Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    WEREN'T THERE 2 PEOPLE WHO HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE
    REAREND WHINING?
    ALSO SOME OF THE MANUAL TRANS CARS HAD GEAR PROBS.

I see I am not the only on here who is easily entertained.
  • automoleautomole Posts: 154
    >Or, by simply locating the caps lock... :-)

Or by reading previous posts and being "In" on the joke ;)
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    All this shouting is keeping me awake.

;-)
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    I only had a CTS for 24 hours(courtesy of the GM 24 hour test drive), but when I was on the freeway, I had a real problem keeping at speeds near the limit. At one point when I thought I was doing about 65 or 70(judging by the level of road noise) I looked down and was doing 90. And this was in a 55 MPH zone. And this was an 03 model with the 3.2 liter engine. I can only imagine what one with the 3.6 or(gulp) the V-series is like. Speaking of the V, the issue of Autoweek FINALLY came two days ago. I have to say, that silver looks very nice. I assume the silver which is available on the V-series is the same color that regular CTSs come in as well. While blue or black still look sharper in my eye, having owned a black car for over two years now, I can attest it is a pain to keep clean. And with the 90 degree temps that we have been having lately, it can be very toasty as well. So I might actually consider a silver CTS.
  • jemillerjemiller Posts: 183
    It's the chassis tuning and sound level (aerodynamics and wind-sealing) far more than the engine that have anything to do with how comfortable a car is cruising at high speeds. A BMW 520d is a nicer 100+mph cruiser than any old musclecar.

The engine makes 80-140mph passing much nicer, though...
  • mbdalembdale Posts: 4
    Thanks for the comments - the 2003 CTS sounds excellent for a first year model.

Sorry about the capital letters only - its tough to work with one finger for most Canadians!
  • theo2709theo2709 Posts: 476
    Sorry if this has already been explained a while back, but when the 3.6L gets the manual sometime next year, will the 3.2L be discontinued? It seems that there are a number of other cars in the GM lineup that could use the 3.2L (the new Malibu comes to mind).
    3.2L will be discontinued. The 3.6L will be the Global V6.
    The last thing GM needs is a odd firing 54 degree engine that needs it's timing belts changed.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Posts: 1,057
    Better erase that post !

You know those pushrod engine haters will be carrying on how superior their belt driven OHCs are ! LOL.............

I don't mean any of you people here either !
    Just the anti GM crowd that love their drivable appliances............................geo
  • Have been reading the messages from day one and very impressed with the know how of all of you.

I am looking at two identical (except for color) demos. The one I like best has a build date of 11/13/02. The other 1/22/03. Will anyone venture an opinion on whether I should let build dates influence me? In service dates are within a month and miles are about the same.
    Is anyone that reads this forum running 18" wheels on their CTS? I just wondered what aftermarket tire size/wheel people are buying. I've found probably 20 different wheels that I like but all are 7-7.5" wide and I need at least an 8" rim if I want to use a 245/40/18 tire. All of my top choices use the smaller rim.

tetedepierre: I'd buy the one in the COLOR that you like and not worry about a build date.
    I posted several wheel sites a couple of months ago.
    There were some 8" wide wheels in there but a lot of the stuff was bling bling looking.
  • cu95cu95 Posts: 96
    tete, the one item that I can think of that might be important given those build dates are the airbags. Sometime near the end of '02 the airbags were modified resulting in better crash test results. The Jan '03 almost certainly is after the transition and even the Nov '02 likely is (Sept sticks in my mind as about when the transition occurred). There was a discussion on this board about it some time back that may be helpful if you can find it.
  • It was October of 2002 that GM made changes to the airbags, which were inflating too late, as well as other structural modifications. If you check the crash tests, you will see that prior to Oct. 2002, late inflating airbags caused head injuries and there was also leg intrusion and injury to the driver. The car was re-tested after October 2002 and became a "Best Pick" for safety.
    So the key date would be Oct. 2002.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    I've been following this thread since it started probably 2 years ago(I think it got started by some spy shots of the CTS caught during filming of the Matrix Reloaded) and have been very impressed with the few recurring problems that owners have experienced. Not all bad for the first year of a totally new design which was built at a totally new assembly center.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    The 3.2 litre engine in the new Opel Vectra GSi (malibu, except it wasn't hit with an ugly stick) is a downsized version of the new 60 degree GM v6. The new 3.2 that will be put into some of GM's new models here in the US will be a 60 degree v6 with a TIMING CHAIN.
  • jemillerjemiller Posts: 183
    The 3.2 in the Vectra is the 54-degree British-built Opel engine, just like the CTS.

