Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• jemillerjemiller Posts: 183
    "My original hometown is a GM town ... and 75% of the cars seem to be Buick LaSabres."

Oh Lord, that's scary. I absolutely cannot imagine that. Maybe time for a movie sequel - "The Stepford Cars"?

People move to town driving perfectly normal Hondas and BMWs, then they use the sweetener at the local Starbucks and the next thing you know they're doing 45mph in the fast lane in their LeSabre.
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Posts: 486
    for my car's scheduled maintenance (15K miles). I like a dealership that refuses to change my interior air filter (and charge me $90) because they said it wasn't dirty enough to change.

While I was waiting, I spotted one of the recent CTS builds (5/03) on the showroom floor. This one had the ebony colored dash and the new gauge cluster. For all of us older CTS owners, it's a little strange to see a water temp gauge there versus the much derided analog clock. The font of the speedo and tach is lighter than the older cars...probably so not to roast your eyes with a white backlight instead of the previous orange backlight. Personally, I saw nothing wrong with the old backlight since it matched the radio and HVAC, but somebody at GM thought that it should be changed. Maybe it does look better at night, but I haven't seen it lit up, so I can't tell.

A sidenote: my dealership in Nashville (Andrews Cadillac) sometimes gets some unusual cars in for service, usually belonging to the owner's family or a friend of theirs. There has been a early 70's Jaguar V12 E-type parked in the maintenance garage for some time.

But the real stunner was 1997 Lamborghini Diablo that someone brought in. Apparently the owner had a fire in his garage and in the haste of getting this car out (and a Ferrari), he managed to scratch the paint on the left side panel just behind the scissor doors. Normally, there's another auto mechanics shop that deals with Nashville's few exotic car owners, but they don't have a body shop and apparently State Farm send this kind of work to Andrews. They don't see a lot of these customers, but it was a blast to see such a car up close with the engine bay exposed.

While the car was there, the presiding mechanic (also from the other shop) needed to change the battery (it is a 6 year old car). Have you ever thought of where you stick a car battery in a superexotic? At least with this car, you have to:

1. Jack up the car.

2. Remove the left rear tire.

3. Remove a large metal plate between the front of the wheel well and the passenger cabin.

4. Find the battery behind the panel, and replace it with a fresh one.

5. Reverse the previous steps.

No wonder these things are so expensive to maintain. And I thought my friends who have Porsche Boxsters had it bad when it came to oil changes!
  • Hey guys, hows this car in the snow? I think thats the only thing that would stop me from getting the CTS.
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Posts: 535
    Any car is good if you put a snow tire in each corner for the winter.
    I think you answered your own question. If the electrical system works well enough and your parts sourcing is careful enough that you only need to change the battery every six years, then pulling the wheel to get to it isn't that much trouble.

(Now, Lamborghini being who they are, perhaps theconditions I've listed above are tough to swallow, but let's pretend that they DO have reliable electrical systems and DO buy quality batteries...)

If one looks at, say, the 3.2 engine in the CTS, it's most likely going to need a cam belt change sooner than that Lambo would need a battery, and I'd say there's a good bit more work involved in that.

Of course, I'm sure you can count the number of Diablos in the US with 60K miles on them on one hand.
  • thebugthebug Posts: 294
    Six years, I wish. Here in the desert southwest, you may find that the battery gets changed q 2.5 to 3 years (if you're lucky), and that's regardless of quailty. Since moving here, I've learned to only buy the average battery, and just change them q two years to be on the safe side.

The heat is murder on a battery. And we're talking about 10 months of summer. It's May 28th, and officially summer is three weeks away, and the temperature is already 110 degrees (if you ask the weather guy). The true temp is probably about 115 to 117 today.

thebug...
  • rob35ctsrob35cts Posts: 53
    Everyone look to the lover part of the clear plastic and you may see things in there. I have dug out 3 small bugs with a insurance card. They get behind the bottom edge of the plastic and the metal. Their isn't enough gap for the bug to get out. I know in time dirt will acumulate. If you cannot touch it there is no way it will continue to stay clean. I cannot believe you guys are not really bugged about that.

On another note I have a 94 c1500 extended cab pickup that is in A+++++ condition. The other day a dumb sob dropped his mower deck and shot rocks across the road. I have 10 rock chips. What makes this story even worse is that when I stopped to look things over and then talk to the guy he denied it all. In fact he told me to leave or else. I called the cops and they couldn't help. I called him on another day and he hung up. No here is the topper the sob works at the chev, cadillac dealership! Mechanic! I have real confidence in their work- Ha. I will give the dealership name to anyone interested.
    One thing about battery life - they tend to last longer in cars like BMWs, Lincoln LSes, even old Bugs where the battery is inside the car, not in the engine compartment and exposed to engine/exhaust heat.

OTOH, I had a Saab 900T that had the battery basically 1/2" from the turbocharger exhaust outlet elbow; the heat-shielding wasn't bad but still couldn't keep the battery alive for more than 18 months.
    Not here. It's just a phenomenon of the desert. I believe the ambient temperature is the culprit. Cars tend to bake (daily) here. This applies to ALL cars based in this area regardless of who manufactured it. And, it's not just the batteries.

