Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Posts: 486
    A correction....the new STS according to its literature does not have Magnasteer.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Posts: 1,058
    If I am calculating this correctly the price increase is somewhat deceiving. The final 04 base price for a CTS was $31345 and the beginning price for an 05 is $32395 - which is about 3.4% increase. The 04 came with the 3.2 and the 05 comes standard with the 3.6. Without going into to much explaining the price of an 05 with the 3.6 and auto increased by $550. That really is not much. Also, around October there will be a new base CTS with a 2.8 V6 and fake leather that is supposed to start at around $29k.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,076
    When does the new STS show up at Cadillac dealers?
  • bagsbags Posts: 12
    I'm an owner of an 04 CTS with the 3.8 engine. I love the car, but it worries me when I see that they are introducing a new engine in the 05's. Does this mean they have found something in the 3.8 that they don't like? Are they hurrying to have a different engine in place in case the other one has problems? What do you all think?
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Posts: 1,058
    You most likely have the 3.6. The new 2.8 is basically the same as the 3.6 just a smaller displacement. The base CTS with the 2.8 will compete with the low end BMW 3s and start under $30k. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your engine.
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 373
    I just saw a brand new Candy Apple red CTS-v on the road here in SFV. I was surprised as I thought the -v was only available in Black or Silver.
  • pecclespeccles Posts: 52
    The 2.8L has 210HP/194 ft-lbs. Interestingly it
    has a higher HP/L than the 3.6L and it 87 octane
    is still the recommended fuel. I wonder how much
    better the EPA MPG rating will be.
  • scurvyscurvy Posts: 7
    There is a CTSv appearance package that is dealer installed, I believe. It's CTSv tires, wheels, exhaust, grill, etc. But, it's the standard package under the hood. In fact, I have seen one without the sports package.
  • cu95cu95 Posts: 96
    A little late with this response, but add me to the list of people who have had good service with their OnStar phone (on my '03 CTS). I use it infrequently, but when I have needed it it has worked without a hitch. (I was living in central NJ when I bought the CTS and now I'm in Orange County NY and it has worked great in both areas.)
  • The 04 V's were available in only the Black and Platinum. The 05's are available in Red, Gray, Platinum and Black. I have the 04 Platinum.
  • pmcppmcp Posts: 8
    Have a 03 and my Offff Star stinks !!! Live near Chicago with good pick up points. Machine does not understand 2 all the time. My other car, a 04 GMC Envoy works great. Have called operator many, many time and some times they feeeel sorry and dial for me. Called service and they state no, NO, NO updates. I feeeeel that they FIXED the 04 and will not admit, sooooo won't FIX 03s!!!
  • After a month of my dealer calling OnStar it is finally working in my 04 CTS. And they have given me 200 extra minutes and an extra 3 months of service.
    The first problem was that the wrong number had been programed into the vehicle and thus nothing worked. Every now and then pressing the blue button would connect but OnStar could only hear me. They could not locate the vehicle or see who I was. Finally my dealer told me to come in and working with OnStar they reprogramed the number and gave me back the car. Now OnStar could see me and I could call out but no one could call me. The dealer got after them again and OnStar began calling me direct. Finally they did something by remote control and finally I could receive calls in the car.
    A final twist to make life more interrrresting. When I call home, even from my driveway, I have to use the full number as if I were calling long distance. But when my wife calls me from home she must call as if it were a local call. Also the speaker button on the steering wheel does some things and not others. As I can't remember what the hell it does and doesn't do I have given up on that feature and always use the white button on the mirror.
    With this experience I am happy to have bought locally even if it cost a few bucks more. (But I don't think it did)!
  • richerryricherry Posts: 19
    I have had similar problems on my 2004 CTS I bought last Aug.Had a similar problem with my car number.
    They gave me 200 minutes for a year which is up soon. Not going to renew. I spent HOURS talking to them and had to have the car running.

I got to service last week and they started a new record, they told me to put a 1 in front of local numbers as the people I called from my drive way came in busy,

Did not work and I can see the Sprint tower from my house and I am on the top of a hill.

The ON Star cell phone is once again, not worth the powder to blow it to hell.

I can call with my analog/digital phone from the car and it works great.

THEY PROMISED AN Analog/Digital phone in the 2004 cts AND IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN RECALLED last Dec according to service.

Everybody call them and force a recall!!!!
    Ray
  • monte44monte44 Posts: 1
    My husband and I are considering buying the CTS, but we are concerned about the RWD in the snow (we live in Mass, travel to Maine frequently). For anyone living in a cold weather area, what has your experience been with the RWD? If you've had a bad experience, would you recommend any other vehicle over the CTS and why?

