Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• bingomanbingoman Posts: 373
    When I had my car serviced about a month ago, including a tire and balance, with 14,000 miles, I had to replace one tire because of a strange cut or damage on the inside exterior sidewall reported to me by the service department (I did not see the actual damage as the service people had the tire replaced at a tire dealer near the Cadillac shop with which I had previously done business. In fact they had installed the tire pressure sensors in the CTS tire for me just after I bought the car.) I wonder if this was caused by an action similar to that which damaged the tires on jeff06's car. I shall have to watch the tires carefully in the future.
  • ctsjerryctsjerry Posts: 94
    What does that mean guys? Please explain. Do you mean the inboard side (backside not visible side) of the side walls, or the outboard side (visible side) of the side walls? My outboard or visible portion of my tires look great thus far. For reference, I have the Luxury Sport with the 17" V High Speed Rated tires. Thanks for the interesting post. We all should check. -Jer:>)
  • cu95cu95 Posts: 96
    Ok, I'm NOT crazy, well, at least as far as OnStar is concerned. I was certain that I had read in the OnStar manual that it could be used with automated systems but I couldn't find it the other night. Turns out that the two OnStar manuals I have (one was handed to me by the salesperson with the some other paperwork, the other was in my trunk when I took delivery) are different versions. Looking at the other manual, this is what you do (for those who don't have this info):
    1. While in a call, press the Talk button (the talking head on the steering wheel), which puts your call on mute; OnStar will ask for a number.
    2. Say the number(s) (OnStar will repeat each one after you say it) --saying "pound" for # and "star" for *-- and when done say "Dial" (btw, you cannot use a nametag to send a string of numbers, you must recite the numbers).
    3. OnStar will then send the number(s) to the automated system and you'll be returned to your call.
    4. Repeat as necessary.
    The interior of the tire is where the air is, the exterior is the outside of the tire. The outside sidewall is the side of the tire you see when you are outside the car and looking at it. The inside sidewall is the side of the tire facing the middle of the car. I hope this clears up everything.
  • rstephrsteph Posts: 109
    Where I live, I've found there is air both in the interior as well as the exterior of the tire. Even though I can't see it, I'm fairly certain it exists in both places. (Ok Ok Ok...I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.)
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Posts: 535
    wow lots of confusion over interior /exterior LOL . I will keep an eye on my 17" Goodyears .
  • mannytrannymannytranny Posts: 175
    What do the manuals look like? All I recieved was a brochure packet in the mail from OnStar about 3 weeks after I bought the CTS.It had a window sticker and a laminated OnStar info card inside. That's all. I never got anything from the dealer. I was told that the info is in the CTS owner's manual.
        I will go back and ask the dealer for the "manual" once I know what to ask for. Thanks!
    It's called "OnStar Owner's Guide". It came in a thin navy blue box/envelope (9L x 4.5W x .5H) that also says "OnStar Owner's Guide" on it. Inside the box was the Guide, a quick reference card (sounds like you got that or something like it) and two OnStar stickers for the car's windows. The box is labelled part # 12451373.
  • thebugthebug Posts: 294
    Anyone: Are the 17" tires wider than the base 16's?

cu95: In post 2922, regarding the use of OnStar, are you saying that you can pause an in progress call to add the digits for an automated, (you know press 1 for this and 2 for that) system? If so, that's cool. So far if I call into an automated system, (I've only encountered one, my office number) it will automatically transfer me to the operator (which is very time consuming) without offering the usual prompt. Please explain further.

thebug...
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    My Intrigue came with a blue packet containing a quick reference guide and a users manual for Onstar. After it was activated, Onstar sent me a packet in the mail that contained a window sticker and a laminated card.
  • rstephrsteph Posts: 109
    Seems like I saw somewhere where the 17" tires were 1/2 inch wider than the 16". Don't quote me on it.
    OnStar finally came up with a number to issue me (only took 3 weeks.) So now I can play with it to see how it's really gonna work for me. I, too, got the blue box owners packet, complete with extra spiffy window stickers.
  • 32caddy32caddy Posts: 22
    Do you use a pull thru car wash?? And how is the car moved??
    thebug,
    Are you saying that a call via OnStar to your voicemail causes your voicemail to respond differently than a call from an ordinary phone? If that's the case, I can't guess why. What I read indicates that you should be able to use your voicemail system via OnStar. The manual even gives some example dialogues. I've scanned the pages in question, hope this helps. You can get to the image of the pages at: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/letsgored95/onstar01.jpg
    The image may only be there for a little while, so I recommend that you save the image to disk.
    The prior one should download pretty quick but image quality is so-so. Here's a higher detail greyscale version, but it may take a little bit longer to download: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/letsgored95/onstar03.jpg
    I believe (but I am not sure) that the car wash I use pushes the car via a chain pulled wheel behind the front or rear left side tire. The chain is on the outer side of the tire and the pusher wheel pushes against the back of the tread. Nothing should contact the inner side of the tire where the damage was done.

