Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• Well, I haven't even taken delivery yet, but I will mention to my dealer this week. I am curious to know if many people have complained and what if anything Cadillac will do. I am going to be leasing the car, so I certainly don't want GM to try to charge me for the seat if it's all stretched out by the time I return the vehicle.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    If there is a problem with the leather it is solely Cadillac's not the producer. They simply make it to Cadillac's specs.

Some of you may recall Bob Lutz's decontenting
    that started a year and half ago.
    One of his brilliant ideas was to have thinner leather glued to a vinyl surface.
    This was specifically mentioned on the Malibu.
    I don't think it was ever implemented though.

Personally, I think Cadillac should go the other way and get Connelly involved. perhaps a complete Connelly package. It would be great for marketing.
    Sort of like lexus's involvement with Coach.
    I don't have enough experience with leather to be a judge of what is high quality.
    Perhaps someone can steer (no pun intended) us to a site that has all the ins and outs of leather tanning and dying, etc.
    Lexus offers a analine leather in the LS 430 that is softer.
    Mercury offers a glove soft leather in the Marauder that is really nice.
    When I had my Intrigue some of the people complained about the quality of the leather. Saying it looked too much like vinyl.
    It turns out a Olds engineer "harlanc", was a regular on that thread and he told us it looked like that because it was actually a higher grade of leather.
    The natural look leather that is available on the M3 is beautiful to my eyes.
    Maybe someone can clue us in on what makes great leather.
  • automoleautomole Posts: 154
    Yes, I had the tag attached to the my new car. I haven't bothered mentioning it to Cadillac because I don't imagine they can do anything about it other than replace the seats...I would guess the new ones would stretch out just the same.

The leather IS high quality in my opinion. GM just chose to go with the perforated leather and THAT's the problem. They should have either pre-stretched the leather better or gone with a higher grade (thicker) for the seat bottom and back.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Posts: 202
    If you did not sit in your driver's seat for approx. three days the stretched leather would contract. I noticed this on my passenger side when I had nobody sitting in the seat for about three days. Obviously the reality is daily driving and the contraction never gets a chance to take place.
    How about some lamb's wool seatcovers.
    They were very popular years ago.
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Posts: 535
    If Lutz's goal is to decontent all Cadillacs , then Lutz is a PU-- . If he takes Cadillac down the Cimarron road Cadillac is doomed
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    I've found the quality of leather in Cadillacs to be some of the best available on any production car. Much better than what is used in my Intrigue. Both the SLS I had as rental for a week last summer and the CTS I had for the 24 hour test drive had very good leather. I did not look for a butt print on the seat though. However, all this talk of it has made me check my Intrigue for one and I can see no such print. But in the Intrigue, there is a seem right in the middle of the seat whereas I think the CTS has no such seem. Also, the Intrigue's cushion is rather hard where the CTS's seems a bit softer.
  • rob35ctsrob35cts Posts: 53
    When I took ownership of my cts the guys who cleaned it put their knee in the back seat when cleaning the back window. It left a mark for about 2 weeks. That was in a solid leather spot.
  • Are all cadillac dealerships a part of GM Buy Power? The reason I ask, is because I have a small caddy dealership (Alpine cadillac in Brooklyn) 1/2 a mile away and its not listed on the Buy Power site.
  • You mentioned a couple of times that there were no DOC fees with the Gm in the Driveway certificate. I looked on the site and couldn't find any information on that. Where did you see that? I need some ammunition just in case the dealer hassles me about that.
  • Do I have to pay taxes on the sale price - trade in of the vehicle or the total sale price in NY if I trade in my car? I'm just trying to figure out if its worth it to trade in or just sell to a private party.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Great article. The V just makes mouth water.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Posts: 1,057
    Some dealers are NOT on GM Buypower..sad but true.
    Some dealers will NOT do GM employee/family, coupon deals either. They don't have too.
    Last year NO dealer near me would do GM deal on a new CTS, So I got a new Deville instead......BUMMER! I wanted one BAD!