The 3.6 gets all kinds of good stuff, from continuously-variable cam timing on both cams to chain cam drive etc.

If and when they do a smaller version, it might show up in the Vectra, but I doubt GM cares that much because the gas V6 will probably account for 0.01% of Euro-market Vectra sales anyway.

The vast majority will be diesels, and the remainder will be smaller gas engines.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Posts: 1,057
    I like that....lexus 300 sales DOWN 12.2%

Caddy (or CTS) up 69%.............WOW
  • I read on the AP that the power was out in Lansing Michigan. Is power restored yet? I know in New York City power was restored in the early morning.
  • tyler80tyler80 Posts: 20
    Lansing State Journal discussing 'power on' statis. Does not specificially discuss LGR Plant Statis.

http://www.lsj.com/news/local/030815webupdate_powercompan.html
  • pecclespeccles Posts: 52
    >>Sorry if this has already been explained a while
    >>back, but when the 3.6L gets the manual sometime
    >>next year, will the 3.2L be discontinued? It seems
    >>that there are a number of other cars in the GM
    >>lineup that could use the 3.2L (the new Malibu
    >>comes to mind).

The 3.6L (High Feature) will be the only choice.
    The Malibu gets the new High Value 3.5L rated at
    200HP/220 ft-lbs. Excellent fuel economy with
    this 3.5L. The '04 Malibu is EPA rated 32/23
    mated to a 4 speed automatic. The CTS 3.6L
    should have better fuel economy than it does.
    26/18 is pretty low. That's the same as the BMW
    4.4L V8 on the 745i.
    -Thanks for the heads-up on your previous post. I did a search and found the link to the Ronal wheels you posted.

As I've said, I've found plenty of 7.5" wide 18" wheels I like but no 8" wide rims.

The other problem I'm having is the "bling bling". Many of the wheels look too "bling bling" as you said, and the other ones look to classic muscle car and/or like they should be on some kid's Honda. I want something in-between...a touch of bling w/ a little bit of muscle and sharp angles to go with the CTS's design.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    BETTER DOUBLE CHECK THAT VECTRA STAT. I'M PRETTY SURE THE new VECTRA HAS THE NEW UPDATED 60 DEGREE GLOBAL DESIGN. I'LL GO BACK AND DOUBLE CHECK THAT. THE OLD VECTRA HAS THE 54 DEGREE MILL BUT THE BRAND NEW VECTRA I THINK HAS THE NEW 3.2 60 DEGREE ONE. IT IS EVEN REFERRED TO AS THE ECOTEC.
  • eaton53eaton53 Posts: 356
    Check this out.... I think it would look awesome on a CTS.

http://www.bestbuywheels.com/boze/stinger.htm

Not cheap, though!!
  • Time to go look up the CTS's value on a future trade??????
    Kelly has the CTS 2003 finally posted.I am pleasantly surprised at the higher than expected trade in value at least on my check with my options. . Manual or auto seems to make no difference.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Michigan is in bad shape for power. Here in Ontario it's better but all auto plants were down to conserve power from what I have heard. Only about 2/3 of people here have power even now.
  • calicadicalicadi Posts: 87
    Now that the story of the -V is coming out, I'm consumed by the possibility I could own one. I love driving my CTS. It has had none of the little glitches others have written about other than slight condensation in the rear bezel (that has not re occurred since late spring). And I just turned over 7300 miles at the one year anniversary of ownership (got the little greeting card from HQ the other day). Resale should be excellent right now. Given all this I could easily convince myself I'm an idiot if I don't run out and buy a -V as soon as they arrive. All especially true after reading those articles and seeing the finished product on the course. Arrrgh! Someone help! Am I insane to even consider this???
    It was only a matter of time.
    CTS-V will be campaigned and factory supported in SCCA racing next year!!
    Look out Audi and BMW.
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Posts: 535
    Do you mean ostentatious or with opulence. I guess "bling bling "is for those with poor language skills.