We find (by trial and error, mostly error) that lots of fair wear and tear auto parts require replacement more frequently. The most probably being the wiper blades (at least twice a year), and hundreds usually get caught on the wrong side of the rain curve.

It's usually an August sideshow, watching all those who forgot changing their wiper blades in various auto part store parking lots while it's raining. I feel overall, good car maintenance is a must anywhere. Because of my line of work (I drive about 3k miles/mo), I tend to make repairs, or try to (routinely) long before they're due. These cost are covered by the oranization, so why not.

thebug...
  • ctsjerryctsjerry Posts: 94
    Hi all- TheBug is right. The desert heat does cause premature failures. Here in L.A. even, I seldom get more than 4 years out of my top of the line Delco or DieHard batteries. I must say that the CTS battery position is a good one. Easy to get at AND it's completely encased in a thermal box w/lid. Very nice!
    Yes, as I mentioned before, I do notice water in the 3/8" lip that runs around the Bezel edge. So far, not much dirt yet, but I do wash my CTS every weekend. When I first got my CTS there was debris in-between the spoiler/High Center Stop Light and the trunk lid. I washed it out with a stream of water and followed up with a blast from my 100 psi air nozzle. I'm keeping an eye on that area everytime I wash. Water does collect there, and streams out when the rear trunklid is opened. Drying the car is a fun task!

BTW, the High Center Stop Light is a NEON. I like that! No more burnt out individual LEDs. Way to go Cadillac! -Jer:>)
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Posts: 486
    I doubt seriously this was the Lambo's first battery change. The battery the service tech removed was an Interstate brand battery...and I doubt they're available in Italy. The new battery was again, an Interstate.
  • mannytrannymannytranny Posts: 175
    The moisture that I have is inside the bezel, the clear part (started there at first) but now after many days of showers and rain it can be seen in other red areas. It is the same as in post # 3142 by wwhite2.
         Just had my tires rotated on the CTS at my FORD dealer.
         I was at the Ford dealer for my truck when the service advisor noticed that my inspection was due in June. I said go ahead and inspect the truck. My wife stopped over in the CTS to get something from the truck and I said they were going to do a truck inspection.
         The service advisor said that they had time and could do an inspection on the CTS if I wanted because the CTS sticker, he noticed, is also due in June. Since the tech removed two opposite wheels to check the brakes, etc. he asked if I wanted the tires rotated also on the CTS and I did. The advisor charged for the state inspection on the CTS and only for half of the price of the tire rotation since it was combined with an inspection. GREAT!!!!
         Funny thing is that I was just over at the Cadillac dealer for the bezel part inspection and the advisor passed right by the sticker and he had even asked how long I had the car.That's where I bought it.
         Now who's out for service??
    Just went over to the dealer to pick up my CTS since they said yesterday that it would be ready at 5PM today, and it's not back yet. This is aggravating. At first (when researching the cost), they said it should take about three days tops. When I dropped it off for the work, they changed it to seven days.

It has now been eight days, and it still isn't ready. I wished they would just tell the truth. If it's going to take two weeks (or whatever), then by God just say it's going to take two weeks, so a person can plan accordingly. I can live with that. I just hope they don't mess up my San Diego run this weekend. It's a perfect weather situation. Just venting a bit folks.

thebug...
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    I posted this link several months ago and thought I would do it again for some of the newbies.

The CTS has 2.95 stars which is not so great, but that is better than the Catera's 2.13 stars.

Plus, you gotta figure that people are more likely to post if they are dissatisfied.

http://www.carreview.com/Luxury+Cars/Cadillac+CTS/PRD_132864_1529- crx.aspx
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Many of us have talked about various CTS colors being their favorite and which color's they feel it looks best in.

I have to say that Cashmere has really grown on me. I have been vacilating(sp?) between blue and black but the cashmere looks really good at dusk and has a very European flavor to it.

It also tends to show of the creases in the car and probably has the most metallic in of all the colors.

Lets give some props to Cashmere!
    You can check out the colors available here:
    http://cadcts.com/ I still prefer black, because so much of the CTS trim is dark gray or black. Plus the car looks very "Stealthy" in black. But any CTS, in any color, is fine with me! Go CTS! -Jer:>)
    Hi TheBug- Here's the little known secret that the Dealer and most Repair Shops won't tell you. Always DOUBLE the Number, and change the time INCREMENT up one level. Samples: "One Hour" means "Two Days". "Two Days" means "Four Weeks". "Three Weeks" means "Six Months". Now you know what they REALLY mean when they give you those nice sounding delivery estimates.
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Posts: 535
    ctsjerry you missed mentioning how they will break or scratch something while making the repairs
  • cu95cu95 Posts: 96
    To add to what b4z posted:
    http://www.epinions.com/auto_Make-2003_Cadillac_CTS/display_~revi- ews
    There the rating average is 4 out of 5 stars.