C
  • bagsbags Posts: 12
    The CTS has traction control standard and also has a button on the console that puts the car into "winter driving mode". It starts in 3rd gear, I think. You really should have no problem.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,669
    Buy good snow tires, get traction control and/or stability control and you'll be fine.
  • It sounds as if we have two different systems in our cars as mine works great now that my dealer has all the bugs taken out. By the way I bought the car in Vero Beach FL where I am now. I have all my calls entered as long distance starting with 1 and they all go through just fine. Doesn't matter if I am calling the house from the driveway or calling CT. And, by the way, OnStar tells me that my phone IS analog digital. It seems to me your dealer should get this taken care of for you rather than you having to try and take care of it yourself. Aside from OnStar calling me a couple of times I didn't have to do anything to get the phone fixed. Dealer did it all.
  • Call from dealer this morning. There is a recall to install a washer on a lower control arm. Going in Monday to have it taken care of.
    There are several ways to tell what type of equipment comes on an OnStar-equipped vehicle:

a. Look for the label on GM vehicles

Most OnStar-equipped GM vehicles have an OnStar window label that indicates which of three different systems is integrated into the vehicle. Refer to question #4 for additional information.

b. Refer to this chart

What you do... If the system responds... Then the vehicle's equipment is...

Step #1: Press the white-dot or phone button button

(If there is no white-dot or phone button, the vehicle has an analog-only system.) "Ready" Analog-Only

Step #1: Press the white-dot or phone button

Step #2: Say "Help" "OnStar Ready"

The system replies with up to 14 options, such as "Dial," "Call," "Directory," and "Virtual Advisor." Analog/Digital-Ready

Step #1: Press the white-dot or phone button

Step #2: Say "Help" "OnStar Ready"

Along with other options, you hear one of these digital-specific options: "Advisor Playback," "Digit Dial" or "Digit Store." Dual-Mode (Analog/Digital)

So which one do you have ?? They claim I have analog only. Will check mine again.

Ray
  • I'm one who has posted good opinions about my CTS's performance in snow. I agree with comments about good snow tires and traction control, but there are dissenting opinions from some. The earlier description of the snow mode is correct, but it is not intended for continued use. (So don't misunderstand that it is a substitute for 4-wheel or all-wheel drive.)
    You might want to use the search capability of this site and search for "snow" to see all the relevant postings.
    Checked mine today. It is analog/didital-READY.

What does READY mean, is is analog now BUT in 2007 they will have a converter at my cost.

You have to wait until 2006 to get a CTS with didital installed!!!!!!!

A TERRIBLE SITUATION.

Ray
  • See my posts 5020, 5021, 5171 and 5261 for experience in snow over 2 full winters in Ontario, Canada. In short, I'd recommend good snow tires all around, and Stabilitrak, which I believe is included with the Sport handling package as well as the 1SC "Lux Sport" package. Generally, good performance on par with FWD and good all-season tires.
  • shifty4shifty4 Posts: 53
    Can anyone provide more info on this recall? Which models are affected? Do you know the recall number? Thanks.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,837
    A reporter is interested in speaking with former BMW owners or enthusiasts who have found an alternative to BMW. If you would be interested in speaking with this reporter about why you now prefer a different vehicle, please forward your contact information to Pam Krebs, Edmunds.com PR, at pkrebs@edmunds.com. Please respond by end-of-day Friday, August 27. Thank you.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• skuuterskuuter Posts: 144
    NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 04V273000

Recall Date: JUN 09, 2004

Component: STEERING:LINKAGES

Potential Units Affected: 41,928 Models built between 01/08/04 and 04/20/04

Summary:
    ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES INVOLVED IN THIS CAMPAIGN, THE LOWER CONTROL ARM BALL STUD NUT/WASHER ASSEMBLIES WITH WASHERS WERE MADE OF THE WRONG MATERIAL. THE WASHERS MAY FRACTURE AND BECOME LOOSE OR FALL AWAY FROM THE VEHICLE, REDUCING CLAMP LOAD. SEPARATION OF THE CONTROL ARM BALL STUD AND STEERING KNUCKLE, DUE TO DISENGAGEMENT OF THE TAPERED ATTACHMENT AND RETAINING NUT, IS POSSIBLE.

Consequence:
    IF THE CONTROL ARM SEPARATES FROM THE KNUCKLE, THE AFFECTED CORNER OF THE VEHICLE WILL DROP AND THE CONTROL ARM WOULD BE FORCED DOWNWARD, CONTACTING THE WHEEL. THE AFFECTED WHEEL COULD TILT OUTWARD AND CREATE A DRAGGING ACTION THAT WOULD TEND TO SLOW THE VEHICLE AND CREATE A TENDENCY FOR THE VEHICLE TO TURN IN THE DIRECTION OF THE AFFECTED WHEEL. IN EXTREME SITUATIONS, THE AFFECTED WHEEL ASSEMBLY COULD SEPARATE FROM THE VEHICLE. SEPARATION OF THE WHEEL ASSEMBLY WOULD ALSO SEVER THAT WHEEL;S HYDRAULIC BRAKE HOSE AND RESULT IN DIMINISHED BRAKING PERFORMANCE OF THE VEHICLE, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Remedy:
    GM HAS NOT YET PROVIDED A REMEDY OR OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE FOR THIS CAMPAIGN. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT CADILLAC AT 1-866-982-2339 OR CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438.

