Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• automoleautomole Posts: 154
    I don't think ANYONE is actually copying it YET...
    I do think however, that in the near future more auto manufacturers are going to jump on the art&science bandwagon and style their cars with more dramatic edges and a sharper more agressive look.

Take a look at this Ford for instance:
    http://www.ford.com/en/vehicles/autoShows/detroit2003/ford/427/de- - - - fault.htm

Or this Lincoln:
    http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/2002- - - - - - /laautoshow/lincoln.continental.f34.500.jpg

Or BMW?:
    http://www.conceptcarz.com/folder/photo.asp?car_id=5489&picID- - - - =27142&printAllPictures=&whichPage=&pagesize=&aut- - - - oshowID=&vehicleTypeID=1

Yes, they don't look exactly like the CTS but they share certain design traits that the CTS 'pioneered'. I think you'll be seeing more sharp edges, shiny grilles, and vertical headlamps soon....just my opinion.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Looks like the CTS has seriously cut into deville sales.

http://www.autosite.com/editoria/asmr/svsedan.asp

CTS sales are up 34% from May 2002!
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Those cars don't look anything like the CTS. A lot of cars share some characteristics, but emulating the CTS' style they are not. The Cadillac theme is that of a jet fighter, I don't see that on any of those cars.

M
  • automoleautomole Posts: 154
    You can honestly say that this car doesn't look ANYTHING like the CTS?

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/03images/det_ford427_1.jpg

If you look at the following page the article states that " Ford indicated that it may a possible design direction for a future lineup of Ford cars" and that "The center console runs the entire length of the interior creating the sensation that its four-passenger bucket seats form individual roomy fighter jet cockpits"

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/030106-5.htm

As I said in my previous posts -"JUST MY OPINION", yours may differ.

It would seem that at least A FEW others share my opinion that it shares a likeness to the Cadillac design as seen by the comments at the bottom of this page...I found them amusing:

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=239&papas- - s=&sort=1&thecat=536
  • ctsjerryctsjerry Posts: 94
    Yes, Automole, I agree they are TRYING to emulate the CTSs design, but aren't copying it EXACTLY. I posted some photos at http://www.caddyedge.com showing the similarities. See: "CTS Versus Infinity Styling Similarities". At first glance, the Japanese makes in particular, look alot like CTSs. The 2003 CTS has been in production since October of 2001, enough time for these guys to start copying. I agree the F117 Nighthawk styling is not being copied very well. I like the American bred "stealth look" of my CTS and I look down on those wannabee copycats.
  • jemillerjemiller Posts: 183
    ...that the F-117 was a 'hack'.

It looks the way it does only because the tools and techniques available in the late '70s (it's quite an old product) for low-observability design didn't allow them to do something aerodynamically efficient or aesthetically attractive.

See the F-22 by comparison - the product of two-generation-newer design processes - a far smoother and more attractive shape (not that the Pentagon goes out of its way to make its planes pretty.)

As for the Ford noted above - it looks a lot like an Infiniti M45, and that's *not* something one should run around patting oneself on the back for. There was another Ford showcar of some months back that looked a little like a '61 Continental, it was a much more attractive shape.
    Anyone know where I can see a color sample of the new silver smoke?
    My salesman tells me that they won't have the brochure until late July or August.
    And if anybody has a dig cam pic and can post it or email it to me I would appreciate it.
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Posts: 535
    Gee ,I wonder where they got the styling cues for that car LOL
      Automole you are absolutely right
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    "Seeing how the CTS has done much better than many perceived it would, a fair amount the harsh criticisms have been removed from their reviews. Go figure."

They were biased simply by the name on the hood. Never mind the whole new plant and other new engineering that went into the car. I'd like to see them eat crow, too.
  • rob35ctsrob35cts Posts: 53
    So are you guys telling me that the sterling silver is no longer available? I wouldn't trade up for just that reason. I love the sterling silver.
    Yes I can honestly say that the Ford 427 looks nothing like the CTS. That Ford looks like a Lincoln concept of about 2 years ago if anything. It's square and flat with very little in the way of sharp creases like the CTS.

Those comments said it looks worse than the CTS? Was that what you wanted me to read?

ctsjerry,

I'm really curious to know which Japanese cars you think look like a CTS. Seeing as how the Japanese have no style at all, in most cases.

M
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    Welcome back! I think the G35 looks like a watered down CTS, but so far no one has really copied the CTS. If anyone does, it will likely by Ford or Lincoln. Remember the 80 Seville with the "bustleback" rear end. What did the rear end of the 82 Lincoln Continental look like?

