Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• Shadow, sorry for the delay in reply .. just getting back after a few days away. My 2003 3.2L/Auto has the same howl/whine ... very faint most of the time, worse on flat or very slight downgrade with very light accelerator load.

Dealer's mechanic (not just the service advisor) drove with me, heard and acknowledged the noise, and drove 2 other CTS (a used 2003 he had on the lot and a new late-build 2004) .. all had the same "characteristic" under the same conditions. I'm at 63,000 km on an 80,000 km GM Canada warranty and dealer assures that since complaint is noted and documented, there will be no issues if it becomes an acute problem after warranty expiry.

I'd rather live with it for now than have the diff replaced, 'cause you never know what other probs might appear as a result. If it was truly a mechanical problem that could cause premature failure, don't you think they'd have issued a TSB or recall by now rather than facing a huge liability later on? This is not a new problem .. seen at least 2 other threads in this group at different times on the subject.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    I think that the 2.8 V6 comes with plastic seats instead of leather too.
  • eaton53eaton53 Posts: 356
    "I think that the 2.8 V6 comes with plastic seats instead of leather too."

Yes... between that and the motor, that's giving away too much to save too little, IMO.
  • lesstl1lesstl1 Posts: 21
    You should examine my experience (#3355) and resolution (#3864), or search for "whine". I had the whine at 35 to 40 mph under light or no acceleration. It also disappeared at 45-50. I had to go along as a passenger to get them to hear it. But they replaced the differential and at 23,000 miles it has not re-occured.
  • jhl4jhl4 Posts: 18
    Have '04 base 3.6, noticed that the car alarm does not work. Has anyone else noticed a problem or had fixed? How long did it take to correct?
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    What exactly doesn't work?
  • jhl4jhl4 Posts: 18
    The car alarm. If I follow the manual to 'test' the alarm, it does not blow the horn and flash the lights.
    Actually, the alarm light on the dash does not remain lit after removing the key, as per the manual.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    Sounds like a malfunction. Have the dealer check it.
  • cu95cu95 Posts: 96
    Did you lock the car with the remote or with the door switch? Me recollection (it's been awhile since I read it) is that the manual made some comment that locking the car via the remote activated the alarm system, the implication that locking by other means did not.

Btw, who else thinks that the STS "Party Crasher" tv ad is one of the best car ads in a long time?
  • bporter1bporter1 Posts: 229
    I think that the STS ads are very good. I think all the Cadillac ads are pretty good.
  • goofagoofa Posts: 2
    Me too!
    The adds are the reason I bought my car.
  • tmacguytmacguy Posts: 37
    Hi again

The driver mirror has double angles, that is the edge of the mirror is convex and in addition it bent out more tward the edge hence extending the view coverage. Is this another export variation?

I am still waiting to see what 2005 will bring to the export market. For your info, the 3.6L engin was not offered for export for 2004 (only the 3.2L and a 2.6L engine were available), and a fire extinguisher under the passenger seat that was down right ugly was also new for 2004.
  • tmacguytmacguy Posts: 37
    I will again have to relace the front left shock absorber, again for the 3rd time. And this is a very wide spread problem here. I wonder how come it is not so common in the US? Are they using different shocks for US and Expoert? I have just completed 2 years with my 2003 CTS Lux Sport, and have 50,000 Km of the 100,000 km warranty (about 62,000 Mi warranty).

More news, only now is GM Mideast is issuing the Good Year tire recall. good, I was about to change my tires any way. My dealer scheduled me for next week to replace all 5 tires, along with the free 50,000 km service.

bye for now.
  • "what is the basis of your exalted knowledge of automobile sales that you know better than the professionals at Cadillac what sales tactics to use?"

First of all I love the CTS. I have sat in many and driven one around. It is a great car, but IMO it is not worth 42K even fully loaded for two reasons:
    1.) You could get a more powerful (even more powerful next year) G35 for like 37K fully loaded and
    2.)When i said about the whole more incentives thing, it diddnt come out of thin air, according to Edmunds:
    Of all brands, Mini spent the least on incentives in September, $13 per vehicle sold, while Scion spent only $89 and Acura spent just $251. At the other end of the spectrum, Cadillac spent the most on incentives, $6,281 per vehicle sold, followed by Lincoln at $5,566 and Mercury at $5,434. click here

I know that it could have been DTS and escallade doing all that, but what i'm saying is that they aggresively raised the price this time, and didn't add any meaningful new content like more hp or revamped interrior or something. THis could lead in incentives, I hope not but they need to be careful with this. I leive they raied the entry price $3,500 now.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,206
    Gotta love possessing an American vehicle in the lux-sports-sedan (or whatever) category.

If they're discounted enough, they'll move.

Imagine.

I guess the bright spot for the CTS people is to realize that the people who possess Lincoln LS's are in even worse shape.

What do you want to bet that my next vehicle will be "American?"
  • the entry price for the CTS is actually lower now with the arrival of the 2.8. I would much rather have a CTS over a G35 any day. Yes, the G does have slightly more power - 0-60 time is maybe a half second better at best. If you can actually tell the difference I would be surprised.
  • eaton53eaton53 Posts: 356
    "It is a great car, but IMO it is not worth 42K even fully loaded for two reasons:

1.) You could get a more powerful (even more powerful next year) G35 for like 37K fully loaded"

I'd have said for $42K you can get into a base STS, a nicer car than either the CTS or G35.

Most of the incentives are on the DeVille, which has huge dollars on the hood. The CTS has never had big incentives and I don't expect that to change.

As for resale, be happy you didn't buy an X-type.

"If you can actually tell the difference I would be surprised."

I haven't driven a G35, but if it's similar in ride quality to the BMW's I've driven there would be a big difference between it and the CTS and not in the Infiniti's favor. The ride/handling compromise on the new Caddys is just outstanding.
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 373
    Driving south on route one here in California I would much rather have the handleing of my Lux Sport CTS than a few extra hp. On a two lane curvy cliffside road with a couple of hundred foot drop into the Pacific Ocean speed aint goin to get you anywhere but handlin will keep you on the road.

As to the incentives Cadillac may be providing big incentives to get rid of last years Sevilles and Devilles and Escalades but they aren't giving much on CTS's. And if you really need to race G35's you can always get a CTSv.
  • I was trying to say that if any of us could tell the difference in acceleration between a G35 and a 3.6 CTS I would be surprised.

I have driven both and would choose a CTS with a 6-spd all day long.
  • Could you tell us please what the difference is betwen the G35 and the CTS? To my knowledge they are very similar, but the CTS costs more when comparatively equipped, but the 3.6L amazingly can be used with regular fuel.

I live the CTS interrior much more then G35, but next year the G35 is getting 18 inch wheels and i think more power. This is a big deal IMO.

The CTS-V is not in the same market as CTS and G35, if I wanna race a G35, I should be able to use a CTS.

The one thing keeping me from worshipping the car: the absence of a manumatic transmission. I heard something about it bieng avainable within a few years. That and the pricing...