their SUV in for service and will be waiting in there. I will say, some of those "older" customers are very easy to talk with and they are love their Oldsmobiles and Buicks. When the weather is nice, I typically stroll the lot or the showroom.

b4z, the CTS's transmission was a dream. You bet I tried the sport mode(and the winter mode). The sport mode was pretty neat. I could tell a difference in the shift points. Today after retunring the CTS, I pondered over what an Intrigue with it's 3.5 liter engine would have been like if it had a transmission like the CTS has.

sda, the Bose system in my Intrigue is clearly better. The CTS's base audio system was not bad, but when I cranked some 80s "hair band" CDs it lacked something. Bass response was pretty good, it seemed that the clarity was just not as good as with the Bose. Overall it was not a bad sounding system and I could esily live it, but between the Bose system in the Intrigue and the CTS's base system, the Bose system does sound better. But it was also an extra $500 option. One nice thing about the CTS's audio system is it has a midrange adjustment. Most car audio systems just have bass and treble. At 70 MPH on the freeway the CTS's cabin was also much quieter than the Intrigue's. There is no exhaust noise and very little road noise. What you hear is pretty much engine noise and the wind rushing by the windows. This is so much unlike the Intrigue where alot of noise seems to be road noise coming from the floorpan area.
    I've lived in East TN nearly all my life so I am used to hot and humid summers. In fact, late July and August probably wouldn't seem right if it weren't hot and muggy. And since this is a CTS forum, I'll tie it in by saying the CTS's A/C had no problem dealing with it. Maybe it was since the car was a cooler color(cashmere versus my black Intrigue), but my Intrigue's A/C has never blown air as cold as the CTS did. I've always heard that Cadillacs have good A/C and I guess the CTS is just carrying that tradition on:)
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Posts: 486
    Well, I'm in middle TN (Nashville) and I agree; there's nothing like July/August in this part of the country for heat & humidity. That being said, the CTS' climate control generally has most heat beat within a minute and the worse in 2 minutes. That's very nice in anyone's book.
  • tvdirectvdirec Posts: 22
      Had my '03 CTS in for it's second oil change (7075 miles). Had the tires rotated and fluid levels checked as well.
      Returning home I washed the car and noticed someone had hit me with their car door on my passenger side. Scratched paint off and left their color blue on my car. Boy, was I pi**ed. Can you buy touchup paint in the color of the car from the dealer? I've never tried to do that before.
      As for age...I'm 48 and in the dealer waiting room today were guys older than me. Haven't seen drivers in their late 20's/early 30's in my area.
      Also, anyone know of a really good wheel cleaner? After about 10 days my car has heavy brake dust on the front wheels.
      The car runs great and the Bose system is fantastic. XMSR rules too!
    Does your CTS have the factory installed XM radio or aftermarket? I've had XM radio since November 2001 and love it. I've got an aftermarket system(Sony plug n play) in my Intrigue, but would like to have the factory system in my next car. I can't hardly imagine doing a road trip without XM. As for the chip in your paint, you should be able to get a tube of touch-up paint from the parts department.
    I have the same Sony plug n play you must have. I waited and waited last fall for Cadillac to offer XM factory installed and they kept putting it off. So, I decided to buy the car and put the radio in myself. My next car will have it factory installed as well. I'll give the parts department a call on Friday. Thanks for the help.
    To date, I haven't seen a CTS with an XM antenna so I really wonder if any 03s actually have it. Also, on the 03s, you had to get the Navigation system radio to get XM on a CTS. This seems to be corrected for 04 as XM is a stand alone option. And it doesn't even require one of the option packages to get it.
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Posts: 486
    My wife recently had an accident in a parking deck where she inflicted what looked like a "bear scratch" on the left rear side of my car (about 6"x9"). There were also a couple of very small dents. My local Cadillac dealer's body shop charged me $600 for the whole thing and you really can't tell the difference. The cost of having a good place fix it professionally may not be as bad as you think. And it'll make a big difference in the resale value of the car.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    My dealer just got in a silver smoke car and it is grey.
    Pure and simple.
    I thought it would be a dark silver with a lot of metallics in it or a mist clear coat.
    It appears to be the same color that Cadillac used on the late 80's early 90's sedan deVilles.
    Since there was one on the lot that looked to have the identical paint color.
    Oh well, it looks good anyway.
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Posts: 535
    When is Cadillac going to formally introduce the 04 CTS and change it's buypower website ?
  • redgtconvredgtconv Posts: 46
    I called the executive offices of GM today to try to get to the details on whether or not there is a hold on the PDX sports package. The answer is YES, but only on the 1SA & 1SB cars. They are currently shipping 1SC cars with the sports package.
    The reason is a parts shortage, and since the only part that is different is the wheel, that is the part they are waiting for. These wheels were redesigned this year, and they only have the polished ones that come with the 1SC package. The painted ones which come on the 1SA & 1SB are the ones missing. They said they are expecting to have these by Aug. 15th and will begin production immediately thereafter
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Posts: 202
    j1205/mannytranny,

I have the bose system and notice a pop when I tap my brakes. I only get the pop when I am listening to a distant radio station. When I am listening to a local AM or FM I don't experience the problem. I also have my radio set for distant reception. I am not sure if I am going to go to dealer with this problem or just live with it.
    Thats great . There will be a lot of polished wheel versions out there
  • mcgreenxmcgreenx Posts: 179
    I couldn't agree more. XM is a must on a long road trip, or commuting to work, as I do. I've written here before that I have the Delphi SkyFi, which has a removable module that I can take into the house and play through a stereo. I don't do it often, but it's a nice bit of flexibility. I have another in my office and it's on 8 hours a day, music, news or comedy tracks.

