Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• bingomanbingoman Posts: 373
    I have an appointment to take my 2003 in Tuesday afternoon to have the differential replaced with what my dealer tells me is a newly designed replacement for the unit which has be causing the whine problem.

Apparently it has taken some time for Cadillac to recognize the problem as widespread, and then some time to develop a solution, but they appear to have done it. I will let everyone know next week what I find out.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Posts: 202
    Thanks for info. Keep us posted, I hope GM has finally corrected this problem.
  • danf1danf1 Posts: 935
    I'm trying to wait until after the holidays. It looks like we might get a late start to winter. The Dunlops did catch my eye because we can get them here, but I haven't compared cost yet.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Anyone watch the Simpsons tonight? The reporter on the episode was driving a CTS. I thought that was pretty cool, wonder if there is a CTS fan on the creative side?
  • l943973l943973 Posts: 197
    NavTraffic will be standard equipment in the 2005 CTS. The same real-time traffic info that is currently offered in the 2005 Acura RL.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/041214/sirius_navteq_2.html
  • or have any been shipped to dealers?
  • pbeerspbeers Posts: 26
    I wonder - I went last weekend to a couple of Caddy dealers to test drive a manual 2005 CTS and all I could find were automatics. Are there many 6 spd's being sold?
  • On some other Cadillac boards there are quite a few people who have bought them. I think most were ordered and not taken off dealer lots.

I do not think most dealers stock them. That is really too bad. I know the market is small, but it is important to try and get sales from BMW and others that do offer manuals and have them in stock.
  • or can you provide a link to other CTS boards? I have place the CTS on my short list, based on driving impressions of the auto and qualifying for GMS pricing. I would love to have a manual with the larger V6. I am also considering 300C,GTO, and a couple SUVs that can be had below 35K. I like fun to drive vehicles, but with some practically.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Just a friendly reminder - your Membership Agreement does not allow us to send folks to other automotive message boards ...

Sorry.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,671
    Dealers not stocking manuals? Manual sales down?

Gee - where have we heard this before? Caddy dealers are not much different than Lincoln dealers regarding manuals. I hope it doesn't get dropped (in the regular CTS) like the LS.
    I can see the 5-speed being an option for ordering only. People say they want them but then buy automatics. Dealers get stuck with them. If I got one I would lease for sure. Resale would be tuff also.
    My 2003 CTS had over 50,000 miles on it and I started to experience a vibration when the automatic shifted between 4th and 5th gear. I had the rear end whine and numerous other reliability issues so I traded it in on a 2005 Acura TL. The only thing the CTS has on the TL is rear wheel drive. The TL is much more refined than the CTS, the TL's engine is smoother, quieter and more powerful. The TL is much less expensive also. I bet there will be few repeat buyers of the CTS.
  • engine is more powerful and refined than your 03 was, but the 04-05 3.6 is just as good.
  • Please read up on your car history. That's part of the "Twilight Sentinel" functionality that my 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible also has! bmw is NOT the leader in this sort of thing as some might think. Not only that, but the whole cornerning light system is wired so that the white light ONLY lights up with the turn signal if the headlights or parking lights are on, not like those half [non-permissible content removed]ed wiring jobs on lincolns, etc which light up all the time, headlights on or off!

Cadillac lead the auto industry in the sixties and early seventies with many technical advancements that too many pepope admire bmw mercedes or lexus for "inventing". The world's first (admittedly primitive by today's standards) ABS system was on 1970 Cadillacs; in 1964 the first automatic climate control system was introduced by Cadillac. There's a long list...

Now, I wish the CTS would also have the auto parking brake pull off that my 1968 also has, It's going to be annoying getting into 3 cars that have the brake pull off and then one that doesn't, oh well, you can't have everything can you.
  • Have 7000 miles in 16 months. From the beginning I notice that at idol the engine sometimes shakes, maybe every 30 seconds, especially when hot. The shake is not violent, but it disturbs me. Also it shakes when you start it and shakes when you shut it off.

Is this normal?

Otherwise it is normal on the road, but MUCH noisier than my 1995 Rivera, probally 5 db worse. When you go up a hill with radio off, it is noisy in the rear end. Not a whine, just noisy, no grinding.

I have never had it to a dealer, except for a cell phone problem and a CD problem. Where the six cd's would hunt for several minutes and cause several items to reset the dash to zero, like miles per gallon. Dealer never found this problem, but it still does this.

Ray
    richerry what grade of gasoline are you using? 91 as suggested by Cadillac, or a lower grade? However I will say that my '03 LuxSport does have an occasional engine shake at idle even though I always use 91 octane.

