Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• iarmaniarman Posts: 4
    I would be careful about buying a CTS. We have the 2004 luxury/Sport packages, navigation/XM radio since July 2004. While it is a very nice car, we will never buy another Cadillac again. We have entirely too many problems with it (rear differential, Stability control and electrical problems). Now we have a noise in the power steering that Cadillac refuses to fix. We have been round and round with dealer and customer service but to no avail. Poor Poor customer service
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 373
    Well, one out of 50,000 aint too bad. Sorry to hear about your problems jarman. What area of the country are you in, and what exactly are the differential, stability control, electrical and power steering problems you are having? I'd like to know so that I can watch for them.
  • iarmaniarman Posts: 4
    We live on the west coast of Florida. The stability control locked up the vehicle so it would not run and had to be towed to the dealer. There was a whinning noise in the rear end at about 20-30 mph. Once repaired, no more rear end noise. Now the power steering is making noise when turning left/right traveling forward/backward which can be heard over the XM radio.
  • I too have a 04 CTS with sport package and all the trimmings purchased in July 2004. Sure the rear end whined. Fixed in a day and I had a loaner. Yes the rear lid supports were weak. Replaced in an hour. Yes the wipers chattered. Replaced in a couple of minutes. One recall for defective washers in the front end. Fixed in a day with a loaner. The brakes were spongy at first. Fixed in a day and I had a loaner. I have never had a car that did not have some problems. BUT I have never had a car where the problems were fixed so quickly and painlessly. Plus the car drives like a dream. No problems with stability control or power steering. Love my CTS and highly recommend it.
  • furstfurst Posts: 1
    I am skeptical about the Real Wheel Drive, even though I'm considering purchasing this car with the Sports Pkg. Can someone convince me it's not all that bad?
    Just what makes you skeptical about rear wheel drive? It has been around for over 100 years. It distributes the car's weight more evenly for better handling and distributes the functions of steering (front) and traction (rear) better so the front wheels are not called on to do all the work.
  • richw5richw5 Posts: 152
    Where do you live? It's snowing in Chicago as I look out the study window. My wife took the CTS to work instead of the Trailblazer. It's her daily driver and she loves it.

The only problem we've had with the CTS was coming up the street (hill) to our driveway after a 6 inch wet, heavy snow. She had to stop for another driver and couldn't get started up the hill again. It took 3 of us to get her started and into our garage. That was the only snow driving problem we've had in almost 3 years.

I could have solved the "winter" problem with a set of "Blizzak" snow tires, but until that time I never needed them.

RWD is great, with (as Bingoman has said) superior handling. The car feels so much better on the road than the FWD STS I once had. I'd get another CTS in a heartbeat.
  • jlayjlay Posts: 4
    I don't know if you have discovered the fix or not, but our 2005 CTS was doing it. The dealer told me there was a "fix" from manufacturer where they had to put some sort of counterbalance on the magneto.....or something like that. By the way, it only helped the problem a bit. It did not go away. Our 2004 CTS, which was totalled out, did not have that problem.
    We have had our 2005 CTS serviced twice and on each occasion had to pay over $100 to get the front end alligned. Two oil changes and two paid for front end allignments. Anybody having these problems? We love the car, but I hope this trend does not continue.
    Yes, however the overall quality of the car is great.
  • boomer1bboomer1b Posts: 348
    Hows your CTS with the stick treating ya in this winter weather?
    Your prob. driving the truck plowing snow huh?

My 03 Deville just trucks thru this nasty winter weather with little effort.

Any more buzz on you finding a CTS-V?
    Stop banging the front end into the curbs.

I've got 32,000 miles on my '03 CTS and the front end is fine in spite of an ocassional pothole out here in Sunny (and rainy) Southern California.
    Well, if I was sure that was the contributor I wouldn't worry. Problem is my wife drives the car like "grandma" and I'm fairly confident that isn't the problem. We do live in the country though; however our other vehicles don't seem to dispaly the same problems at oil change time.

Thanks for the advice though.
  • "Does anyone who owns an 05 CTS have an opinion they are willing to post? Have the problems posted here regarding previous model years been resolved? "

We have one, 11,000 miles. no real issues, but I THINK it MIGHT be sterting to get the "rear end whine"

Since it's my wife's car, I don't drive it much. I'll let folks know if anything substantial turns up.
  • "You'd think they would have put in the following:

1) A light in the glovebox
    2) Grab handles above the driver and passenger doors
    3) A strap on the trunk so that I don't keep getting my hands dirty shutting it.

I have been driving an '05 CTS for the past 4 days while my Catera is in service and I am really impressed with the handling and acceleration of the 3.6. The interior is way better than most anything that comes out of Detroit but it pales compared to most any import and the omission of something like a light in the glove box on a $30,000+ car is almost unforgivable. I am picky and wouldn't buy one just because of those things. "

Why do you need a light in the glove box when you can't fit anything except the manuals in there ;-)

Grab handles - maybe, but cornering lights and a brake auto pullof would have been nicer in my opinion, esp since Cadillac has had these for years!