On a different note, this morning on the way to work I saw three diferent CTSs within my 20 minute commute. All three were in the oncoming lane, first one was black, second cashmere, and last one was Diamond white. The black one takes the cake! It simply looked sharp. The cashmere was okay, but not my choice of color. The white one also had the chrome wheels so there was alot of glitter and it looked pretty good, but I think black or dark blue are the CTS's best colors.
    Now you'll have to tell me exactly which years of the Seville you're talking about. The last version of the bustle back was the one I like, and yes I do remember a Continental with a similar look.
    A lot of people like the orginal 76'(?) Seville, but that one looked too much like a Chevy Nova to me. I liked the last one they made with that bustle back design.

So you're right there, but I'm not sure of the years, a Caddy expert will have to educate me on the years.

The G35 looks like a watered down CTS??? Oh my... I think you just like to stretch things for the sake of doing so, like you did in the XLR topic. There is no way the G35 with it's flat rear and rounded front looks anything like a CTS, watered down or not. The G35 Sedan isn't even mildly attractive to me, the CTS is.

M
    tyler80 posted this for me on cadillacforums.com.

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2004&- amp;- amp;regionID=1&divisionID=5&type=0&vehicleID=328&- - section=col_trim&page=9&butID=3

Click on the highlighted color to see a sample.
    It gives you an idea but the colors are a little off from what I think they would look like from a photo.
    Photoshopped CTS-V wagon. Looks good.
    Scroll down on the home page.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/
  • jpnmassjpnmass Posts: 45
    Thanks for that link on the colors. Not only does it have the colors available, but just about any other information someone interested in buying a CTS would need.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Posts: 539
    The first generation Seville was the 76-79 models, which were based on the Nova. The body was modified to the point where it was a K body. I though the proportions were done right so the car was a nice looking 4 door sedan. Nothing exotic though.

The second generation Seville was the 80 - 85 model years. This Seville was the first front wheel drive Seville and the body was based on the Eldorado/Riviera/Toronado body. This car had a bustle back (taken from some old Rolls/or? style). I thought that the front end (basic Eldorado) did not fit with the rear end. The basic styling problem was the front fenders which were too squared off.

The third generation Seville was the 86-91 models which were greatly downsized and looked very much like the small GM cars (Grand Am) rooflines. External styling was not bad but the interiors were not very good, with the dash/instrument panel poorly done.

The fourth generation Seville was the 92-97 model, which got the northstar V8 in 93. This is perhaps the best looking Seville of all. This was followed by the current generation based on the 95 Aurora body platform. The basic styling is the same but the body stucture is much stiffer.

The 2004 Seville will be last of the current generation. Then it moves to the sigma (CTS) platform. I think that the CTS styling could be better, but is not bad. Perhaps the STS will improve on the basic theme. The next generation CTS may get the station wagon, the current generation probably will not. The SRX is probably as close to a wagon as we will get for a while.
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Posts: 486
    The first Seville was a nice and handsome car. My mother owned a '79 and I wish I still had that car. Despite its humble beginnings, it was a good automobile. However, the way it was built probably led to GM thinking that the Cimmaron was a good idea (another Cadillac built on Chevy underpinnings). The XLR also has Chevy underpinnings (Corvette), but it looks like GM is trying to avoid the platform-sharing mistakes of the past.

The bustle-back Sevilles of the early 80's reminds me a lot of the current Rolls Royce Phantom styling. The RR has rounded hindquarters but both have exaggerated squared-off front fenders with a tall grill. These Sevilles were certainly daring in styling, but not the best handling vehicles out there, even with the optional touring suspension. Lincoln Mark VII LSCs were much better handling automobiles.

The Sevilles (and Eldos) of the late 80s were the worst of the product line. I disagree with fjk57702; the styling of this series was so forgettable. And the interior appointments weren't good either. The size of the vehicles were tiny compared to what was expected by customers in the market for this nameplate. The original 4.1L V8 was...well, a joke (no power, reliability).

The Gen 4 Sevilles had (thankfully) great styling, a respectable interior and in '93, a kick-butt engine. The current Gen 5 cars came on in '98 and they were okay...but they don't compete with the other makes nearly as well as the previous car did a decade ago.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Posts: 539
    The first Seville may have started with the Nova platform, but the production Seville was considered a platform of its own. I don't think it came off a Nova assembly line (but I'm not sure). The Cimmarron was built on the same assembly line as the Cavalier and had minor changes - different grill, interior and so on. On the other hand the Cimmarron didn't cost much to put into production and sold at a rate of 25,000 for most of the 7 years that it was in production. The Catera did not sell as well for a much shorter production life.
  • mcgreenxmcgreenx Posts: 179
    Took my car in to get the leaky rear license plate surround replaced. They ordered the part, shown on the warranty invoice as a "Lens," priced at $510!!! I wonder if GM or the supplier of the defective parts bears the replacement, labor costs, or both.