The dealer Gen. mgr. will show you the GM "rule book" on employee/retiree purchases as far as adv. fee and DOC fee.
    I paid NO DOC ($40 max. in NY) on my Deville last year. Neither did my cousins who just purchased a T-B and a Vibe with the family deal.

IN NY.. tax is computed on sale price, minus trade (if any).....Then rebate (if any), loyalty bonus, GM card points etc. is deducted
  • sonjaabsonjaab Posts: 1,057
    I have read in some brochures (most makes) Leather is ONLY on the seating surfaces.
    The rest is just plain ol' vinal (spl)!
    ...........geo
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    I really want that car! And Morris's job. You think he needs an assistant? That is probably the best review of the CTS-V yet. I wonder if one buys a CTS-V if Cadillac will throw in a european "break-in" package similar to the european delivery program the fancy euro brands offer. The european break-in package would include shipping the car to Germany so you could spend a day on the "ring" learning just what all your new baby will do. Heck, I'd pay for the hotel room if they did that:) Better yet, lets build our own version of the ring here in the US. It looks as if we are finally going to have some cars that are perfectly capable of tackling it.
    He is too busy driving around the 'Ring to hang out with us!
    Huge class action lawsuit back around 1984.
    Customer found out that Nissan was only putting leather on the seating surface. Everything else was vinyl. Nissan lost.

Since then most automakers are using embossed vinyl everywhere else on the seat.
    And have to disclose that.
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    You have to take a course to be in Buy Power, maybe your dealer hasn't completed it yet. I'm still working on it myself, just got here a week ago.

You can still contact the dealer via their website as long as they have one.
    Did you guys notice the cooling fins on the differential housing?
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    maybe no euro-delivery package but I'm sure you drive the new CTSv all over Detroit if you want to.......
  • jemillerjemiller Posts: 183
    I think I need to go apply for that apprentice tire-duster job at GMPD.

Skip-shift? Hopefully there'll be a skip-shift-killer plug released about fifteen minutes after the V-car hits the showrooms.

Nivomat? Say it isn't so...IIRC it's been an expensive, dubiously-reliable PITA on just about everything it's ever been on. I'd have sooner seen GMPD spend the money on some adjustable thigh bolsters on the seats, or something other than a pedal-type parking brake - the whole world of CTS-V driving country isn't Midwest-flat.
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Posts: 535
    It seems like the CTS is being produced in sufficent # for an aftermarket market . I havent seen to much . Am I missing something ?
  • mbdalembdale Posts: 4
    I AM INTERESTED TO LEARN IF THERE ARE ANY MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH THE 2003 CTS.

MOST NEW FIRST YEAR AUTOMOBILES HAVE SEVERAL TECHNICAL PROBLEMS THAT ARE USUALLY FIXED FOR THE SECOND YEAR MODEL.

PLEASE ADVISE.
    Could you please repeat your post, I had the stereo on and couldn't hear you.

Just kidding.

Leaks into the floorboards.
    Clocks not synching.

Whatelse guys?
  • automoleautomole Posts: 154
    SOME OWNERS HAVE COMPLAINED ABOUT A LEAKING REAR LICENSE BEZEL AND PROBLEMS WITH THE GAS FILLER TUBE. THERE ALSO IS THE OBVIOUS ISSUE WITH THE SEAT LEATHER STRETCHING (IF YOU'VE READ THE RECENT POSTS) AND A RECALL CONCERNING THE NEED TO CHECK THE TORQUE ON A COUPLE OF THE STEERING BOLTS. THE MOST UNIQUE AND ANNOYING PROBLEM IS THE EFFECT THE CTS HAS ON FUTURE CANADIAN OWNERS IN WHICH IT FORCES THEM TO TYPE IN CAPITAL LETTERS ONLY.

I DON'T THINK ANY OF THE PROBLEMS SHOULD SCARE A PERSON AWAY FROM PURCHASING A 2003...MOST ARE MINOR PROBLEMS THAT CAN EASILY BE FIXED UNDER WARRANTY.
  • eaton53eaton53 Posts: 356
    "MOST ARE MINOR PROBLEMS THAT CAN EASILY BE FIXED UNDER WARRANTY."

Or, by simply locating the caps lock... :-)