Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    The more I think about it I think I'm going to wait until the 04 CTS comes out and try to get a base model as for the most part the car comes well equipped in standard form. I would like the wood trim and heated seats that require a package but can live without everything else. Since I'm single and likely the only person who will ever drive the car, memory seats really are useless(except when you take your car to a car wash and the jockeys get the seats and mirrors in all different positions). I take it blue will still be offered in 04? How about the light grey/dark grey two tone interior? Since a temp gauge has already been added all I'm really waiting on is the new engine. After seeing Fav's pictures black or blue is definitely the way I'm going with my CTS. While my current car is black and is a paid to keep clean(espeically in the rainy season we are currently experiencing) dark colors look SO GOOD when they are clean and sitting in the sun. And IMO the CTS's body style just looks better in dark colors.
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Posts: 535
    Is a temp gauge really necessary
    1. I believe that most people dont look at their gauges enough to notice a problem before it turns into an event ( your suppose to be watching the road ) .A flashing red light will be caught by peripheral vision long before a gauge -you usually see or sense over heating evidence then look down at the gauge .2 The gauge isn't a true indicator that your engine has reached proper operating temp. That is determined by the OIL reaching proper operating temp . which happens well after the coolant has reached it's thermostat controlled temp .An oil temp gauge would be better and maybe coolant temp available in the DIC. That said ,a temp gauge looks cool so why not !!! PS I just read a review on the NEW 153K Aston Martin Vantage and it raved about the analog clock on the instrument panel
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 373
    You may believe that most people don't look at their temperature gauges often enough to avoid trouble, but I believe that you are wrong. And, in any case I certainly look at my gauge, especially when I am going up a long desert hill in 110 degree summer heat. I want to know, long before the engine has overheated, what my engine heat situation is. In 15 thousand miles of driving around the country, including a number of trips across the Southern California deserts I have not yet had any trouble, but when the car has 75 or 80 thousand miles on it the situation may change, and I certainly want to know of trouble brewing in advance. Having the engine overheat light come on with no warning while in the middle of the dessert, at least 30 or 40 miles from the nearest service, on a hot summer day, does not strike me as a happy experience.
    ok I will give you an improperly maintained cooling system will eventually cause radiators tubes to narrow and give a slow temp rise to an over heating event while you travel up a steep grade in a desert. In a desert you probably need all the temperature reading you can get . Just guessing never been to one
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Posts: 486
    IMHO, if a Mercury Grand Marquis that's marketed to 70 year olds can have analog oil, water and battery gauges on the dash, then so can the CTS.
  • jemillerjemiller Posts: 183
    Please note, however, that many (most?) modern temperature gauges are 'buffered' - that is, they don't read normal variations in engine temperature, they'll have a 'cold', a 'normal', an 'overheated', and maybe a 'high normal' needle position.

What's really useful if you want to know what your engine is doing is an OIL temperature gauge.
    Saw the Matrix Reloaded this afternoon, not a bad flick at all. Lots of great effects. It was cool seeing the CTS in there but man it got shot all to hell. The car chase scene was pretty good, but I'm always amazed at how easy cars will flip in the movie. I know I know it is on purpose to create excitement just like everytime a car drives off a cliff it explodes. Speaking of car movies, there is a sequel to the Fast and the Furious(not sure if thats a good idea or not) and an "Americanized" remake of The Italian Job.
    Not to beat a dead horse on the temp gauge and whether they are 100% accurate or not is debatable but I still want one. I know that if the temp gauge on my Intrigue gets above the 1/2 mark that something is not right as it NEVER goes above that point. That would give me a little extra time to get off the freeway and get to a safe stopping place or even to a service bay. When an idiot light comes on, it is usually too late to do anything but stop. I'll give you that most people probably don't look at their temp gauge unless a warning light comes on, but I'm one of the few who does watch my gauges. And a car's instrument cluster just doesn't seem complete without at least a temp gauge.
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 373
    I for one find it very interesting that a "sport" sedan, even one with an automatic transmission, needs a tachometer, but not temperature, oil pressure or temperature, or ammeter (ampmeter) gauges. and it needs a clock, the one "gauge" of interest to passengers in a location invisible to the passengers.

The 'powers that be' in detroit have this strange on and off' thing about driver information. Years ago they replaced some of the gauges, usually oil and ammeter with idiot lights. The public howled, so they put them back in some cars and made them an extra cost option in others. Now they seem to be going back to fancy pictogram idiot lights. When I learned to drive no one had tachometers except race cars, then the hot rods adopted tachometers which where reasonable for someone trying to get the most out of a small engine with a three, or maybe four speed transmission. Then Detroit discovered tachometers. What purpose does a tachometer serve with an automatic transmission, especially a computer controlled automatic transmission.

