Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Your description matches what I saw also but there was no spoiler. Did the spoiler look good?
  • wallywallawallywalla Posts: 26
    The paint is quite good.I checked the car over very thoroughly. I believe that since black is so revealing that the dealers take more care with it. So far no scratches are showing. I think that a black car is slick when it's really clean. I do use a California duster to get the dust off, but I'm not a fanatic. With our drought restrictions, I can only really wash it every two weeks, so in between I can just bucket wash which isn't a problem because the car is so small.I thought that bugs should be removed ASAP because in the paint I could see faint outlines of where they were.I cleaned and re-waxed the spots and they are gone. Since I re-waxed , it doesn't seem to happen. The dealer must have used a quikie wax just for presentation. I swear that all the birds in the area like black for target practice though. I do not use car washes. I do not like the residue of soap that is left behind. Black isn't for everyone, but I like it. By the way, I did get $1500 off the window sticker with not much effort at all. All I said is what's your best deal?I was getting ready to try to negotiate but didn't have to. I also got a good price on my trade to boot. So go for it! Hope this helps.
  • jeasherjeasher Posts: 3
    Man. I could never trade my 3.2 CL-S for a car that ugly. 43k? Wow.
    Sorry, My black CTS has a window sticker of $33,888.It included the Luxury package, bright wheels and express sun roof only. If you want to compare vehicles then you're on the wrong message board. I'm the one that traded for it and it's just great!
  • necrosnecros Posts: 127
    I think jeasher was referring to rapster's post, not yours.

I'm also a little surprised at a 43K price tag. I don't think I've ever seen a CTS that expensive. Maybe rapster's in Canada...?
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    We had a 00' Deep Slate 300M, and I had the impression that the paint, while not great, was nothing spectacular. Mainly, just like so many other M's, the hood tended to chip easily, but we only had it for 18k miles before trading. That, and after being in a bit of an accident, 2 months later, $12k, and a lot of work, a lot of it got repainted.

Our new car is pure black, Onyx Black to be exact. And, it's huge, an Avalanche. Whether paint is all that great or not, a lot resides in the care. I operate a detailing business using only the best products (Klasse, Zaino, Platinum, etc.), and know what I'm doing, so our cars always look perfect. As long as you wash, dry, polish, and seal or wax properly, there shouldn't be a problem.

From what I've seen and heard, the CTS actually does have quite good paint. GM is really trying with this car, so quality is very important and apparent. As long as you enjoy being a constant perfectionist with the black paint (you know, never having a single mark in or on the paint-like me), are okay with the summer heat issues, and like buying quality car care products, not to mention love having that shimmering black car look, black is for you.

Hey, what about Copper Sunburst! I have to say, I'd be tied between that and black, only because orange is my favorite color.

Good luck, and don't tell the 300M guys I said this, but get rid of it and start enjoying something new and much nicer, like a CTS!!
    I sooner drive a car that looks less like a Accord thanx. Acura cars all look the same, dull and boring. They are good, but I don't like to blend in. CTS is no where near U$43K.
  • cybersaxcybersax Posts: 18
    With taxes, a fully loaded CTS will come to about $43,000. I believe that is what he must have meant.

Pre-tax, a fully loaded CTS tops out at $40,000.

"I sooner drive a car that looks less like a Accord thanx. Acura cars all look the same, dull and boring"

Exactly. Acura's are the kind of car that you don't know what they are until you pull up behind them and read the Acura logo. Even the pre-CTS, pre-Escalade 1990's Cadillac had more excitement than Acura ever will.
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Posts: 201
    If the V-6 is delayed GM will have lost me. That motor should have been ready to roll for the '03 CTS. The 3.2 is a fine motor, but the 3.6 would have caused a huge stir. Why can every import company do it and GM can't? Answer: until Lutz got there they lost their spirit. Hopefully they got their mojo back. And hopefully they'll produce the Cadillac Sixteen! Now that's a car!
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Posts: 1,058
    I wasn't real sure if I liked the spoiler or not. Kinda looked like a boomerang was put on the trunk - very angular spoiler. I would like to see another CTS with one, it might grow on me.
    bigdaddycoats : Spoilers look good on some cars and not on others. Not sure I can see it on the CTS, but who knows.

cybersax : Acura makes great cars but they have one of the worst design studios around They really need to grab an imagination. I guess they sell anyway though. Lots of people like to blend with the crowd I guess.
    Thanks for the info on using the resume feature. I must admit that I was not the source of the problem but my better half was. I don't usually use cruise but I took the CTS out today and had a chance to see how it really works. You're right about how it operates and resumes to the previous setting. I think it does work quite well. I must now inform the other half , that it does work , does resume , and how exactly to use it. Wish me luck!
    Good luck with your Blue Onyx CTS. It is probably the only color that I haven't seen.I agree that some are questioning the interior but I think that it is O.K. I also like a car that doesn't look like every other car on the road. But the clones are coming I'm sure. Did you order it or get it at a dealer?
  • Congrats. on the CTS.

If you don't mind me asking, what car that you had ordered cancelled in favor of the CTS? What car did you drove previously?