Notes:
    GENERAL MOTORS CORP. 04043

GM's replies:

Q1: What is the condition that prompted a safety recall?
    A1: Some 2004 model year Cadillac CTS, SRX and XLR, and Chevrolet Corvette vehicles have lower control arm ball stud nut/washer assemblies with washers made of the wrong steel material.

Q2: What impact does this condition have on the vehicle?
    A2: The washers may fracture and become loose or fall away from the vehicle. This could cause separation of the lower control arm from the knuckle, resulting in the loss of vehicle control.

Q3: What might occur as a result of this condition?
    A3: If front control arm separation occurs, the affected corner of the vehicle could drop and the control arm may be forced downward, contacting the wheel. This would slow the vehicle down and create a tendency for the vehicle to turn in the direction of the affected corner.

For the XLR and Corvette, if rear control arm separation occurs, there could be unpredictable right or left lateral forces at the rear of the vehicle. Although steering of the front wheels would be unaffected, control of the vehicle might be difficult.

Q4: Can the driver maintain control of the vehicle?
    A4: The driver could maintain some steering control of the unaffected front wheel(s), however control would be diminished. The braking system would continue to be functional. If the separation of the wheel assembly severs the wheel's hydraulic brake hose, this may result in increased stopping distance.

Q5: How would a customer realize the condition exists?
    A5: Fracture of the washer may occur unexpectedly without prior indication to the vehicle operator.

Q6: Have there been any incidents related to this condition?
    A6: GM is aware of four incidences of the condition occurring.

Q7: Have there been any reports of crashes or injuries related to this condition?
    A7: There have been no reports of crashes or injuries related to this condition.

Q8: How was this condition discovered?
    A8: A fractured washer was discovered at the assembly plant.

Q9: Why was the washer made of the wrong steel material?
    A9: GM is investigating how the suspect washers were stamped with the wrong material.

Q10: Is it possible that vehicles built before January 8 and after April 20, 2004 may have the suspect washers?
    A10: These are the start and stop dates of vehicles built with the suspect washers. GM purged its supply of nut/washer assemblies received from the supplier and replaced them with nut/washer assemblies made of certified materials.

Q11: Where were these vehicles built?
    A11: The Cadillacs involved in this recall were built at the General Motors assembly plant in Lansing, Michigan (Grand River plant) and the Corvettes were assembled in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

Q12: What will GM do to correct this condition on the subject vehicles?
    A12: Cadillac and Chevrolet dealers will inspect the ball stud joints and measure the torque of the nut for all lower control arms in all models affected as well as the rear lower control arms on the XLR and Corvette. If the torque is not at specification, the dealers will replace the ball stud, the knuckle, and the nut. If the torque is at specification, the dealers will replace the nut assembly only. These repairs will be performed at no cost to the customers.

Q13: Are parts at the dealers, and can customers bring in their vehicles for repair right away?
    A13: No. The recall will begin during the third quarter of 2004.

Q14: Is the vehicle safe to drive?
    A14: The 2004 model year Cadillac CTS, SRX and XLR, and Chevrolet Corvette vehicles involved in this recall meet all federal safety standards.
  • Here is what the invoice says. "Recall 04043 Lower control arm washer". They installed two 10282253 Nut 6.164.

Is this of any help to you?
  • jrcasejrcase Posts: 7
    Does anyone have the NEW UPGRADED rear differential part number for the CTS (3.6 V6). I had mine replaced and wanted to confirm that I did indeed get the new upgraded unit. I hope I did not get the old type. Thanks in advance.
  • shifty4shifty4 Posts: 53
    Thanks to skutter and tetedepierre for the information on the CTS steering recall. It appears my 03 is not involved, but good to have the peace of mind. This is a great example of the value of this forum - "drivers helping drivers".
  • glewardgleward Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I recently purchased a used 2003 with all the bells and whistles. Currently my NAV system onlyhas the south eastern NAV CD. Did you CTS come with more location or Cd's? How would you obvtain more locations?
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 373
    The '03 CD nav system comes with a complete set of 9 CDs covering the lower 48 states. A complete set can be purchased from a dealer parts department but will cost about $1,300 if I remember correctly. The single CD for Canada cost me about $300.

You might try to find a set on E-bay. You might also attempt to contact the original owner through the dealer from whom you purchased the car to see if he/she still has the CDs, as they are useless without the nav system.