One of the best arrangements I have ever seen was on a Chrysler in which they had a complete set of gauges and one large red idiot light which lighted when any gauge went out of the safe zone. The light was big enough to get your attention an alert you to check the gauges to see what needed attention.

Please pardon my rant, but it is good to get it off my chest, thank you.
  • mannytrannymannytranny Posts: 175
    Gauges

There I've said it! Enough...........
  • richw5richw5 Posts: 152
    I have to agree, I want an engine temp gauge on the CTS. Although our CTS has been trouble free, several of my early cars had engine cooling problems (burst water lines and damaged radiators). One Olds Cutlass had a "U" shaped water hose on the block that would burst at least once a year. I kept a spare hose and tools in the trunk. My first indication the something was wrong, was a sudden rise in the "temp gauge".

My Dad had a '57 Ford that we used to cross the desert on our first vacation to California. He adjusted his speed to the variations of the temp gauge. It worked. While others were pulled to the side of the road, to cool their engines, we just kept moving along. I learned a lot about cars and driving from my Dad, even though he was a Ford fan (just kidding, I like Fords too).

As for tach's, I like them. I tend to shift my automatic tranny's a lot. I use the engine for braking when there's a police car behind and I've been exceeding the limit. Sudden brake lights tell the Law that you've been speeding. The tach helps judge when to down shift the tranny or when not too. Occasionally, when I see that the rpm's are too high, I know I've left the tranny in the wrong gear (I do that once in a while).

I would like to see the "Outside Temperature" on the rear-view mirror. That way I could use the Driver Information Center (DIC) for other functions.

Rich
  • necrosnecros Posts: 127
    For all those who really seem to want a temp gauge, do you know what you want it to measure? Oil temp, water temp, ambient engine air temp? I'm not sure a normal temp gauge on a car these days, that doesn't really do anything except provide the driver with a fake reading (as jemiller has said), is really all that useful. I think it's more of a feel-good gauge.

If you really need to know, I'd be happy to hook you up with a discount on some Autometer gauges you can add to your car. :)
  • jemillerjemiller Posts: 183
    I agree, it's good to have, and I believe strongly in gauges that show REAL indications.

The problem Detroit (and the other automakers) have encountered is that when you put in a real gauge, 2/3 of buyers run back to their dealer crying "Why's this thing moving around so much?"

And if there's one thing automakers (particularly their dealers) aren't interested in doing, it's trying to educate their customers. Forty years of failure to educate drivers about tire pressures and we now get a tire-pressure-indicator mandate from the government.
  • trichard2trichard2 Posts: 20
    Glad to see folks talking about "no temp gauge".
    Its been my view all along that all the whining
    about no temp gauge is much ado about nothing.
    I agree with JEmiller people would freak out if " their gauge EVER went past half way . guess this prevents unnecessary trips to the service dept , I still would rather have an OIL temp gauge and coolant in the DIC with the warning light .
  • ctsjerryctsjerry Posts: 94
    Probably not, but what the heck! At home my two stock '55 Chevys both have temp gauges. They have a metal thermal link that runs from the instrument into the intake manifold. The gauge has three "dots": "Cold", "Normal" and "Hot". In 1955 this caused all sorts of problems. Customers came in asking why wasn't their gauge EXACTLY on the "Normal" dot. So in 1956 the gauge had a "Cold Dot", a "Hot Dot" and a "Normal ARC". That wide arc made everybody happy! So that is probably why Detroit and others have tried to steer away from Temp Gauges over the years. People get overly concerned when it's no big deal if the car gets a little warm. They run better and are more smog efficient when they run hotter too. So I guess I should be happy with my two clocks! Ha!
    I read the earlier post about waving to others in CTSs. He's right! I also posted something about that a week or so ago. Yes, there seems to be a bond between CTS owners that is different than owners of other makes. Similar to that of Corvette owners and those of us in the old car hobby. I think it's a response to the new Cadillac Revolution I've mentioned before. These are exciting times for Cadillac and I'm proud to be a part of this cutting-edge American styling and performance "C"-change.
    Here is a site that graphicly shows the various colors available for 2003. http://cadcts.com/
  • rstephrsteph Posts: 109
    Posed a question a while back (no replies so I'll try again) about changing the oil (how often), and oil additives. I'll add the request for comments about regular oil vs synthetic. Keep in mind that I change oil & filter, without fail, at least every 5,000 miles. I did hear that the oil filters for the CTS are hard to come by except from the dealer. This true?? For that matter (and I haven't gotten on the ground to look for it yet) is the filter easy to change on the CTS??
    Almost 4-weeks now since we've had ours and, oddly enough, we've only seen 2 others on the road in all that time. I believe that they're selling hot and fast...but apparently not around here...haha.