I suspect the tire was cut by a stray piece of metal on the roadway.
  • thebugthebug Posts: 294
    Thank you. I will try this in the morning.

thebug...
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Posts: 341
    first of all I wanted to say thanx to everyone, cause I love reading all of your comments about your cars, its been really helpful... I'm currently in the middle of deciding on which car to buy.. CTS, 3.5SE altima, or a MB C230 sport sedan... I like all three but I'm having trouble decidning which one to put my money into... when equiped the same there all with in a thousand dollars of each other.. (before we haggle prices) so I'm really trying to figure out which I like more... I like the interior of the CTS over the Altimas,but I like the prestiege that comes with bein an owner of a MB... could ya'll please advise me as to what to buy or look at ... thanx
    I think some people --particulary on this board-- may take exception to your prestige comment. I'm "only" thirty, but I'm an old school, American pride sort of guy. To me, Cadillac is the end-all, be-all prestige automobile. But, to each his own. [Stepping off of soapbox]

As to the cars you mentioned, I didn't consider any MBs (we own a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, so in a sense we already own one :-) ), and I only gave the Altima cursory consideration. I'd say between the two, the CTS is a driver's car that can adequately accomodate family man needs and the Altima is a family car that can adequately accomodate a driver's desires. If we didn't have the family covered with the Jeep, I'd have given a car like the Altima more consideration.
  • batmansctsbatmanscts Posts: 63
    I can't imagine a CTS owner recommending either the Altima or MB over the CTS. I looked at those cars as well as BMW 3-series, Audi, and about everything else with four wheels. To me, the CTS is the best looking and best value. I'm happy with every feature and completely satisfied with the performance.

When I looked at the small MBs, I thought my wife's 97 Accord Special Edition Coupe was a better looking car and a far better value.

I think the Altimas look great in some of their commercials, but I have yet to see one on the street that causes people to turn a stare at the car the way they do when they see my black CTS. I caught myself doing the stare last week when a Blue Onyx CTS drove through an intersection where I was stopped.

Several folks have asked questions about prices and discounts. I bought my CTS through the GM Employee Family Purchase Program. I was very pleased with the no-haggle price offered through that program (several thousand under MSRP). When my car was ready for pickup at the dealer, the salesman called and told me to bring my Honda registration papers when I came to pick up the car. They gave me another $1,500 off under a program called "Conquest" which attempts to attract owners of certain other makes to the Cadillac family. (I did not trade the Honda or anything else on the CTS). I recommend that you ask dealers about every program in effect to see if you qualify for any of them. I hadn't asked because I incorrectly thought that I wasn't eligible for other discount programs when I used the GM Family Purchase Plan.

One last comment about what to buy. While I preferred the CTS to all other cars, the way the people at the Cadillac dealership treated me compared to the way I was treated at other dealerships convinced me that I wanted to do business with them. The folks at other dealerships all seemed like the stereotypical pushy hustlers that we've all met while shopping for cars. BMW and MB salesmen were pompous and condescending. The folks at the Cadillac dealership were friendly, courteous, and treated me and my wife with respect. They have followed up with phone calls and mail several times since my purchase to ensure that we are "completely satisfied" with the car and their service. Can't ask for much more than that.
  • willngaylewillngayle Posts: 19
    Does anyone have any info on what the interior of the 04 CTS will look like? I am interested in getting a CTS but don't like the 03 interior. I read some comments on this board that the 04 model may have some changes such as more wood trim and warmth. Also the fact that the 04 will have a more powerful engine definitely interests me. Your comments are appreciated. Thanks.