Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• richw5richw5 Posts: 152
    I had over 18K miles on my original tires before they were replaced by Cadillac, on the Goodyear tire recall. They were barely worn.

The replacements are wearing about the same (very good), with the exception that one had to be replaced due to a sidewall cut. Don't know if I backed into something or someone deliberately cut the tire.

My only problem has been a recent snow/ice storm about a week ago. My wife had to stop half way up the hill to our house, due to a neighbor suddenly backing out of his driveway. Once she stopped, there wasn't enough traction to start back up the hill. It took three of us to give her a push start. There are a few times when snow tires would be appreciated here in the Chicago area.
  • CTS has hit the 50,000 mark - 50953 sales for the year!
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Posts: 202
    I have the Lux Package and replaced my 16" Goodyears at 30,000. At 30,000 my tires were in terrible shape, cupping and very loud. The tires were great for the first 20,000 miles and then started major cupping. I did drive my CTS hard during that first 20,000 miles. I replaced my Goodyears with Conti Touring Contact CH95 tires. I gave up some handling, but gained a quieter and smoother ride. I have put 22,000 miles on the Conti's and no cupping, have been very good tires so far.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,206
    Congratulations, guys.

Once again, it appears the CTS is doing what they told us the Lincoln LS was going to do.

Talk is cheap.
  • scott1scott1 Posts: 50
    "Hi,
    I've read lots of posts about the rear end whine in the CTS and lots of people who had them replaced by Cadillac. I haven't seen a single one that said the rear end failed or broke down."

I havn't heard of the rear differential failing from anyone either, just varying degrees of noise, some much more obtrusive then others. When mine started whining, I could hear it clearly inside the car, windows up. I also had a grinding noise from the rear end when I would corner at speeds of 25 to 35 mph.

I was upset about it because the whine is not normal...I've owned lots of cars before, RWD, FWD, and 4WD, and none of them had a rear differential whine except my $43,000 Cadillac.
  • danf1danf1 Posts: 935
    The roads around here aren't sandpaper, but many of them are chipped which definitely increases tire wear.
  • Dan, did you decide if you're putting snow treads on your CTS?

I just ordered a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M3s from Tirerack. They seem very highly rated and are much cheaper then Blizzaks.
  • I feel that the rear end whine is not a reason to decide not to buy a CTS. On the other hand I see no reason to to put up with it on a luxury automobile. See my post 5886 on this subject. It was fixed quickly and we have since come up to Canada and it has not come back. I wear hearing aids and without them I found it very annoying. My wife, on the other hand who can hear a cockroach crawling across a carpet, claims she never heard the whine. Go figure.
  • My feeling on service is follow the mfgs recommendations. I traded in a 95 Saab 900SE with 115,00 miles in on my 1994 CTS LuxSport. The recommended oil change interval on the Saab (no fancy computer mind you) was 7500 miles under normal driving conditions. That's what I did and the engine was ticking like a clock when I traded. As for the things that went wrong; the rusted out exhaust sytem, the broken engine mount and assorted other minor things extra service would have not prevented any of them. I expect to bring my CTS into the dealer when the computer tells me to neither before nor later.
    The rear end whine may not be a reason not to buy a CTS, but it may be a reason not to buy another CTS. My 2003 CTS has over 50,000 miles and the whine, I plan to trade cars in the spring of 2005. I would like to buy another CTS, but not with a rear end whine. I understand some 2005 CTS owners have the whine problem. When in the hell is GM going to put this problem to bed. If GM wants repeat buyers the whine problem must be fixed.
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 373
    I have an appointment to take my 2003 in Tuesday afternoon to have the differential replaced with what my dealer tells me is a newly designed replacement for the unit which has be causing the whine problem.

Apparently it has taken some time for Cadillac to recognize the problem as widespread, and then some time to develop a solution, but they appear to have done it. I will let everyone know next week what I find out.
    Thanks for info. Keep us posted, I hope GM has finally corrected this problem.
  • danf1danf1 Posts: 935
    I'm trying to wait until after the holidays. It looks like we might get a late start to winter. The Dunlops did catch my eye because we can get them here, but I haven't compared cost yet.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Anyone watch the Simpsons tonight? The reporter on the episode was driving a CTS. I thought that was pretty cool, wonder if there is a CTS fan on the creative side?
  • l943973l943973 Posts: 197
    NavTraffic will be standard equipment in the 2005 CTS. The same real-time traffic info that is currently offered in the 2005 Acura RL.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/041214/sirius_navteq_2.html
  • or have any been shipped to dealers?
  • pbeerspbeers Posts: 26
    I wonder - I went last weekend to a couple of Caddy dealers to test drive a manual 2005 CTS and all I could find were automatics. Are there many 6 spd's being sold?
  • On some other Cadillac boards there are quite a few people who have bought them. I think most were ordered and not taken off dealer lots.

I do not think most dealers stock them. That is really too bad. I know the market is small, but it is important to try and get sales from BMW and others that do offer manuals and have them in stock.
  • or can you provide a link to other CTS boards? I have place the CTS on my short list, based on driving impressions of the auto and qualifying for GMS pricing. I would love to have a manual with the larger V6. I am also considering 300C,GTO, and a couple SUVs that can be had below 35K. I like fun to drive vehicles, but with some practically.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Just a friendly reminder - your Membership Agreement does not allow us to send folks to other automotive message boards ...

Sorry.