Strap on the trunk? What planet are your from?
  • "Meow! Sorry, I just compare the CTS to European and Japanese cars and it just comes up short inside. If you read just about any car review you'll see most come to the same conclusion. If you are used to American cars only (especially GM), then the CTS is leaps and bounds ahead of the rest in terms of build quality"

Comes up short inside???????
    perhaps i should dig up all the interior trim pieces that fell off or broke off from my mom's last volvo (before she traded it for an Eldorado and later for an SRX!)
  • 14781478 Posts: 2
    Is it normal for my CTS to run at about 1800 RMS's at 50MPH? Around 2400 RPM at 70MPH? Seems high. What is normal at those speeds?
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,088
    Long story -- we needed a rental car for 3 days to make a 600+ mile round trip from Cincinnati to Pittsburgh. Got on-line to enterprise and lo and behold found an Internet only deal for a CTS for a three day weekend.

Just to make certain I was not seeing something with "milage limitations" or some other gotcha's I called the number of the rental agency that was closest and my friendly neighborhood Cadillac dealership answered the phone!

Got into a new (2005) CTS (base model, I am certain) and made my trip (the car had 5 or 6,000 miles on it). We loved the car, thought it was "almost European."

We will not have a 2WD car -- only AWD will do for us. We like the SRX, have had many Audis and my wife is semi-seriously considering an SRX but says she would consider a CTS "if only" it could be had with the AWD system like the SRX and STS can be configured with.

I cannot find any "hard" evidence that the CTS will be AWD, but it only seems natural that it will.

Does anyone here on this erudite board know if and when such a CTS is (or isn't) planned for the market?

Thanks.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    It is a bit bigger, but available with AWD.

-Paul
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,088
    If they would unbundle it, maybe. . .
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    The current CTS was not intended to get AWD, so I think that a major re-engineering will need to happen. Probably that would occur around 2008-2010. The V6 STS may get AWD first.
  • Nice to see the board active again .. been away for a bit myself!

Has anyone had a problem with the Stability System Engaged message coming on at highway speed (65-75 MPH)on flat, straight stretches of road? It started recently on my '03 CTS LuxSport(~48,000 mi)and was particularly annoying while driving down South, because when Stabilitrak kicks in, it kills the cruise control. Seems to happen in "clusters", maybe 3 or 4 times over a period of 5 minutes, then goes away for a while. Thought it might be related to the cruise control, but it happens when cruise is off as well.

Dealer did full diagnostic, couldn't find any error codes. Best they could do is blame it on having the Blizzaks on, but they're same size as the factory Goodyears, on stock 17" rims, and are the officially recommended winter tire option according to GM's own TSB on the subject. Tires are properly and evenly inflated, and wheel alignment seems fine (no drifting, steering is centered, etc.)

Interested in anyone's similar experience and solution.
  • danf1danf1 Posts: 935
    From what I've heard, the Blizzaks have a very soft sidewall which may tend to roll under slight variations in the road. That could possibly be fooling the computer into thinkin there is some yaw about to happen. No proof, just a thought.
  • Thanks for the input, Dan. That could be it, though I would be surprised since they are V-rated for speed and seem pretty stiff. I guess I'll see when the snows come off; hopefully they'll honour the warranty since I noted the problem before I "miled out".

BTW, I drove through your neck of the woods in a snowstorm last week on the way down to FL with the family, and was very glad I left the Blizzaks on. It was pretty messy, and traffic on I-79 slowed from 75 to 60 during the early morning rush (around 6:30 am), but otherwise, it was moving fine. Wish it was the same on my daily commute into Toronto! Seems a heavy flurry here puts everyone's brain on hold.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Anyone here driven a 2.8L yet?

I see them advertised all the time now.
  • bazohimbabazohimba Posts: 14
    Mark, Good to hear your comments. I, too have driven the CTS 3.6VVT all decked out, and really liked it. NOT anywhere as beautiful inside as my A6 was, but acceptable. Wife raised so much Cain about the 300C that I might never hear the end of it, and, I think, the CTS could be bought for a bigger discount since it's not the 'latest' thing on the block. It would be nice to be able to shift by hand like on the 300C that has 'autostick', (almost as good as the Audi). Did you notice or learn of a way to shift the CTS up and down without going too many gears outta the way??

The STS is really sexy and luxurious, but too much money, and a bit too large for my tastes.

My wife loves the SRX, but neither of us has driven it, and she has an Escalade EXT which she loves, and she doesn't want me to have another SUV. I've time to make a decision, but will quite likely exit my TT Roadster lease early... maybe waiting 'til after the summer months. I would love to get some information about what's expected for the CTS in '06. Haven't seen anything yet.

jk
    Probably no real changes for 'o6 but Edmunds indicates that there will be major changes inside and out in '07.
  • cherie1cherie1 Posts: 16
    Can 1 of you CTS owners tell me if the drivers seat has leg extensions like the 05 Avalon? Thanks. C
    I am not sure what you mean by leg extensions as I am not familar with the Avalon, but if you mean an adjustable bolster on the front edge of the seat the answer is no. However the seat on the CTS is very deep (deeper than my wifes Honda)and very supportive. I would suggest that you go to a Cadillac dealer, get in the seat and try various adjustments to the seat, and especially the backrest, to find a comfortable position. Then, if you buy the car get the memory package so that you can be sure of resetting the seat to your exact comfort position. It works great after someone else, such as a valet or the guy at the car wash moves the seat.