On another subject, had my rear "lamp," the moisture filled license surround, replaced. The invoice referred to "condensation/moisture" so I assume it was not a leak of rain water, but an air leak in the seal that permitted moisture laden air to get in and condense moisture on the inside when the temperature dropped. In any event, I now have a new one and it looks good.

I'm close to 18K in 10 1/2 months.
  • automoleautomole Posts: 154
    mcgreenx,
    What kind of antenna do you need for the satellite radio? I noticed an ugly antenna is standard equipment on the CTS with the XM option. I'm thinking that the Delphi SkyFi would be a better option if I could avoid that antenna.
  • manuelmanuel Posts: 13
    I'm glad to hear reports like oldsman01's on his first experience with the CTS, it just goes to show that GM can and will finally build cars that completely satisfy their drivers. Anyways to the real point in posting this message, I recently saw an '04 CTS driving around downtown Chicago. I could tell that it was an '04 because it had the awesome new rims and a beautiful new color that truly shines on the CTS, it's a very light shade of blue that i would describe as mist, but it just looked fantastic with the new rims. Congrats GM! It seems as though you finally are getting better at picking wheel designs!
    mcgreenx,

After a hard rain or when I wash my CTS, I get moisture around the outer lip of my rear lamp. When I first noticed the moisture I thought it was getting inside my lamp. It looks as if the seal is inset approx. 1/4 inch from the outer edge of the lamp. Thus far I see no moisture collecting inside the seal. Did your leak start off gradual and then get worse? I am wondering if I am going to eventually have moisture inside the seal area. Does anybody else out there in post land notice this moisture?
    shortly after I picked up my CTS it had a moisture problem probably because it was outside in the dealers lot . Since I bought it it is garaged and I dont drive it in the rain ( i will take my truck)it did dry out I would see it when i washed it ....the clear backup light section would fog up . I am bringing the car in Monday to have the part replaced. I washed the car today and it didn't fog ..... figures
      other issues,
     I think I hear a strange noise in fifth gear (manual) and finally I think the starter drive is staying engaged too long after the engine fires .
    There are a fairly large number of posts about moisture in the backup lamp housing, sometimes referred to here at the "license plate surround." I don't know when the correction was made, but it is known that a supplier apparently delivered defectively sealed units. When I first noticed it, there was a good deal of moisture condensate inside, so I don't know when it started or how it developed.
    Here are two links to the XM radio site, showing the Delphi radio and accessories. The magnetic antenna is the black tear-shaped object on the "accessory" page. I have mine mounted over the driver's head, about two or three inches behind the windshield and about six inches from the top door cutout, if that makes sense. The wire fits invisibly into the windshield seal and down the side, entering the cabin under the dash. Only the two or three inches behind the windshield are visible, and I have had no problems taking the car through an automatic wash (with brushes).

http://www.xmradio.com/catalog/product_detail.jsp?id=28449&ty- - - - pe=Tuner
    http://www.xmradio.com/catalog/product_detail.jsp?id=28447&ty- - - - pe=Accessory

I posted photos of my installation in post #2587 but it doesn't show the antenna. I use the cassette interface for two reasons, first, I didn't want to chance having the FM modulator http://www.xmradio.com/catalog/product_detail.jsp?id=28448&ty- pe=Accessory interfere with the OnStar set up, and second, I believe that when the modulator is selected (assuming it doesn't interfere with OnStar) you can't cycle through all inputs, e.g., tape-XM, CD, FM, AM, without deselecting the modulator, and I scan through the several audio sources with regularity.

Here is a page on antennas, but the Delphi antenna comes included with it, as I suspect most do, so you would be duplicating some cost if you buy an additional antenna.
     http://www.xmradio.com/catalog/product_category.jsp?type=Antenna
  • automoleautomole Posts: 154
    WOW! Thanks for the detailed info and links...I'll definitely be considering XM radio!
    Oldsman01
    I've placed my XM antenna on the right side of my trunk. It's a magnetic mount and is very small and not that visible. I then ran the cable through the rear seat trunk opening up to the front of the car.

Sevenfeet0
    Mine is just a small "nick". Not even a half-inch wide. A little rubbing compound and touchup paint should do the trick for me.

mcgreenx
    I love XM satellite radio. I have the Sony plug 'n play so I can take it from my car into the house. Had to buy two separate adaptor packages for each but I love the sound quality and the variety that XM provides. I also use the cassette instead of the FM modulator. Haven't had any problems with it.
    Went by my local Cadillac dealer today and noticed two 2004 CTS's on the lot. I was surprised that the highway mileage rating was 28 mpg versus 26 on the 2003's. The city rating was the same for the 2003 and 2004. With the larger engine on the 04's, I am a little surprised to see the higher rating.
  • cu95cu95 Posts: 96
    Someone who knows better than I can correct me, but I think improved mpg is a attribute typical of variable valve timing, which the new engine has and the old does not.
  • rob35ctsrob35cts Posts: 53
    I get 28 highway all the time with my o3 so I am not sure if the o4 really gets better mileage.
  • rwisemrwisem Posts: 96
    The higher torque rating of the new 3.6 may allow the use of a taller rear axle ratio, resulting in the better hwy mileage rating.
  • redgtconvredgtconv Posts: 46
    Not only is the new 3.6L rated higher in gas mileage, but it uses regular 87 octane gas.
    it's the name of the game wait to see what they do for 05!!