You say that going uphill the rear end is noisy but not a whine or a grind. Is it a clunking noise? Do you have anything loose in the trunk, such as loose tools in the spare tire well? I had what I thought was a rear end clunk which turned out to be bad front shocks which Cadillac replaced.

As to your CD problems, I would insist the dealer find the problem or replace the CD unit or the entire radio, or take it to another dealer. I know that my dealer would pursue the problem until it was fixed as they have done so on a previous car purchased from them.

P.S. An idol is an effigy or a statue of a god.
  • arby1arby1 Posts: 83
    I just traded in my 2003 CTS for a 2005 CTS with the 255 hp engine.The manual says that 87 fuel can be used but with loss of performance.On my old car I only used 93 fuel because the engine was underpowered and I needed every last horse avaiable.I am now so happy with the incresed horsepower that I can't judge loss of power with 87 fuel.Has anybody out there tried the diferent fuels and see any diference in power?Thanks.
  • Thanks for the response. I use 87 as that is what is called for on the 2004 CTS.

No the rear end does not clunk, just noisy when going up hill, relative to my Rivera 1995 front wheel drive. Sounds ok on a flat road at 70, but still noisy and hard to hear the radio.The Rivera was quiter at 70mph

Ray
    The 3.6 CTS is much better in terms of power and refinement. Did you even test?
    Never tested it.The refinement of the 3.6 over the 3.2 is like night and day.With the 3.2 engine, it always sounded underpowered and felt underpowered.Now it is smooth.
    I never did test drive a CTS with the 3.6, I had several reliability issues with my 03 CTS and was ready to trade. There is no way the 3.6 is more refined than the 3.2 Acura TL. If you don't believe me test drive one. As for power, below are the run times posted in the most recent issue of Motor Trends New Car Buyer's Guide: Automatic Transmissions

Acceleration, sec to mph

0-30 (TL 2.3 sec) (CTS 2.3 sec)

0-60 (TL 6.3 sec) (CTS 6.6 sec)

0-100 (TL 17.3 sec) (CTS 19.4 sec)
    Golfnut I find your logic most interesting. You suggest that the reader test drive the the Acura TL to prove that it is more refined (or at least as refined) as the CTS 3.6, although you have not driven the CTS 3.6 yourself. So please tell me how you know that there is 'no way' that the CTS 3.6 is more refined than the Acura TL 3.2.

And by the way how do you define 'refined'. And what does acceleration times have to do with refined, as they are as much a product of horespower, weight, gearing and aerodynamics, as they are of 'refinement'.
    Bingoman, I have a business client with a 2004 CTS 3.6 and I have ridden in his CTS. The 3.6 sounded only slightly more refined than my 3.2 CTS. Engine refinement to me means silky smooth (quiet). After having driven over 50,000 miles in my 2003 CTS I can't believe how much more refined the engine in the TL is when compared to the CTS. The TL does not shake at idle either.
  • The TL is a very nice car, but to me it being a FWD car puts it in a very different category than the CTS.

I have driven a 6-spd TL on several occasions and was very impressed. Great interior and very fast. My only complain is that I found it difficult to shift smoothly.

I am still looking forward to driving a CTS 3.6 with a manual.
  • eaton53eaton53 Posts: 356
    The Honda, Cadillac and BMW sixes... there ain't a nickel's difference between them.

Once the TL has been owned for awhile (assuming it's used as sports sedan), the torque steer will become irritating. I'm not buying any more FWD cars for sporting purposes.... in the future all of those type vehicles will have proper RWD or RWD based AWD powertrains.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    You do understand that your 2003 CTS had an Opel V6 with a 54 degree angle between the cylinder banks? The 3.6 liter V6 is an all new design with 60 degrees between the banks.
    I agree that RWD is best for a true sporty driving experience. I am not posting here to slam the CTS I enjoyed driving mine for the two years that I owned it. I put about 35,000 miles on a car per year and normally trade every two years. I did have several reliability issues with my CTS and thought I would try something different. I am just very impressed with the TL and the value for the dollar.
    You most certainly were slamming the CTS.The TL most likely is more refined but the bottom line is that as a FRD car ,it will not handle like a RWD car. Consumer Reports rated it better than the CTS and Bimmer and G35.The following month ,though, I think either Motor Trend or Car and Driver rated it behind them because of the FRD configuration.Also, the CTS is larger than all of the others and won't be as nimble, which is always the tradeoff when you have a larger car.
  • eaton53eaton53 Posts: 356
    "Consumer Reports rated it better than the CTS and Bimmer and G35."

Yes, but they rated the Proctor-Silex Toaster Oven higher than all of them....