J "CaddyLac"
  • rapsterrapster Posts: 2
    Pix of my Blue Onyx CTS with two-tone interior at http://www.rancyland.net/cts

"Sounds like you represent the target market Caddy was going after..."

Ah, you're killing me! I hate to think I can be so easily pigeonholed! :-)

"I'm also a little surprised at a 43K price tag. I don't think I've ever seen a CTS that expensive. Maybe rapster's in Canada..."

Worse...California. Sticker was just under $40K with no give on the price, with tax and tags around $43K (as cybersax surmised)...and I DID say 'out the door'.

I started off with an order at Wayne Stead Cadillac in Walnut Creek CA with an estimated delivery in 6-8 weeks. A month later I called to see what was happening and the salesman casually mentioned that the order was on hold due to a 'parts shortage' with no new ETA (he didn't even call to let me know!). I then jumped on the 'net and found the very car I ordered at Reliable Pontiac Cadillac in Roseville (>2 hours away). I called at 10 at night; the sales manager was just turning the lights off and I claimed the car (which was still on the truck). A week later I had my CTS! Woohoo!

• automoleautomole Posts: 154
    ...I know what I'm doing on the paint upkeep and use Zaino, Mothers, etc...trust me, the paint on my 300M is HORRIBLE.

Currently I'm considering Copper Sunburst vs. Black. Black is my favorite car color but like you, I also like orange. I also like how the lighter colors make the CTS look a little bit larger where the darker colors tend to shrink the cars appearance a bit.

I plan on visiting the dealer this week to try and make a deal on the CTS and am hoping I won't 'eat it' too bad on my 300M trade-in.

Thanks for the info!
    "I started off with an order at Wayne Stead Cadillac in Walnut Creek CA with an estimated delivery in 6-8 weeks. A month later I called to see what was happening and the salesman casually mentioned that the order was on hold due to a 'parts shortage' with no new ETA (he didn't even call to let me know!). I then jumped on the 'net and found the very car I ordered at Reliable Pontiac Cadillac in Roseville (>2 hours away). I called at 10 at night; the sales manager was just turning the lights off and I claimed the car (which was still on the truck). A week later I had my CTS! Woohoo!"

The same thing happened to me. I placed an order for the CTS back in early April. The dealer told me that he would know in one week when GM would produce the car, and it would be delivered in 6 weeks. In mid-May, the dealer still had no idea when the car would be made. My Dad told me that he was going to cancel the order if the car didn't come in by July, since we need the car mostly for the summer (I don't get to take it up to college, and he'll be driving it for a while once he returns his Lexus in September).

So I spent the next few weeks frantically calling every single CTS dealer within 100 miles to locate a CTS with the luxury sports package, xenon headlights, and automatic transmission in silver, blue, or black. Both the xenon headlights and the luxury sports package were in extreme short supply, so I decided to compromise on the xenon headlights. Often times, dealers would get these cars on their lots, and they would be sold in a few hours. Ultimatly I was able to find something that I liked (black, luxury sports package, automatic tranmission, moonroof) at Don Massey Cadillac in Detroit (about 60 miles away). Just in the nick of time too, because some Cadillac dealers were getting pissed off at my repeated calls, and I was thinking about just forgetting the whole thing and going with a BMW or something.

It's good General Motors has a production cap on the CTS, but that production cap is ridiculously low - to the point that it might frustrate buyers away. They need to raise it to ~5,000 units a month.
  • fav002fav002 Posts: 25
    This car looks amazing in black, like an F-117 Stealth fighter, especially with the windows tinted. Of course it's a $@^#*! to keep clean, but it's worth it! Check out my pics below...

-FAV002

2003 Cadillac CTS
    Sable Black w/ 2-tone light gray / dark pewter interior
    CTS Luxury Sport Package
    Bose system w/ cassette & in-dash 6CD changer
    Getrag 5-speed manual
    High intensity discharge Xenon headlamps
    Express open sunroof
    Split-folding rear seat
    My CTS Pictures
    http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=2033

"Cadillac also fared well with two commercials for the CTS sports sedan, scoring 9.1 and 8.7.

"Using Led Zeppelin ended up being dramatic for them," Spinella said. "When we broke down 'What do you like?' Led Zeppelin ended up with a 9.5 among all age groups."

Cadillac's ad agency is D'Arcy Masius Benton & Bowles in Troy, Mich."

The marketing for the CTS thus far, particularly the Led Zeppelin commercials, have been fitting for the car. It's been an incredibly well thought out and well executed campaign.

• aaron_taaron_t Posts: 301
    Does anyone know what percentage of CTS's were purchased with the GM emplyee discount? I see a lot around the Detroit area which is to be expected, but just curious how many uninfluenced people were buying them vs. GM people looking for something different or new.

TIA
  • logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    I do not know about employee/v/non-employee figures. Last week the Chicago Tribune reported that more than 40% or the trade-ins for CTS were non-GM cars. This suggests at least a substantial number of CTS buyers did not have a previous employment or customer relationship to GM.