Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Posts: 486
    Yeah, I'd check the alignment and make sure that nothing else shook loose. Potholes like that can easily bend suspension bits. You don't want to mess around with something like that. If your dealer is like mine, they won't charge you for the peace of mind if they don't find anything wrong. I'd still ask them to align and balance car though.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    Good to see the CTS selling in La La Land, too.

I'd like to hear from those who predicted it would flop, simply because it was not an imported car.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Probably the most unbiased review I have read. Thanks.
  • jemillerjemiller Posts: 183
    That's nasty. Check the wheel, even bet it's at least somewhat bent now.
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Posts: 535
    The linked 3.6 engine article stated that the 0-60 for the 3.6 engine will be 6.7 thats 2 tenths quicker than the now available 3.2 engine with the 5 spd manual .....interesting

I had few choices for wheels on my 95 Eldorado ETC seems Cadillac uses its own bolt circle specs
  • rob35ctsrob35cts Posts: 53
    I got my clock fixed today. They put a new instrament cluster in. It was very easy. I could have done it myself. The cluster cost $700. I was in and out in 35 min. As you guys know most of the time was talking. He only had two bolts to remove.
  • mannytrannymannytranny Posts: 175
    Great review - thanks!
    I also thought that it was quite fair.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Posts: 539
    The reviewer thinks the Opel V6 is some kind of northstar engine???
  • ctsjerryctsjerry Posts: 94
    Nice review article on the 2003 CTS. I do agree that the CTS 3.2L engine is certainly not a Northstar, but neither is it "just an Opel V6". It's a totally new beefier design. Yes, same "V" angle as the old Catera engine, but other than that, it's all new. And a real performer (and this is coming from a big time V8 fan!)

One comment: The reviewer complains about the horn honking when the alarm is set or turned off. I hate that too in other cars, but that's a programable feature you can opt to turn off in a CTS. Very clever those Delco engineers! It's in the least read book in the world: THE OWNER'S MANUAL. But for the CTS, the Owner's Manual is an absolute MUST READ. There is far too much stuff to learn about all the new computerized goodies NOT to read the Manual. You'll find that you'll learn something new EVERY time you read it. -Jerry:>)
  • rstephrsteph Posts: 109
    I had a 2000 Impala LS prior to the CTS. Not sure I totally agree with ya on all of your comparisons though. I currently have a 2002 Impala as a work car so still get to drive both frequently...my opinions:

"CTS has a firmer suspension but rides better than the Impala !!!" (I agree on the firmer suspension but I think the Impala rides better..softer anyway (I said "rides better", not "handles better"). But then, that's to be expected..Impala is a family sedan.)

CTS is quieter, rigid body structure, heavier steering(maybe artificially so). (For the most part..yes...but while CTS is quieter road noise wise, engine on the Impala is much quieter.)

"CTS is the bomb, Impala is the firecracker." (Ok, but the Impala (LS anyway) is pretty snappy for what it is.)

I don't guess I could have done any better for 21K 2 years ago. (No disagreement.)

Overall I don't recommend anybody test drive a CTS then get in a Impala. Quite a letdown. (This is totally objective and depends entirely on what it is you're looking for in a car. I remember when I first got my Impala, you were hardpressed to see them around. Now they're getting to be like the VW bugs of old...they're all over the place. I'm not saying the Impala is better than the CTS. CTS is certainly superior. But, there is that $10k price difference which, for probably a majority of people, can be a big deciding factor. I am a fan of both cars though. The Imp is holding it's own very nicely in it's "niche". Had I not found the CTS I was after, I'd be in a 2003 Impala LS today.
    Opel is using the 3.2 V6 too. This is not an exclusive CTS engine. The CTS gets some additional intake manifold tuning that gives it a couple of extra horsepower.
    Hi fjk57702- That's intersting news. My point is to folks who think that the CTS engine is just a mildly reworked Catera engine. It isn't. Cadillac did a lot of work to make it something special. The new 3.6L will be a very nice upgrade, but the 3.2L ain't bad! I was pleasantly surprised. -Jer:>)
    Actually, Opel did the work. The 3.2 was out before the Catera was out of production. As near as I can tell, Cadillac bolted the intake manifold they used on the old Catera engine onto the new engine. Now I realize the the larger engine probably needed some additional tuning, but the new intake looks exactly like the old one.
    Yep, it can do that. For pictures and instructions see: http://cadcts.com/. Click on WEB PAGE NAVIGATION. Pretty cool! -Jer:>)
    From the Motor Trend CTS Review & Drive Comparison article: "The CTS' 3.2L/220-hp DOHC V-6 is an enlarged and upgraded version of the '02 Catera's 3.0L/200-hp engine. However, because it's undergone many changes (newly reinforced cast-iron block with new connecting rods and a forged-steel crankshaft), one could say it, too, is new. Due to the fact that this narrow GM V-6 is used in both transverse and longitudinal applications, it has an unusual 54° bank angle that's not as smooth or smooth-sounding as either the Infiniti's oversquare 60° V-6 or the ultra-placid I-6 of the BMW. The combustion chambers in the CTS V-6's aluminum cylinder heads have been improved, as well as the intake and exhaust manifolds, and the engine now achieves an EPA Low Emissions Vehicle (LEV) rating. Combined with improved lubrication, better cooling, higher fuel pressure, and throttle-by-wire technology, horsepower and torque gains are dramatic despite not utilizing variable timing."

Ref: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0208_sedan/index4.h- - - tml
    It is an Opel V6, and is also used in the Omega in 3.2L form.

The only changes are those which you'd expect would be needed to take it from 3.0L to 3.2L.
    Hmm. I'd never consider the CTS and Impala to be remotely comparable.

As for driving a 2003 Impala vs the CTS - there's a long, long list of vehicles out there superior to the Impala that undercut the CTS on price, everything from Accords to Camrys etc. Even the Altima is a far nicer mechanical package, though the interior's about as rude as they come.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Posts: 1,058
    Drove through the lot of the local dealer today and saw they just got around 10 04s in stock. No stickers on them yet. Looks like a few base models (auto), some with the 1SB and maybe two with the sprt pkg also. Wide range of colors but no red. I think in a day or two I'll call and go drive one. The new 3.6 should be pretty sweet. The new 17" wheels look great. I'll let ya know how the test drive goes.